Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
now you can make a thread where despite 'ironically' reading something you spend thousands of hours analysing and discussing it, in no way indicating mental illness, and maybe you can buy an xbox one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neurosis posted:

now you can make a thread where despite 'ironically' reading something you spend thousands of hours analysing and discussing it, in no way indicating mental illness, and maybe you can buy an xbox one as well.

What does that mean?

Anyway, I'm done. This is as far as I made it:

quote:

Alan nodded, and then Rick continued, “The new nation will be much more than just a tax haven. It would be a proper Christian Libertarian Republic with a truly minimalist government bound to miniscule size by a firmly-worded Constitution that will make it exceedingly difficult to grow -- I’m talking lower-case ‘g’ government. The only legitimate functions of a minarchist government are the protection of Citizens, both born and not yet born, from initiated aggression, where the key forms of aggression in the civil context are theft, coercion, fraud, and breach of contract. Most of the necessities like roads and public utilities would be handled by subscription and paid for by landowners. There would be direct democracy with referendums via the Net, but the Constitution would have inherently strong chains on the government, making it very difficult to ever add to the size and authority of the government. As I envision it, it will take a simple majority of 51% of votes to decrease the size of government, but an 81% majority to expand the government or to in any other way further limit personal liberty, and a 91% majority to alter the core passages of the Constitution.”

Alan gave a thin smile and said, “Clever.”

Meital resumed. “There would be a compulsory militia service -- sort of like the Israeli Defense Force, but the militia would also serve as border patrol guards. The only other visible government would be a patent office and a foreign affairs office. Otherwise, there is really no need for any government in a nation comprised of all Christians. They’d be entirely self-policing.”

Alan Pilcher laughed and asked, “What about prisons?”

Rick answered, “There’d be none. No prisons. I think that if he were still alive, this would get Michel Foucault’s seal of approval. Granted, there would have to be voluntarily staffed private Christian courts to settle disputes, and perhaps some monetary recompense for a few serious crimes. But informal shunning would be the main penalty for people who infringe on the rights of others, or who offend Christian sensibilities. Prisons are cruel institutions, and let’s face it: A small country on a shoestring budget simply can’t afford to operate prisons. Beyond shunning, there would only be two penalties: permanent exile or death. And those would be reserved for only the most heinous crimes like rape, murder, or arson that causes loss of life. The goal is having just a tiny government, and only when and where it is absolutely needed. There would be zero taxes, zero import duties, and zero license fees. In fact, there wouldn’t be licenses for most anything at all. Activities like driving cars or flying airplanes would be handled by private associations that would oversee training of novices. But ultimately each individual would be responsible for their own actions, in every aspect of their lives.”

I broke on page four. I've already returned it to get it out of my Kindle Library.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:barf:

No keep reading. Is there actually a plot or is it all just masturbatory ramblings?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

:barf:

No keep reading. Is there actually a plot or is it all just masturbatory ramblings?

I'll boil down the first 4 pages.

The "prologue" is a closet-Christian Arab woman waiting with her two daughters (aged 14 and 16) to be picked up by the Caliphate morality police. Because "Christian" or some such. She can't hide because of some sort of mandatory app pre-installed by the world-wide Caliphate on all phones tracks her or something? We're left wondering what happens as we move on to chapter one. The protagonists are in Scotland somewhere meeting clandestinely because they have had enough and are planning to create a new country founded on Christian and libertarian values somewhere (Africa, I guess?).

They also have an Israeli woman as part of their cabal that is described as a Sabra more than once (yes, I know what it means, but it was weird). Not sure why she's throwing in with them, it may or may not be explained later.

Seriously, if you want to know more, it's on Amazon as a Kindle Unlimited Book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

What does that mean?

Weirdos on here form little microcosm communities and identities based around how much they hate something but spending hundreds of hours and dollars on the object of their declared ridicule. E.g. the Xbox One thread where several posters ended up buying Xboxes avowedly to see how bad it is. See also Star Citizen and maybe that Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality thread in here.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

flosofl posted:

What does that mean?

