Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it doesn't matter how many chicks i hatch i'll never stop losing my drat mind when i check the incubator in the morning and find a peepy hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

i stole an egg at a poultry show and here's what came out

no idea what breed she is, the egg was tiny, maybe a bantam sussex? anyway she's cute and loud :allears:

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

That's a really good idea and I am going to steal this idea. I don't have an incubator or even laying chickens yet but I'm saving this idea. Thank you!

I notice that when my chicks take a nap outside the coop in the afternoon, one is standing guard. Is that a sign of being a potential rooster or is that just the head bitch in charge?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm worried about the crime baby, i had four other eggs that were meant to hatch at more or less the same time but they're not pipping yet :ohdear: will she be okay as a sole chick if they've died or whatever? is there anything i can do to make it easier on her? she has an ecoglow brooder and a tea towel to snuggle up to and she's quietened down and seems to be sleeping a lot. should i be handling her more than usual? put a quail in there?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
...so it turns out googling "raising a single chick" gets you mostly non-poultry-related results

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine what strange people turn up to watch Chickam aka !!!TINY WET CHICKS LIVE ON CAM!!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Imagine what strange people turn up to watch Chickam aka !!!TINY WET CHICKS LIVE ON CAM!!!
then most of them probably jerk off to it anyway

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Avshalom posted:

i'm worried about the crime baby, i had four other eggs that were meant to hatch at more or less the same time but they're not pipping yet :ohdear: will she be okay as a sole chick if they've died or whatever? is there anything i can do to make it easier on her? she has an ecoglow brooder and a tea towel to snuggle up to and she's quietened down and seems to be sleeping a lot. should i be handling her more than usual? put a quail in there?

Do you have other chickens already?

NVM I clicked the "?" under your name. You have, like, all the birds.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

MisterOblivious posted:

Do you have other chickens already?

NVM I clicked the "?" under your name. You have, like, all the birds.
it's a disease

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Avshalom posted:

it's a disease

Morehens disease, right? Do you have any hens that could surrogate/foster mother your single chick?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Avshalom posted:

i stole an egg at a poultry show and here's what came out

no idea what breed she is, the egg was tiny, maybe a bantam sussex? anyway she's cute and loud :allears:

Don't steal poo poo av

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
false alarm, a second peepy cheeper has arrived!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't steal poo poo av
:( but it's the perfect crime

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Pfft, clever enough to steal eggs but not enough to mark them so you knew what breed they were?

Btw stealing is bad, don't steal. But do give us more pictures of the bitty peepers.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Avs has ascended to a plane beyond the mortal and no longer needs to abide by such rules as "don't steal eggs from the show" and "don't post erotic Ariel fiction when drunk".

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Avs has ascended to a plane beyond the mortal and no longer needs to abide by such rules as "don't steal eggs from the show" and "don't post erotic Ariel fiction when drunk".

o_O I shouldn't ask, but ....where did the erotic Ariel fiction come from? (Also drunk, it's National Sister's Day, so I'm drinking in solidarity with my drunk sisters)

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I know it's controversial but I think stealing eggs is a great idea but erotic Ariel fiction is not. It's really only kinda stealing in the sense that catching Pokemon is stealing. Maybe.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

samizdat posted:

I know it's controversial but I think stealing eggs is a great idea but erotic Ariel fiction is not. It's really only kinda stealing in the sense that catching Pokemon is stealing. Maybe.

I'm assuming any eggs left in cages would have been binned otherwise?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
legit i feel so guilty about it that i won't be doing it again, also one of the two chicks* that hatched from purloined eggs is a sickly babe and requires my constant attention so as far as i'm concerned that's the good lord telling me it was the wrong thing to do

*not friederike, she's fine and bright and incredibly chatty

also i mostly only post erotic ariel fiction in forums/threads i have contempt for, i've always been a fan of pi and this thread in particular so you're all safe

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the second contraband chick died :( i spent three fruitless days trying to save him but in the end he just didn't thrive. i posthumously named him elvis and he's buried next to my peyote

friederike on the other hand is bright as a button and she is the loudest, sassiest chick

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Avshalom posted:

the second contraband chick died :( i spent three fruitless days trying to save him but in the end he just didn't thrive. i posthumously named him elvis and he's buried next to my peyote

friederike on the other hand is bright as a button and she is the loudest, sassiest chick

Sorry to hear, I lost 1 chick, 2 Guineas, and a quail in the past month. :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Avshalom posted:

You just know from that face, this one is going to be so much trouble :allears:

and to think Friederike would have never been born if you hadn't got to that discarded egg in time.

RIP Elvis.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

spookygonk posted:

You just know from that face, this one is going to be so much trouble :allears:
she already is, she struts around the place pecking my fingertips and shouting like she doesn't even know she's the size of a thimble

i look forward to being terrorised by this chicken for many years

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 11, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

my brother responds.

i didn't mention i was doing this beforehand because i realised it was a bad idea and i was fairly likely to end up with a dead chick but since freddy's sibling died she was screaming her little head off, so i put my most chilled-out japanese quail in the brooder box with her. miraculously, mellow yellow and freddy are getting along very well and she's quietened right down now she's got a friend. she follows mellow around and pecks at the spots on her feathers, it's so cute

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Both of our year old barred rocks passed within three weeks of each other under similar circumstances (plucky in the morning lethargic by evening dead by nightfall) leaving our Easter Egger as the only survivor.

Our first to pass, Elma, was sent off for a necropsy and the lab found she had an enlarged liver and the cultures of her liver and spleen grew staphylococcus. They didn't think she would be contagious and told is not to worry about the other two. Still, I ended up cleaning the hell out of their coop with beach and water and added fresh shavings after the coop had dried out.

However now that our other girl has passed we are freaking the gently caress out and really aren't sure what to do. Our girls were all allowed to free range our yard during the day and returned to their tractor at night, ate a mixed diet of kitchen scraps, layer pellets and were allowed to eat veggies from my local organic market (they box up their cast off greens for folks to compost).

Is it possible that both barred rocks had a congenital disorder? Am I a bad chicken dad? Should I worry about my remaining girl? Should I consider getting another adult hen? How about replacement chicks? I'm really worried for now our last girl and super disheartened about the passing of Elma and Repecka.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:( i can't help you but just wanted to offer condolences, rocks are gorgeous and your girls look super healthy in that photo so i'm sure you took great care of them

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I don't know the details, and I'm just spitballing, but this

Miso Beno posted:

(they box up their cast off greens for folks to compost).

raised a red flag. Not everything that's fine for compost is also good as feed. Anything moldy. Cutoffs of non-food plants. Maybe you already have an eye on this though. Otherwise I have no idea -- condolences all the same.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
We always inspected the food we gave them.for mold. Usually what we got was wilted (except the cabbage, they throw away fantastic looking cabbage) but not alone and whatever started to turn we would feed to the compost pile.

I asked my mother to come by and check on the girls since it was in the mid 90s yesterday and it looks like she left them a ton of snack crackers. Is it possible that heat + high sodium crackers gave her heat stroke?

edit: against my better judgement, I picked up three chicks, a barred rock, rhode island red, and golden buff. Hopefully the weather and Robin's sanity will hold through October and I can start chicken introductions.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 15, 2016

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Tractor Supply posted to their facebook about a heritage breed giveaway they're doing, and I thought of all of you that I live vicariously through. They're giving away a coop, a starter flock of Silver Spangled Hamburg chickens (doesn't say how many), some books, and a $500 gift cert to Tractor Supply.

This is the Facebook post with giant chicken face, but this is the direct link if you don't use it. Ends September 5.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Here is what a Silver Spangled Hamburg chicken looks like.

