Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Kazinsal posted:

It's not really a Hackintosh question, but this is probably the best place to ask: Has anyone here ever built a rack mounted Power Mac G5 case? A couple are coming into my possession soon through a friend of a friend, and somewhere along the way either my friend or his friend measured the case of a G5 as being about a quarter inch shorter than the spacing between two rack posts if you remove the handles and feet. Since the motherboard mounting side of one of the cases I'm getting is a fair bit scuffed I'm considering using it as a rackmount case.

Back in the day (the G5 has been discontinued for nearly a decade), there were rack ears/guides you could attach to it. Also you could just get a 1U four post shelf.

That being said, there is very little value a G5 can give you today. They are extremely power hungry and the last version to support them was 10.5 Leopard which released 8 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

8ender posted:

I'm happy to report that this card was a near total success. Genuine Apple Broadcom hardware, Bluetooth 4.1, Hand off and Continuity working great. Also 900mbit+ AC wifi speeds.

One issue I haven't figured out yet is that when my hackintosh wakes from sleep the card seems to get in a bad state. It'll connect to the access point but pings go wild and any sustained transfer like loading a website causes it to drop out. I've disabled sleep for now and that solves the problem.

Another update on this: turning off Wake on Wireless fixes this issue. I actually wouldn't mind having wake on wireless working so I may keep sleuthing around for a solution.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Graphics issues aside, I'm noticing that video playback is a bit choppy with high CPU usage.
For example the intro cinematic for hearthstone is visibly lagging and the hearthstone process CPU usage goes up beyond 60% while it's playing.

The game itself runs fine so I'm guessing QE and CI are running and enabled.
Does it do the same for anyone else with Intel graphics?

e:
Hearthstone does the same on Windows but video decode at 1080p only uses ~25% CPU so I'm guessing hardware video decode isn't working properly or something.

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 25, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any way to create a bootable drive from a el capitan .dmg?

I cannot get app store to resume my dl its stalled, but I do have the .dmg already, just unibeast expects the app store download.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

revmoo posted:

Any way to create a bootable drive from a el capitan .dmg?

I cannot get app store to resume my dl its stalled, but I do have the .dmg already, just unibeast expects the app store download.

Unibeast expects the App Store download. You may be able to turn install media into more install media with the createinstallmedia command, but you can't turn it into another App Store download.

Fortunately Unibeast is garbage and any sane way to Hackintosh (OPs are for reading) can work from createinstallmedia USB drives just fine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So if I cannot use this dmg I already have, how do I make the app store speed up? I am getting about 50 megs an hour...basically isdn speeds on my 200mbit connect. I tried all of the top fixes on google.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok Phew. I have osx running and booting. When booting the usb in the initial install, my internet works great. After running the express multibeast setup I can boot, but lose network connectivity.

What next? Board is a H110M-S2HP btw.

Nm: got it working by just checking all the boxes. Now will the same work for audio?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 26, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
..no. the same will not work for audio. How do I get sound?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you check the OP as that is the way it "should" be done for sound? Ticking all the boxes breaks audio as they conflict. Ticking all the boxes for network isn't the way to it either as you should only have the kext to your chip only. The extras are one more point of failure you will have to eliminate later if something goes wrong.

I looked it up, you need ALC887 codec when given the choice whether you pick the OP or Beast method. I highly recommend the OP as once done you pretty much never need to deal it it from one point release to another. The only time it might break is when they do a full step release where you have to update Clover anyway. Just follow the same steps again and don't worry about it for another 1-2 years.

Your LAN should be a Realtek.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm getting really tired of waiting for decent new Apple hardware, so much so that I considered buying an old (2012-ish) Mac Pro until this thread reminded me of Hackintoshes.
Unless a miracle happens at the next iPhone keynote (i.e. a new modular Mac Mini with external GPU support) I’ll probably put together a Hackintosh this fall.