Anyway, I'm done. This is as far as I made it:

I broke on page four. I've already returned it to get it out of my Kindle Library.

I love the Foucault namedrop, but I think this guy missed the point of Discipline and Punish.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Weirdos on here form little microcosm communities and identities based around how much they hate something but spending hundreds of hours and dollars on the object of their declared ridicule. E.g. the Xbox One thread where several posters ended up buying Xboxes avowedly to see how bad it is. See also Star Citizen and maybe that Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality thread in here.

Ah, got it.

Yeah, no danger in that. There is no way I want to read more than I have, and I sincerely regret reading what I did. Fortunately, he shouldn't get any revenue since I didn't finish the book.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

flosofl posted:

Ah, got it.

Yeah, no danger in that. There is no way I want to read more than I have, and I sincerely regret reading what I did. Fortunately, he shouldn't get any revenue since I didn't finish the book.

Fastest gave a thin smile and said, "Clever."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Isn't Sabra a popular hummus brand?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Isn't Sabra a popular hummus brand?

It originally meant someone born in Isreal. (other than it being an actual species of desert cactus)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

flosofl posted:

It originally meant someone born in Isreal. (other than it being an actual species of desert cactus)
Still does according to Wikipedia, and comes from allusion to the cactus. Much like the prickly pear, Israeli Jews have a tough outside but a sweet and tender inside.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Whoever recommended Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence, holy poo poo these books are pure gold.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bozart posted:

Whoever recommended Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence, holy poo poo these books are pure gold.
Do they get better after the first one? Because I thought Three Parts Dead was mediocre. Conceptually alright, paced well enough, but with an insipid setup, a poor resolution, and almost no actual legal work in a book ostensibly about wizard lawyers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC, the second one is considered the best of the bunch so maybe give that a shot?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If he didn't like the first one, I wouldn't bother with the others.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I already finished Obsidian Gate. I didn't like it is much as The Fifth Season, but it definitely fleshes out the world more.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Paramount just released the full trailer for the Ted Chiang movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nakar posted:

Do they get better after the first one? Because I thought Three Parts Dead was mediocre. Conceptually alright, paced well enough, but with an insipid setup, a poor resolution, and almost no actual legal work in a book ostensibly about wizard lawyers.

Generally, I don't find them to focus that much on the law. Like it's there, and the "soulstuff as a currency" is present in all of them, but many look at the way corporations, banks, and other entities exist in that world, often with analogs to this one. I enjoyed them all, so far, and the 5th is on my reading list to do this week.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

Generally, I don't find them to focus that much on the law. Like it's there, and the "soulstuff as a currency" is present in all of them, but many look at the way corporations, banks, and other entities exist in that world, often with analogs to this one. I enjoyed them all, so far, and the 5th is on my reading list to do this week.

They are more about "Craft is capitalism/neoliberalism and Gods are statism" than law.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Neurosis posted:

Right, it's the people mocking things on Something Awful that are the weirdoes, and not the guy whining about them in unrelated threads.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Internet Wizard posted:

Right, it's the people mocking things on Something Awful that are the weirdoes, and not the guy whining about them in unrelated threads.

yeah.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Starting on Robin Hobb, and from the map in the front Cold River does not flow into Cold Bay, and for some reason this irritates me.

Also Ice Town is not on the Icy Shores.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I finished Chindi which is book 3 in The Academy series by Jack McDevitt. Overall a pretty solid book and a bit better than Deep Six but not as good as The Engines of God. My main gripe with the series as a whole is how predictable and repetitive it gets.

