Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Suntan Boy posted:

5-10% bleach water solution, scrub everything thoroughly, dry in open air.

Presented without comment:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Bitey whitey gettin' burrito'd :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Shirec posted:

How angry is this burrito? Cause I just want to snuggle the white fluff

Do not snuggle white burrito. u will ragert

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Shirec posted:

he is not happy

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
he is "I am ripping the next finger in sight" angry

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wait human, soon, soon there will be fingats.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When Mango met Lucy

*flies away and hides in own cage*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

When Mango met Lucy

(((aaaaaaaaaa)))

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i feel this accurately sums up my life

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Lucy is meanwhile thinking "?????? Screaming mango is why?????? :confused:"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

Do not snuggle white burrito. u will ragert

Take my fingats for the worthy cause

learnincurve posted:

When Mango met Lucy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Are any of them tame? I don't remember

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mirabeau the male ringneck is tame, he's currently in my tween's room out of the cage and hanging out with her. Mango and Raddy were broken when I got them but Mango is now using my arm as a perch and coming over for treats when he's out of the cage (most of the day), no scritchies yet though. Had my arm in with Lucy for half an hour earlier and she ate her lunch while sitting on it, I'm going to work with her in the cage and get her eating out of my hand before she is let out. /bird blog

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
We switched rooms around! We swapped our master bedroom and office so now the birds are in a much larger space with more room to fly around and more natural light.

Griddle is the easiest bird to feed millet to since we can just hand her a berry and let her do her thing:

I took a chance to get some shots of the nape of her neck and her head. She has a little patch of turquioise feathers on her neck, they are one of her best features imo

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 15, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie had a molt start a little over a month ago and is currently freaking me out because while most of the pin feathers on his head are done growing whenever he preens at least one feather still comes out which he happily chews on before flinging. The feathers themselves aren't damaged and he's still growing his new flights in but since he doesn't molt that often I keep thinking he's plucking.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 15, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

learnincurve posted:

Mirabeau the male ringneck is tame, he's currently in my tween's room out of the cage and hanging out with her. Mango and Raddy were broken when I got them but Mango is now using my arm as a perch and coming over for treats when he's out of the cage (most of the day), no scritchies yet though. Had my arm in with Lucy for half an hour earlier and she ate her lunch while sitting on it, I'm going to work with her in the cage and get her eating out of my hand before she is let out. /bird blog

correction: Of all the birds, Raddy just let me give her scritches, caught her in the net and she was doing her laying there doing her "this is how I die I am ready" bit so I put my hand in and started petting her, and she then stepped up onto my hand and sat there with head bowed going "you may continue human" :allears:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I cannot look at that picture of yelling Mango without just bursting into giggles

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Shirec posted:

Rage level: Thoughtful Towel Chewing
The odds are not in your favor.

learnincurve posted:

When Mango met Lucy

This is the best thing

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

Rage level: Thoughtful Towel Chewing
The odds are not in your favor.
Would still cuddle, I don't need all my fingats anyhow.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Protip: superglue is good for temporarily sealing severe lacerations

https://twitter.com/Jun_toribaka/status/763222018867073024

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Nail glue is also useable, just might burn a bit more! So long as it says cyanoacrilitate or something similar on the back.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

On a threat scale level of 1-10, where 1 is calm and chill af, what is this? Cause my bird training says bad, but my natural instinct says "Omg, look at the fluffy thing, it's all pink and gold like a cloud at sunset and I bet it's so soft and warm"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

On a threat scale level of 1-10, where 1 is calm and chill af, what is this? Cause my bird training says bad, but my natural instinct says "Omg, look at the fluffy thing, it's all pink and gold like a cloud at sunset and I bet it's so soft and warm"

Looks like an 8-9 to me.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's not that bad, it's just being a goofy bird. If it was really angry it'd have it's beak open and be lunging. Teeka often poofs up like that when he's being playful and him and I will hiss at each other. Don't know if safe to pet, would need to put fingats near and see if it lunged but I think it's probably just a little encouragement from going into a noisy, happy meltdown

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Shirec posted:

I'd put that as a pretty happy and attentive bird! A defensive bird would be hunkered down, shoulders up and neck stretched out. A pissy bird would look ready to lunge at any second. That cockatoo just looks like it's entertaining itself with a bit of a dance as its human prepares a treat or a scritch. It does look like just a bit more could push it into being overstimulated, but I'd assume the bird was just excited from something good happening in its environment. v :) v

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They do this morning and night for about an hour :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhpzCM6bQI

