Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Aw poo poo, maybe it could have been prevented if the nearby hospital hadn't been woefully underequipped for such a case :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That dude is pissed off at the photographer :laffo:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
From the schadenfreude thread:

Probably the only time a man has wished for a smaller penis.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/rioproblems/status/765279396886376448

"THERE WAS loving SHAMPOO EVERYWHERE"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wrong bimp breh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amazed there wasn't decapitation of someone being sliced in half with those wires.

Rio dodged a bullet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

The german coach died.
the first rio blood tribute, and probably not the last

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Someone tell me they captured those people giving their baby a drumming seizure on the NBC track feed just now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We really need a mocked-up medal tally board tallying up muggings, injuries, and deaths for each country at this point.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rio dodged a bullet.

Unlike that Olympic officer.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Track events for tonight were all delayed due to pouring rain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Track events for tonight were all delayed due to pouring rain.

Parts of the pole vault area have standing water that looks inches deep. I can't tell if that's on purpose for water runoff or they didn't do such a bang up job of creating a level surface. I know what my heart tells me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's for stee-pole-chase.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

flosofl posted:

Parts of the pole vault area have standing water that looks inches deep. I can't tell if that's on purpose for water runoff or they didn't do such a bang up job of creating a level surface. I know what my heart tells me.

Yeah. Major stadiums have a crapload of engineering involved with properly grading and installing tiling work to get the water out as fast possible. Sickens me that this might have been glossed over. I'll pen a letter to the IOC demanding reforms in this area.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Can we get that wizard guy to come back in and tell us all how things are going well?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

looks fine to me?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

the first rio blood tribute, and probably not the last

We've actually already had a few. From what I remember:

* Military police guy hired as an Olympic security officer took a wrong turn into the slums and got shot in the head.

* NBC journalist dropped dead of a heart attack at a barbecue (Source? Haven't found identification yet).

* French tennis team's physiotherapist collapsed and died a few days ago.

So this guy is actually the third or fourth to die at these games, not including all the favela violence happening down the road or the dismembered corpses floating past the boating events.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Olympian Jenn Suhr fighting illness in Rio

Defending Olympic pole vault champion and Riga resident Jenn Suhr is battling some sort of illness on the eve of this year's event in Rio de Janeiro, according to her husband and coach, Rick Suhr.

"Seems so unfair, we came here in the greatest shape of our life," Rick Suhr posted on his Facebook page Monday morning. "(Four) years of total dedication eaten up in one nasty virus that is only getting worse."

"Could have come from anywhere," Rick Suhr said in a text later Monday morning. "You are exposed to so many things here. She is pretty sick right now. We just don't know what it is."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/08/15/us-olympian-jenn-suhr-fighting-illness-rio/88754658/

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
ATHLETES have been forced to flee an Olympic venue as a bushfire rages close by.

The fire has taken hold at the Deodoro parkland area in the city’s west, parts of which houses the mountain bike stadium, canoe slalom course and BMX track.

Mountain bikers are said to have been evacuated from the park with the venue lying within the Deodoro hills area.

http://www.news.com.au/world/south-america/rio-de-janeiro-bushfire-threatens-olympic-venues/news-story/893eb33aaec11a712e7b7b662dfcf63a

Accidental double post.

edit : As many as 50 nations may no longer be able to compete at the Paralympics, amid claims Brazilian organisers have already spent money set aside for getting the athletes to Rio.

The local committee was supposed to send millions in grants to national Paralympic committees so athletes could get to Brazil.

But that hasn't happened.

It means athletes from poorer nations may no longer be able to get there.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/claims-brazilian-officials-have-already-spent-money-set-aside-for-paralympics-20160815-gqt92j.html

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 16, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

Olympian Jenn Suhr fighting illness in Rio

Defending Olympic pole vault champion and Riga resident Jenn Suhr is battling some sort of illness on the eve of this year's event in Rio de Janeiro, according to her husband and coach, Rick Suhr.

