Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

derekcooper posted:

While I wouldn't describe it as horror, Oxenfree had some genuinely creepy moments.

I'd absolutely describe it as horror. Play it at night with headphones on, and that game has a drat tense atmosphere. It is third person, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I was pleasantly surprised by Fear 3. I loved the first one. That would be a great game to HD re-release. The second one felt like the weak link to me personally, but it was all right. Good franchise. I hope it comes back someday.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

al-azad posted:

FEAR 2 isn't that good. FEAR 3 is a good game but it makes an action leap like Dead Space 3 does. I enjoyed The Darkness 2 immensely but it's also an action shooter with some spooky moments.

I'm playing Fear 2 right now and It seems to be doing the job nicely. Good games to play with the lights off. Dead Space 2 ruined what the series had going for it in my opinion. 3 just put the final nail in the coffin by giving us the most awesome space freeroam for like 30 seconds then sticks us on planets. Using 200 year old colonic systems.

Also a note on The Darkness. The Darkness 2 when compared to the original PALES in comparison. I'd actually say strike 2 off the list and just go play The Darkness if you have a last gen console. I've already played that game to death.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'd absolutely describe it as horror. Play it at night with headphones on, and that game has a drat tense atmosphere. It is third person, though.

A game being in third person breaks the immersion unless the protagonist is silent and faceless. I dunno, just check the leap from Dead Space 1 to 2 and everything wrong that happened there.

And I do not count Resident Evil 4.
Why?

Speaks for itself. There are so many things wrong with that game now that I look back on it. And it just takes the piss too much to enable that immersion to happen.

Final word: I'm aware of F.E.A.R. 3 Co-op. If anyone is interested I have never played before and wouldn't mind playing just so long as I can get some Co-op in.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 15, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Danknificent posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by Fear 3. I loved the first one. That would be a great game to HD re-release. The second one felt like the weak link to me personally, but it was all right. Good franchise. I hope it comes back someday.
FEAR2 won over 3 in my books simply because it made an attempt to be spooky at times. Straight up thinking about them as FPS games, 3 might be better, but honestly I still think the first one is the most fun to play generally. I just appreciate it a lot if a game that isn't primarily horror manages to make me jump once in a while, both of the earlier games did the trick of focusing players attention to one place to spook them when they look away.

Though jumpscares in that vein are generally pretty lame, with this series I kinda forgive them just because there's primarily a fun shooter to enjoy there. Spooks are a fun bonus.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm playing Fear 2 right now and It seems to be doing the job nicely. Good games to play with the lights off. Dead Space 2 ruined what the series had going for it in my opinion. 3 just put the final nail in the coffin by giving us the most awesome space freeroam for like 30 seconds then sticks us on planets. Using 200 year old colonic systems.
Doesn't really have anything to do with what you said, but you reminded me of the ending to the Dead Space 3 epilogue DLC. It was such a great way to end an horror franchise, in a way that there sure as poo poo is never going back to the Dead Space universe, and it was pretty horrifying on a lot of levels. Off the top of my head, after DS3 events after you maybe kill the main alien bastards or something, you're stranded somewhere and the entire DLC is you getting back to Earth. Only when you finally get there, you get a hosed up garbled radio massage from earth, and the camera pans to show a massive planet sized necromorph thing rising up from behind Earth. Everyone in the world is loving dead, it was all for nothing, enjoy your existence together with your co op buddy on a lovely spaceship. Such a fantastic punch to the gut and the right way to end a horror-themed video game series. I'll see if I can find a youtube link to it as its probably a lot cooler when you're not reading the cliff notes.

e: yeah this should do. Its so abrupt too, I love it

smuh fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 15, 2016

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought F3AR was pretty bad but the expansions for the original FEAR were alright.
The first expansion (Extraction Point?) was pretty great iirc. Went heavy on the "spooky" sequences and just about pulled them off. That and the original campaign were basically peak FEAR, only dowhill from there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The ladder bit in F.E.A.R. is some bullshit hahaha you know the one.

F.E.A.R. has cool weapons and looks cool even if the pacing is weird due to the game being broken up so often into "fight some dudes with some neat AI quirks" and "get spooked by a girl that can't hurt you"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
FEAR 1 should have been like half as long as it was.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

So just cut out all the alma parts then? :v:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

smuh posted:

e: yeah this should do. Its so abrupt too, I love it

Honestly, kinda doesn't make sense. Probably could have been executed better in my opinion.

Not only that but earth isn't the only place where humans exist. A spin-off sequel where you play as a completely different person in the same universe could enable them to create that game they initially wanted to make. I'm pretty sure from all the articles I read and stuff from it being like one of the last games I followed hype for from the beginning that you weren't able to actually kill anything. Also that each monster was to be unique and have more of a The Thing vibe going than an Alien Vibe.

It can be implied that they do not survive that and that blast at the end was them being overtaken by a marker signal. It's not enjoy the rest of your miserable lives sort of situation, it's full on Event Horizon blood orgy time for issac and that other dude

\/ I know what you're talking about and I just never really felt it. It lost the feeling the previous games had, at least for me.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 15, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A goofy antagonist in Ramon Salazar does not discount the tension inherent to some parts of RE4. The village sequence. The novistadors. The two giants. The maze. The regenerators. There was some tense stuff in that game. Is it horror? Eh, maybe not. But I'll take tenseness over jump scares every time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the loving regenerators

also I'm confused at the implication that dead space 2 isn't a way better and scarier game than the first one

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know if they intended FEAR 3 to be spooky at all, but when you're some sort of supersoldier with a wisecracking ghost with a bullet hole in his head as a sidekick (especially if your friend is playing as said ghost), it's not exactly the most tense game out there.

Edit: A ghost with superpowers.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Blockhouse posted:

the loving regenerators

also I'm confused at the implication that dead space 2 isn't a way better and scarier game than the first one
its not. you go from room to room fighting hordes of aliens arena style. hall->locked in spawn room->hall->locked in spawn room etc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
RE4 made third person shooters not the absolute worst things to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blockhouse posted:

the loving regenerators

It's hard to say because horror games are rooted in the unknown and a lot of that was rubbed off in DS1. I know that a lot of people (myself included) just kept their lasers trained on every "dead" body and vent that we came across because a lot of that stuff was recycled from the first game. That and it was much more combat oriented, as the above poster said, which kills it a little bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The area where you return to the Ishimura is half of a great level. Too bad that they just throw waves of enemies at you when you're leaving, ruining the whole setup that the first half was going for that there was nothing there.

The cathedral and school were cool levels though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I really enjoy DS1 alot more than DS2 personally. It has a much better sense of atmosphere and location.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
DS3 spoilers - I'm confused on where all that biomass came from for those necromorph moons around Earth in the ending

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kulkasha posted:

DS3 spoilers - I'm confused on where all that biomass came from for those necromorph moons around Earth in the ending

deadspace 3 was such a clusterfuck i don't even remember what happened

the only setpiece i remember is the final stages where you're murking around in an alien...ship? catacombs? idk alien stuff was happening

i remember coming away from that game really annoyed and hating it, unlike DS1/2 where i really enjoyed the experience overall

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kulkasha posted:

It came from science, and also shut up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I don't know what the gently caress you people are talking about. Dead Space 3 was absolutely terrifying. It was a vision of a future where every game simply can't be just a single player game, and microtansactions are shoehorned into every full retail package. In space, monetization is the real horror.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The gimmick in this iteration is that this time, you have to dismember the franchise.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fear 2 was definitely the spookiest of the lot for me, though Fear 3 was a pretty good arcade shooter with its points and challenges and whatnot.

What's funny is, even though Fear 3 was the least spooky of the lot, it *did* have randomized jumpscares/spook events. That's actually pretty clever. Alma or monster-in-the-ceiling-knocking-down-boards-guy would only show up SOME of the time, randomized scares were a novel approach to keeping it from being samey.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

I didn't think those moons were made from earth's biomass, I think they'd all rocked up just to feed. Guess they're made up of aliens.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought F3AR was pretty bad but the expansions for the original FEAR were alright.

F3AR was absolutely the worst, and I was initially excited by it too. I thought it'd be kind of cool to play as Paxton Fettel. It was, actually, but the game completely failed to deliver on any and all horror aspects. Also, Paxton is a ghost, and at some point he gets punched unconscious because the game assumes that both players are playing Pointy. As far as that goes, Pointy getting punched unconscious is strange, because you got to figure that his entire world is bullet time now, but whatever.

Also, I actually liked the FEAR 1 expansions more than the original game. The gameplay was the same, but I liked the new story elements.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
DS3 - the more I think about it the lazier that ending gets. Poof, all life ends right now, by these ravenous living moons that somehow live for millions of years without any sustenance? And they haven't ended all life before but now they defs are? I get that the series ended and they wanted to really end it but like, killing all life via deus ex machina seems extreme.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kulkasha posted:

DS3 - the more I think about it the lazier that ending gets. Poof, all life ends right now, by these ravenous living moons that somehow live for millions of years without any sustenance? And they haven't ended all life before but now they defs are? I get that the series ended and they wanted to really end it but like, killing all life via deus ex machina seems extreme.

Dead Space was underwhelming as gently caress especially when someone told me it was 'more like system shock than bioshock was'

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dead Space 2 had a decent conclusive ending and I just go with that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Even if that too was a deus ex machina. Replace the shuttle with a chariot and it is basically Medea

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I got a pretty good laugh at the fakeout they do in that scene.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

I got a pretty good laugh at the fakeout they do in that scene.
That's part of the reason why I like it as the ending for the series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Horror franchises always end at part 2 in my mind. Ripley and Newt make it back to earth, Judgment Day is averted, Freddy Krueger is eternally bound to the real world and dream world, Michael Myers is burned alive, Jason Vorhees is a disfigured hillbilly killed by a machete, the Sawyer family is killed off completely, Chucky is defeated, the survivors of Monroeville Mall fly away with half a tank of gas and no destination in mind.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
But Nightmare on Elm Street has a good and conclusive trilogy, its 1, 3, and New Nightmare. :haw:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dead Space 3 was so bad. 1 and 2 were both really good in their own way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Dead Space was underwhelming as gently caress especially when someone told me it was 'more like system shock than bioshock was'

At least it was a good game unlike Bioshock

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

They weren't wrong.

But good news is we'll have a system shock remake soon and that'll be the best game ending in the word shock.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

They weren't wrong.

But good news is we'll have a system shock remake soon and that'll be the best game ending in the word shock.

I mean they weren't but it wasn't the same experience imo

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I don't know about that; I liked FEAR 2, but nowadays I feel like the game is too hectic and busy for its own good. There's quite a bit of dead time interspersed between the firefights in FEAR 1, so there's always some time to catch your breath, relax a little, and then get caught by a spook.

I'd also say that FEAR 1's audio diaries have the best presentation I've yet seen in a game. Most of the time when you get an audio diary in a game, it's some guy who read his diary entry for the day, appended it with a keypad code, then dropped his tape recorder about twenty miles from his house. In FEAR 1 they're all regular voice mail messages, and they're very naturalistic; at the beginning of the game in the water treatment plant, they're just the plant workers calling each other and saying things like "hey dude, I heard some explosions. You guys okay over there?" Once you get to the Armacham building, all the voicemails are two days' worth of conversations between various employees trying to manage the catastrophe you got sucked into. It all sounded like stuff people would be calling each other about in this sort of situation.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DS3 is pretty good. Fear 3 also had one of the most insane moments ever put into a game story She raped me!!! *gore explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dead Space 3 also generated weird nerd hate like I tweeted how I was excited for the co-op stuff and some guy got so mad at me that he went through my Twitter pictures to find something to own me with