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Just worked out a birb budget. It is 100% officially allowed now. Didn't even have to cage my husband guys! Keeping my fingers crossed he's still available in a few weeks when it's my birthday. AAAAAAAAAAH. Wish me luck bird crazies! I think 3 is the magic number for our flock... the budgies are bonded and want nothing to do with me most of the time, and I'm looking forward to having someone to lavish attention on. I work from home so I have plenty of time. ohmygodiamsoexcited

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If you really want him, let them know you're 100% guaranteed going to buy him. You can probably work something out and it seems like you two already have a great connection

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Eejit posted:

If you really want him, let them know you're 100% guaranteed going to buy him. You can probably work something out and it seems like you two already have a great connection

Thanks for the advice. I am going to give them a call and see under what terms I can leave a deposit on him; I'm not sure if there's going to be too much wiggle room since I think they're a chain but I'm going to take all the steps I can (short of bringing him home before things are ready for him, which is not fair to him) to make sure he comes home with me. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

They do this morning and night for about an hour :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhpzCM6bQI
Love those brrp brrp sounds :3:

subpar anachronism posted:

Just worked out a birb budget. It is 100% officially allowed now. Didn't even have to cage my husband guys! Keeping my fingers crossed he's still available in a few weeks when it's my birthday. AAAAAAAAAAH. Wish me luck bird crazies! I think 3 is the magic number for our flock... the budgies are bonded and want nothing to do with me most of the time, and I'm looking forward to having someone to lavish attention on. I work from home so I have plenty of time. ohmygodiamsoexcited

:toot: :woop:

EDIT: Also I love your nails

Tendai fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 15, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Official Bizness posted:

That cockatoo just looks like it's entertaining itself with a bit of a dance as its human prepares a treat or a scritch.

Yeah but then a thunderstorm started outside and the neighbor's cat got caught in a downpour.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So I'm pretty sure I'm just being a worrywart about Charlie's feather situation. Was giving him scritches earlier and his head is spikier than I thought and when I took a look a little further down his back a couple of feathers fell out and I saw some big pin feathers before I accidentally jostled one and got bit... Plus I checked the feathers and they're from all over his body.

For whatever reason he doesn't molt very often at all so I can't remember how long the whole thing actually takes him which has made me all nervous since it started last month

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Fwiw Teeka has had an unusually strong (?) molt this season. He usually just loses and replaces feathers at a normal rate, but for the past six weeks or so he basically exploded feathers from every part of his body. Stuff's finally growing in, but up until recently he had like 40% of a crest and still has big ol' blood feathers all over. Idk what it's about, he's not plucking or over-grooming, his body just decided to do it all at once this summer

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Charlie lost a bunch about 2-3 weeks ago and then it slowed down for a week and now it's picking up again. It's definitely just molting because I watched him preen some out and he wasn't pulling. Plus they're all contour feathers and I preened a good 3-4 feathers out just giving him scritches. The tiels are also undergoing a pretty big molt but I got freaked out because I haven't seen much from his head since the shedding picked up again. The smoking gun is that another flight feather fell out on top of the three he's already molted out when he flew over to me just now.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Novolo has a staph skin infection and she's been plucking her feathers out. She's on antibiotics but I have no idea how long this was going on as she was plucking under her wings and I only noticed when it got bad enough that she started plucking her breast too. I tried to make her a sweater but she figured out how to reach under it to bite at herself. I did, of course, get a picture.

edit: imgur isn't working wtf

http://imgur.com/BeXDGsd

I also tried making a little e-collar but that didn't last long either. I settled for putting ointment on her and gently redirecting her whenever she chewed on it.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

That's the face of murder. Bird murder. ... Birder.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

Novolo has a staph skin infection and she's been plucking her feathers out. She's on antibiotics but I have no idea how long this was going on as she was plucking under her wings and I only noticed when it got bad enough that she started plucking her breast too. I tried to make her a sweater but she figured out how to reach under it to bite at herself. I did, of course, get a picture.

edit: imgur isn't working wtf

http://imgur.com/BeXDGsd

I also tried making a little e-collar but that didn't last long either. I settled for putting ointment on her and gently redirecting her whenever she chewed on it.

Oh my god, this captures the essence of bird so well. So much disdain. So many planned bites.
Speaking of essence of bird, is there anything cuter than when one unsubtly maneuvers into your hand? Kiwi just waddled herself into my palm and earlier when I was reading in bed, she deposited herself against the space between my hand and my head.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The best thing about conures is how they'll shuffle up to cuddle/lean against your arm/hand... and how if you move it away they shuffle after it :kimchi:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Or they fall over :3:

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Look at this handsome little baby. His cage is huge, but he's not great at climbing yet so he mostly just drags his butt around the bottom for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa