Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I thought we all agreed on =/= for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh

Like !=

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

just say "isn't", you goobers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Raku posted:

They'd just remove you from the courtroom and not let you say anything.

What if I legally change my name to Jury Nullification so they have to keep saying it whenever they talk about me

What if that :colbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What if I legally change my name to Jury Nullification so they have to keep saying it whenever they talk about me

You would have to go through life as Jury Nullification, which is its own punishment.

also you would be referred to as Mr. or Miss Nullification.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Little_wh0re posted:

The simple version is that a jury has an implicit right to find the defendant not guilty no matter how obviously guilty they are as a way to protest unjust laws.

Unjust laws like occupying a federal wildlife preserve, destruction of archaeological sites/remains, theft and misuse of federal vehicles, destruction of property both federal and private....you know, obvious unjust laws

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

When I've been in for voir dire you were just referred to by your juror number. I mean, unless you were talking 1 on 1 with a clerk or something.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

EorayMel posted:

Have any of the Bundys tried to identify as a boat yet?

Oh man, I'd die if someone snuck a poster into the courtroom that said "You are not a boat" with a drawing of a tugboat going "toot toot". I imagine that would go over like the wolf sucking a cock at some stadium

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The usual sovcit claim is that everyone else is a boat, they're special because they aren't.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember reading about a judge who got tired of people using jury nullification as an excuse and just sentenced them to community service if they couldn't be on a jury.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's the same as ~= or != depending on the syntax.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that there ain't the same as ah reckon

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

a |= b ≡ a = a | b

:goonsay:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raku posted:

They'd just remove you from the courtroom and not let you say anything.

We are probably going to witness this happening, possibly multiple times. I'm quite excited for it!

Bip Roberts posted:

~= is such poo poo because that's also used to represent "approximates". I wish it wasn't used in SPSS...

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Aug 12, 2016

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I thought everyone used R nowadays except for NC State which uses SAS because the founder of SAS is an alum and pours money there

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know SPSS is still being used at the University of Oregon, at least.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

"The defendant, John Doe, who we have watching from the next room..."

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

SocketWrench posted:

Oh man, I'd die if someone snuck a poster into the courtroom that said "You are not a boat" with a drawing of a tugboat going "toot toot". I imagine that would go over like the wolf sucking a cock at some stadium

Not familiar with that idiom.

*edit* ↓ Surprise, legal concepts apply all the time and can have horrible outcomes. "Well your Honor, he killed that (black) guy but we just plain don't want to find him guilty." is no less likely than cool weed jury.

Peztopiary has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Aug 12, 2016

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

SocketWrench posted:

Unjust laws like occupying a federal wildlife preserve, destruction of archaeological sites/remains, theft and misuse of federal vehicles, destruction of property both federal and private....you know, obvious unjust laws

Hey! Woah! I agree with nullification in like possession cases.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

point of return posted:

I thought everyone used R nowadays except for NC State which uses SAS because the founder of SAS is an alum and pours money there

No. SAS and SPSS are still popular in a bunch of places, for being easier to use, and where there isn't a course structure dedicated to teaching people R coding.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Can we please get a course structure for teaching the people who work on R to actually get software engineers involved?

Goddamn is that language a pain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just use Excel. That's what I usually see the social sciences people doing :downs:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just use Excel. That's what I usually see the social sciences people doing :downs:

Honestly I'm not sure that's worse.

For anyone that has to use R, a basic number without any decimal is actually a length one vector of double precision floats, you're welcome. This also applies to character strings so 'foo' has length 1 :downs:. Also if you use matrices of different lengths in an operation it'll silently pad the shorter one out by having it repeat itself, because that's helpful and not going to create horrifying bugs. Also get in the habit of checking the source for things that make functions freak out because niceties like documenting what inputs cause an error rarely happen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Honestly I'm not sure that's worse.

For anyone that has to use R, a basic number without any decimal is actually a length one vector of double precision floats, you're welcome. This also applies to character strings so 'foo' has length 1 :downs:. Also if you use matrices of different lengths in an operation it'll silently pad the shorter one out by having it repeat itself, because that's helpful and not going to create horrifying bugs. Also get in the habit of checking the source for things that make functions freak out because niceties like documenting what inputs cause an error rarely happen.

The only one of those I even partially understood was the matrix one, which sounds horrifying.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Peztopiary posted:

Not familiar with that idiom.

*edit* ↓ Surprise, legal concepts apply all the time and can have horrible outcomes. "Well your Honor, he killed that (black) guy but we just plain don't want to find him guilty." is no less likely than cool weed jury.

My bad, swore it was a wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUhgxIY0S3E

Little_wh0re posted:

Hey! Woah! I agree with nullification in like possession cases.

Take it easy man, I was just listing off some stuff in response to what these sovcits see as unjust laws that the rest of us see as normal laws

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's an interesting American Splendor comic where Harvey Pekar goes to jury duty and is a potential jurist on a case for something minor like pot possession, and he was able to get out of it after expressing reservations with minimum sentencing. He felt that even if he was upholding the law he still had objections to the implementation of it. Dunno how true it is to what happened, or how things have changed since the 70's, but that was the story.

Like there's better ways to express dissatisfaction with the legal process and your mandated part in it than being Edgy McEdgelord and going all smuggo as you sneer out the words "jury nullification."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
which is dumb because if you are a firm believe in JN you should keep your mouth shut and your head down so you can be a sleeper and pull a Henry Fonda

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cumshitter posted:

There's an interesting American Splendor comic where Harvey Pekar goes to jury duty and is a potential jurist on a case for something minor like pot possession, and he was able to get out of it after expressing reservations with minimum sentencing. He felt that even if he was upholding the law he still had objections to the implementation of it. Dunno how true it is to what happened, or how things have changed since the 70's, but that was the story.

Like there's better ways to express dissatisfaction with the legal process and your mandated part in it than being Edgy McEdgelord and going all smuggo as you sneer out the words "jury nullification."

That's extra fitting given this whole Oregon bullshit started with someone getting re-sentenced because of mandatory minimums, which I don't agree with except in cases of rape, murder, and DUI (because too many people get off too easy on the first and last).

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's official, Ritzy has pleaded.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/refuge-occupier-jon-ritzheimer-pleads-guilty/

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Two and half years in Federal prison seems kind of on the light side here for one of the main players. Is that the max we can expect for the Bundiy clan if they force this to trial? They'd be out before all of the appeals are even finished. I thought they were going to make more of a example out of these fuckers.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They'll probably be caught with a gun after they're released or trying to vote so they'll be tossed back in and locked up again anyways.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It would not surprise me that he got a lighter sentence in return for pleaing guilty and testifying against the Bundys themselves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

radical meme posted:

Two and half years in Federal prison seems kind of on the light side here for one of the main players. Is that the max we can expect for the Bundiy clan if they force this to trial? They'd be out before all of the appeals are even finished. I thought they were going to make more of a example out of these fuckers.

You can bet that any plea deals involved turning on the Bundy clan. No, they're going to throw the book at them for both Bunkerville and Malheur and they're using the others to sell them out. The Feds have experience dealing with mafiosos and terrorists by having the underlings turn on the big man that some podunk insurrectionists aren't going to escape them.

Even the language used in Ritzheimer's statement is being made that Bundys weren't equals among them, but leaders, hence the comment about him clearing out the reserve before Ammon Bundy was to arrive. They're making it look like he was some conquering commander.

Also, linked from that article: Roseburg Boy Names Prize Steer After Slain Refuge Occupier

quote:

A 10-year-old Roseburg boy has honored one of the occupiers of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge by naming his prize-winning steer after him.

The News-Review reports that a 1,030-pound black Maine-Anjou named LaVoy Finicum earned third-place at the Douglas County Fair. The steer is named after Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, the Arizona rancher killed by law enforcement during the occupation. In March officials declared the shooting justified.

The steer was named by Ryley Schneider, who says Finicum was a hero for standing up against government overreach. Schneider used his time at the fair to talk to people about Finicum. He handed out pocket-sized copies of the U.S. Constitution to police officers.

Schneider says he hopes to donate some of his prize money to Finicum’s wife.

And that steer is going to suffer the same fate as Lavoy: being third-rate and going to slaughter.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

You can bet that any plea deals involved turning on the Bundy clan. No, they're going to throw the book at them for both Bunkerville and Malheur and they're using the others to sell them out. The Feds have experience dealing with mafiosos and terrorists by having the underlings turn on the big man that some podunk insurrectionists aren't going to escape them.

Also, linked from that article: Roseburg Boy Names Prize Steer After Slain Refuge Occupier

And that steer is going to suffer the same fate as Lavoy: being third-rate and going to slaughter.

Steer means it's been castrated.

Thought you'd want to know.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Young Freud posted:

Even the language used in Ritzheimer's statement is being made that Bundys weren't equals among them, but leaders, hence the comment about him clearing out the reserve before Ammon Bundy was to arrive. They're making it look like he was some conquering commander.

Man, seeing the kids brought up on this brainwashing is always depressing. The kid is nowhere near old enough to have any idea what he's talking about beyond what his parents spoonfeed him, but he's already spewing their favorite garbage, venerating their martyr, and passing out their magical documents, so he's got next to no chance of growing up with a healthy outlook.

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of testimony the Feds really need for so many plea deals. Surely they have enough to bury the Bundys in the deepest pits they have already?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

spewing their favorite garbage, venerating their martyr, and passing out their magical documents, so he's got next to no chance of growing up with a healthy outlook.

... But enough about christianity :smugdog:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

radical meme posted:

The Feds know they can easily nail Cliven, and probably all his idiot sons, hard enough to keep them in prison for decades and it'd be nice if they actually did just that considering the whole "armed standoff against law enforcement and openly encouraged violence against the BLM and its employees" thing. They're a family of domestic terrorists and need to be dealt with as such.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

... But enough about christianity :smugdog:

You joke, but that's honestly where I was going with this. SovCit gibberish is basically a religion for these people. They cling to it with just as much fervor as any other zealot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gonna be a bunch of dissapointed goons when Bundy gets 5-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Gonna be a bunch of dissapointed goons when Bundy gets 5-10.

Which one? There are three Bundys who are going to be sent away, and it's a safe bet they will all get more than 5-10.