After doing a bit of research (OP seems to be outdated?) I've come to the following conclusions:

• Sierra will work fine eventually.
  • Skylake CPUs are supported.
  • Nvidia GTX10x0 cards are not supported yet but the next Webdriver may fix this.
  • Software functionality is identical to a real Mac when using the right Gigabyte mainboards, even historically problematic services work fine (iMessage, MAS, sleep/standby).
  • Continuity requires a original Mac WiFi/BT miniPCIe card.
  • OS X point releases still have a chance of working without a hitch or completely breaking the system but one could always boot from an external SuperDuper clone to recover.
  • Power management (Intel Speedstep, dynamic GPU clockrates) is the same as in Windows.

Is all of that correct?
If so Hackintoshes really have made significant progress since the last time I played around with them.
Almost makes me wonder why Apple won't just select a few OEMs like Lenovo and HP to build beefy, licensed OS X workstations for them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

oohhboy posted:

Did you check the OP as that is the way it "should" be done for sound? Ticking all the boxes breaks audio as they conflict. Ticking all the boxes for network isn't the way to it either as you should only have the kext to your chip only. The extras are one more point of failure you will have to eliminate later if something goes wrong.

I looked it up, you need ALC887 codec when given the choice whether you pick the OP or Beast method. I highly recommend the OP as once done you pretty much never need to deal it it from one point release to another. The only time it might break is when they do a full step release where you have to update Clover anyway. Just follow the same steps again and don't worry about it for another 1-2 years.

Your LAN should be a Realtek.

I've tried the two drivers in Multibeast that have '887' in their name and neither work.

Is it too late to install Clover? Looks like it needs to modify my boot record, so I'm guessing yes.

Any alternatives or should I reinstall the whole system? I hate to do that as this thing is working 100% minus sound, but if that's the only way...

EDIT: Got it working, had to install some HDA enabler 2 kext.

So in the future should I be using this clover method? Is that why this was such a pain to install? I grabbed a Gigabyte board from the advice on this thread, but this round of installs has been much harder than the MSI board I used last time where everything just worked. Oh, also I'm only showing 4GB ram when the BIOS shows the correct amount (8GB). There a fix for that?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 26, 2016

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eames posted:

I'm getting really tired of waiting for decent new Apple hardware, so much so that I considered buying an old (2012-ish) Mac Pro until this thread reminded me of Hackintoshes.
Unless a miracle happens at the next iPhone keynote (i.e. a new modular Mac Mini with external GPU support) I’ll probably put together a Hackintosh this fall.

After doing a bit of research (OP seems to be outdated?) I've come to the following conclusions:

• Sierra will work fine eventually.
  • Skylake CPUs are supported.
  • Nvidia GTX10x0 cards are not supported yet but the next Webdriver may fix this.
  • Software functionality is identical to a real Mac when using the right Gigabyte mainboards, even historically problematic services work fine (iMessage, MAS, sleep/standby).
  • Continuity requires a original Mac WiFi/BT miniPCIe card.
  • OS X point releases still have a chance of working without a hitch or completely breaking the system but one could always boot from an external SuperDuper clone to recover.
  • Power management (Intel Speedstep, dynamic GPU clockrates) is the same as in Windows.

Is all of that correct?
If so Hackintoshes really have made significant progress since the last time I played around with them.
Almost makes me wonder why Apple won't just select a few OEMs like Lenovo and HP to build beefy, licensed OS X workstations for them.

OP is outdated, yeah. I wrote it before Tony updated all his tools to be Clover based. Things are much easier if you follow the Tony instructions. I'll rewrite the guide once Sierra GMs.

[*]Sierra will work fine eventually. <-- Works fine now
[*]Skylake CPUs are supported. <-- Yes
[*]Nvidia GTX10x0 cards are not supported yet but the next Webdriver may fix this. <-- Yes. Not the next WebDriver, but a WebdDriver at some point
[*]Software functionality is identical to a real Mac when using the right Gigabyte mainboards, even historically problematic services work fine (iMessage, MAS, sleep/standby). <-- This is iffy. Problematic services work 100%, if you use a real MLB/ROM value. Getting one isn't exactly painless though, you have to extract it from a real Mac that will never use iMessage. Sleep/standby works fine on select Gigabyte boards, though
[*]Continuity requires a original Mac WiFi/BT miniPCIe card. <-- An original card is the best way to go, but not the only way. If you want those features to work 100%, buy an original card
[*]OS X point releases still have a chance of working without a hitch or completely breaking the system but one could always boot from an external SuperDuper clone to recover. <-- Always a chance, but that hasn't happened in years
[*]Power management (Intel Speedstep, dynamic GPU clockrates) is the same as in Windows. <-- With Gigabyte boards, yes
[/list]

