Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

You coulda been him if you took your aye see casting lesson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't know why y'all are trying so hard to theory-craft how to nerf SD when the simple solution is to unbuff the duration of his illusions, which makes their ability to push less obnoxious. SD was already an insanely strong hero for like the last 2-3 years, and even more so after he got an aghs upgrade. It just took a TI of what seems abusive play for anyone to notice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Question about Dota2, conceptually what is better? Nerfing an ability or buffing counters?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I don't know why y'all are trying so hard to theory-craft how to nerf SD when the simple solution is to unbuff the duration of his illusions, which makes their ability to push less obnoxious. SD was already an insanely strong hero for like the last 2-3 years, and even more so after he got an aghs upgrade. It just took a TI of what seems abusive play for anyone to notice.
pre:
Increased Disruption illusion duration from 6/8/10/12 to 8/10/12/14.
Increased Disruption illusion damage dealt from 30%/40%/50%/60% to 30%/45%/60%/75%.
Reduced Soul Catcher cooldown from 13 on each level to 13/12/11/10.
Increased Disruption illusion duration from 5/6/7/8 to 6/8/10/12.
SD got some massive buffs leading up to TI, that's for sure.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Question about Dota2, conceptually what is better? Nerfing an ability or buffing counters?

I mean, they're just different approaches. Buffing counters can have other repercussions and would generally discourage other similar abilities/heroes that might not be considered in need of such discouragement. But if the general style/approach (ie, throw illusions at towers relentlessly without having to commit) is something that needs to be discouraged that's okay. Nerfing a single ability constrains it to just that one ability, but it wouldn't address a larger problem if one existed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It depends entirely on the situation.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Wow, I just checked his pub winrate and all those changes moved him from absolute garbage tier to just bad.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SD is hard to play in solo queue pubs. Or at least harder than like Lion or CM or some other 5 position

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Goetta posted:

SD is hard to play in solo queue pubs. Or at least harder than like Lion or CM or some other 5 position

Not really, his skill set can solo kill any hero in the game, especially if they're not used to going up against SD.

If you're lazy, just max level poison and spam it, it's so easy.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 15, 2016

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Not really, his skill set can solo kill any hero in the game, especially if they're not used to going up against SD.

If you're lazy, just max level poison and spam it, it's so easy.

Pssst it isn't that easy

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

most hard 5 supports in pubs trend upwards in winrate the higher mmr goes. SD has 45%~ in the < 2k while in 5k+ he reaches 51% with his winrate increasing a few % per mmr bracket. hes as good as the skill level of his team like most supports that don't passively win the game by existing like CM or Warlock.

e. actually "most" isn't really correct since heroes like maiden trend downward, its more about how much playmaking/strategy has to be employed to be useful

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
SD isn't that hard to play in solo pubs, but that's a really misunderstood hero. I'd honestly say maxing shadow poison is the worst possible SD build unless you're planning to jungle. You're never going to have enough mana as a non-core in the first 20 minutes to even use that spell effectively on enemy heroes or lanes. Disruption got way over-buffed until the hero was able to replicate TI3 Phanton Lancer better than PL himself could. Soul Catcher's CD reduction is peanuts, but that spell is and was always insanely good, especially after damage types got reworked and simplified. You're looking at a hero that could make you take 50% increased pure damage from all damage sources at lvl 6.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They usually aim for a third option, nerfing something unrelated, so a hero's strong point remains strong, but they become more difficult to play. One example would be Naga Siren post-TI2, when instead of nerfing Song which everyone bitched about, they nerfed her base damage by 12. Or how Dark Seer's Vacuum cooldown has almost double in the last 4 years.

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

SD isn't that hard to play in solo pubs, but that's a really misunderstood hero. I'd honestly say maxing shadow poison is the worst possible SD build unless you're planning to jungle. You're never going to have enough mana as a non-core in the first 20 minutes to even use that spell effectively on enemy heroes or lanes. Disruption got way over-buffed until the hero was able to replicate TI3 Phanton Lancer better than PL himself could. Soul Catcher's CD reduction is peanuts, but that spell is and was always insanely good, especially after damage types got reworked and simplified. You're looking at a hero that could make you take 50% increased pure damage from all damage sources at lvl 6.

it costs 40 mana & at five stacks does 1000+ damage at level 7. you definitely want to max it & everyone does.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just buffing other things ends up with power creeping up in the whole game. Sometimes ya gotta straight nerf stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gangnam reference posted:

You coulda been him if you took your aye see casting lesson

lmao i forgot about ld hounding me about setting a time for the lesson in irc.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
American pro Brood War player from the Stone Age who parlayed that into a long-running web series trying to teach newbies how to play SC2 (and then stopped that to concentrate on his own RTS game which no one cares about). Kind of obnoxious as a caster because he never leaves the "helping new players" mode, although his brother Tasteless is half of the best SC2 casting partnership. Basically Purge but was actually good at his respective game at some point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that is like 90 percent wrong.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

he's the guy that hosted this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlS1GsEeqVg

skip to 31:00 or so

He's actually not a bad host, especially compared to most enthusiast-turned-personalities.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Basically Purge but was actually good at his respective game at some point.

delete your lies and apologize

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Purge is better than everyone in this thread. Not just at dota 2 but also at life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was gonna agree with the post before but you seem to have be mistaken. comparing day9 to purge was the insult because day9 is cool and nice and exciting and a great zerg player.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

a great zerg player.

triggered

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqYxpxegrk

purge couldn't hope to do something half as good as this.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is like 90 percent wrong.
What's the 10%

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
fear foreshadowing retirement i guess
https://twitter.com/FearDotA/status/765297632377831424

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Incoherence posted:

What's the 10%

he played brood war.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Of the two options, nerfing is better, but needs some finesse.

If you buff the counters, you're just going to enforce the idea that one team must pick the OP first strat and the other team will be forced to pick into the counter OP strat. It also leads to long rear end games where no one wants to take a risk because one mistake by the counterpicks means the originally OP pick gets a huge momentum boost. Plus, everyone wants to feel like they're having an impact in the game and it really sucks when your entire team is built around one hero being too buffed.

If you nerf an OP hero back to where they should be for their role(s), you'll have a larger pool of viable heroes and people won't rush into the same strats all the time.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I'd buy a Kaci voicepack before having to hear Slacks in game.

*I do not play regularly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Evil Badman posted:

I'd buy a Kaci voicepack before having to hear Slacks in game.

*I do not play regularly.

Don't worry, she doesn't either.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Voicepacks usually take cool and good voices and overplay to death in your dota games until they become kind of annoying, but can be tuned out (NBA jams voicepack is the only exception to becoming annoying).

A slacks voicepack would embark on new ground, taking an annoying and bad voice and overplaying it until players seek the violent death of the autistic man in question.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

good god dota players are middle school level drama babies on social media

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Zurreco posted:

Somebody on reddit is requesting a Slacks announcer pack and the vast majority of the thread is coming out saying how much they hate Slacks and his voice. Is this the first time that Valve sees that Slacks is only liked by a vocal minority?

I was going to write a sarcastic joke about this post but I couldn't decide on which part to make fun of, so I'm just going to say this and move on: rofl

Incoherence posted:

American pro Brood War player from the Stone Age who

please don't make me feel old

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Voicepacks usually take cool and good voices and overplay to death in your dota games until they become kind of annoying, but can be tuned out (NBA jams voicepack is the only exception to becoming annoying).

The Bastion announcer is fantastic and never gets annoying, plus it's got voicelines for everything. It's been my default announcer for like 3 years and I've only taken it off to try out a new voicepack (before switching back after 2-3 games).

Also I thought the NBA jam announcer was dead? Is there a way to get it back that doesn't involve downloading the workshop tools?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IncendiaC posted:

The Bastion announcer is fantastic and never gets annoying, plus it's got voicelines for everything. It's been my default announcer for like 3 years and I've only taken it off to try out a new voicepack (before switching back after 2-3 games).

Also I thought the NBA jam announcer was dead? Is there a way to get it back that doesn't involve downloading the workshop tools?

There's someway using a workaround using an anime girl announcer pack.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
His post got archived but here's the link to the .rar with the readme
https://mega.nz/#!6p4QiBrL!B7G16SEAqX2zXLM8LE_iNX57-OLr-cuKgvS4vksyoM4

edit: this does require the workshop tools, btw

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 16, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The nba jams announcer thing is loving retarded and I hate you all

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Peanut President posted:

There's someway using a workaround using an anime girl announcer pack.

This sounds like a trick

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

drunken officeparty posted:

The nba jams announcer thing is loving retarded and I hate you all

This is validation for the NBA Jams announcer being good, FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drunken officeparty posted: