Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Complaints coming in about Pulse Secure being slow. Well, perhaps forcing all of our remote staff to sign into our network wasn't a good idea, hmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RadicalR posted:

Complaints coming in about Pulse Secure being slow. Well, perhaps forcing all of our remote staff to sign into our network wasn't a good idea, hmm?

what...?

That's standard practice, your infra is just poo poo.

*edit* obviously it depends on WHAT they need to do once logged in, but 95% of the time, if people want to work, they need to VPN in.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 13, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not pissing me off: my personal computer stopped working during the week. No fans, no hard drive spinning up, nothing. I finally take a look at it today, minimum configuration, nothing. Swap in my old power supply, it starts working immediately.

My wife unplugged my computer a few days ago. I think that sudden loss of power fried the power supply, but not the rest of the computer. I bought the power supply earlier this year, so I can replace it on warranty, and I still have my old supply in the interim. I only replaced the old one because it was getting to be about 5 years old and I wanted to do it proactively.

Once I'm making the big bucks, I think I'm going to buy a new premade machine, maybe it will be more stable for a while. I'm the mechanic with a car that I just barely keep running, and keep a second car for when it craps out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Haven't really had any issues with my home machines the last few years, but I don't overclock to the sky any longer either, and both cooling and psu is overspecced...

Having seen some of the pre-built machines they sell here (from komplett.no and similar), they ain't getting my money to do a shittier job than I can do in an hour or so.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm kind of hoping that maybe I'm just the lovely one, and that a manufacturer machine that I can just pop my SSD and graphics card into will be more stable. I have had to replace a lot of parts, although I think part of that was having to work on carpet until I gave up and fixed my PC in the bathroom, and I also had forgotten that resetting the CMOS involved more than popping the battery.

It turns out that the old PSU doesn't push the power to work with my graphics card, but I really don't need it with the games I've been playing lately. The most graphically demanding game I've been playing is a source engine game. I'm not worried about the old PSU completely crapping out in the time it takes to RMA the blown PSU, my graphics card is pretty heavily overclocked from the factory. Or am I being overly optimistic?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MF_James posted:

what...?

*edit* obviously it depends on WHAT they need to do once logged in, but 95% of the time, if people want to work, they need to VPN in.

VPN to connect to webmail. Or to use a Citrix desktop for basic office productivity. These things piss me off. Figure out better ways to secure PII.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not pissing me off: my personal computer stopped working during the week. No fans, no hard drive spinning up, nothing. I finally take a look at it today, minimum configuration, nothing. Swap in my old power supply, it starts working immediately.

My wife unplugged my computer a few days ago. I think that sudden loss of power fried the power supply, but not the rest of the computer. I bought the power supply earlier this year, so I can replace it on warranty, and I still have my old supply in the interim. I only replaced the old one because it was getting to be about 5 years old and I wanted to do it proactively.

Once I'm making the big bucks, I think I'm going to buy a new premade machine, maybe it will be more stable for a while. I'm the mechanic with a car that I just barely keep running, and keep a second car for when it craps out.

So wait, she unplugged it while it was running? :stare: Even clueless fools know not to ever do that, good grief...

Speaking of power supplies, I'm going to continue steering clear of anything Thermaltake. Been running a TP2-850 for about 3 years, recently started having weird boot issues. Some days it'd boot normal, other days I'd have to hit reset or power off and back on to get it working. Also noticed other odd performance trouble like slow SSD speeds and choppy gameplay at random times. After going through everything with a fine tooth comb, I swapped the PSU with a new EVGA 700B unit and so far it's been flawless. Think I've got a year or 2 left to RMA so maybe I'll do that and keep the replacement as a backup, the last TT supply I bought was back in like 09 and it poo poo itself in less than 2 years, the RMA unit they sent lasted about 7 months. Ugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She's had laptops forever, you can unplug those whenever you want. I'm going to gently tell her not to do that in the future. Then again she also was sitting right next to the power outlet while painting, maybe she just got snagged on the cable.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I guess that's possible, still doesn't explain why she didn't say anything to you. Definitely worth explaining that desktops don't have batteries like laptops if she did unplug it intentionally, but didn't realize what would happen.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

MF_James posted:

what...?

Sorry, I assumed it was implied our infra was poo poo for the moment. Doesn't help a lot of these folks work off of a hotspot.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

RadicalR posted:

Sorry, I assumed it was implied our infra was poo poo for the moment. Doesn't help a lot of these folks work off of a hotspot.

I know a PM who works from "home", where home is a travel trailer. Having the default work environment be "everyone connects to something through RDP" then tuning that all up like they're on fiber really screws some people. :eng99:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

meanieface posted:

I know a PM who works from "home", where home is a travel trailer. Having the default work environment be "everyone connects to something through RDP" then tuning that all up like they're on fiber really screws some people. :eng99:
I guess they aren't able to work from home, then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

I guess they aren't able to work from home, then.

