Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

computer parts posted:

The Heihe–Tengchong Line, an imaginary line that divides China into two (more or less) equal area parts. The Western side has ~57% of the area, but 6% of the population. The Eastern side has 43% of the area but 94% of the population. The population ratio has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s.

And it divides Sichuan in half it looks like, Chengdu on the west side. I bet Sichuan is a lot of that 6%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's interesting to compare maps like those with maps of average rainfall

It doesn't work so well for the USA, but it's almost spot on for China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Now that I'm looking at it more that part of Sichuan is almost all mountains. There's a few large cities scattered around that yellow region but it's mostly desert and mountain.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to the magic of computer technology, we can tell that most population in the west is in Gansu and Inner Mongolia.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shifting point of the center of population in the US over time

Really illustrates what a pretty great choice for capital location Washington was. The true center was closer to Baltimore, but that wouldn't have flown with the south.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Golbez posted:

Really illustrates what a pretty great choice for capital location Washington was. The true center was closer to Baltimore, but that wouldn't have flown with the south.

I dunno, placing the capital right at the front lines of the eventual civil war was probably a misstep, gently caress the South.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Kassad posted:

It doesn't work so well for the USA, but it's almost spot on for China.

Actually, it really, really does work for the USA.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/USA-population-density-per-square-mile.jpg

The line between the plains/low density center, and the higher density east, runs in a line from Brownsville to Dallas to Wichita to Omaha to Minneapolis. Hey, check out this map! It even includes the curve at the north from Omaha to Minneapolis!

The only real anomaly is the southwest, Southern California and Arizona on the dry side, and northern Idaho and northern Maine on the wet side. But otherwise, that rainfall map matches the broad strokes of the population distribution pretty closely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shifting point of the center of population in the US over time

I find it most interesting how the drift really slows down for about 1910-1940, which one presumes is entirely due to the World Wars and the Depression.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The twentieth century is also when it really starts bending south. Not knowing much about population trends, is there any particular cause to that? Did Mexican immigration start ramping up then?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lord Hydronium posted:

The twentieth century is also when it really starts bending south. Not knowing much about population trends, is there any particular cause to that? Did Mexican immigration start ramping up then?

Air conditioning making Florida etc liveable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

I find it most interesting how the drift really slows down for about 1910-1940, which one presumes is entirely due to the World Wars and the Depression.

Yet California more than quadrupled its population between 1910 and 1950, surpassing handily national growth. I guess people at the time didn't move into non-coastal states, so the growth dynamics of the two seaboard balanced each other out?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Air conditioning and the post-war revival of the south. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Charlotte, Phoenix - these cities were very small or non-existent before 1900, some not reaching an appreciable size until decades later. (Phoenix didn't cross 100,000 until 1950; now it's the 6th largest city in the country)

Put another way: In the 1860 census, the only city in the south that ranked in the top 10 was New Orleans, with 168,000 people. No other city in the south would match that population until 1920. Meanwhile, in 1860, New York had 3.9 million, Baltimore 212k, and Philadelphia 565k.

It wasn't Mexican immigration at all that caused the initial shift, it was all the people from mainly the northeast migrating south and west. New York was the largest state in 1960, and second largest in 1990; now its 4th, behind California, Texas, and Florida.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

i dont read that as a pause because of the depression so much as the depression marking an intermission between periods of growth, the mid 1800's being a time of midwestern settlement, the turn of the century focusing more on east coast urbanization, and then the immediate post-ww2 boom in california's population

Lord Hydronium posted:

southern california

population growth of the greater los angeles region

1900 250,187 —
1910 648,316 159.1%
1920 1,150,252 77.4%
1930 2,597,066 125.8%
1940 3,252,720 25.2%
1950 4,934,246 51.7%
1960 7,751,616 57.1%
1970 9,972,037 28.6%
1980 11,497,486 15.3%
1990 14,531,529 26.4%
2000 16,373,645 12.7%
2010 17,877,006 9.2%

by 1960 the LA metro had passed the Chicago metro in total pop

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that AC (among the other factors) had a major effect on growth like that, though it makes sense.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
would the

steinrokkan posted:

Yet California more than quadrupled its population between 1910 and 1950, surpassing handily national growth. I guess people at the time didn't move into non-coastal states, so the growth dynamics of the two seaboard balanced each other out?

Would the pull of Chicago to the north affect the pace of the movement?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

I thought you had a lot of people moving West during the Great Depression. Don't tell me I read the Grapes of Wrath for nothing

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Hooray for air conditioning for making blatantly unlivable places livable. This cannot backfire

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ras Het posted:

Hooray for air conditioning for making blatantly unlivable places livable. This cannot backfire

Meh. What's the difference between that and people in frozen-rear end parts of the Earth depending on winter heating?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

my dad posted:

Meh. What's the difference between that and people in frozen-rear end parts of the Earth depending on winter heating?

