Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

In the latest :psyduck: news regarding the Mekton KS, they've purchased their own POD setup to send out the books... next thing they're going to reveal they've built their own cloud storage solution to deliver the PDFs at this rate.
That reminds me of when what's-his-name from the Traveller KS didn't have digital rewards at first, because he didn't think it'd be practical to have to burn hundreds of CDs to mail out to all the backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

CottonWolf posted:

I think they're both broader concepts than one another. There are certainly non-Kabbalahistic mystical Tree of Life concepts, though I'm not sure if the reverse is true.

If you pay $45,000, Monte Cook will skype you about the super secret tree of life that only he knows about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shanna Germain confirmed over on G+ that there isn't going to be a digital version at all. Which isn't surprising, but is still stupid for a game that has "you can play with people anywhere anywhen" as a major selling point.

https://plus.google.com/+ShannaGermain/posts/hveLaRgyyZb

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

That reminds me of when what's-his-name from the Traveller KS didn't have digital rewards at first, because he didn't think it'd be practical to have to burn hundreds of CDs to mail out to all the backers.

lmao :wtc:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how I look at their list of "unique" sample characters, and realize how easily I could make those characters in a couple of other systems.

What are they? I couldn't find them when I looked for them on the Kickstarter page.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Shanna Germain confirmed over on G+ that there isn't going to be a digital version at all. Which isn't surprising, but is still stupid for a game that has "you can play with people anywhere anywhen" as a major selling point.

https://plus.google.com/+ShannaGermain/posts/hveLaRgyyZb

Well, of course. That's because the boxes are quantum entangled with one another, and you need to use the hand to say 'No thank you, Grognard' to unwanted connections from other groups.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

What are they? I couldn't find them when I looked for them on the Kickstarter page.
They're right after the initial "do you want an RPG that's as creative as you are?" paragraph, so I don't blame you for missing it while your eyes were rolling.

quote:

Lorcan made a gun out of demon which fires bullets that only harm possessed people. On his quest to discover the long-forgotten (and perhaps forbidden) number between 12 and 13, the weapon is proving useful as the Enemies of Sleep appear determined to stop him.

Duri’s face is normally a blur of swirling spiritforms, but occasionally she can make one of them manifest, and she gains its appearance and memories. If she risks keeping the new face too long, however, she can lose her identity.

Thom is dead, but he doesn’t let that deter him. While he knows how to restore his life, he chooses not to, because the advantages of being a wraith are many. Of course, he occasionally has issues with not existing.

Rodir has connections all over the city, and she holds a collection of wicked keys that allow her to solve (unlock) any problem (lock) by just creating a keyhole to insert a key, turn it, and see what happens. People don’t appreciate it when she does this to them, but that’s what they get for being in her way.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

quote:

On his quest to discover the long-forgotten (and perhaps forbidden) number between 12 and 13,

OK, Monte, you cannot possibly pretend that you don't understand what decimals and fractions are.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Comparing that ridiculous price point to other games:

Warage -- if it goes anywhere, which is maybe a little iffy -- cost €54 + shipping for a box with 1040 cards, a play board, a handful of dice and some rules.

Phoenix: Dawn Command, which landed in my mailbox on Friday, cost me in the region of $70 for a gorgeous high-quality rulebook (b/w only, 400-some pages) and all the cards I need to play the game, and the game looks pretty drat sweet.

Battlecon: Devastation of Indines contains 30 characters for playing with, lessons for introducing new players, about six alternative game modes, and retails for £60 or so.

You could have all three of those for slightly more than the price of one Box From The Void, and I would bet that money all over again that all three games are better than Invisible Sun turns out to be.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're right after the initial "do you want an RPG that's as creative as you are?" paragraph, so I don't blame you for missing it while your eyes were rolling.

What are "Concepts that fell out of Grant Morrison's wastepaper basket"?

(Though that last one is an edgelord's reimagining of Lady Door from Neverwhere.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Bieeardo posted:

(Though that last one is an edgelord's reimagining of Lady Door from Neverwhere.)