"Seems so unfair, we came here in the greatest shape of our life," Rick Suhr posted on his Facebook page Monday morning. "(Four) years of total dedication eaten up in one nasty virus that is only getting worse."

"Could have come from anywhere," Rick Suhr said in a text later Monday morning. "You are exposed to so many things here. She is pretty sick right now. We just don't know what it is."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/08/15/us-olympian-jenn-suhr-fighting-illness-rio/88754658/

Figured it was only a matter of time before the plague set in.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Figured it was only a matter of time before the plague set in.

The incubation period is over! Week 2 will be a shitfest, literally

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
To add to the post about regarding the mountain bike course

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=31617&title=mountain-bike-venue-on-fire-in-rio

The fire that engulfed the course is, without any joking about it, an out of control garbage fire.

Edit- Here's the most Rio statement I have ever seen

quote:

A controlled garbage burn got out of control after high winds over 90 kmph came up.

Shappa fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 16, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

looks fine to me?

Christ, looks like the slip-n-slide I'd setup in my backyard with a sprinkler for my kids.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

* French tennis team's physiotherapist collapsed and died a few days ago.

There is some irony.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shappa posted:

To add to the post about regarding the mountain bike course

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=31617&title=mountain-bike-venue-on-fire-in-rio

The fire that engulfed the course is, without any joking about it, an out of control garbage fire.

An uncontrollable garbage fire, bingo square option NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED. It was right there in front of us the whole time to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Burning garbage in a city with a known air quality problem.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Remember all that environmentalist poo poo they spewed all over everyone at the opening ceremonies?

Yeah.....

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

An uncontrollable garbage fire, bingo square option NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED. It was right there in front of us the whole time to.

Someone made a joke about a literal dumpster fire in the last thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

goatface posted:

Burning garbage in a city with a known air quality problem.

Can't they just ride through the flames like some Tony Robbins fire walk?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Koreas mad at the spectators in the olympics, and other stuff,

Rio 2016: Racist gestures irk Olympic fans

t is not the first time a supposedly racist act has caused controversy at the Olympics.

On Aug 8, French gymnastics commentator Thomas Bouhail referred to Japanese gymnasts as “Pikachu,” a yellow rat-like monster from the popular Japanese animation “Pokemon.”

French audiences pointed out that Bouhail’s words were offensive to Asians because the commentator compared the gymnasts’ skin color to that of the character.

The Superior Council of Audiovisual in France is investigating the issue.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pad/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=211859

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, looks like the slip-n-slide I'd setup in my backyard with a sprinkler for my kids.

It actually doesn't seem that bad. I've only seen a couple in the track events NBC's been showing tonight - The guy in that pic didn't so much fall as he did dive across the line to try and qualify, and a Canadian tripped over a hurdle.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

It's nearly halfway through the events and there's no major incidents, just the unity and celebration of athletic prowess that we expect from the Olympics. I made this clear in the other Rio megathread, but I feel sorry for a bunch of computer nerds who have probably never played sport in their lives that have nothing better to do than sit and make snarky comments.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, Brazilians are extremely racist, especially with Asians.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Please let it cancel the bike race.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pole vault bar lift no longer working right.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

I mean, I'm not a sanitation expert or anything, but maybe would it have been a good idea to just push "garbage fire day" back a week or two until after the Olympics were over? I'll bet whomever was responsible for that decision is having a fun night.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Cthulu Carl posted:

It actually doesn't seem that bad. I've only seen a couple in the track events NBC's been showing tonight - The guy in that pic didn't so much fall as he did dive across the line to try and qualify, and a Canadian tripped over a hurdle.

Yeah he definately dove on purpose, and if I recall he did qualify because of it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shappa posted:

I mean, I'm not a sanitation expert or anything, but maybe would it have been a good idea to just push "garbage fire day" back a week or two until after the Olympics were over? I'll bet whomever was responsible for that decision is having a fun night.

Shappa in charge of searching favelas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Shappa posted:

I mean, I'm not a sanitation expert or anything

It's ok, neither is anyone in Brazil

• Locked thread