The concept of indoor heating has been around longer and is established as essential to human life in most areas so smug liberals can't whip themselves up into moral outrage over its wastefulness

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Ras Het posted:

The American Joe Miller’s Jest Book posted:

“The boundaries of our country, sir? Why sir, on the north we are bounded by the Aurora Borealis, on the east we are bounded by the rising sun, on the south we are bounded by the procession of the Equinoxes, and on the west by the Day of Judgement.”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Isn't there a school of history that views the settling of Southern California as one big scam to transfer money from midwesterners to land developers?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

I thought you had a lot of people moving West during the Great Depression. Don't tell me I read the Grapes of Wrath for nothing

While a ton of people moved west because of that, they weren't a very large number overall. There were also a ton of people in that situation who moved east instead, or moved from outlying rural areas in general into already existing cities, which were mostly in the East.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

my dad posted:

People shouldn't live in Finland either. All of the humans in the world should live in a narrow zone expending from Portugal to Japan and the rest of the planet should be abandoned to wildlife & super efficient bean production

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The concept of indoor heating has been around longer and is established as essential to human life in most areas so smug liberals can't whip themselves up into moral outrage over its wastefulness

lmao liberals

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Note: Denmark died on the way back to its home planet

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If the state of technology ever regresses to the point where air conditioning isn't a given anymore, every urban area is going to be in trouble no matter where it's located. But the ones in literal desert most of all, true.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

my dad posted:

Huge differences in energy efficiency between the two processes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

Isn't there a school of history that views the settling of Southern California as one big scam to transfer money from midwesterners to land developers?
Most of recorded history is one big scam to transfer money from farmers and laborers to land owners and developers.

alnilam posted:

Huge differences in energy efficiency between the two processes?
At least in dry heat areas you can use evaporative cooling. Although then you have the drought issues.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Czechoslovakia reunited and it feels so good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

those people were already living west of the population center

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

My guess that it has more to due with the closing of the frontier

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

Czechoslovakia reunited and it feels so good.

Question for the Czechs and Slovaks here: do people ever bring up reunification or is it more like "nah, we're good this way"?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the jizz taxi posted:

Question for the Czechs and Slovaks here: do people ever bring up reunification or is it more like "nah, we're good this way"?

What do you mean? Is it a point of historical antagonism? No. Does it really affect people now that both countries are part of Schengen? No. In many ways Czechoslovakia still exists. Slovaks are by far the greatest "minority" the Czech republic, and Czechs choose Slovakia as their number one holiday destination.
OTOH i think lots of Czechs still patronizingly think about Slovakia as our little brother, and Slovaks are kinda annoyed about that.

E: oh, you talked about reunification, I read it as "bring up separation"... no, reunification isn't brought up by anybody serious, and it wouldn't make sense in the EU.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 15, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think the question is more, do people regret it or are they content with the outcome?

Always seemed to me that it was a pragmatic decision and that it could have gone either way, and I wouldn't be surprised if people were still fairly indifferent to it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I think the question is more, do people regret it or are they content with the outcome?

Always seemed to me that it was a pragmatic decision and that it could have gone either way, and I wouldn't be surprised if people were still fairly indifferent to it.

it was largely a technocratic decision.

in 1968 the post-prague spring communists drafted a constitution that gave a truly extreme measure of influence to federal assemblies of the slovak and czech national assemblies, which were able to overturn any decision made by the federal assembly. however, because there was a single party state, this federal power existed only on paper, and things worked out just fine. in 1989, things changed, and because the country switched to pluralism, the constitution suddenly started to matter. because of the fact that both nations effectively held a veto power over any legislation, the country was nearly impossible to govern - it culminated with a presidential crisis when president Havel nearly failed to get a re-election due to constitutional constraints.

And because neither nation was willing to sacrifice its constitutional powers in order to achieve national unity, the eventual solution to the crisis was to divide the republic and create two countries governed by traditional European parliamentarism.

Once the deed was done, people were actually kinda sad, apparently, including politicians who pushed the dissolution through, like Slovakia's Mečiar. There was a lot of hugging and sobbing in the Parliament on that day.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 15, 2016

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Had no idea that northern Scandinavia was part of Siberian culture:

And another map about culture:

Both from this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_area

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kamrat posted:

When I hear the word "culture," I reach for my gradient tool.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Kamrat posted:

The Netherlands appears to have a large rash around Rotterdam, they should see a doctor about that.

Also this may be the most unexpected map to not see the Oder-Neisse Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Golbez posted:

The Netherlands appears to have a large rash around Rotterdam, they should see a doctor about that.

It's Islam