I was thinking more the dude from Tokyo Gore Police.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

potatocubed posted:

I was thinking more the dude from Tokyo Gore Police.

He's more about making problems though, isn't he?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I honestly can't remember. I remember the key thing, and most of the horrible transformations, but the reasoning behind it all was washed away in a tide of wtf.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The character concepts are dumb to the level of satire, especially the first one. I had to go look at the project page to make sure they're real.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
No lorcan, you are the demons

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

quote:

Lorcan made a gun out of demon which fires bullets that only harm possessed people. On his quest to discover the long-forgotten (and perhaps forbidden) number between 12 and 13, the weapon is proving useful as the Enemies of Sleep appear determined to stop him.

Duri’s face is normally a blur of swirling spiritforms, but occasionally she can make one of them manifest, and she gains its appearance and memories. If she risks keeping the new face too long, however, she can lose her identity.

Thom is dead, but he doesn’t let that deter him. While he knows how to restore his life, he chooses not to, because the advantages of being a wraith are many. Of course, he occasionally has issues with not existing.

Rodir has connections all over the city, and she holds a collection of wicked keys that allow her to solve (unlock) any problem (lock) by just creating a keyhole to insert a key, turn it, and see what happens. People don’t appreciate it when she does this to them, but that’s what they get for being in her way.

I could make all these in GURPS if I wanted to. I don't want to because it's kind of a hassle. But the first is just a gun with special abilities - at the easiest just a special kind of equipment, at the hardest a form of Innate Attack that can only harm possessed people. The second is just a Shapechange that is limited to slight variations upon oneself with different faces and abilities, complete with a modified Racial Memory to handle the different memories. Just being a wraith is really easy to stat up in GURPS. Rodir is... gently caress if I know, "Solve Any Problem - Range: Touch". If I can't stat this up in GURPS it's only because GURPS realizes that a power like that would incredibly stupid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has at least five or six characters who have guns made out of demons lying around somewhere.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
I'd rather play Monte's stupid system than GURPS or any other simulation nightmare...

Edit: joke is on me... Monte's system will probably be a badly disguised simulation engine with story poo poo thrown on top...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nancy_Noxious posted:

I'd rather play Monte's stupid system than GURPS or any other simulation nightmare...

Edit: joke is on me... Monte's system will probably be a badly disguised simulation engine with story poo poo thrown on top...

Ding ding ding!

Monte is firmly stuck in the past and I don't think he's ever designed a game that wasn't a simulation engine.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nancy_Noxious posted:

It's also easy to stat up in FATE:

"I get +2 to shooting possessed people if I use my special gun."
"I get +2 to doing anything where the face, memory, or skills of someone else may benefit. If I use it too much the GM can give me a Fate point in return for a loss-of-personality-based Stress."
"I am a wraith. I get +2 to wraith-y things."
"I get +2 to solve any problem as long as I fluff it as using a magical key to open a metaphorical lock."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
You know, it just occurred to me that a combination of the absurd price point and the 'no digital' policy means that the only people able to review the game... will be the ones who already shelled out $200 for it.

It seems like a pretty effective way to block criticism.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Fatal and Friends GoFundMe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just saw Ken Hite retweet someone using Invisible Sun's price point being less than some of their bar tabs as an incentive to buy it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Fatal and Friends GoFundMe?

I'd throw in $10 if someone was willing to do it. My morbid curiosity is strong, but nowhere near $200 strong.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bieeardo posted:

I just saw Ken Hite retweet someone using Invisible Sun's price point being less than some of their bar tabs as an incentive to buy it.

I mean, RPGs are a pretty cheap hobby and if five people buy this and play it for say 20 hours that's cheaper then getting the newest Call of Duty. Especially if you are a game designer I'd imagine you'd be happy to see a product like this take off.
Now this specific game seems bad at half the cost, but potentially I would consider buying a game for this much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

neaden posted:

I mean, RPGs are a pretty cheap hobby and if five people buy this and play it for say 20 hours that's cheaper then getting the newest Call of Duty. Especially if you are a game designer I'd imagine you'd be happy to see a product like this take off.
Now this specific game seems bad at half the cost, but potentially I would consider buying a game for this much.

Its an interesting paradigm shift; explicitly marketing a game to a group to buy in together, rather than to a GM

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has at least five or six characters who have guns made out of demons lying around somewhere.

As does Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World (which is a fantastic book BTW).

jivjov posted:

Its an interesting paradigm shift; explicitly marketing a game to a group to buy in together, rather than to a GM

I feel like this was addressed in the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Millhouse split the comic book.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think if a group is willing to give me $200 to run a game, I'll take that money, not buy Monte's game, and instead of that, put a chunk of that into making tacos for my players while I run whatever. Would my players like Monte's game? I don't know. But I do know they'd enjoy tacos.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

I feel like this was addressed in the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Millhouse split the comic book.

This is how it's gone whenever I've seen it in the wild. Ownership is a sticky wicket.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
True; deciding who owns the box-o-feelies would be trouble...ideally a surmountable one though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

True; deciding who owns the box-o-feelies would be trouble...ideally a surmountable one though.

See this is usually why the GM is the one to own the game, as they're the one who put in the work organising and setting up the game they're also likely to be one investing money as well as time. Typically all players have to do is show up (and even then that's too hard for some people).

So when you're divvying up ownership, based on any fair assessment of work it's the GM who should own it, so why should anyone else in the group chip in other than to get to play the game. You'd have to have a very formal RPG group structure for it to work, with a treasurer and everything else, which I've only seen in long running institutions like college RPG clubs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bieeardo posted:

What are "Concepts that fell out of Grant Morrison's wastepaper basket"?

(Though that last one is an edgelord's reimagining of Lady Door from Neverwhere.

As written, it looks like a character who solves the mysteries of the universe by jamming keys up people's assholes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Well 421 people are willing to try it, bringing them to half of their goal, in about 8 hours, so it's not like they won't make it.

Like I said, I would and have put that kind of money into gaming before - Delta Green, all of my Ravenloft poo poo. Even core D&D is a $120 investment just for the 3 main books if you pay full retail for them, so asking another $77 isn't THAT out of the question. My hesitation is that it's an unknown system in a new IP, and I guess I'd rather sink my money into something like DG, which I know I'll get $200 worth of gaming out of.

Edit: And I couldn't imagine splitting ownership with people in my gaming group. I guess we go by the old groggy "he who runs the game, buys the game" rule.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_%E2%80%93_What%27s_Inside_the_Cube%3F

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That would require having heard of it in the first place. Also :lol: at getting a cut of GODUS of all things.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

To be fair at least one of those backers is someone like me backing for one dollar to get a front row seat to this mess.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

My big warning :siren: for Monte Cook's Invisible Money Trap isn't so much the price or the history or the pretentiousness, it's that there aren't any specifics where it matters. He's got a sculpt for this big important hand thing and a board that is twice as big as it needs to be to serve its purpose but the in the box page is vague as hell. At no point to we see what any of this plethora of beautiful, intricate, special, game-specific, gorgeous, fantastic, unique, handy, special, mysterious poo poo looks like.

He's yet to commission the art and write the rules for this game. It's all just a design document. Between now and next November he's going to actually make the game and its final form will probably resemble what you see here. Hopefully.

It does mention electronic versions of the rules there, though, so we'll eventually get to see how delightfully groundbreaking the rules are.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Numenera, The Strange, and No Thank You, Evil have all delivered more or less on time and have been decent products. The first two weren't my bag but I liked NTY,E and was very happy with it. It's not like this is going to be Alas Far West Vegas 2 or something.

Speaking of, every time I see GMS or James Wallis post on social media I have to restrain myself from snarking off about them finishing their Kickstarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Peas and Rice posted:

Speaking of, every time I see GMS or James Wallis post on social media I have to restrain myself from snarking off about them finishing their Kickstarters.

I couldn't resist snarking about it on the FFG boards with the new edition of Baron Munchausen was announced