Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

blowfish posted:

We should ban this unfrench fad.

Ask L'Acadamie Francaise first. They're experts on what is French and what isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rappaport posted:

Isn't that the fad in China because the ladies don't want to get tanned?

Yep. And incidentally across the west similar bathing suits to the ones the French try to have banned have been popular at various times for that reason, as well as for general concerns of "modesty".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

blowfish posted:

Actually laicite is cool and good. Religious organisations belong in the dumpster of history, everyone can believe what they want without being influenced by groups that specifically exist to promote a non-factual belief, usually coupled with or as a consequence of the people in charge wanting more influence or power.

I too think people's freedom of assembly should be eliminated becuase I am a teenage redditor who hates religion

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

I too think people's freedom of assembly should be eliminated becuase I am a teenage redditor who hates religion

I too like strawmen.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

icantfindaname, in a way I really do appreciate your efforts to provide ideological diversity and stop this from turning into an echo chamber or anything. But I would appreciate it if posters like you, drilldo squirt etc., were a bit more honest about your own beliefs and motivations in posting in these kinds of threads.

To be specific I find it disingenuous for you to be constantly accusing people of being far-right fascists for holding opinions there are well within the mainstream of the secularist cultural left.

I would appreciate it said posters were a little bit more forthright about self-identifying as anti-secularists who believe that the process of pushing religion out of the Public Square (over the past 50 years in most western nations) is actually a bad thing. Be more honest about the fact that you are social conservatives or, at the very least, Libertarians with a lingering affection for religious communities.

Back to the topic at hand, I think that the best solution to the issue of both the burka and the burkini is the dissemination of public awareness advertisements to religious communities to help individual women see how wearing the symbols of slavery in public spaces is an act of hostility towards culturally liberated women. Muslim women should find a compromise of wearing clothing that they feel protects their modesty without sending the implicit message of support for oppression that women's garb that is specifically muslim does.

For the last time, I'm not saying that any choice of clothing should be outright banned by the government, but the message needs to be spread to Muslim women in Western countries how offensive it is to wear, in public, garments that millions of women around the world are enslaved into wearing and which mini Muslim religious leaders are not afraid of saying should be mandatory for women everywhere, including Europe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Liberal_L33t posted:

Back to the topic at hand, I think that the best solution to the issue of both the burka and the burkini is the dissemination of public awareness advertisements to religious communities to help individual women see how wearing the symbols of slavery in public spaces is an act of hostility towards culturally liberated women. Muslim women should find a compromise of wearing clothing that they feel protects their modesty without sending the implicit message of support for oppression that women's garb that is specifically muslim does.
Dissemination by whom? The government or private individuals?

I doubt anyone would have a problem with the latter. But you'll find a great deal more push back from the suggestion that the government should be doing that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Liberal_L33t posted:

icantfindaname, in a way I really do appreciate your efforts to provide ideological diversity and stop this from turning into an echo chamber or anything. But I would appreciate it if posters like you, drilldo squirt etc., were a bit more honest about your own beliefs and motivations in posting in these kinds of threads.

To be specific I find it disingenuous for you to be constantly accusing people of being far-right fascists for holding opinions there are well within the mainstream of the secularist cultural left.

I would appreciate it said posters were a little bit more forthright about self-identifying as anti-secularists who believe that the process of pushing religion out of the Public Square (over the past 50 years in most western nations) is actually a bad thing. Be more honest about the fact that you are social conservatives or, at the very least, Libertarians with a lingering affection for religious communities.

For the last time, I'm not saying that any choice of clothing should be outright banned by the government, but the message needs to be spread to Muslim women in Western countries how offensive it is to wear, in public, garments that millions of women around the world are enslaved into wearing and which mini Muslim religious leaders are not afraid of saying should be mandatory for women everywhere, including Europe.

I think the people passing and defending punitive laws targeting minority groups are a bigger problem than people saying it's not ok for governments to do that, personally.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Because that is why they did this, it's the same reason they banned minarets, it is to demonstrate to a minority group that they aren't welcome.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Prepare to be assimilated.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

drilldo squirt posted:

Because that is why they did this, it's the same reason they banned minarets, it is to demonstrate to a minority group that they aren't welcome.

Those two issues are extremely different both in terms of their justifiability in my opinion, and in terms of international reaction and the degree of criticism each ban recieved. There is actually a compelling State interest involved in the burqa issue, just not a good enough reason to override the principle of freedom of expression.

Minarets, by virtue of not necessarily involving archaic sexual politics and not serving as a direct means of oppression in a large swathe of the world, are vastly less problematic and easier to defend.

Conversely, and regardless of the justifiability of a ban, there is no good reason to wear a burqa that isn't outweighed by the harm done. I can't stress enough that wearing an identifiable slave robe - and that is the primary purpose of that garment in the present place and time, to signal submission to a religiously justified form of slavery - is an act of violence, however small, just like wearing a widely recognized symbol of white supremacy.

