Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yay! But I didn't mean to insinuate that you cover every character combination, that would take awhile. Spanky and Bobby do have pretty boring dialog together, but they play off of the other characters a lot better. But I hope you had an opportunity to look at who else is playable, such as

An angry square headed cyborg named Blaster Keaton, a ninja, a super model and her kid sister, and TWO pop idols that dress like they want to be in Gundam Wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The French heir to the throne is the dauphin. Using the name 'dolphin' would probably be a reference to Mark Twain, who has a character referred to as 'the Dolphin' in Huckleberry Finn [people claiming to be the true heir to the deposed French monarchy were a dime a dozen. It was the 19th Century version of claiming to be Anastasia.] I either just ruined your joke or explained something you didn't care about.

That looked a pretty decent game, with funny banter between the characters. Good ep.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Boy am I glad that you're the dolphin, and I'm the baby, and you're a baby, and I'm in there. What I want to know is, who's the sheriff?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

What I want to know is, who's the sheriff?

*an ungodly distorted mash up of the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme and "You've Got a Friend in Me" starts playing*

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not if Suzanne Somers has anything to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCsIVZyhwo

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I just ran into Quiz and Dragon at the local arcade and

uh

it sure is something. Maybe not something you'd enjoy playing but something that the world needs to learn about lest it make that mistake again.

As long as I'm subjecting you to that hot mess, and on the subject of dragons, have you done Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara yet? Because if not do it because it owns.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bliss Authority posted:

I just ran into Quiz and Dragon at the local arcade and

uh

it sure is something. Maybe not something you'd enjoy playing but something that the world needs to learn about lest it make that mistake again.

Oh, Quiz and Dragons is amazing if you're in a room of slightly drunk Scottish people in their 20s who have no idea about American culture in the 90s and instead just pick the ninja and abuse the infinite credits to brute force their way through the game.

That was also the same day I discovered The Outfoxies. Mystery tournaments are amazing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Quiz & Dragons is unironically one of my favorite arcade games (not that I've ever seen an actual machine), and I'd play the hell out of an updated version of it.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I've been watching for a while now but haven't commented before, just wanted to let you guys know that I enjoy your videos and I love the character select screen at the start of videos.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Wow, there was a blast of activity on here. I've been super busy all day, so here's the link to the most recent video.

https://youtu.be/N0brqAAgTQE

I've actually played quizzes and dragons, and I in general love trivia, but I'm always apprehensive about older games like that because they're typically aimed at a 20-30 something year old in the late 80s early 90s, so we'd just suck a lot. But, we did actually do a trivia game this time around, and it was pretty funny, so maybe we could just give it a chance?

I'm glad that Keith loving up Dauphin has been everyone's favorite thing.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

CheeseThief posted:

I've been watching for a while now but haven't commented before, just wanted to let you guys know that I enjoy your videos and I love the character select screen at the start of videos.

Man thanks dude! It's nice to see people getting something out of our weird little arts and crafts project here. The new intro thing is really cool, yeah. The Benefit of Having a Graphic Designer Friend. Is there a thing for him we can link to ever?

P.S. goddamn it, dauphin is French for dolphin! It's still weird!

P.P.S. If you like trivia, hooh boy. Soon. Soon...

(We will def do this dragon quiz thing too, sounds neat.)

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's Part 2 of Aero Fighters 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGsD9AZ-Q0

I kinda wish sometimes that we were less improvising so we could have had an endings videos where we just watch them all for everyone's entertainment. I don't know.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

*an ungodly distorted mash up of the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme and "You've Got a Friend in Me" starts playing*

I love that Yonic is getting some mileage.

Ever since that episode, I've had some Baader-Meinhof poo poo going on where I'm constantly getting into situations where the word is appropriate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AMovieReference posted:

Here's Part 2 of Aero Fighters 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGsD9AZ-Q0

I kinda wish sometimes that we were less improvising so we could have had an endings videos where we just watch them all for everyone's entertainment. I don't know.

Eh, nothing keeping you from going back and watching them at a later date, or all of us going and watching them on our own. But the fun part is your reactions to stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the game somewhat!

You did nail my reaction to the character selection pretty accurately. God drat it Bobby and Spanky, why must you be the best characters and have the most boring dialogue.

Oh well. When in doubt,

Oh yeah, the single player dialogue is all unique too.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
So now that we have finished the witticisms of a Dolphin and a Baby, here's a bizarre safari game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXuxM0eAVI

There's a lot of Naomi and Atomiswave games that are really fuckin' bizarre out there. I really wish that we spoke Japanese, cause I'd love to play some of the stranger games.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I would have loved this safari game as a kid. Hell, I'd love it now. It's like those lovely big game hunter light gun games, but way more interesting. And about the same graphical quality.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Dead Nick Mondays is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbjnYDyqmw

So Paperboy was also an arcade game, and surprisingly looked a lot better than any of it's console ports. Especially the ill-fated Nintendo 64 version.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's Spinmaster, a Data East game requested by Keurig. I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsIeESuoF0

I guess the theme we got going for this week is, "totally 90s poo poo", beause this and B. Rap Boys (coming on Thursday) are 90s as gently caress.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm not a coffee machine but yeah it was me!

And yes this game is 90's as gently caress. It's Double Dragon's plot with weaponized yoyo's and the final boss is Dr Robotnick.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Was watching your latest video and ya'll mentioned a Hook video game and guess what.....

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8134

I won't post a video so as not to steal the spotlight :)

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Speaking of which, I've been busy as a gently caress all day, but here's the most recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKpGzDPyehU

I believe this is a request, and I can't remember who it was. We say it in the video though. I think.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I just saw Retsuprae cover it but holy crap you guys need to do Growl.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

They already did Growl.

What the heck is a B.Rap, anyway?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

They already did Growl.

I think a B. Rap is the onomatopoeia of either a machine gun or a fart.

Growl was also like the second game we ever played on the show, before Keith joined the cast. That was also when we got WAY too drunk. So we've played it, but I occasionally wish we did a better job. That and Ninja Baseball Batman.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

I think a B. Rap is the onomatopoeia of either a machine gun or a fart.

So it's kinda like in River City Ransom, when you punch a dude out and he shouts "Barf" I suppose?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's an unusual Konami puzzle type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05o2ic99bc

It's called "Let's Attack Crazy Cross" and seems to allude to a bunch of story that doesn't make any loving sense.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
cats sleep when you don't, and vice versa pretty much. and i enjoy the puyo puyo games, they're good

CraigK fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 30, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like how the first mention was of Nick's 'animals', as if he was some Dr. Moreau-like figure whose creations had turned on him and killed him.

Also, the freak-outs of the characters when they start to lose are pretty intense in this game. I almost feel bad for that poor nurse.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Kangra posted:

I like how the first mention was of Nick's 'animals', as if he was some Dr. Moreau-like figure whose creations had turned on him and killed him.

Also, the freak-outs of the characters when they start to lose are pretty intense in this game. I almost feel bad for that poor nurse.

Yeah, as we pointed out with the penguin vomiting it's entire life, after eating far too much food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJA6bIcxPHo

Here's Spinmaster pt. 2/2. This was a good game.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

AMovieReference posted:

Here's an unusual Konami puzzle type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05o2ic99bc

It's called "Let's Attack Crazy Cross" and seems to allude to a bunch of story that doesn't make any loving sense.

It's a sequel. The first game was just called Crazy Cross, and the series as a whole is known as Taisen Puzzle-Dama (literally "Battle Puzzle Balls") in Japan. "John Wang Jiro" is a mistranslation of John Wanjiro, a character from the first game who is a dog-ified version of Japanese historical figure "John" Manjiro Nakahama.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I laughed far more than I should have at the "Richard Scarry's funeral" line in the Paperboy episode.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Simon The Digger posted:

It's a sequel. The first game was just called Crazy Cross, and the series as a whole is known as Taisen Puzzle-Dama (literally "Battle Puzzle Balls") in Japan. "John Wang Jiro" is a mistranslation of John Wanjiro, a character from the first game who is a dog-ified version of Japanese historical figure "John" Manjiro Nakahama.

Man, I don't know how you guys know about this stuff, but I feel like we're posers coming in and playing all these arcade games and spouting our ignorance about everything.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

AMovieReference posted:

Man, I don't know how you guys know about this stuff, but I feel like we're posers coming in and playing all these arcade games and spouting our ignorance about everything.

To be fair I think that most of us are posers outside of a few specific games

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

AMovieReference posted:

Well, to be fair, Taisen Puzzle-Dama is super loving obscure on the English-speaking interwebs (and the Crazy Cross games, despite being the English localizations of the first two, aren't much better). The only reason I was able to figure out the John Wang Jiro thing is because I used to play that mobile game Monster Strike. (A bunch of the characters in it are based off of historical figures, one of which being John Manjiro, so when I saw "John Wang Jiro" I thought it sounded familiar. I then did some quick Googling which lead me to make my previous post.)

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

To be fair I think that most of us are posers outside of a few specific games

I know I definitely am. I may know a ton about a bunch of different franchises, and a few things about a lot of random obscure games, but ask me about the Call of Duty games or something like that and I'll laugh at you and then throw sand in your eyes.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I laughed far more than I should have at the "Richard Scarry's funeral" line in the Paperboy episode.

Hahahaha. Rad. Ten points for slytherin.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

They already did Growl.

See Bojack Horseman season three. (Hint: it has to do with abortion!)

Kangra posted:

Hahahaha. This hadn't crossed my mind but it is by far my favorite theory. It is canon now as far as I'm concerned.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
B. Rap Boys Trucks along with part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZiWtWupdw

This game is one of those slow burn types of series. As it goes on, it just gets better/worse.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's a game that kind of inspired what you will see next week, called Frisky Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX78xWrzfOs

This is made by the same company that brought us Crazy Climber, so it's pretty much impossible.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

For a game called Frisky Tom, I was expecting a lot more innuendo out of you two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

For a game called Frisky Tom, I was expecting a lot more innuendo out of you two.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess we took the low road?

Speaking of roads, we finally hit the end of the road for B. Rap Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGbCNRrLE1k

Next video that we're doing is kinda something a little new that we did this session around. Some games we enjoyed so much that afterwards we were just riffing continuously, that we went back and just recorded a podcast style thing. So next episode is basically a pitch for "B. Rap Boys 2".

• Locked thread