Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you call that worthless?

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BBJoey posted:

you call that worthless?

:bsdsnype:

I really wish Tynan would see stuff like this and think hey maybe there's a few too many backgrounds that disable everything useful. Tynan also hates fun though, so everything might be according to plan.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Danaru posted:

I really wish Tynan would see stuff like this and think hey maybe there's a few too many backgrounds that disable everything useful. Tynan also hates fun though, so everything might be according to plan.

I'd actually like to see a mod that replaces "X disabled" with "Hates X". The colonist is still capable of doing the job, but gets an increasing mood debuff the longer they do a job they hate.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'd actually like to see a mod that replaces "X disabled" with "Hates X". The colonist is still capable of doing the job, but gets an increasing mood debuff the longer they do a job they hate.

Along similar lines, I'd like it if work priorities were based on passions. So Very Passionate can be set to 1 priority, passionate can be set to 2, none set to 3, and what is disabled set to a max of 4. That way everyone can still do everything.

I'd also like to see a system where skills don't degrade but passions are more fluid though. Let there be a very small chance people develop passions or hatreds for something they are working in frequently, and a chance to lose them if they haven't done it for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a sharp limit as well, OC is frozen and 1C is refrigerated. There's no gradient between them.

Though, the colder it is up to freezing the slower it spoils, food at 1 degree will still take like years to go off.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I use RedistHeat (I think) and set up a two tier freezer/fridge system with active vents. The fridge side has the meals and the vents are set to 0C. The coolers in the freezer are set to -10C. Tends to keep the freezer arou,d -6 or so and the fridge dances between 1 and 0.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danaru posted:

I think a lot of the backgrounds that disable tasks are from backers who don't want their special snowflake to end up hauling all day and/or stabbed in the face.

The unstable butcher background is pretty funny though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Am I crazy or do pawns get a lot more "Incapable of"s? I haven't played much for about two versions or so, and it seems like it's gone from "an occasional annoyance" to "mandatory on any pawn with vaguely usable skills".

Also is there a list of all the backer backgrounds? I've only noticed a couple offhand because I'm bad at paying attention to fluff.

Also also I just lost my first Randy/Rough colony and you're all completely right, this is absolutely the way to go (despite how hard I got hellowned in the end).

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LLSix posted:

backers

oh that explains the vat-grown sex slaves

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LLSix posted:

I think a lot of the backgrounds that disable tasks are from backers who don't want their special snowflake to end up hauling all day and/or stabbed in the face.

The unstable butcher background is pretty funny though.

Hilarious if true. Compare that to Prison Architect, where all the "locked up for l33t haxxor" backer snowflakes end up getting stabbed over a pack of cigarretes

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Anybody have tips on how to have a dependable food supply without needing stupid amounts of crop fields? I always feel like I'm just barely feeding my colony and winters are terrifying. Maybe the answer is just plant more fields forever.

loving love this game though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ChickenWing posted:

Am I crazy or do pawns get a lot more "Incapable of"s? I haven't played much for about two versions or so, and it seems like it's gone from "an occasional annoyance" to "mandatory on any pawn with vaguely usable skills".

Also is there a list of all the backer backgrounds? I've only noticed a couple offhand because I'm bad at paying attention to fluff.

Also also I just lost my first Randy/Rough colony and you're all completely right, this is absolutely the way to go (despite how hard I got hellowned in the end).

I got so frustrated with all the incapables that I installed a mod that enables hauling and cleaning on everybody. Sure it's cheating blah blah blah, shut up and haul that rock, I don't care if you were a glitterworld umpire or whatever.

Yeah thanks to everyone who recommended Randy Random, this is a lot more fun. I just had a seige and a raid within one day of each other, but due to some luck and a lot of careful micro I've got a larder prison bursting with organs potential colonists.

Also a blight just destroyed all my crops so we're probably going to have to "release" some prisoners to get through the famine.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bunleigh posted:

Anybody have tips on how to have a dependable food supply without needing stupid amounts of crop fields? I always feel like I'm just barely feeding my colony and winters are terrifying. Maybe the answer is just plant more fields forever.

Kill everything on the map, basically. Hunting'll give you pretty decent amounts of food for any animal bigger than a raccoon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bunleigh posted:

Have you been sending people out hunting? It's a decent supply of meat, plus you get shooting, cooking, and tailoring XP out of it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hilarious if true. Compare that to Prison Architect, where all the "locked up for l33t haxxor" backer snowflakes end up getting stabbed over a pack of cigarretes

Oh god the special snowflakes (and their hilariously inconsistent crimes) were the greatest part of PA.

I remember getting one of the generic "hardcore edgelord assassin killer marty stu" types who had been arrested for littering or something, it was friggin' great.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Have you been sending people out hunting? It's a decent supply of meat, plus you get shooting, cooking, and tailoring XP out of it.

I have, however during the winter I just suffered through, there was toxic fallout for like 12 days straight that killed all wildlife.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LLSix posted:

Which is funny because it increases the chance that the snowflake will end up as an organ farm

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bunleigh posted:

I have, however during the winter I just suffered through, there was toxic fallout for like 12 days straight that killed all wildlife.

In that case yeah, planting larger fields or making hydroponics will help. If there is no game and you haven't researched hydroponics then you can always cannibalize raiders as well

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Which is why the best backer backgrounds (like mine) are written vaguely so that they fit any crime they happen to end up in your prison for. :ssh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are prosthophobes / prosthophiles upset / pleased by low-tech stuff like peg legs, or do they only respond to bionic implants?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Are prosthophobes / prosthophiles upset / pleased by low-tech stuff like peg legs, or do they only respond to bionic implants?