If I had a buddhist friend who really liked wearing swastika jewelry in public I would tell him to knock it off even if he has a legitimate heritagee related reason for making such a choice. After a certain amount of history in context a symbol becomes so toxic that there is never a good reason for wearing it.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Banning the burqa will just make it that these women won't even leave their homes. Most young muslim women living in western societies that do wear burqa's do so from their own free will as a type of teenage revolt against their parents ironically.

Banning it, is as dumb as banning the public display of the suastic cross, it just turns it into an even more desirable fetish for the lunatics that do want to tattoo it or whatever.

Much more important would be to stress that women that do want to stop wearing the burqa will have the state's support against familiar or otherwise agressive reactions and blowback.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fados posted:

Banning the burqa will just make it that these women won't even leave their homes. Most young muslim women living in western societies that do wear burqa's do so from their own free will as a type of teenage revolt against their parents ironically.

If it's so, it makes the ban even more benign. Lots of anti-social behaviours are prohibited, to protect the risk demographics from their own stupidity.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Liberal_L33t posted:

Those two issues are extremely different both in terms of their justifiability in my opinion, and in terms of international reaction and the degree of criticism each ban recieved. There is actually a compelling State interest involved in the burqa issue, just not a good enough reason to override the principle of freedom of expression.

If there was a compelling state interest in banning that type of speech in burkas than such a ban would survive in the USA under strict scrutiny.

Seeing as how there was no compelling state interest in the case where a bunch of neo nazis held a parade through a predominately Jewish neighborhood. I cannot imagine how you could be right.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Despite their cool look minarets can be a totally different thing though, if they are coupled to loud call to prayer several times a day then gently caress that noise.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Despite their cool look minarets can be a totally different thing though, if they are coupled to loud call to prayer several times a day then gently caress that noise.

Just enforce existing noise regulations. Or let nuisance lawsuits force them to stop or go bankrupt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We're in a modern society. Just replace the loudspeakers by a smartphone app, let the local practicing Muslims subscribe to receiving the call to prayer on their phone.

Seriously, it'd work.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

Most young muslim women living in western societies that do wear burqa's do so from their own free will as a type of teenage revolt against their parents ironically.

Ah yes, all those ironic burqa wearers. First it was trucker hats and now burqas. You can't walk down the street in Williamsburg or Portland without tripping over some hipster ironically wearing fabric obscuring every square centimeter of their skin. I hear that Hot Topic basically just sells burqas now.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Liberal_L33t posted:

Minarets, by virtue of not necessarily involving archaic sexual politics and not serving as a direct means of oppression in a large swathe of the world, are vastly less problematic and easier to defend.

Conversely, and regardless of the justifiability of a ban, there is no good reason to wear a burqa that isn't outweighed by the harm done. I can't stress enough that wearing an identifiable slave robe - and that is the primary purpose of that garment in the present place and time, to signal submission to a religiously justified form of slavery - is an act of violence, however small, just like wearing a widely recognized symbol of white supremacy.

If I had a buddhist friend who really liked wearing swastika jewelry in public I would tell him to knock it off even if he has a legitimate heritagee related reason for making such a choice. After a certain amount of history in context a symbol becomes so toxic that there is never a good reason for wearing it.

Look at all these words that you said to not address the point I made.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

If it's so, it makes the ban even more benign. Lots of anti-social behaviours are prohibited, to protect the risk demographics from their own stupidity.

Should Ramstein shows be banned because they use nazi symbols?

Fados fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 15, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Unless you're Finnish apparently.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

Ah yes, all those ironic burqa wearers. First it was trucker hats and now burqas. You can't walk down the street in Williamsburg or Portland without tripping over some hipster ironically wearing fabric obscuring every square centimeter of their skin. I hear that Hot Topic basically just sells burqas now.

I didn't say they did it ironically. There is such a thing as genuine anger. Not everyone is a cynical 'post-ideological' american.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Look banning a specific type of clothes (past simplest modesty) is a loving stupid idea.

And girls can and do look hot in burkini or whatever too. Even from the leery lecherous gently caress point of view it's fine as a variety thing?

People just want to be lovely racists that's all.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

Unless you're Finnish apparently.

:wow:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

We're in a modern society. Just replace the loudspeakers by a smartphone app, let the local practicing Muslims subscribe to receiving the call to prayer on their phone.

Seriously, it'd work.

I think in Singapore they made you require a radio to be able to listen to the call.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Fados posted:

Should Ramstein shows be banned because they use nazi symbols?