Literally every single time they go down to a planet or asteroid or whatever to investigate something it turns into a disaster which they barely manage to escape from. Like every single time. The books will kind of skim over parts like them travelling to a new system but then out of the blue it will start describing them transferring supplies between ships and you know since it's taking the time to describe it shits going to happen. Or like I said before every time they go down to a planet, Hutch will warn them they have to be careful, nobody will listen to her and think she's "too cautious" and then of course everything will go wrong. Other than that though it's been a pretty decent series and I'm probably going to read the 4th. Other posters earlier in the thread said it starts to go downhill from here though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, I agree.

You'd think after 30 or so years of that poo poo, they'd start equipping people with body armour at the very least.

But no, even after all the well documented horror stories people are still exploring entirely unknown biospheres in their shorts and university branded sweatshirts, and using entirely improvised weapons to defend themselves.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

I read a couple of the mock threads, but yeah there's lots of people that get a little too into it. (That's the way you get the Chris-chan mess).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

johnsonrod posted:

I finished Chindi which is book 3 in The Academy series by Jack McDevitt. Overall a pretty solid book and a bit better than Deep Six but not as good as The Engines of God. My main gripe with the series as a whole is how predictable and repetitive it gets.

Literally every single time they go down to a planet or asteroid or whatever to investigate something it turns into a disaster which they barely manage to escape from. Like every single time. The books will kind of skim over parts like them travelling to a new system but then out of the blue it will start describing them transferring supplies between ships and you know since it's taking the time to describe it shits going to happen. Or like I said before every time they go down to a planet, Hutch will warn them they have to be careful, nobody will listen to her and think she's "too cautious" and then of course everything will go wrong. Other than that though it's been a pretty decent series and I'm probably going to read the 4th. Other posters earlier in the thread said it starts to go downhill from here though.

I read a few books in the Academy series and mostly enjoyed them, but his treatment of female characters felt weird to me. Some of the male characters are obviously written as having pretty outdated views on women, the mega celebrity editor guy especially comes to mind. But even some of the narrative voice parts have a bit of a Heinlein feel to them when it comes to describing women's appearances and their thoughts and motivations. I couldn't quite tell if it's the author's views coming through or meant to be a part of the society he's built, but my guess would have been on the former. Didn't ruin the books for me but it was a little jarring in parts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Generally yes, actually

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Yes, I agree.

You'd think after 30 or so years of that poo poo, they'd start equipping people with body armour at the very least.

But no, even after all the well documented horror stories people are still exploring entirely unknown biospheres in their shorts and university branded sweatshirts, and using entirely improvised weapons to defend themselves.

Yeah, exactly.

There was a part in Chindi where they're getting ready to land on the angel world and one of the passengers asks why they don't have actual weapons instead of just the laser cutters. Hutch responds something along the lines of "well we've never met anyone yet and we've just never thought we had the need for them." Like seriously? At that point I think Hutch herself had been involved in 5 or 6 expeditions on planets where the local lifeforms attacked them and all they had were the laser cutters. I mean poo poo, just keep a couple of laser rifles or whatever the hell they use in their time on the ship just incase. And the university sweaters..... lol. That seems to be the only top anyone owns.

big scary monsters posted:

I read a few books in the Academy series and mostly enjoyed them, but his treatment of female characters felt weird to me. Some of the male characters are obviously written as having pretty outdated views on women, the mega celebrity editor guy especially comes to mind. But even some of the narrative voice parts have a bit of a Heinlein feel to them when it comes to describing women's appearances and their thoughts and motivations. I couldn't quite tell if it's the author's views coming through or meant to be a part of the society he's built, but my guess would have been on the former. Didn't ruin the books for me but it was a little jarring in parts.

Yeah, I got that vibe too. It was nowhere near as bad as say The Mote in God's eye but there was definitely some old fashioned views on women going on.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

less laughter posted:

Paramount just released the full trailer for the Ted Chiang movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

I am excited to see where they go with this. One of my favorite short story collections.