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eightysixed posted:

Yea, but for some reason I COULD NOT get iMessage to work. I had it working, upgraded to El Capitan, and that was the end of it :saddowns: Flat out couldn't recover.

Gotta get a real MLB/ROM value if you want iMessage/Facetime to stay working. Only way to get those is to extract them from a real Mac. I bought a bunch of old MacBook Pro (2007 era old) logic boards and jury rigged them enough to boot and pull MLB/ROM combos.

Obviously doing that isn't for everyone, though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I cant get Alc audio to work without a super hissy noise floor. Spdif with a breakout board is no go either (wtf you guys said Gigabyte). Is there a good cheap usb toslink box that will play nice with osx?

Also any hints on why my 8gb ram shows as 4gb? Bios shows 8gb, osx shows 4.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I hit the jackpot and the ID clover configurator generated for me passes muster at Apple so now I jealously guard it and transfer it when I upgrade my hackintosh.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What are the chances the Hackintosh community will be able to make Sierra work on Mac Pro 1,1 hardware? I see these these old 1,1 Mac Pros selling for peanuts.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBCrunch posted:

What are the chances the Hackintosh community will be able to make Sierra work on Mac Pro 1,1 hardware? I see these these old 1,1 Mac Pros selling for peanuts.

That is because they launched 10 years ago. MacPro 1,1 is the first Intel Mac Pro and they had issues. I'd stick to a Hackintosh or a newer used Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

PBCrunch posted:

Extremely low unless someone writes an SSE4.1 emulator, and fudges it into a boot file, since macOS Sierra uses direct SSE4.1 commands and this instruction set only exists on Penryn-based CPUs and later (Early 2008 Mac Pros.)

netkas says it may be possible, especially if Apple publishes the source code to the Sierra kernel, but I don't know of anyone that nutso to go that far for a 10 year old Mac, let alone Hackintosh rig..

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Binary Badger posted:

Extremely low unless someone writes an SSE4.1 emulator, and fudges it into a boot file, since macOS Sierra uses direct SSE4.1 commands and this instruction set only exists on Penryn-based CPUs and later (Early 2008 Mac Pros.)

netkas says it may be possible, especially if Apple publishes the source code to the Sierra kernel, but I don't know of anyone that nutso to go that far for a 10 year old Mac, let alone Hackintosh rig..

Exactly. AMD-level craziness. Far, far more effort than it's worth.

revmoo posted:

I cant get Alc audio to work without a super hissy noise floor. Spdif with a breakout board is no go either (wtf you guys said Gigabyte). Is there a good cheap usb toslink box that will play nice with osx?

Also any hints on why my 8gb ram shows as 4gb? Bios shows 8gb, osx shows 4.

What motherboard are you using?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How far back can you pull a MLB/ROM from for iMessage? I have an old iMac DV that ran OSX. Not sure it will boot after all these years of inactivity but that's my problem but worth the efforrt if I can use the numbers.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Binary Badger posted:

Can you just drop Penryn (Wolfdale) Xeons into a Mac Pro 1,1?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm all for people doing crazy hacks on their Macs Pro, but at some point you're so far from any supported configuration that you might as well have built a Hackintosh for the same money that will be 10x faster.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBCrunch posted:

Can you just drop Penryn (Wolfdale) Xeons into a Mac Pro 1,1?

You can, but I can tell you from experience, working on those Mac Pros is painful.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2079/3

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

enMTW posted:

Exactly. AMD-level craziness. Far, far more effort than it's worth.

What motherboard are you using?

GA-Q170M-D3H

No worries about the sound card, I went ahead and just bought a USB toslink box.

Still would like to be able to use my full 8GB of ram though..

