Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Australia, Japan, and the US are all the same bluray region. EU is a different region (which it shares with China for some WTF reason)

Piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Didn't notice that they did put the whole panel up eventually. Might not help with you people in inferior regions, though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOzh1gL4xM

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Based on how badly they butchered their last big property, The Magicians, I doubt SyFy ever really thought they'd have a 9/10 quality show worth exporting. They're probably playing catch up with licensing agreements on the success of The Expanse, a much better written, produced and acted show, with a fan base that doesn't feel hugely ripped off after season one.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Aquarium Gravel posted:

The Expanse, a much better written, produced and acted show, with a fan base that doesn't feel hugely ripped off after season one.

Let's not lay across that rail until we've seen what the second season delivers. Some of us still remember BSG.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
I'm limiting my observations of gratitude for quality to what exists so far, only Season 1, if you notice.

That said, I've/we've seen the source material for season 2, and it's pretty strong. Cautious optimism.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
BSG didn't actually have an overall plan. Even if the actual book authors weren't involved in The Expanse there is actually a lot of existing material to cover and adapt.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
While true, I've been reading the books (up through about 50 pages from the end of book 2), and the show is doing a faithful adaptation, but as mentioned it's meshing the storylines a fair bit.

Given the response to canonical changes in GoT the show vs. the books, I'd still be very cautious about planting a flag that this show will "do it right" before seeing what their 2nd season pans out with.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Based on how badly they butchered their last big property, The Magicians, I doubt SyFy ever really thought they'd have a 9/10 quality show worth exporting. They're probably playing catch up with licensing agreements on the success of The Expanse, a much better written, produced and acted show, with a fan base that doesn't feel hugely ripped off after season one.

This is sort of strange reasoning given how the Expanse had a much bigger production budget than SyFy's past low budget "shotgun" approach shows.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

koreban posted:

Given the response to canonical changes in GoT the show vs. the books, I'd still be very cautious about planting a flag that this show will "do it right" before seeing what their 2nd season pans out with.

What makes the difference, I think, is that the writers of this show seem to have more input than GRRM has, and for all that some things have to get pared down, they seem to be using the opportunity as a sort of do-over, tightening the early story in light of what they know is coming later.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

koreban posted:

While true, I've been reading the books (up through about 50 pages from the end of book 2), and the show is doing a faithful adaptation, but as mentioned it's meshing the storylines a fair bit.

For what it's worth, the writers have said that this is how they would have done the story if they knew what they knew now. The Expanse series has had a pretty strange development time - three books, to six (near the end of book three), to nine (during book four's development).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

koreban posted:

Some of us still remember BSG.

The greatest scifi show of all time? Yeah if the Expanse is half as good that'd be awesome.

(I will entertain arguments for Babylon 5 being better than BSG)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

The greatest scifi show of all time? Yeah if the Expanse is half as good that'd be awesome.

Babylon 5 praise makes me happy, I just bought the DVDs and have started season 1. I'm really looking forward to the in depth story that everyone seems to laud.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I finally caved awhile back and read some of the stuff that happens in the books and the thought of any of it made into a TV show as good as the Expanse has been so far made me giddy so I deliberately stopped reading and now I've forgotten the details

Basically I'm pumped for season 2

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hedrigall posted:

Babylon 5 praise makes me happy, I just bought the DVDs and have started season 1. I'm really looking forward to the in depth story that everyone seems to laud.

It's excellent, I'm rewatching it at the moment. It also rewards a rewatch because the whole thing is so tightly plotted, the creator had 10+ years to work on it before it got made. There are tiny little throwaway lines in the pilot episode that set up poo poo in season 4, it's great. Unlike anything else ever made for TV. As much as people criticize shows for not being planned out beforehand, fact is other than adaptations B5 is probably the only show that's been fully planned from day one and even B5 was extensively reworked during the course of filming. All writers rewrite during the course of making a story, you just don't see that in novels because the author can edit it all smoothly together before releasing it. TV, once it's out there it's out and you can't take it back.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I guess Babylon 5 is fine if you've never seen DS9 :can:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

DS9 is also great. Can't we all be friends and enjoy our wide range of pew pew spaceships together? :glomp:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grand Fromage posted:

DS9 is also great. Can't we all be friends and enjoy our wide range of pew pew spaceships together? :glomp:

No, you have to pick one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Magicians and The Expanse came out at the same time though. :confused:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Sure, if you think Paramount - who JMS went to first - didn't borrow a lot of the ideas they were presented with.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Is this even an argument that people have?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

koreban posted:

It's one I have in my head occasionally.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

It's one I have in my head occasionally.

Don't second guess your first inclination. It really *is* a top 1 or maybe 2 sfi-fi show.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

koreban posted:

BSG has better acting, better soundtrack and, of course, better FX. I say this as a huge fan of B5.

But B5's story and characters beat it because B5 had an overarching plan and BSG threw things at a dartboard and had inconsistent developments for the sake of drama. BSG is amazing at its best (Season 1, the Pegasus arc, end of Season 2) but starts getting bogged down in Season 3 and Season 4 was a victim of the writers' strike... and the people in charge not really knowing where they were going. B5 has shaky legs at the beginning but ends well - Sleeping in Light is one of the best endings a TV series could hope for. BSG begins fantastically but slows down and gets worse and while Daybreak is a fine finale... it's not a fantastic ending, either.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
The sarcasm didn't come across well. I'm firmly in the B5>all camp.

