Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It's weird but it's a big relief to drive back into NYC proper from Long Island at night and see modern white lights on the highway instead of the orange things. There's an exact spot where it happens and the difference is so dramatic, it's like your eyes relax or something

e: are people really upset about losing those :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

It's weird but it's a big relief to drive back into NYC proper from Long Island at night and see modern white lights on the highway instead of the orange things. There's an exact spot where it happens and the difference is so dramatic, it's like your eyes relax or something

I mean they do have value in making everything look creepy. :shrug:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I have a lot of memories of orange lit snowy nights, so I'll miss that juxtaposition of warm and cold. But if white light could help drivers see better and even help them stay awake at night, I'm all for that.

Gonna write tons of weird digs about it in every story I tell, though, long past the point people really even understand what I'm saying.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

d0s posted:

I don't know if any significant number of people are actually upset about it, but here's an article from 2014 about how changing the lights in LA will affect the film industry:

http://gizmodo.com/led-streetlights-will-change-hollywood-and-make-every-c-1514840416

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I lived through the change to sodium lights and the change back to white lights, and I always hated the yellow lights. You could never tell the real color of anything under them, and everything looked sick and/or weird, so it was always disorienting. Just my opinion. But when he mentions them in his stories it evokes a very specific time period, so there is that, I suppose.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I lived through the change to sodium lights and the change back to white lights, and I always hated the yellow lights. You could never tell the real color of anything under them, and everything looked sick and/or weird, so it was always disorienting. Just my opinion. But when he mentions them in his stories it evokes a very specific time period, so there is that, I suppose.

It's really disgusting.

But oh well, the important thing is for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists to see each other on the street and not ya know.

Looks like vomit but it's better than seeing someones dura mater.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Doing a bit of a re-read, and I know that "From a Buick 8" gets a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I just want to say that that first bit, where Sandy is talking about how Ned came to be part of Troop D is about as nice a bit of slice of life storytelling as you'll ever see. Like it really happened and King is just describing the reality.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

navyjack posted:

Doing a bit of a re-read, and I know that "From a Buick 8" gets a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I just want to say that that first bit, where Sandy is talking about how Ned came to be part of Troop D is about as nice a bit of slice of life storytelling as you'll ever see. Like it really happened and King is just describing the reality.

I haven't seen it get much poo poo, it's one of his best later novels imo

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Yeah From a Buick 8 is good stuff.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah From a Buick 8 is good stuff.

I rarely read King (or any fiction really) to be scared, but the dissection scene gave me chills. King's earthly description of an unearthly thing was gruesome without exaggeration. I remember enjoying the book as a whole, but this part never left my memory.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

beep beep

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I believe the dead orange lights produce less light pollution into the sky and make it easier for telescopes to see space things.

Also, I'm really looking forward to It. Nervously.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I believe the dead orange lights produce less light pollution into the sky and make it easier for telescopes to see space things.

Also, I'm really looking forward to It. Nervously.

I'm worried it's not gonna be as satisfying as Stranger Things.

But I have hope (that it won't be 8 hours long)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hmm.

Interesting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No, absolutely not. In fact they're quite a big problem for light pollution! While it's possible to use them in a way that reduces light pollution, much like you can most any other light source, the way they actually got installed back in the day and still get installed now doesn't do that.

LEDs do great at reducing light pollution because of how easy they are to direct, though. And also because the wider spectrum of light means you need to put out less actual light to maintain usefulness at street level - you need a decent bit more of that orange light to ensure people can see what they need to see versus the blue-to-white LED light.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Huh, if he went missing when he was 13 and was born in 1976, then everything takes place in 1989 and the present day.

I wonder if there's an app for monster hunting?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

yeah totally not the case, when I lived in south florida there was a city called Tamarac that used the lights so heavily you could see an orange cloud over the whole thing at night from far away. newspapers and stuff called it "the tamarac glow" and wrote about how it was disrupting all kinds of stuff

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/16/pennywise-costume-stephen-king-it-movie

They made Pennywise look super dark and evil, and I don't like it.

quote:

While this isn’t the bright and cheery Pennywise, Bryant’s version of the character prefers to camouflage himself and strike rather than lure children with lively plumage.

uh why, that's stupid

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it looks like poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Looks OK to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did you read the book.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's almost like movies don't have to be 1:1 translations of the books they're based on.

That said it looks pretty dumb to me too

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
sad news

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/765225436553109504

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

did you read the book.

I read it, yeah.

Sorry the Pennywise pic doesn't bother me. They probably felt overly compelled to go in a complete opposite direction from Curry since that performance was so god damned good. Also, if I remember the book and the TV show right, Pennywise's appearance evolved and changed a lot depending on the scene so maybe this photo is just one iteration of him.

Like, didn't he have fangs, yellow cat eyes and all sorts of poo poo at different parts of the story?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I read it, yeah.

Sorry the Pennywise pic doesn't bother me. They probably felt overly compelled to go in a complete opposite direction from Curry since that performance was so god damned good. Also, if I remember the book and the TV show right, Pennywise's appearance evolved and changed a lot depending on the scene so maybe this photo is just one iteration of him.

Like, didn't he have fangs, yellow cat eyes and all sorts of poo poo at different parts of the story?

Yeah, remaking Curry's take on it would be a bad idea. Gotta go in a different direction. Not sure if that's the right one but time will tell.

Also just finished up season 4 of Orange is the New Black, and there's a prison guard watching over a body that had been buried beneath corn reading an old paperback of IT. Next episode some kids get busted at the watertower.

Love me some callbacks.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Hmm.

Interesting.

dude's whole instagram account has instilled me with cautious optimism

BiggerBoat posted:

Looks OK to me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

did you read the book.

I did; it matches the book's description (above the shoulders at least) drat well perfectly down to the Bozo-hair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he wasn't dressed like an old timey clown.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Looks stupid and missing the point of a happy colourful clown, anyone going to that face in a storm drain deserves what's coming to them.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

yeah that Bev looks like a slut who'd gently caress all her friends

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
gross dude

:ninja: edit i'm the one who's reporting you if someone else hasn't already

got loving cobwebs on that button but gently caress you

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bev's holding a cell-phone with a mic on the earbuds? What year is this supposed to be, again?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bev's holding a cell-phone with a mic on the earbuds? What year is this supposed to be, again?

I thought that was a Walkman.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Which one is Mike?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's just a shot of the kids hanging out, not in character.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're setting it in 1989 and present day.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's just a shot of the kids hanging out, not in character.
Okay, that explains it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta make IT into a generic slasher flick. Gonna be terrible.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah that Bev looks like a slut who'd gently caress all her friends

and Eric Cartman as Ben

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

They're setting it in 1989 and present day.

whyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The 50s are out, the 80s are in. Maybe they can drag in the 90z kidz by having It dump some Nickelodeon slime on them.