A friend wrote a book. I'm scared to read it. There's no way it's good but as long as I haven't read it it isn't bad yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7YSHPI/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 17, 2016

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

johnsonrod posted:

Sabotaged skimmers and rogue planets are other go-to McDevitt plot devices. He definitely likes to work with a set of plot elements.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nevvy Z posted:

A friend wrote a book. I'm scared to read it. There's no way it's good but as long as I haven't read it it isn't bad yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7YSHPI/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allow me to put your mind to rest. It's bad.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I clicked through and misread the first line of the description as "Why would the fey invite Jan to visit Arzy?" and thought this was some kind of elaborate D&D crossover fiction.

quote:

Fend'ryal pressed another line graph haphazardly drawn in crayon into Jan's hands. "The thing is, polls traditionally under-represent the working class, which will turn out in droves for Romney. It's math Jan! Math!"

e: also i'm going to start the obelisk gate soon but i feel like i should finish My Brilliant Friend first

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New StoryBundle, this time full of Weird West poo poo. I've only read Haxan, which I've loved, and heard of a couple more.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

johnsonrod posted:

Yeah, exactly.

There was a part in Chindi where they're getting ready to land on the angel world and one of the passengers asks why they don't have actual weapons instead of just the laser cutters. Hutch responds something along the lines of "well we've never met anyone yet and we've just never thought we had the need for them." Like seriously? At that point I think Hutch herself had been involved in 5 or 6 expeditions on planets where the local lifeforms attacked them and all they had were the laser cutters. I mean poo poo, just keep a couple of laser rifles or whatever the hell they use in their time on the ship just incase. And the university sweaters..... lol. That seems to be the only top anyone owns.

Yeah, I got that vibe too. It was nowhere near as bad as say The Mote in God's eye but there was definitely some old fashioned views on women going on.

McDevitt is ancient, he was born in 1935. I think that kind of explains his politics. He also dislikes Big Government a lot. (I'm not implying a lack of people from his generation with more progressive views.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

coyo7e posted:

Been reading Allen Steele's Coyote again, forgot how much I liked the series. The political stuff and stuff like "the Starship USS Jesse Helms" is hilarious to me, and it really isn't in your face past the initial opening of the first book.. And since there's a few dozen light years between earth and the planet Coyote, every time there's contact between the two planets, the government has completely flipped around again over the previous 100-200 years so you never know what to expect.

There are sequels to Coyote? :getin:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the space opera one, but a while back someone mentioned Helix by Eric Brown, and the premise alone got me to try it. There's a sequel book which isn't that bad but it also doesn't really feel all that necessary - the first book wraps itself up and ends in a good place IMO. The writing isn't stellar, but the guy thinks big, and I am a sucker for that old-school 'big SF' mindset (which is why I will never stop singing the praises of the Troy Rising series even if it is written by John Ringo).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think there's like six or seven books in the Coyote setting. I've only read #1 but I should read more. Reminded me of Brian Aldiss's works for some reason.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Antti posted:

I think there's like six or seven books in the Coyote setting. I've only read #1 but I should read more. Reminded me of Brian Aldiss's works for some reason.

I enjoyed the entire series and Steele has promised a new story in the near future.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So it looks like I accidentally bought Obelisk Gate twice, since I got a copy locally a week early and forgot to cancel my preorder for the ebook on Amazon. So I read it all already.

Without spoilers, it's... definitely a middle book. Solid as these things go and I pretty much couldn't put it down once I picked it up, but definitely a middle book. Conclusion will be very busy. Looking forward to it.

Fifth Season is just a tough act to follow, I think. I do very much enjoy the weird muddling of sf and f elements it's got going on; I feel like that was out of fashion for a while, so it's weirdly nostalgic for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Something I never thought I'd say: Luke Rhinehart has a new SF novel out in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Megazver posted:

New StoryBundle, this time full of Weird West poo poo. I've only read Haxan, which I've loved, and heard of a couple more.

Any other recommendations for this bundle? Are the bonus books in particular worth getting?