Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Giuliani was clearly talking about the 8 years since the PATRIOT act was passed (a month after 9/11). Which is a really stupid point in my opinion, but I think people need to look at the context on this one.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/jan/08/rudy-giuliani/giuliani-says-there-were-no-domestic-attacks-durin/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ReidRansom posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765285492711682048

Some numbers from PPP's Texas poll over the weekend?

Johnson's numbers looking not so great leads me to believe Trump isn't as weak here as I'm hoping. Guess we'll find out tomorrow or Wednesday

I get evil glee out of seeing the Green Party tied with Harambe.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I think the "Clinton is too old" stuff is just residual saltiness/Rovian tactics to make up for questions around Reagan, McCain, and W. There was actually an interesting video of W. during his gubernatorial campaign looking all the much brighter than he did during his presidency.

One of the going rumors was that he was back on the sauce/suffering from withdrawal. Or otherwise degenerating as it had just came out that Reagan did. And the response to him choking on a pretzel was right up there, too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765285492711682048

Some numbers from PPP's Texas poll over the weekend?

Johnson's numbers looking not so great leads me to believe Trump isn't as weak here as I'm hoping. Guess we'll find out tomorrow or Wednesday
Yeah. Trump likely leading. But there's some chatter:

quote:

Austin-based Democratic pollster Leland Beatty argues, in a memo obtained by The Texas Tribune, that several factors, including an anticipated drop in GOP straight-ticket voting, could provide beleaguered state Democrats their biggest opening in 20 years. His predictions come as Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton continues to trounce Trump in all national and most battleground state polling, raising questions about his strength even in some reliably red states.

In Texas, 20 state House districts may be in play out of 39 where there is a GOP incumbent and a Democratic challenger on the ballot, Beatty wrote. In all 39 districts, a majority of those expected to vote — ranging from 52 percent to 72 percent — see corruption as widespread in Texas government, according to Beatty's projections.

[...]

A poll done by Beatty in June found Clinton trailing Trump in Texas by only 7 percentage points, 30 percent to 37 percent. A week later, a nonpartisan University of Texas/Texas Politics Project survey found a similar margin, with Clinton behind Trump by 8 points, 33 percent to 41 percent.

State Democrats got a shot in the arm earlier this week when Clinton's running mate, Tim Kaine, dropped in on Texas for a two-day fundraising swing that included a volunteer thank you event Tuesday in Austin. The U.S. senator from Virginia told volunteers he and Clinton are "very serious" about Texas, and in a subsequent radio interview, he said it is "definitely possible" Clinton could carry the state in November.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/11/memo-texas-dems-have-greatest-opportunities-20-yea/
In 2012, Obama took 41 percent of the vote in Texas.

So if Hillary has consolidated to that level, and Trump has stayed flat, it could be neck and neck.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

foobardog posted:

I think the "Clinton is too old" stuff is just residual saltiness/Rovian tactics to make up for questions around Reagan, McCain, and W. There was actually an interesting video of W. during his gubernatorial campaign looking all the much brighter than he did during his presidency.

One of the going rumors was that he was back on the sauce/suffering from withdrawal. Or otherwise degenerating as out had came out that Reagan had. And the response to him choking on a pretzel was right up there, too.

"Clinton is too old" also runs into the undeniable fact she is two years younger than Donald Trump.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CatlinNya/status/765292608960786433
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765292831955189760

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

"Clinton is too old" also runs into the undeniable fact she is two years younger than Donald Trump.

And the same age as Mitt.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How brief would Trump's statements be if he couldn't use the words "very" or "best?"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

:yum:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
But what if Hillary is just walking by the big red nuclear button, and slips and falls on it.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN LIBERALS HUH?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Is there evidence that Wallace was actually a spy? Something of a fellow-traveler, sure, but that's not the same thing.

Perhaps Iron Rose was thinking of Alger Hiss, who was almost certainly an actual spy and was involved in policy-making at a pretty high level, though I don't remember him being considered for VP.

Two deaths means Speaker of the House.

Which would have been Joseph William Martin Jr., Sam Rayburn, or McCormack. None of them were Communists or Communist sympathizers.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

ImpAtom posted:

Never underestimate people's ability to deny reality. Any fact is deniable, especially if it doesn't adhere to the narratives and ideologies of people.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

How brief would Trump's statements be if he couldn't use the words "very" or "best?"

