Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Golbez posted:

Also this may be the most unexpected map to not see the Oder-Neisse Line.

:confused: you see it though, it's the German-Polish border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kamrat posted:

Had no idea that northern Scandinavia was part of Siberian culture:

And another map about culture:

Both from this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_area

i'm the chunk of southeast france with the same culture as cyprus and bulgaria

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

System Metternich posted:

:confused: you see it though, it's the German-Polish border
I think they mean the other line, from when Poland moved west a bit.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guavanaut posted:

Makes sense :v: I'm afraid there's no spiffy name for it, it's just called “the borders of 1937“ in Germany

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kamrat posted:

I'm gonna go and guess that "Siberian" here means "nomadic reindeer herders".

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Kennel posted:

I'm gonna go and guess that "Siberian" here means "nomadic reindeer herders".

Yeah that's probably it, still think it's weird though.

I mean, most people up there arent reindeer herders, they live in towns and villages and have more in common with their respective countries than the people herding.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 16, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kamrat posted:

If they're going to have Rennes as Celtic (not going by historical linguistic lines) they might as well go whole hog and throw Nantes in there too. I know, they just threw the administrative region in and said "gently caress it"

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Kamrat posted:

If 'Savoy' is going to be included as a culture they should probably extend it to French Switzerland as they share more with each other than Paris with either.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

The Heihe–Tengchong Line, an imaginary line that divides China into two (more or less) equal area parts. The Western side has ~57% of the area, but 6% of the population. The Eastern side has 43% of the area but 94% of the population. The population ratio has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s.

Politically loaded because it includes Taiwan in China.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, sorry, got all my lines mixed up. I mean the blue outline in the 1945 map.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Golbez posted:

Really illustrates what a pretty great choice for capital location Washington was. The true center was closer to Baltimore, but that wouldn't have flown with the south.

Maryland was part of the South. The only reason it didn't secede was Lincoln declared martial law.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the Civil War, first blood was drawn in Baltimore. Union troops firing on civilians. Worse than the Boston Massacre.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cheerfullydrab posted:

In the Civil War, first blood was drawn in Baltimore. Union troops firing on civilians. Worse than the Boston Massacre.

The Baltimore riots broke out on the 19th of April, after the bombardment and surrender of Fort Sumter on the 12-13th of April. Also it wasn't very hard to be bloodier than the Boston massacre since the "shot heard round the world" managed to kill five people and injured 6. More Americans died in the Shay rebellion.

And speaking of the war of Northern aggression.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 16, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baka-nin posted:

The Baltimore riots broke out on the 19th of April, after the bombardment and surrender of Fort Sumter on the 12-13th of April.

The surrender of Fort Sumter where no one got killed. I was stating facts, not being polemical.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cheerfullydrab posted:

The surrender of Fort Sumter where no one got killed. I was stating facts, not being polemical.

Err no your not, the first violent act of the war was the bombardment of Fort Sumter, because it happened first and was an actual military operation. That was literally the outbreak of armed conflict. You are quite clearly being polemical.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That map is some reductive fourth-grade horseshit by the way. Kentucky and Missouri tried to stay neutral. West Virginia didn't exist, and if you're going to put it on a map you may as well put Nevada on there too. Maryland ceased to exist as anything but a military-occupied zone annexed to the District of Columbia until after the war. The only slave state truly loyal to the Union was Delaware, which was only loyal because Lincoln super pinky promised not to ever mess with slavery. Delaware then sullenly refused to ratify the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments till 1901.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ras Het posted:

It's Islam

While that is the only explanation I could come up with myself, it does not make any sense.

Other, more obvious Islamic areas such as Turkey are white. And other cities in West-Europe that have just as much if not more muslims (per 100 people), such as Antwerp and a number of cities in France, aren't even shown.

I'm going to guess instead that this map was made by an Amsterdam soccerfootball fan, they tend to look down upon Rotterdammers as a neanderthal subculture (no worries, the feeling is mutual).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

Err no your not, the first violent act of the war was the bombardment of Fort Sumter, because it happened first and was an actual military operation. That was literally the outbreak of armed conflict. You are quite clearly being polemical.

But I said first blood drawn. :confused:

How the hell do I state facts without any judgement and get tarred with the "War of Northern Aggression" brush?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cheerfullydrab posted:

That map is some reductive fourth-grade horseshit by the way. Kentucky and Missouri tried to stay neutral. West Virginia didn't exist, and if you're going to put it on a map you may as well put Nevada on there too. Maryland ceased to exist as anything but a military-occupied zone annexed to the District of Columbia until after the war. The only slave state truly loyal to the Union was Delaware, which was only loyal because Lincoln super pinky promised not to ever mess with slavery. Delaware then sullenly refused to ratify the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments till 1901.

I am shocked that a map in this thread of all places could be considered inaccurate or dubious to those not in agreement with the political outlook of its creator. Surely an unprecedented occurrence.

Carbon dioxide posted:

While that is the only explanation I could come up with myself, it does not make any sense.

Other, more obvious Islamic areas such as Turkey are white. And other cities in West-Europe that have just as much if not more muslims (per 100 people), such as Antwerp and a number of cities in France, aren't even shown.

I'm going to guess instead that this map was made by an Amsterdam soccerfootball fan, they tend to look down upon Rotterdammers as a neanderthal subculture (no worries, the feeling is mutual).

At first I assumed they had given Turkey a separate colour because it should be obvious that Turkish culture isn't he same as say Egypt's, even if they are both Islamic. But then North Africa and the rest of the middle east is the same colour, and there isn't any white spots in Germany despite a large Turkish minority. So unless they were being sloppy I don't get it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cheerfullydrab posted:

But I said first blood drawn. :confused:

How the hell do I state facts without any judgement and get tarred with the "War of Northern Aggression" brush?

