Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Another Bloodlines without the tedious five hour long fighting segments sounds great.

All the games they asked about in the survey were absolutely great so I'm definitely into whatever it is they're planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
What would be freaky is if they somehow got a hold of the Source2 engine to once again become the first third party company to use it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
After the Shadowrun games, I'd love to see Harebrained Schemes get a shot at a new Vampire game. I think they kinda nail the whole urban fantasy vibe.

Of course, I also hope they make more Shadowrun games (in a more robust engine).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In case you don't know, they're currently working on a tactical Battletech game very loosely similar to the tableteop. They posted a 20 minute video about it a little while back.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Ask a guy who just spent an hour in Audacity chopping up the Deb Of Night radio loops to throw into a playlist with Lacuna Coil, Darling Violetta, Evanescense, and such like bands, anything. Obviously, I have nothing but time on my hands.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

TheCenturion posted:

Ask a guy who just spent an hour in Audacity chopping up the Deb Of Night radio loops to throw into a playlist with Lacuna Coil, Darling Violetta, Evanescense, and such like bands, anything. Obviously, I have nothing but time on my hands.
I'm glad this cool thing is still up, it's so relaxing.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
They asked about Dishonored, my favorite game, and if there was a Dishonored with a VTM theme, it would be pretty much the best thing ever

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I answered the poo poo outta that survey.

Someone please bomb them with fake responses to inflate interest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Some tiny news site wrote up a short piece on the survey but they also posted some quotes from an interview with Feargus from Obsidian a few months ago that I don't remember making a huge splash, aside from the direct unofficial confirmation of PoE2's development:

quote:

Everything we’re working on right now is announced, except for one thing…Well, Eternity II is not announced, but it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks: “Are you working on it?”, I respond: “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say: “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like: “Well, yeah”. How do you even get around that? It’s tough. So we have Eternity, Tyranny, the Pathfinder Adventures card game, and then there’s Armored Warfare. And that sucks up all but a few people. We’re looking at what the next thing will be that we’re going to make. We have Tim Cain working for us and Leonard Boyarsky has come to work for us recently. So I let people put two and two together.
Emphasis mine

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
oh my god
obsidian's working on arcanum 2!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

man at what point did obsidian become big enough to work on five different games at a time

not complaining but yeesh

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Heavy neutrino posted:

man at what point did obsidian become big enough to work on five different games at a time

Sadly they probably still only have enough QA people to test half of one game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Pathfinder's a mobile game and thus a skeleton crew is all it needs. Beyond that, game development works in stages and the heavy lifters in one stage tend to be more idle in other stages, so it's likely that a lot of the early design folks from Tyranny don't have so much to do now that production is winding down. They'd be working on PoE2 and the other game.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Fuzz posted:

Sadly they probably still only have enough QA people to test half of one game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Man, I had just come down from my previous hype, but now I'm back up there and nothing has even been confirmed yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pillars of Eternity was actually pretty solid at launch aside from that one bug that could cancel your out of the stat boosts you get from equipment. I beat the game the first week and one of the few bugs I ran into was one part of Defiance Bay would CTD when I entered it, but I got past it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Paradox actually has a decent QA team now so maybe they can borrow them.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Well I answered the survey like the Bloodlines shill I am.

Can someone explain the extreme appeal to Alpha Protocol? The one time only-timed dialogue, yes that is an amazing mechanic, but what else was actually particularly stand out about it? Either way, I at least appreciated the fact it and Bloodlines takes place in modern day rather than the future or medieval times.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Red Metal posted:

oh my god
obsidian's working on arcanum 2!

honestly i'd probably want that more than a new vampire game.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Can someone explain the extreme appeal to Alpha Protocol? The one time only-timed dialogue, yes that is an amazing mechanic, but what else was actually particularly stand out about it? Either way, I at least appreciated the fact it and Bloodlines takes place in modern day rather than the future or medieval times.

In most games with "branching storylines", you make a decision or two in various parts of the game, and it changes maybe who shows up at the next major story beat and what they say. In AP, the story BRANCHES.

e: Okay maybe not quite that grandiose, but certainly moreso than any other game I've played.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Arcanum was good because it came out before steampunk was a thing and it was just Forgotten Realms: Industrial Revolution Edition. Nowadays I don't have faith that they could avoid sticking pointless gears on everything like a lovely cosplayer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CatchrNdRy posted:

AP is incredibly reactive, to a degree beyond that of any other game I've played. There is so much depth in this game that you cannot find it all with less than 2 playthroughs.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
In alpha protocol, you are rewarded for *everything*' want to stick fu a single dialogue style? Here's a pork for that.

want to switch things up? Here's a different perk. Like a weapon? Have a perk!

Also, npcs notice when you act different from established patterns. The best example is one npc you can only kill if you've been a smarmy rear end in a top hat the entire game. If you haven't been and follow the same dialogue path that leads to the fight to the death, he calls you out on trying to provoke him into doing something irrational and flees.

That's just the one example that stands out in my mind the most. If I still had my 360 I'd have never stopped playing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

CatchrNdRy posted:

Alpha Protocol has no Golden Path, and rewards ANYTHING you chose to do.

Compare it to, say, Deus Ex 3, where it's not really a choice between "lethal" and "non lethal."

Also, Steven Heck.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
On the last few missions in VMB. This game's AI has some Olympic level sniping ability and superhuman awareness. It is infuriating at times.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Alpha Protocol allows you to greet and innocent scientist by slamming his head on a bar in public.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another thing about AP is that if you don't take the time to investigate things you can miss out on entire subplots.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it actually lets you kill characters with full voice acted and written out plots and maybe next time you let them live and they pull your rear end out of the fire. It seriously is the most reactive RPG I can think of. It's incredible.