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
My Yosemite Build is getting long in the tooth and buggy, (for many reasons). and I pretty much have to rebuild my hackintosh soon. And I'd prefer to do it from scratch, since there were a few things I never got working that I'd like to.

I'm debating whether to rebuild with the Sierra public beta, to be in that world or to go with the last version of Yosemite. I was not, and no one I work with in post, was impressed with Yosemite. Any thoughts? How Solid is Sierra?

Gigabyte Z97 TH model, 32gb Ram, Titan X.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I grabbed a mini pcie adapter to use the bcm94360CS2 I grabbed from a 2013 Macbook Air and after taking my laptop apart I've found the antenna sockets on the board are way too small.

Maybe a long shot but any ideas what to do here?
I'm having a bit of a tough time finding out what adapter I'd need or if it's even worthwhile to bother.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pigtail-Antenna-Cable/dp/B005UWD0EG ?

Might be right, but I don't know what connectors you need to go from/to. But the magic word is 'pigtail'.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

How far back can you pull a MLB/ROM from for iMessage? I have an old iMac DV that ran OSX. Not sure it will boot after all these years of inactivity but that's my problem but worth the efforrt if I can use the numbers.

The earliest Intel Macs are as far back as you can go.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

revmoo posted:

GA-Q170M-D3H

No worries about the sound card, I went ahead and just bought a USB toslink box.

Still would like to be able to use my full 8GB of ram though..

What is XMP Memory Profile set to in the bios?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

My Yosemite Build is getting long in the tooth and buggy, (for many reasons). and I pretty much have to rebuild my hackintosh soon. And I'd prefer to do it from scratch, since there were a few things I never got working that I'd like to.

I'm debating whether to rebuild with the Sierra public beta, to be in that world or to go with the last version of Yosemite. I was not, and no one I work with in post, was impressed with Yosemite. Any thoughts? How Solid is Sierra?

Gigabyte Z97 TH model, 32gb Ram, Titan X.

Sierra is pretty solid but I wouldn't run it yet if you rely on the WebDriver.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I've tried that, and somehow I get a revision that doesn't exist (16A293A instead of 16A294A) and the kext fails to load because it's out of date. Wouldn't recommend for NVIDIA Web Driver people.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Will Sierra fix the icloud/facetime/messanger issues or will that still be a problem?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Will Sierra fix the icloud/facetime/messanger issues or will that still be a problem?

That issue is a non valid serial number. I got it working first shot after changing the details in the guides out there. So I doubt that anything will change on Sierra.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

god this blows posted:

That issue is a non valid serial number. I got it working first shot after changing the details in the guides out there. So I doubt that anything will change on Sierra.

Can you share a guide? I've tried one but it didn't work.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Can you share a guide? I've tried one but it didn't work.

I believe this was the one I used. http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Hey enMTW, at this point, you mentioned that the TonyMac guide is OK since they're using clover now. Is that ok? or are you planning on an update soon? I decided to just make a El Cap build for now...

EDIT: Also is Multibeast ok now? Or should I still use the Clover Configurator?

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 28, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gee, I wonder how long until Apple's lawyers pounce on these guys..

http://hacbook.com

They're offering what looks to be a hybrid MacBook/Pro for only $329.. Looks like an old reconditioned HP laptop tweaked to run macOS..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 29, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I give it three weeks. Maybe four.

That being said, they don't seem to be selling them with macOS installed, just the equipment and probably a sheet of instructions on how to get Clover up and running etc. so maybe they'll last a bit longer?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

Gee, I wonder how long until Apple's lawyers pounce on these guys..

http://hacbook.com

They're offering what looks to be a hybrid MacBook/Pro for only $329.. Looks like an old reconditioned HP laptop tweaked to run macOS..

Holy lol they are selling 5 year old hardware with Sandy Bridge processors. Apple going to sue for stealing business practices too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mayodreams posted:

Holy lol they are selling 5 year old hardware with Sandy Bridge processors. Apple going to sue for stealing business practices too. :v:

I love that they didn't even find some way to replace the giant HP logo on the lid.