Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
IANAL but if the basis of your law is just "gays are icky I don't like them because reasons" that's animus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What is "animus" in this case? I'm not familiar with the term as applied to laws.
Bad Japanese cartoons. :v:

I think as used here it's not in a strictly legal sense (mens rea would be a rough legal equivalent but implies something more specific) but just to imply that they are motivated purely by enmity or ill will, they cannot prove a material reason or definition of harm as understood by a court, just that they hate the group in question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So... presumably you also have to have a better reason for granting a right or freedom than "becuase freedom good"?

Or does it only work for banning stuff?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

OwlFancier posted:

What is "animus" in this case? I'm not familiar with the term as applied to laws.

It originated in US Department of Agriculture v. Moreno in 1973, where Congress made it so 'hippies' and 'hippie communes' couldn't get food stamps.
The Supreme Court struck down the law, explaining that,

quote:

For if the constitutional conception of "equal protection of the laws" means anything, it must, at the very least, mean that a bare congressional desire to harm a politically unpopular group cannot constitute a legitimate governmental interest.
The concept of animus has expanded somewhat since then, but that's basically it.
Here's 47 pages on animus if you want the long answer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

joat mon posted:

It originated in US Department of Agriculture v. Moreno in 1973, where Congress made it so 'hippies' and 'hippie communes' couldn't get food stamps.
The Supreme Court struck down the law, explaining that,

The concept of animus has expanded somewhat since then, but that's basically it.
Here's 47 pages on animus if you want the long answer.

Ah so presumably yes only for restricting rights/freedoms rather than granting them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

So... presumably you also have to have a better reason for granting a right or freedom than "becuase freedom good"?

As I understand the legal principles, the rights which are recognized are supposed to be inherent to all humans, so the law can never actually "grant" a right or freedom, only constrain what already exists.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Setting aside animus for a moment, most laws only need to have a 'rational basis' to be constitutional. This is an extremely low bar. (as it should be, most of the time) 'Freedom good' is a rational basis. In the case of Mississippi's 'religious freedom' law, the "freedom good' argument couldn't be enough because that freedom impacted other constitutional rights, which took it out of a rational basis analysis. In essence, 'freedom good' that applied only to certain sects and/or beliefs and also stripped constitutionally recognized rights from others didn't cut it.

OwlFancier posted:

Ah so presumably yes only for restricting rights/freedoms rather than granting them.
No, restricting vs granting rights is more six of one/half dozen of another thing. MS's law granted rights to some, which restricted the rights of others.

Animus analysis wasn't necessary to strike down the Mississippi law, but MS's continued whinging to the 5th Circuit about losing was enough for the 5th to say basically, "Look. You lose and you're going to keep losing. Even if everything went your way and we just ignored the established Constitutional rights of everyone impacted by the law except for your little coterie of religious bigots, you'd still lose because the statute and your briefs are dripping with animus."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tony Perkins house was destroyed by floods in LA. Had to escape by canoe

quote:

An opportunity for Christians to rejoice that God considers them “worthy of suffering for his sake.” And to “use this as an incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.”

https://soundcloud.com/family-research-council/20160816-tony-perkins

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
North Carolina filed its brief defending HB2 today:

quote:

The brief contains more than a few absurd statements. Here are some highlights of the most abhorrent. It’s worth noting that none of these are true:

“Intersex” isn’t a real thing. (p9)
Pretty much every man everywhere is just dying to dress like a woman and sneak into bathrooms to molest your daughters. (p22)
Law enforcement officials won’t be able to arrest anyone for doing anything wrong because of non-discrimination laws. (p23)
The NCAA has a standard of acceptance for trans people in sports teams, which justifies NC’s discrimination. (p26)
People who have different types of genitalia are scary. (p28)
Gender identity is nothing more than a “feeling” that people use to trick others. (p30)
An injunction would prohibit the people of NC from governing themselves (even though HB2 prohibits local municipalities from governing themselves). (p31)
The reality of verbal and physical attacks trans people suffer isn’t worth writing a law against because it’s abuse from citizens, not the State. (p34)
Because trans people don’t go to the police to report safety concerns, their concerns aren’t valid. (p34)
Non-discrimination laws would mean “any male” could use a women’s restroom legally. (p34)
Trans people claim they won’t use the bathroom because of safety concerns but that’s not true nor a good reason for a safety law. (p35) (Yes, it’s true that trans folks avoid the bathroom for safety, here’s a study.)
Treating trans people with respect and letting them use the proper bathroom isn’t a good treatment for gender dysphoria. (p35)
Gender dysphoria goes away once puberty starts. (p36)
Any harms to trans people are outweighed by harms to non-trans people. (p37)
Even if a trans person is harmed by anti-trans policies, just being trans is harm enough and they’re already suffering, so harming them more is ok. (p37)
Since “gender identity” isn’t real and only “biological sex” is, HB2 doesn’t discriminate against transgender people. (p44)
Since non-discrimination laws that mention gender identity have never passed Congress, we don’t need to worry about it. (p46)
None of this applies to Title IX since external genitalia is the only thing that matters in determining sex. (everywhere)
North Carolina’s brief goes from bad to worse to absolutely disgusting and can be summed up in one sentence: The idea of transgender people messes with what we think our world is and that scares the crap out of us, so it’s bad and wrong.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/rjmedwed/north_carolina_s_newest_brief_supporting_hb2_is_as_abhorrent_as_you_d_expect

