RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lightning Jim posted:

Always double check your emails before you send them, especially with autocorrect/Swype word selection

So on one of my tickets - where we had a account manager engaged on - this email got sent

Customer's response didn't even reference that so it didn't obviously offend the customer but...how the hell do you do that by mistake?

I once sent out an email letting the company know we had successfully replaced a hard dick. The ops coordinator saw it and started laughing, but no one in the email chain seemed to notice.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

RFC2324 posted:

I once sent out an email letting the company know we had successfully replaced a hard dick. The ops coordinator saw it and started laughing, but no one in the email chain seemed to notice.

Gotta stay on top of those hard dick replacements. They just keep coming and coming!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

slartibartfast posted:

Gotta stay on top of those hard dick replacements. They just keep coming and coming!

Hard dick replacement needed due to bad head. :downsrim:

Arsten posted:

I agree with your sentiment about MDM, but you are getting into flights of fancy thinking that people who do this have any grasp on technology.

They bought the iPads in partnership with Best Buy, which gave some sort of discount because they bought like 750 all at once. This came from consumer plebeian shelf stock. And, while I am not intimate with K-12 districts, I've seen this happen a handful of times and it's always the same story: Businessman X wants publicity for "giving back to the community" so he takes a week of his time to arrange the purchase/donation/whatever to a school and then you never see him again after the 15 news stories run saying what an awesome person he is.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat. The schools are in a terrible position. If they accept them, they have the technology deficit of operating them. If they decline them, the papers pontificate about how the schools needs money but they are rich enough to turn away donations while Businessman X cries crocodile tears in the headlining photo.

Oh I get it, but man that would suck rear end to handle manually. I think Best Buy is an authorized reseller for Apple devices so if the wealthy business owner did it correctly it might be possible to get them with DEP still even like that (I'm an optimist, so hopefully the owner didn't visit a hundred Best Buys and take all their shelf stock to get 750 iPads before talking to the school), but you definitely need to know about DEP and MDM or have enough tech knowledge to go looking for the relevant info to know the configurator isn't what you want to manage that many devices with. Hell I only know about it because I was responsible for setting up an MDM solution and buying Apple devices, so I got a first hand look at the whole thing.

I'm kinda curious if Apple could apply DEP to the devices after the fact for a fee; I assume they'd say no up front because they want you to buy directly from them or through an authorized reseller using a pre-determined set of serial codes, but I imagine it's technically possible.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 14, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

From memory you can get devices enrolled into DEP back as far as March 2011, but they need to have been purchased from an authorised Apple reseller that keeps track of the serials of purchased devices, knows DEP exists, and can be bothered to help you.

We've had more luck with our Apple reseller than with our Apple Business account as far as DEP goes - Apple have given us 3 different account numbers, all of which have been rejected for DEP status. Everything from our reseller worked first time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:byodame: Printer says it's low on magma!
:what: Uh... oh. It probably says magenta. The red color.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think we can all agree that every printer needs a refilling of magma.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh I get it, but man that would suck rear end to handle manually. I think Best Buy is an authorized reseller for Apple devices so if the wealthy business owner did it correctly it might be possible to get them with DEP still even like that (I'm an optimist, so hopefully the owner didn't visit a hundred Best Buys and take all their shelf stock to get 750 iPads before talking to the school), but you definitely need to know about DEP and MDM or have enough tech knowledge to go looking for the relevant info to know the configurator isn't what you want to manage that many devices with. Hell I only know about it because I was responsible for setting up an MDM solution and buying Apple devices, so I got a first hand look at the whole thing.
The guy talked to someone in the regional Best Buy management structure and got a discount arranged. Then he talked to someone in the district and arranged to have them delivered.

The school was dutifully informed six weeks after they had a truck show up and unload 750 iPad Minis, which they had no place to store. So, they went into a teachers' classroom, stacked neatly against the wall with floor to ceiling windows. Not in boxes, just iPad retail boxes stacked up. I've never been convinced that a few didn't disappear, but I'm jaded and cynical.

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm kinda curious if Apple could apply DEP to the devices after the fact for a fee; I assume they'd say no up front because they want you to buy directly from them or through an authorized reseller using a pre-determined set of serial codes, but I imagine it's technically possible.

I think it is possible if you can prove ownership.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nielsm posted:

:byodame: Printer says it's low on magma!
:what: Uh... oh. It probably says magenta. The red color.