That said: Play on normal if not easy, do not pick the recruit class your first time, and play with a controller. The game's actual gameplay is VERY not-that-good.

It goes on loving sale in the Steam sale every time for like $3. Get it and love it like the rest of us!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

do not pick the recruit class your first time
Why wouldn't you? You want to use the Veteran for replays, and recruit isn't really that difficult.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There's also a mod or file-tweak you want as well to fix the mouse or something I believe?

Frankly I just go with the overpowered pistol route to make the parts with shooting as painless and easy as possible, because you sure don't play AP for the gameplay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Really I thought AP's combat was fun just because every tree breaks the game open to varying degrees, (Pistols and Tech Expertise being the best) but yeah don't play on hard.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 16, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pierson posted:

you sure don't play AP for the gameplay.

True enough, that's probably why I played for maybe four hours before I stopped playing for several months and then deleted it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Also yeah, it contains the single greatest character Nolan North has ever voiced.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And leave it there. His character is one of the game's best moments and should be seen unspoiled.

e: Oh right, one negative: I legitimately love Autograph's song Turn Up the Radio and that game nearly ruined it for me.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 16, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Oberleutnant posted:

Arcanum was good because it came out before steampunk was a thing and it was just Forgotten Realms: Industrial Revolution Edition. Nowadays I don't have faith that they could avoid sticking pointless gears on everything like a lovely cosplayer.

the game also ended up being way, way too long for its own good and story wise it did a pretty poor job of drawing your character into the fold because you'd start out with some strong hook, and then you wouldn't hear anything from the story for 10+ hours of gameplay. like i just spent an entire evening doing nothing but running around this city being generally awesome and shooting haters, why did i give a poo poo about some lame-o prophecy again?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

One thing about Alpha Protocol is that it might not be extremely obvious how reactive it is until you play through it again and do things differently. On your first playthrough, it might seem like a fairly scripted story and it might not be very obvious how the events you're going through could change depending on how you acted earlier. It's when you play through it again in a wildly different way that you realize just how much dialogue and events can change based on how you've been behaving before.

I don't remember many specifics because it's been so long since I played it, but the changes can be really varied and can impact gameplay, like how an informant will tip off the embassy that you're targeting if you've been a dickhead to him, which results in the guards at the embassy wearing full military gear instead of a lighter, more casual police setup.

Coolguye posted:

the game also ended up being way, way too long for its own good and story wise it did a pretty poor job of drawing your character into the fold because you'd start out with some strong hook, and then you wouldn't hear anything from the story for 10+ hours of gameplay. like i just spent an entire evening doing nothing but running around this city being generally awesome and shooting haters, why did i give a poo poo about some lame-o prophecy again?

Yeah; it had some dungeons that severely overstay their welcome and like most Troika games kind of noticeably ran low on budget later on, and I guess the game balance was utterly broken, but the setting and the writing carried it for me. There was something great about how the game world reacted to how you built your character: if you became too strong a mage, you'd start emitting an aura that distorts the laws of nature, making machines of all types go completely haywire and break. At that point, Victorian-era-style inventors would shoo you out of their shops and conductors wouldn't allow you to board trains anymore. Similarly, great technologists would (ironically) magically stabilize the laws of physics, potentially turning powerful enchanted items into mundane trinkets.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Heavy neutrino posted:

There was something great about how the game world reacted to how you built your character: if you became too strong a mage, you'd start emitting an aura that distorts the laws of nature, making machines of all types go completely haywire and break. At that point, Victorian-era-style inventors would shoo you out of their shops and conductors wouldn't allow you to board trains anymore. Similarly, great technologists would (ironically) magically stabilize the laws of physics, potentially turning powerful enchanted items into mundane trinkets.
that was always the part that i liked most about the game, because it made something resembling sense on how the loving world would even work. like with most forgotten realms stuff, you start wondering why the hell the struggles of specific people even matter, because everything they do is probably going to be kicked over by some rear end in a top hat wizard in the next 10 minutes, popping in with a teleport spell, wiggling his fingers for a moment, and then popping back out while everyone is still picking their jaws up off the floor, because hey he's a busy guy and thursday's hookers aren't going to plow themselves. you really just get into a question of who's got the most finger wiggling mojo, and that's basically dragonball z without punchmans at that point. who the gently caress cares

with arcanum you get a sense that the world is big and at least somehow balanced, even if it's a weird, jerky kind of balance. you honestly get the feeling that there's a lot of moving parts and things that can happen to ruin your day even if you feel like you're king badass. that is definitely unique and definitely worth praising.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

If anything it's a plot point that technology, with its ability to grant great benefits to people without the years of study required for magic, is slowly winning over the world, and that technology's ability to stabilize the laws of physics is making it harder and harder to use magic at all. A great wizard is much more powerful than a dude with a gun, but you can train hundreds of thousands of dudes with guns in the time it takes to train one great wizard, and concentrating so much technology and so many technology adepts in one place would make it nigh-impossible to cast magic.

It's an interesting limitation on the power of wizards, which you quickly find out is absolutely massive if you've ever tried to play one in Arcanum. You can teleport across the world, unlock anything, disintegrate (instakill) anything, buff any stat beyond the realm of mere mortals, create a personal barrier that buffs your resistances into insanity, and whatever else I forgot. It's a shame that the devs didn't put very many high tech adepts in the game, and so these limitations don't show up all that often in gameplay (in gameplay, characters with high tech aptitude have a chance proportional to tech aptitude to make a spell fizzle or do less damage), but it makes for an interesting world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I should give Arcanum another chance. I remember buying it when it launched way back in the day but kept getting killed by wolves in the opening on normal mode and just noped out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No amount of fan modding can ever make the UI design better than garbage

• Locked thread