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad the brief set the tone with the bit that has been medically and scientifically shown to be wrong, it helps anyone that's undecided about taking it seriously.

quote:

Gender identity is nothing more than a “feeling” that people use to trick others.
Does that mean that people whose gender identity matches their body/birth assigned sex are tricking people? :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

I'm glad the brief set the tone with the bit that has been medically and scientifically shown to be wrong, it helps anyone that's undecided about taking it seriously.

Does that mean that people whose gender identity matches their body/birth assigned sex are tricking people? :ohdear:

I think the saddest and funniest part is that they are actually being advised that this sort of argument will be taken seriously...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Here it is:
http://files.eqcf.org/cases/116-cv-00425-149/
The brief itself is 'only' 72 of the 518 pages.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Hobby Lobby apparently lets "tightly held" companies engage in sex discrimination, including against LGBTQ individuals.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot wait to see these clowns get destroyed in court.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good news is if this actually makes it back to the SCOTUS they will have the ability to flip hobby lobby.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Cox found that the EEOC’s solution, an employment discrimination lawsuit, is not the “least restrictive means” of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace. Instead, Cox wrote that the EEOC and Rost should have attempted to work out a compromise—for instance, forcing Stephens to wear gender-neutral clothing at work to mask her transition.

:psyduck:

The least restrictive means of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace is for employees to quit whining about discriminatory treatment, then there's no problem!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Cox

"President George W. Bush nominated Cox to the federal bench on September 10, 2004 to fill a vacancy left by Judge Lawrence Zatkoff. Due to the opposition of Michigan Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow, Cox's nomination was not voted on until June 8, 2006, when he was confirmed by voice vote."

I know the answer, let's vote for Gary Johnson!!!!!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Otteration posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Cox

"President George W. Bush nominated Cox to the federal bench on September 10, 2004 to fill a vacancy left by Judge Lawrence Zatkoff. Due to the opposition of Michigan Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow, Cox's nomination was not voted on until June 8, 2006, when he was confirmed by voice vote."

I know the answer, let's vote for Gary Johnson!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53XThNjW6pY

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

VitalSigns posted:

:psyduck:

The least restrictive means of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace is for employees to quit whining about discriminatory treatment, then there's no problem!

That'll almost certainly get flipped by the Circuit as per PwC v. Hopkins.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

That'll almost certainly get flipped by the Circuit as per PwC v. Hopkins.

On the the other hand, Michigan is under the aegis of the Sixth Circuit, a.k.a. the reason that Obergefell was the case that went to SCOTUS.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I still feel that if someone is gonna use Hobby Lobby as part of their case they should have to show how they follow the rest of the their religious tenants.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AlexJade posted:

I still feel that if someone is gonna use Hobby Lobby as part of their case they should have to show how they follow the rest of the their religious tenants.

Sadly that's a really slippery road and would likely lead to testing if muslim women are really Muslim enough to wear a hijab or if jews are jewish enough to take off for High Holidays.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

"You see that, John. EVERY MAN WANTS TO DRESS UP AS A WOMAN AND PEEP ON KIDS. IT ISN'T JUST ME." These people would probably be the best episodes on to Catch a Predator if that show still existed because they seem so drat knowledgeable about this particular fantasy for some reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crabtree posted:

"You see that, John. EVERY MAN WANTS TO DRESS UP AS A WOMAN AND PEEP ON KIDS. IT ISN'T JUST ME." These people would probably be the best episodes on to Catch a Predator if that show still existed because they seem so drat knowledgeable about this particular fantasy for some reason.

It isn't coincidence that half the pedophiles that get arrested in the South are associated with Church groups or Religious Youth groups :ssh:

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

A lot of right wing groups and sites seem to be citing a paper published in The New Atlantic, a scientific ethics journal associated with several right wing groups. It was co-authored by Paul McHugh of John Hopkins university, who argued that Transgenderism is a mental illness.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/number-50-fall-2016

The guy seems to misuse the results of several other papers to make his argument, and even the authors of those studies have called him out on it.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/22/almost-everything-the-media-tells-you-about-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-is-wrong/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/johns-hopkins-professor-e_b_9510808.html

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Unsurprisingly, the author of that study, Lawrence Mayer, is heavily cited in NC's HB2 brief.