They do? Do you have any pictures to support that?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

They do? Do you have any pictures to support that?

https://vimeo.com/175326866

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah Rammstein don't dress up as Nazis but they do make a lot of symbolic references to Nazi aesthetics, mostly to mock it.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

I've not read much about it, basically I only know that it was a part of the Commonwealth, but how bad was it for the Ukrainians and other people living there? Were they oppressed by the szlachta more than the Poles in Poland (who were quite oppressed by them)?
This is from a couple of pages back, but it didn't get an answer, so - yes, Lithuania in general and Ukraine in particular were characterized by colonial-like export-heavy economy and pressure to convert to Polish culture and Catholicism. Failure to do so would result in decreased authority of the nobles, and increased mistreatment of the peasants, which in turn resulted in some of them uniting under the new Cossack identity and subsequent revolts. If you're interested in the topic, check out the works of Daniel Beauvois.

icantfindaname posted:

People have a big ole hardon for French style secularism, despite the fact that France in the 1800s was not a particularly successful state, had a very weak democracy and a weak economy, and arguably still does to this day for the same reasons as then

icantfindaname posted:

But yes, France would probably have been better off with less rigid and intolerant ideologies and more decentralization
How would lifting the ban on religious symbols in schools help stimulate the economy and reduce unemployment? Give me a cause-and-effect here.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

I didn't see a single nazi symbol in this video.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't see a single nazi symbol in this video.

Well, he was goose stepping at the intro. But Rammstein is pretty out about not being Nazis and support a lot of Leftists stuff, they just tend to get lumped in due to the sort of Industrial metal they play and being German.

"In the film The Pervert's Guide to Ideology, the psychanalytical Communist philosopher Slavoj Žižek presented Rammstein as an example of how to remove the Nazi ideology from the cultural forms used by Nazism."

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 15, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rammstein have said in interviews etc. that they've been influenced by the work of Laibach, who... Kinda ran with the Nazi aesthetic thing in the 80's.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pizdec posted:

This is from a couple of pages back, but it didn't get an answer, so - yes, Lithuania in general and Ukraine in particular were characterized by colonial-like export-heavy economy and pressure to convert to Polish culture and Catholicism. Failure to do so would result in decreased authority of the nobles, and increased mistreatment of the peasants, which in turn resulted in some of them uniting under the new Cossack identity and subsequent revolts. If you're interested in the topic, check out the works of Daniel Beauvois.

Thanks!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It's amazing to me how cowardly racists are in this thread that they can't even own up to their own beliefs and instead post things like.

Zudgemud posted:

Which ignoring the stupidity of the reasoning, is made worse since we all know that's not why the law was made.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

blowfish posted:

Actually laicite is cool and good. Religious organisations belong in the dumpster of history, everyone can believe what they want without being influenced by groups that specifically exist to promote a non-factual belief, usually coupled with or as a consequence of the people in charge wanting more influence or power.

Actually it's militant atheism that belongs in the dumpster of history. Most people in the world are theists and most don't use their beliefs to oppress other people. Enforced secularism makes it near-impossible for Middle Eastern immigrants and their children to fully assimilate into Western culture, and is a big part of why France and Belgium are such fertile recruiting grounds for DAESH.

Also these laws aren't about keeping women from being oppressed anyway, and you're not fooling anyone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

Actually it's militant atheism that belongs in the dumpster of history. Most people in the world are theists and most don't use their beliefs to oppress other people. Enforced secularism makes it near-impossible for Middle Eastern immigrants and their children to fully assimilate into Western culture, and is a big part of why France and Belgium are such fertile recruiting grounds for DAESH.
Are you saying Middle Easterner are incompatible with French and Belgian culture?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you saying Middle Easterner are incompatible with French and Belgian culture?

No, I'm saying that when secularism (or religion or morality or whatever) is enforced in a way that is pretty clearly targeted towards any minority group, it makes it considerably less likely that that minority group will assimilate.

e: I mean, FFS, how is this an unclear concept to so many Europeans? How is the U.S., of all places, more clued-in on this?:psyduck:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 15, 2016

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

No, I'm saying that when secularism (or religion or morality or whatever) is enforced in a way that is pretty clearly targeted towards any minority group, it makes it considerably less likely that that minority group will assimilate.

e: I mean, FFS, how is this an unclear concept to so many Europeans? How is the U.S., of all places, more clued-in on this?:psyduck:
Secularism can create a neutral space for people to co-exist in, regardless of their beliefs, and in that sense it's very beneficial to multiculturalism. Burqa-bans and the like aren't part of that, though, and are generally just forms of racism that use the language of secularism to gain traction with liberals.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rammstein are cool and good and not nazis, thanks and god bless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

Rammstein are cool and good and not nazis, thanks and god bless.

It's cool, they're just taking back goose stepping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

Secularism can create a neutral space for people to co-exist in, regardless of their beliefs, and in that sense it's very beneficial to multiculturalism. Burqa-bans and the like aren't part of that, though, and are generally just forms of racism that use the language of secularism to gain traction with liberals.

Yeah, the emphasis was meant to be on the "enforced" part of "enforced secularism."