Prosthophiles are, if I remember, severely unimpressed by having a lovely peg leg.

Sadly they are not nerds from the internet and will not be amazed by jamming magnets in them at random.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Only bionics. Which is nice in the case of prosthophobes at least, because it means that if they lose a leg you can make them semi-mobile again without them flipping their poo poo over not being a waste of space and resources. Had that happen once before I knew that peg legs didn't count and felt guilty letting them starve to death in bed rather than stay there forever. :(

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i love that my guy is still in his honeymoon period after his wife got killed

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

All was going reasonably well until a trader and his pet cow triggered one of my IEDs and now they're hostile :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Freaksaus posted:

Do I take a faction hit if I capture the traveler? I can of course rescue them but I could always use more people.

yes, capturing will cause a faction hit. rescuing causes a faction raise

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible to raise reputation with pirate factions? I released one back to them in good health, but nothing happened to our relationship. Of course I only did it because they were incapable of anything and had an annoying voice, so maybe the pirates didn't appreciate it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think pirates are the only faction you can't raise reputation with to get them to stop attacking. Because god forbid you don't deal with 70 people assaulting your base every three days

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
How do you dispose of all the garbage clothes and weapons left behind by dead raiders?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bunleigh posted:

How do you dispose of all the garbage clothes and weapons left behind by dead raiders?

If you have electric smelters you can melt weapons; if you're using the Mending mod you can repair whatever clothes there are and stick it in a stockpile to be sold to traders.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Otherwise just sell them off to passing traders for three space bucks each

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bunleigh posted:

clothes go in the incinerator along with their corpses (unless you're eating them)

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Otherwise just sell them off to passing traders for three space bucks each

I've been doing that when I can but traders don't always want my tattered muffalo t-shirts and turkeyskin pants

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Combat Realism mod, had a siege appear and set up just outside my colony. I send out my men to fight them off like I usually do for sieges. One of their guys comes out with an incendiary launcher and shoots a bunch of shots at my people who are all in a heavily forested area. The fire begins to spread to their little siege camp to the point where they have to start fighting the fire, but they aren't making much head way. I decide to stop risking my men and just have them retreat, beating a path through the flames. In the end they retreat when half of them have burned to death in the fire that they themselves caused.

All I really lost was my front wall, which was wood at the time(now replaced with stone blocks), as the area beyond that was completely barren. The only downside is that most of their equipment burned in the inferno. I did send out my people to put out the fire afterwards to keep it from spreading too far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/765289107375415296

#2 here in the US, step it up Canucks

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 15, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Given that the games above it are and awful, overhyped game and a preorder, respectively, it's pretty impressive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the youtube recommendation earlier. Think I'll pick this up soon after my love for DFO wanes again.

Based on what I've seen so far it looks like I can kind of sort of bumblefuck around sight unseen and be okay, but barring that, is there any ingame tutorial?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the youtube recommendation earlier. Think I'll pick this up soon after my love for DFO wanes again.

Based on what I've seen so far it looks like I can kind of sort of bumblefuck around sight unseen and be okay, but barring that, is there any ingame tutorial?

The tutorial basically amounts to making you click on the tabs, but nothing really like a decent handhold-y "this is how you make a building and assign jobs and make a freezer" type campaign mode.

It isn't that hard to figure out overall, just don't be like the new guys I see on youtube that build an oven, click bills, say "WHAT THE gently caress ARE BILLS ANYWAY, NOT MESSING WITH THAT MENU YET" and 5 minutes later start ranting about their lazy rear end in a top hat colonists not making any food.

Honestly just load up quill18's latest LP's first episode and watch the first 10 minutes where he lands on the planet, immediately pauses it, and gets all the work priorities set up and gets some basic jobs going, and you should have all the groundwork you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOjsEAHqyfE

The only caveat is that he's using the work tab, animals tab, and medical tab mods (which are all on the workshop and all amazing UI enhancements) so some of the tabs won't look the same if you're doing vanilla

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Man, I've had a volcanic winter going on for 27 days (I'm mostly solar powered) and I'm about a week into toxic fallout, not good base building weather.

I have two big problems, the first is food, I butchered everything I could on the map without getting toxic buildup so I have 35 meals and about 450 meat for 8 colonists, about ten meals each. I haven't seen another animal other than an Alphabeaver swarm that decided for some reason it didn't want to stick around the barren hellhole I find myself in and went away. I do have some indoor growing facilities but they won't support 8 people so I'm ok for now but it's a worry since I'm used to just shooting things when food gets low.

The other is power, I have eight lots of solar power and two wind turbines but there's a volcanic winter on and I've just set up my indoor farming so it's not doing it unless it's windy. I have four wood burners but it's no fun trying to keep them fueled when outside is poison and everything is dying.

Looks like tough times ahead. I'm drowning in fabrics and furs so a trade ship or caravan or even a friendly cargo pod drop would be really, really nice.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can actually stay outside for a good long time in toxic fallout. Just watch your guys and let them recover whenever they hit minor. Even serious is rarely an issue, but keep it to emergencies.

What I tend to do is unrestrict them one by one and let them go get acid rained on in shifts and stuff can still get done (if slowly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Azhais posted:

You can actually stay outside for a good long time in toxic fallout. Just watch your guys and let them recover whenever they hit minor. Even serious is rarely an issue, but keep it to emergencies.

What I tend to do is unrestrict them one by one and let them go get acid rained on in shifts and stuff can still get done (if slowly)

This is true unless it starts raining. If it starts raining and you got folks outside they are pretty much hosed.