Its called a joke. Christ sake I know this is D and D but lighten up, it wasn't even directed at you, you narcissist*.

*Yes that is a joke too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I am shocked that a map in this thread of all places could be considered inaccurate or dubious to those not in agreement with the political outlook of its creator. Surely an unprecedented occurrence.

That map could be completely accurate at a certain point in 1863, with Maryland, Missouri, and Kentucky all kept into the Union at the point of a bayonet and West Virginia fully sundered from its motherland, a year before Nevada became a state.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 16, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

Its called a joke. Christ sake I know this is D and D but lighten up, it wasn't even directed at you, you narcissist*.

*Yes that is a joke too.

Very sorry! The ACW makes people prickly, me included. Jokes are good.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kamrat posted:

Karachi and Saigon: same cultural area.

Portland and Chicago: three provinces away from each other.

I presume this is autochthonous peoples, and northern Scandinavia = Sami, who are Finno-Ugric like most of the non-Russian inhabitants of Siberia

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

"Come, we'll have an espresso in the cafe and listen to Toto Cotugno. Afterwards I'll cook you some spaghetti with tomatoes and basil from my garden. Do you like my new Feragamo shoes? It's all part of our Balkans culture we share with Kosovo, Bulgaria and Cyprus", said my Dalmatian host.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

mcustic posted:

"Come, we'll have an espresso in the cafe and listen to Toto Cotugno. Afterwards I'll cook you some spaghetti with tomatoes and basil from my garden. Do you like my new Feragamo shoes? It's all part of our Balkans culture we share with Kosovo, Bulgaria and Cyprus", said my Dalmatian host.

Cyprus is purple. Did you mean Crete?

Also, look at northern Italy. "Welcome to Lombardo-Venetien, southernmost region of the Germanic cultural area. Let's go to the Kaffeehaus together and drink a kleiner schwarzer. Later we will have dinner with typical regional dishes: Rindsuppe, Schweinsbraten and for dessert, Marillenknödel. It is all part of the culture we share with France, The Basque country, the British isles, Iceland, DACH, BeNeLux, a chunk of the Czech Republic and the southern half of Scandinavia"

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

They're all white is what it is.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

Cyprus is purple. Did you mean Crete?

Also, look at northern Italy. "Welcome to Lombardo-Venetien, southernmost region of the Germanic cultural area. Let's go to the Kaffeehaus together and drink a kleiner schwarzer. Later we will have dinner with typical regional dishes: Rindsuppe, Schweinsbraten and for dessert, Marillenknödel. It is all part of the culture we share with France, The Basque country, the British isles, Iceland, DACH, BeNeLux, a chunk of the Czech Republic and the southern half of Scandinavia"

Yes, Crete. And never forget the Sanjak of Novi Pazar. The map is bonkers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

Very sorry! The ACW makes people prickly, me included. Jokes are good.
In Dutch it is called the Amerikaanse Burgeroorlog, for obvious reasons.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mcustic posted:

Yes, Crete. And never forget the Sanjak of Novi Pazar. The map is bonkers.

The map is bonkers, but you seem to be overreacting a tad bit to the concept of having something in common with the folks in Novi Pazar.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

my dad posted:

The map is bonkers, but you seem to be overreacting a tad bit to the concept of having something in common with the folks in Novi Pazar.

:sigh: It's a Pynchon joke.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

steinrokkan posted:

Once the deed was done, people were actually kinda sad, apparently, including politicians who pushed the dissolution through, like Slovakia's Mečiar. There was a lot of hugging and sobbing in the Parliament on that day.

This peaceful separation thing is messing with my Balkan-infected brain, are you even real countries?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mcustic posted:

:sigh: It's a Pynchon joke.

Never heard of him/her/it.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

The Baltimore riots broke out on the 19th of April, after the bombardment and surrender of Fort Sumter on the 12-13th of April. Also it wasn't very hard to be bloodier than the Boston massacre since the "shot heard round the world" managed to kill five people and injured 6. More Americans died in the Shay rebellion.

since we're being pedantic, I'll point out that the "shot heard round the world" of the American Revolution was in concord, not the Boston massacre

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kamrat posted:

I'm the part of Canada that shares the same culture as Texas.

Also Australia being the same culture as the US and not England.

Finally, New Zealand and Madagascar sharing a culture.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

never trust an elf posted:

since we're being pedantic, I'll point out that the "shot heard round the world" of the American Revolution was in concord, not the Boston massacre

Also most of the world never heard of this shot and/or is wondering what Franz Ferdinand was doing in the United States anyway.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 16, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

I'm the part of Canada that shares the same culture as Texas.
Alberta? :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HookShot posted:

Finally, New Zealand and Madagascar sharing a culture.

There actually is a Polynesian connection there.

I don't know why NZ doesn't get to be green like Australia, though. I guess the Brits just didn't settle it hard enough.

e: oh wait, I think the Australian green is supposed to represent Aboriginal Australians + Melanesians.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 16, 2016

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Guavanaut posted:

In Dutch it is called the Amerikaanse Burgeroorlog, for obvious reasons.

There are clearly quite a few areas that are shaded red that are closer to a blue dot than a red dot and vice versa.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Delaware didn't really register as a slave state until in college, my girlfriend's grandmother told us a story about how her father used to take her to see the lynchings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the first census, 1790, the only state without any slaves was Massachusetts (and Maine, since it was part of Massachusetts at the time). There was still slave trading and slaves in Massachusetts before independence, however.