Last time we buy from a Dwarven company.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A ticket came in: Can you reset my password please.

Problem is user is on nights, helpdesk are open 9-5 or whatever.

Helpdesk don't email passwords to my users so we reach an impasse.

Helpdesk refer me to InfoSec guy to agree policy change and InfoSec misunderstood the situation

Meanwhile Helpdesk offer to call night user which was good but this will happen again so we do need to look at the process in my opinion.

I clarify with InfoSec guy and explain why we need to resolve this - he agreed that it wasn't a good thing that Helpdesk have to call my user out of hours, so can't my user call helpdesk during daytime hours?
Or, I assume he was calling my bluff at this point because he suggested I should put forward a proposal for a change to the InfoSec policy that will be heard by the regional CIO.

As it happens, I do a lot of InfoSec stuff and know the regional CIO well enough to have no qualms about putting forward a workable and appropriate change, so I let him know what my suggestion would look like and curiously I haven't had a reply despite all the other replies coming back in minutes.

What a wonder.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Last time we buy from a Dwarven company.

This printer is decorated in beige plastic and encircled with electronic buttons. This printer menaces with scratches and dents from nearby users.

On the item is an image of larchesdanrew in laminated plastic. larches is holding a cellphone, laughing maniacally. On his phone is printed the words "This is none of your concern". This artwork depicts the growing of larchesdanrew's spine and his subsequent quitting of his previous job in the autumn of 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Migishu posted:

This printer is decorated in beige plastic and encircled with electronic buttons. This printer menaces with scratches and dents from nearby users.

On the item is an image of larchesdanrew in laminated plastic. larches is holding a cellphone, laughing maniacally. On his phone is printed the words "This is none of your concern". This artwork depicts the growing of larchesdanrew's spine and his subsequent quitting of his previous job in the autumn of 2015

How do we make this the thread title.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I updated my work machine to RS1 over the weekend and it loving uninstalled RSAT. They also updated our ticketing system over the weekend which seems to have fixed none of anyone's issues or complaints with it, but several common tasks now take 2-3 more steps to complete for absolutely no loving reason.

I feel like George Clooney shouting at the ocean Monday asking if that's the best she can do

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Migishu posted:

This printer is decorated in beige plastic and encircled with electronic buttons. This printer menaces with scratches and dents from nearby users.

On the item is an image of larchesdanrew in laminated plastic. larches is holding a cellphone, laughing maniacally. On his phone is printed the words "This is none of your concern". This artwork depicts the growing of larchesdanrew's spine and his subsequent quitting of his previous job in the autumn of 2015

Man, I'd emptyquote the poo poo out of this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A DF mod where everything becomes IT related would be amazing and also terrifying:

    Rivers of printer ink that only exists below the -20th Z level and spawns printer salesmen and toner supply scam mailings.
    Have to buy all of your printer ink prior to reaching the -20th Z level from traveling caravans, and also ink is predictably the most expensive resource in the game yet without it your dwarves citizens can't work.
    As nobles move in, they start to demand personal printers, Macbook Pros, iPhones, and huge displays. Also you have to support all this poo poo.
    Most nobles still have no actual in-game purpose other than to consume material and make demands.
    Once a year you get attacked by goblins, nothing changes in this respect.
    Starting in savage wildlands means users trying to break down your fortress door to pester your IT workers instead of emailing helpdesk from day one.
    Tickets grow in fields underground but half of your workers will just ignore them or go do something else and make that one dilligent worker farm them all because reasons.
    Workers disappearing off the corner of the map to play WoW, shitpost on Reddit, or nap under furniture during business hours.
    People masturbating on video conference calls.
    Ever-decreasing budgets coupled with ever-increasing demands.
    People get possessed by strange moods and wind up building business critical databases on Access.
    New migrants arriving every year to replace the people who went insane and had to be put down after gnawing their own limbs off during the previous Winter.
    Cross-training your IT-dwarves to be janitors, building maintenance, and plumbers because no one else can do it and no one is paying for someone to come in and do it properly.

The list could go on for pages. The potential is there for real.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 15, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Moey posted:

Grants are a huge problem for local government too.

FUKKIN TELL ME ABOUT IT.