Everyone needs to sign up for this! :dance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
So I have a bit of a dilemma. I do not have chickens, but some folks across the street do. Every morning for the last five days, said chickens have escaped, crossed the street, shat all over the sidewalk, and riled up all the neighborhood dogs, mine included. This is a FANTASTIC way to wake up before seven in the morning when I'm already having trouble sleeping due to being super pregnant.

Multiple people have talked to the chicken owners about this issue, including someone who literally saw the chickens escape and told them where in the fence they escaped through. The only attempt they seemed to make was to stand some cardboard over that place three days ago, and that has apparently not accomplished anything.

Am I a horrible bitch if I call animal control about this? Because I am getting really sick of this situation, and I'm not sure what else to do about it.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I'm ... super pregnant.
Am I a horrible bitch

Likely. I'd talk to the people again and perhaps offer assistance if I was in that situation.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I do not have chickens, but some folks across the street do. Every morning for the last five days, said chickens have escaped, crossed the street, shat all over the sidewalk, and riled up all the neighborhood dogs, mine included. This is a FANTASTIC way to wake up before seven in the morning when I'm already having trouble sleeping due to being super pregnant.

Multiple people have talked to the chicken owners about this issue, including someone who literally saw the chickens escape and told them where in the fence they escaped through. The only attempt they seemed to make was to stand some cardboard over that place three days ago, and that has apparently not accomplished anything.

Am I a horrible bitch if I call animal control about this? Because I am getting really sick of this situation, and I'm not sure what else to do about it.

Talk to the neighbors once, if nothing changes in a few days, then call animal control. Sorry, as much as i like chickens, letting them annoy the neighbors is not ok. Besides, not preventing the chickens from escaping doesn't protect them any more than calling animal control, and the odds are the neighbors will get warnings first to fix the problem before taking the chickens away.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Is it normal if a chicken jumps up on something higher and then another chicken will hop up underneath and pull on a feather? Whenever I visit the coop/run, one chicken will always try to get closer to me and another will be an rear end in a top hat to it. It seems to be a thing they all do to each other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When my chicken got out for a couple nights, it laid a big pile of eggs in a neighbor's yard. They called 311 who sent out a police officer to talk to everyone. I told her my solution to the problem, she told the neighbor what was up, and animal control never came. So, it ended up working out, if the neighbors are just being lazy about patching up their containment it's a good kick in the pants.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
SO how long can chicks survive in the mail?

I had some shipped overnight yesterday from My Pet Chicken and they have sat in the Cleveland hub of the post office for over 24 hours, now. Earliest they will possibly arrive at this point is tomorrow. Can day old chicks last 2 or 3 days in the mail?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If it's happening repeatedly and bothering the whole neighborhood it seems reasonable to call animal control.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Brawnfire posted:

When my chicken got out for a couple nights, it laid a big pile of eggs in a neighbor's yard.
dammit why does that never happen to me

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

GORDON posted:

SO how long can chicks survive in the mail?

I had some shipped overnight yesterday from My Pet Chicken and they have sat in the Cleveland hub of the post office for over 24 hours, now. Earliest they will possibly arrive at this point is tomorrow. Can day old chicks last 2 or 3 days in the mail?

This happened to us. We had an order of 24 through MPC, and it took them a couple days to get to us (shipped on monday, arrived on wednesday) and one of them didn't make it. We did our best to get the rest comfortable in their new breeder ASAP, but soon after we lost a couple more. That said, the ones we lost later, it was difficult to say if it was a result of the long time in transit or if they were just "failure to thrive." We successfully nursed one out of wry neck which left us feeling great, though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i mean sometimes i lay a pile of eggs in my own yard but it's just not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The only thing that offends me here is that apparently they riled up the dogs, but were they deliberately provoking the dogs? Or were they more just wandering around, the dogs saw them, and they got excited? After having lived with chickens for about four months now and therefore qualify as an OLD HAND I have to admit that these folks seem perhaps a bit thin skinned.