Actually, I bet if you did lexical analysis, Trump says "I" in his speeches more than that terrible narcissistic dictator Obama.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Trump may be older than Clinton, but don't forget that he has been medically certified to be the most healthy presidential candidate ever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Really, Obama is the oddity for being so young when he got elected.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Air is lava! posted:

Are they just seeing something which doesn't exist? I don't see any kind of slip. She just stepped down from a podium that's all.
:confused:

Yeah. This exactly.

I think she might have semi-awkwardly leaned on Biden for a second, I guess?????

Also, really random, but how tall is Hillary? Or is Biden a million feet tall?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

But what if Hillary is just walking by the big red nuclear button, and slips and falls on it.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN LIBERALS HUH?

We let Gerald Ford near it!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/765228556620292096

Damned Commies from Chicago.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Two House committees demanding that the DOJ indict and convict Hillary on perjury for a 2015 congressional hearing.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/house-panels-lay-out-case-for-clinton-perjury-accusations

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

We needed the Illinois Nazis to keep them in check.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Giuliani was clearly talking about the 8 years since the PATRIOT act was passed (a month after 9/11). Which is a really stupid point in my opinion, but I think people need to look at the context on this one.

The context is that Rudy is human garbage who deserves to be mocked and shunned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that for anyone in their 70s becoming President is a loving amazing thought to me. The thought of dealing with that level of work and stress in your 70s, even if you've got the best doctors on the planet, is mind-boggling. 70 is the age my grandmother could barely get out of bed anymore and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump both have days that make my toughest work day look like a breeze pretty much every day of the week.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Bush kept us safe.

Man it's pretty fun seeing Democrats actually being the ones that actually get poo poo done.
Osama killed thousands of people under Republican watch and was taken down under a Democratic one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You sure that was the Chief and not Clarke? That is totally something Clarke would say.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

foobardog posted:

Actually, I bet if you did lexical analysis, Trump says "I" in his speeches more than that terrible narcissistic dictator Obama.

I agree, but we'd also need his array of cronies to explain what he meant by "I."

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Teddybear posted:

Two House committees demanding that the DOJ indict and convict Hillary on perjury for a 2015 congressional hearing.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/house-panels-lay-out-case-for-clinton-perjury-accusations

When will Chaffetz please go away? He's so awful.

Also thanks thread, I now know that George HW Bush puked on the Japanese Prime Minister and then fainted. Which is so amazing, I am absolutely beside myself with glee.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

foobardog posted:

Yeah but at least he's not a nagger.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Man it's pretty fun seeing Democrats actually being the ones that actually get poo poo done.
Osama killed thousands of people under Republican watch and was taken down under a Democratic one.

Remember that Bill Clinton tried to take out Osama while in Iraq (?), and the Republicans dismissed it as him trying to distract from the Impeachment proceedings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that for anyone in their 70s becoming President is a loving amazing thought to me. The thought of dealing with that level of work and stress in your 70s, even if you've got the best doctors on the planet, is mind-boggling. 70 is the age my grandmother could barely get out of bed anymore and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump both have days that make my toughest work day look like a breeze pretty much every day of the week.

It never quite occurred to me that these are people within, on average, about a decade of straight up croaking. Sheesh

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Argas posted:

This is sadly most of it, just like how men actually talk way more than women despite the stereotype.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

It never quite occurred to me that these are people within, on average, about a decade of straight up croaking. Sheesh

It's one of the things that makes concluding "the presidency ages you faster" hard. Our presidents really have been super old.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Argas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDmND519v0

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Teddybear posted:

See this poo poo right here, get ready for eight loving years of this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

..., especially for (black) teens. (Others on case by case basis (whites permitted))

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Iron Lung posted:

When will Chaffetz please go away? He's so awful.

Also thanks thread, I now know that George HW Bush puked on the Japanese Prime Minister and then fainted. Which is so amazing, I am absolutely beside myself with glee.

The first I learned about this incident was from Hot Shots Part Deux.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Kevyn posted:

Reminder that George Bush Sr. vomited on the Prime Minister of Japan and Dubya almost died eating a pretzel.

To be fair, food poisoning sucks really bad and the Prime Minister was more embarrassed that Bush Sr got sick from food served at the banquet than angry that Bush vomited on him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fox Ironic posted:

To be fair, food poisoning sucks really bad and the Prime Minister was more embarrassed that Bush Sr got sick from food served at the banquet than angry that Bush vomited on him.

Which is the most Japanese response imaginable.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Boon posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Where are the rest of the Texas numbers PPP? I got that polling itch, I need the juice

edit: loving tues or wed? gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Boon posted:

Unless it was a sneak attack, in which case that. :japan:

• Locked thread