Seriously. If you want to work from home then put the required effort in to ensuring that working from home is an option for you.

We had a guy who would work from home and have trouble accessing certain things over VPN, would never manage to get their VoIP client working etc. gently caress you buddy, if you aren't contactable except via email then either figure that out or come into the office.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Seriously. If you want to work from home then put the required effort in to ensuring that working from home is an option for you.

We had a guy who would work from home and have trouble accessing certain things over VPN, would never manage to get their VoIP client working etc. gently caress you buddy, if you aren't contactable except via email then either figure that out or come into the office.

I had a rough couple of weeks where my Comcast got really unreliable to the point I could only sort of stay on a GoToMeeting, and would miss 10 seconds every few minutes.

I had to remove my WFH privileges until it got sorted out, but I will confess I kept trying for 3-4 days until I relented.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Not everyone who works from home chooses to do so. E.g. A few years ago a major health insurer in CT mandated that a third of its workforce work from home. They gave something like a month's notice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In that case I would expect the employer to sort out connectivity and equipment for their staff, then.

In the situation I think a lot of us are in where we can work from home whenever we feel like it, I think the responsibility is with the person wanting to work from home to not create extra work for the rest of the team by doing so.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

In that case I would expect the employer to sort out connectivity and equipment for their staff, then.

In the situation I think a lot of us are in where we can work from home whenever we feel like it, I think the responsibility is with the person wanting to work from home to not create extra work for the rest of the team by doing so.

I see you don't work in America. Don't get me wrong: I have far fewer complaints about American employment than many posters in D&D, but very few companies think in the idealistic terms you imply.

I agree with your second paragraph, of course.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I see you don't work in America. Don't get me wrong: I have far fewer complaints about American employment than many posters in D&D, but very few companies think in the idealistic terms you imply.

I agree with your second paragraph, of course.

I work in the US and for people who have no choice but to work from home, the company reimburses internet connectivity and any other equipment needed to have a home office, but they don't manage the connection. Anything in the home office they've purchased however (printers, phones, laptop/desktops) they fully support including getting them connected to the corporate VPN.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

management being cheap and badgering me about 'sharing' licenses

"We have to buy a license for each location? Can't they just share one?"

:emo:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

management being cheap and badgering me about 'sharing' licenses

"We have to buy a license for each location? Can't they just share one?"

:emo:

"Can't you just hack us a new router so we don't have to buy one?" :v:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress I'm dealing with this for the first time now, office is out of space so we're exploring home working.

My guinea pig at the moment was the perfect candidate since he always works at home on a company laptop, the other week I sent over a package of a Monitor/Thin Client/IP Phone/KB&M all pre-set up.

Friday and today the details finally come out; he lives in a shoebox where his desk doesn't have enough space for a phone, let alone a thin client station. Ok fine maybe we can just get by using his personal with RDP and just keep the IP Phone, oh wait his PC only has wireless connectivity and he doesn't have any power sockets for powerline adapters.

Dammit what a waste of time, the last option is to use RDP and some kind of soft phone. However we haven't deployed any kind of softphone functionality plus we're changing VOIP hosts/product soon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

gently caress I'm dealing with this for the first time now, office is out of space so we're exploring home working.

My guinea pig at the moment was the perfect candidate since he always works at home on a company laptop, the other week I sent over a package of a Monitor/Thin Client/IP Phone/KB&M all pre-set up.

Friday and today the details finally come out; he lives in a shoebox where his desk doesn't have enough space for a phone, let alone a thin client station. Ok fine maybe we can just get by using his personal with RDP and just keep the IP Phone, oh wait his PC only has wireless connectivity and he doesn't have any power sockets for powerline adapters.

Dammit what a waste of time, the last option is to use RDP and some kind of soft phone. However we haven't deployed any kind of softphone functionality plus we're changing VOIP hosts/product soon.

What about forwarding his extension to his cellphone? When I'm on call that's what I do. No one needs to know my personal cellphone and they can still get in touch in an emergency. I mean a few people have my cellphone if stuff really breaks so much that even phones aren't working but then an IP Phone wouldn't have helped anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since we got on the Skype for Business PSTN trial my VPN VoIP phone is back in a cupboard and my home working is forwarding my extension to the Skype client and using a USB headset. Much nicer than having to dust a VPN phone constantly and deal with dropped connections.

Try and avoid stuff that isn't easy to manage remotely if you're giving stuff to home workers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like when either the phone company or cable company call and try to sell us their fiber package.

WE ALREADY HAVE IT YOU DUMB FUCKS CANT YOU GUYS CROSS REFERENCE YOUR COLD CALL LIST?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

Anything in the home office they've purchased however (printers, phones, laptop/desktops) they fully support including getting them connected to the corporate VPN.

gently caress that so hard. Printers are bad enough when standardized.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

gently caress that so hard. Printers are bad enough when standardized.

Plug my printer in? It's wireless, it's in my daughters room.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Friday we had a meeting first thing in the morning. Nobody would say what it was for but everyone had to be there. After a few moments, we were told that somebody in the company took their own life. I didn't really know them, but I walked past their office every day and they'd always say good morning to me.

I just got the latest copy of the office phone extension list. Sure enough, their name is gone.

I've had enough of 2016. :smith:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pixaal posted:

What about forwarding his extension to his cellphone? When I'm on call that's what I do. No one needs to know my personal cellphone and they can still get in touch in an emergency. I mean a few people have my cellphone if stuff really breaks so much that even phones aren't working but then an IP Phone wouldn't have helped anyway.

That's probably the last chance saloon, I'll probably link up his mobile as an agent and send over a 3.5mm headset to use, bonus points if I can get calls over WiFi instead of cell signal.

Also we're finally going ahead with re-purposing a server;
- Software moved off: Check
- Databases moved off: Check
- Domain level raised: Pending
- Licence key ready: Chec- wait a second... this isn't an open licence, uh-oh.

It's taken a whole year to get to the point, and only realise now the extra Server 2012r2 licence we got can only be used with Dell, can't wait to tell people tomorrow about our ASUS box :q:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

OEM licensing is such a shitshow

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Office 2 hours away calls our office withe the full phone number. Area code + 7 digits. Instead of dialing our extensions. Then it would go over the VPN/phone system. So of course it gets dialed as a long distance call.

AS AN ADDED BONUS THEY FAX poo poo TO OUR FAX MACHINES. Instead of either scanning to the file server, or scanning to email. DIT DURR DURR

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

Friday we had a meeting first thing in the morning. Nobody would say what it was for but everyone had to be there. After a few moments, we were told that somebody in the company took their own life. I didn't really know them, but I walked past their office every day and they'd always say good morning to me.

I just got the latest copy of the office phone extension list. Sure enough, their name is gone.

I've had enough of 2016. :smith:

That sucks man, sorry to hear it.
We had a similar situation a few years ago - my boss at the time was in a head on collision, killed instantly. The VP called everyone in to a meeting and broke down while telling us. They were good friends, ran the company WoW guild together. It was a lovely few weeks. I didn't much like the guy but going out at 34 is lovely regardless.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The company WoW guild?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

The company WoW guild?

Ah, all the thrill of a skinner box with the added adrenaline of knowing that missing raids hurts you professionally.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Antioch posted:

That sucks man, sorry to hear it.
We had a similar situation a few years ago - my boss at the time was in a head on collision, killed instantly. The VP called everyone in to a meeting and broke down while telling us. They were good friends, ran the company WoW guild together. It was a lovely few weeks. I didn't much like the guy but going out at 34 is lovely regardless.

The ... I don't even know what word it is. Dissonance? After the sales manager announced what happened, there was an immediate transition into "by the way the demonstration of that new feature yesterday went really well!" with a lot of happy giggling and praise and similar sort of positive thoughts. That whole meeting was just surreal. Everything about it was unexpected; when she said we'd lost a member of the team, I think we all expected it to be someone else that left a few months ago due to medical reasons.

Today I got in and one of the older support people told me that their friend passed away yesterday, too. Their friend looked really unwell and his wife apparently just was refusing to call a hospital or do anything because it'd "make [husband] upset" ... by the time my coworker found out and called the hospital, it was too late to make a difference. :smith: I need a vacation.

On more typical thread bullshit levels, why does Windows 10 have two different settings areas for printers? And why do they just suddenly stop working until you remove them and re-add them? :sigh:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't think that's limited to windows 10 sadly.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

loving triggered

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

I prefer my printers to be hand delivered by gentle sirs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

baquerd posted:

Ah, all the thrill of a skinner box with the added adrenaline of knowing that missing raids hurts you professionally.

"You joined the raid and pulled a Leroy Jenkins, killing the entire group. Performance review: Did not meet expectations, 30 day probationary period recommended"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I prefer my printers to be hand delivered by gentle sirs.

Hauled authentically by hand, through the courtyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

I like when either the phone company or cable company call and try to sell us their fiber package.

WE ALREADY HAVE IT YOU DUMB FUCKS CANT YOU GUYS CROSS REFERENCE YOUR COLD CALL LIST?

"Our package currently costs X amount. Can you make a better deal?"