There is a tendency of this happening, though; Cecilia Dhenje is on the record as being incredibly annoyed that her study on suicidality in trans people is being used to argue against trans rights devoid of the context of the paper.

There are also worrying cottage industries dedicated to throwing scientific inquiry out of the window to conform to their authors' prejudices. Sexology has almost entirely gone that way. There's a similar cottage industry of TERF journalists embedded in British centre-left discourse. :negative:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

shadowvine118 posted:

A lot of right wing groups and sites seem to be citing a paper published in The New Atlantic, a scientific ethics journal associated with several right wing groups. It was co-authored by Paul McHugh of John Hopkins university, who argued that Transgenderism is a mental illness.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/number-50-fall-2016

The guy seems to misuse the results of several other papers to make his argument, and even the authors of those studies have called him out on it.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/22/almost-everything-the-media-tells-you-about-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-is-wrong/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/johns-hopkins-professor-e_b_9510808.html

Paul McHugh is infamous. Johns Hopkins was at one time a leading edge institution in transgender health care. The earliest form of the male-to-female sex reassignment surgery was first documented there. He actively sought to be hired by Johns Hopkins to run their transgender care programs in order to destroy it from the inside. He's had the opinions he does since long before he had anything to do with transgender healthcare. It would be a bit like Tony Perkins taking a job as an auditor for Title IX compliance or something.

He's an rear end in a top hat and anyone who cites him is an rear end in a top hat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Paul McHugh is infamous. Johns Hopkins was at one time a leading edge institution in transgender health care. The earliest form of the male-to-female sex reassignment surgery was first documented there. He actively sought to be hired by Johns Hopkins to run their transgender care programs in order to destroy it from the inside. He's had the opinions he does since long before he had anything to do with transgender healthcare. It would be a bit like Tony Perkins taking a job as an auditor for Title IX compliance or something.

He's an rear end in a top hat and anyone who cites him is an rear end in a top hat.

Is there a article on him about this that can be read ? That's insane.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hollismason posted:

Is there a article on him about this that can be read ? That's insane.

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-the-doctor-social-conservatives-depend-on-to-justify-anti-transgender-hate-fe764009b93
https://www.glaad.org/cap/paul-mchugh
http://transadvocate.com/clinging-to-a-dangerous-past-dr-paul-mchughs-selective-reading-of-transgender-medical-literature_n_13842.htm
http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/12/15/scary-science-johns-hopkins-university

His continued employment is especially distressing to me because Johns Hopkins is one of my company's longstanding customers and we have met a gross amount of resistance from them and some others in trying to improve trans healthcare. It's really distressing, as a queer trans woman, to be on a conference call and hear actual medical practitioners giggle at the word "queer".

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress Wikileaks

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/08/23/wikileaks-outs-gay-people-in-saudi-arabia-in-reckless-mass-data-dump/

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jesus, they're not even loving trying to pretend to have standards.

quote:

Embattled WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange, who has spent years hiding in London’s Ecuadorian Embassy, said previously: “The Saudi Cables lift the lid on an increasingly erratic and secretive dictatorship that has not only celebrated its 100th beheading this year, but which has also become a menace to its neighbours and itself.”

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Keeshhound posted:

Even worse he's acting like a hero for blowing the lid off a dictatorship.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No, but you see, it's the fault of vigilantes and dictators if people get hurt, you can't hold someone accountable for what they leak. :smug:

-- What people actually believe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Keeshhound posted:

Ms Manning might have some room to appeal for a less garbage sentence based on "no, seriously, I thought based on their existing record at the time that these people were responsible journalists, but hey, turns out they're lunatic assholes and that's hardly my fault". :saddowns:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pussy Cartel posted:

No, but you see, it's the fault of vigilantes and dictators if people get hurt, you can't hold someone accountable for what they leak. :smug:

-- What people actually believe.

Honestly, you could almost make a legitimate argument out of that. It'd be weak as hell, but it would at least be logically consistent if this leak actually produced anything good, but it's Saudi Arabia. Everyone already knows it's a repressive hellhole.

This isn't news, Julian, you just outed a bunch of people for no loving benefit except to stroke your own ego. gently caress. I remember NPR did an interview with him where they asked him "No, seriously, did you get the DNC emails from the Russians?" and you could just hear the satisfaction in his voice as he simpered "We're not going to just give up our sources, we adhere to strict standards." Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't enough that he doxxed a ton of women voters in Turkey right after the coup, he just had to build on his stunning successes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hang Julian Assange until dead

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Zero Dark Thirty 2: Electric Killthefuckerloo

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 24, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In shocking news, Julian Assange gains further traction on being a huge shitbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aesop Poprock posted:

Tempting, but I'd rather just kidnap him from the embassy and deliver him to the authorities' door so he can be tried as a rapist.

• Locked thread