That said, to your point, I'd put Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas' performances in B5 up against anyone in BSG and dare you to find acting on that level. BSG benefitted from 15 years of TV development and technology which, to their credit, they did a stellar job of in the miniseries. They touched upon that same magic a couple times during the show, but overall, it was a hot, unplanned mess and it ended how most hot unplanned messes tend to end up.

B5 is far from perfect. I genuinely would have liked to see how it would have panned out had they not gotten notice during the 4th season that they were being cancelled, only to have TNT pick them up for the 5th. That truncated wrap to the shadow war, plus earth epilogue was as good as they could have made it, but 20 more episodes to really press the story would have been amazing.

edit: spoilered for those who mentioned they were just watching it through now.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I'd put B5 in the same category as B7 (Blake's 7) as "really good shows for their time that I would not recommend today."

B5 has some great moments but suffered from poor acting, cheapo sets, and pedestrian direction. Even its strongest point, a well-planned arc, heavily cribbed from Tolkien. Which may or may not bother you. Anyway, I'm happy that people still love B5 but it has not aged well.

Also, Sinclair > Sheridan come at me bro

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Agronox posted:

Also, Sinclair > Sheridan come at me bro

We live for the One, we die for the One!

I still recommend B5 to people today but I generously lather on the obligatory caveats about basically everything you mentioned. If someone somehow hasn't seen it & thinks they have a good tolerance for poor aging, by all means I'm gonna tell them to check it out and/or lend them my DVDs.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

B5 was amazing and I miss Andreas Katsulas :(

Dead...dead...dead...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

BSG is simultaneously the best and the worst sci-fi show ever. I've never seen a show that rose so high only to fall so hard. The lack of direction and planning gets comical towards the end.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

the worst sci-fi show ever

This just sounds like you haven't watched much. The worst episode of BSG is better than most TV sci-fi ever filmed. The goon revisionist hyperbole about BSG is nuts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

This just sounds like you haven't watched much. The worst episode of BSG is better than most TV sci-fi ever filmed. The goon revisionist hyperbole about BSG is nuts.

Or maybe sometimes people don't like a thing you do.

While I won't call it the "worst sci fi TV", I never liked BSG. I watched the miniseries and was unimpressed. I was even more unimpressed when the 1st season started. It's not "revisionist hyperbole", I never liked it and would never recommend it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's fine, but there was a whole lot of love during the show that has turned into retroactive "worst show ever" stuff. It's a pattern, I've rarely seen a show that doesn't abruptly get legions of hate on the internet around season three. It's like clockwork. I don't get it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still laugh whenever I see "And they have a plan."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
BSG captured the Bush years better than any other TV show and it will always be worth watching for that.

Also the music just got better and better and better until it literally took over the plot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

BSG captured the Bush years better than any other TV show and it will always be worth watching for that.

Also the music just got better and better and better until it literally took over the plot.

It's really kind of amazing that they got the heroes to be suicide bombers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I always think about how there's no way to determine whether a Cylon is any different to a person... but they have some kind of computer interface mechanism in their hand which you can cut open and plug wires into. It's somewhat pedantic but it's always something I think about. I think if you're dealing with the end of humanity, cutting open someone's hand in a way that doesn't render it inoperable isn't really that severe a thing to deal with.

edit: I also think it's unfortunate that BSG's FX team changed from Season 3 onwards. The Resurrection Ship battle has this incredible sense of majesty and weight. The later seasons lack that oomph. I'm sure there's someone who knows more about CGI rendering and direction that can explain it better than me.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

I always think about how there's no way to determine whether a Cylon is any different to a person... but they have some kind of computer interface mechanism in their hand which you can cut open and plug wires into. It's somewhat pedantic but it's always something I think about. I think if you're dealing with the end of humanity, cutting open someone's hand in a way that doesn't render it inoperable isn't really that severe a thing to deal with.

Yeah, Cylon biology never made much sense. Along the same lines, the Mitochondrial Eve bit at the end was kind of a dud. I get the impression that the writers liked the term but didn't really understand the concept very well, so they acted like it was more significant than it really was.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

flosofl posted:

Or maybe sometimes people don't like a thing you do.

While I won't call it the "worst sci fi TV", I never liked BSG. I watched the miniseries and was unimpressed. I was even more unimpressed when the 1st season started. It's not "revisionist hyperbole", I never liked it and would never recommend it.

Grand Fromage posted:

No, I think Black Market, and That Woman King really is that bad. The plots are nonsensical and introduce concepts completely unrelated to anything before that vanish as soon as the episode is done. Which is just as bad as the worse other tv sci fi. Andromeda was better plotted than those two.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There was no part of Andromeda that was better than BSG or nearly any other show. No part.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Im sure the hyperbole is more about the disappointment due to the potential we all saw in BSG early on. It looked like it was going to be the next great B5/DS9 but after the first season and a half or so started trying to ape Lost and didn't even try to mask it.

You're not wrong from an objective viewpoint, most TV scifi is amateur hour television, but we've also seen some fantastic stuff and a viewer once scorned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The problem with BSG was that most of the characters were such 2000's-cynicism-level assholes (and not in the good Breaking Bad kind of way) that I wouldn't mind them being killed by robots. I recall some 'general' summary of the twelve colonies that basically just focused on how common religious extremism and government torture were in each

It was really good for the first two seasons, but then you realised that the characters were just becoming nastier and the likeable ones were being killed off, and nobody was ever going to be called out on their gritty realistic mistakes or prejudices. Where did funny Baltar go? :(

I also enjoyed the bit where a well off attractive career officer put a gun to an ethnic prisoner's head and threatened to kill him if he didn't go down the space mines to extract water for are brave boys

• Locked thread