Dude shows up out of the blue and asks me where the LPR server is and tells me that he's going to install laptop moutns and license plate readers in the police cruisers.
I'm like "who the gently caress are you and what the gently caress are you talking about?" thinking it's some black hat trying to gain access to our server room and police department files.

Turns our the PD got a huge grant for new license plate readers and we were supposed to work with some company to get a server all set up on a private network and get all these license plate readers installed and working like 6 months ago.
PD bought all the poo poo and has just been sitting on it. BUT NOW IT'S URGENT AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED TODAY.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Annual goblin attacks at the office would spice things up a bit, but it'd be offset by mandatory siege training, and no one wants to sit through that. You think you're going to get some time behind a catapult, but in reality it's just a 3 hour powerpoint about catapult safety and operating procedures.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

What happens when an office worker gets a macabre mood?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

or the office drone digs too deep into the filesystem and unleashes long forgotten horrors?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

This printer is decorated in beige plastic and encircled with electronic buttons. This printer menaces with scratches and dents from nearby users.

On the item is an image of larchesdanrew in laminated plastic. larches is holding a cellphone, laughing maniacally. On his phone is printed the words "This is none of your concern". This artwork depicts the growing of larchesdanrew's spine and his subsequent quitting of his previous job in the autumn of 2015

WordsEye interpretation is spot fuckin on.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

FireSight posted:

What happens when an office worker gets a macabre mood?

They try to change the fuser themselves and wind up getting carcinogens everywhere.

Anyways in ticket came in news, suggestions on how to politely tell someone to stop attempting to fix problems themselves by unplugging stuff and moving it around? Trying to be (overly) tactful since this person already dislikes IT for some reason.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sheep posted:

...suggestions on how to politely tell someone to stop attempting to fix problems themselves by unplugging stuff and moving it around? Trying to be (overly) tactful since this person already dislikes IT for some reason.

"Don't fuckin' touch poo poo you goddamn knucklehead!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sheep posted:

They try to change the fuser themselves and wind up getting carcinogens everywhere.

Anyways in ticket came in news, suggestions on how to politely tell someone to stop attempting to fix problems themselves by unplugging stuff and moving it around? Trying to be (overly) tactful since this person already dislikes IT for some reason.

Guessing the 2 bolded parts have something to do with each other...hmm...

In all seriousness though, I've given up on being tactful with recklessly ignorant people. So my first go-to is usually "please stop disconnecting and moving hardware, you'll make things worse" and from there it escalates to notifying their manager about them being a repeat offender.

One of the things I absolutely hate that's sorta related is people that don't take care of their computers and keep putting in requests for something new. In the 3+ years I've been at my job I've had 2 computers - started with an old Optiplex tower and upgraded to a Latitude laptop after the tower's warranty expired. Never had any issues with either one but there are several people in sales or account management who have literally been through at least 3 computers in the last 18 months. Most of these computers were either less than a year old with fresh Windows installs, or brand new machines with fresh installs, and each had plenty of resources (i5/i7, minimum 8GB RAM, and either a 500GB hybrid drive or 256GB SSD). It's always pissing and moaning about slowness too, then you check their machine and it's riddled with stupid garbage like Spotify and Pandora, or toolbars hijacking the browsers, or it's full because they decided to link their stupid loving 47GB Dropbox account with all their personal dog/family/baby/flailing retard pictures and videos. These same people go through smartphones like loving Kleenex too and either have to have the latest and greatest because of their own bullshit vanity/ego problems, or because they're clumsy morons who keep breaking poo poo despite us telling them repeatedly to buy an Otterbox or something similar.

Is my hatred and loathing for sales and account management showing yet?

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 15, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Turns out when I connect to a user's computer with pcAnywhere they get my clipboard. I was walking a user though something, she right clicks and hits paste and out comes something I had written like two hours ago.

That could have been a whole lot worse.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

odiv posted:

Turns out when I connect to a user's computer with pcAnywhere they get my clipboard. I was walking a user though something, she right clicks and hits paste and out comes something I had written like two hours ago.

That could have been a whole lot worse.

Lol at all the drafted SA posts hiding in my clipboard

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

odiv posted:

Turns out when I connect to a user's computer with pcAnywhere they get my clipboard. I was walking a user though something, she right clicks and hits paste and out comes something I had written like two hours ago.

That could have been a whole lot worse.

If it was 10 years ago... there's a non-zero chance that could have been goatse.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES