Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

cams posted:

i disagree and i think it's super cool when people who have had at least a dozen concussions and a fractured skull are allowed to compete in professional mixed martial arts for the first time at 39 years old.

UFC is going to cause a man to die for their profits, and is worse than Bellator. It's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

When did punk shave his huge beard??

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was probably filmed early in his training

Which is horrifying because it means one of his best things for the trailer was from a year ago

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
He can probably do a handful of mma things better now than he could in 2014.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DannoMack posted:

He can probably do a handful of mma things better now than he could in 2014.

such as get knocked out :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MMA fights are supposed to get called off when one fighter "cannot intelligently defend himself", right?

Then why would they let the fight start?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Intruder posted:

No but that one's pretty cool too thanks

e: the one I'm thinking of, and it may not be Silva and I'm just misremembering, the fighter eats a big shot up against the cage and his legs are like jello but he just wings punch after punch and lands a knockout
I am 99% sure you're talking about Kongo/Barry but I don't have a gif handy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DannoMack posted:

When did punk shave his huge beard??

He didn't, it blew off with the force from that huge punch.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe after the second time they drilled chokes he realized how much it sucks having a long beard while training jiu jitsu.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

projecthalaxy posted:

MMA fights are supposed to get called off when one fighter "cannot intelligently defend himself", right?

Then why would they let the fight start?

Technically the fight has to start before it can end. They may not have enough time to call it before Punk dies

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Gaz2k21 posted:

Punk's gonna die.....

It's like, literally impossible to tell what is going to go down. I understand why MMA fans don't give a poo poo, but for wrestling fans, this is going deliver Wrestlemania in your youth levels of excitement.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've been an embarrassingly big Punk fan for over a decade, but he's so hideously outmatched here that it's just kinda laughable and sad. Obviously Punk -could- shock the world and get a surprise KO or something, but personally I find it hard to get excited for something that looks like this much of a foregone conclusion.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CoolCat posted:

It's like, literally impossible to tell what is going to go down. I understand why MMA fans don't give a poo poo, but for wrestling fans, this is going deliver Wrestlemania in your youth levels of excitement.

Its not really that hard to predict, CM punk will probably get clipped by a punch that doesnt look that hard and go down and get TKOd, or he will get taken down and outgrappled and then TKOd. Nothing against him but its super unlikely hes gonna come out and surprise everyone by doing something really good

But the odds only have him as roughly a 3 to 1 underdog, so the betting public at least thinks he has like a 25% chance of winning, which i think is generous but hey who knows

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Also that we have a little less than a month to go and Punk could easily be injured in that amount of time. Or Gall even.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

manyak posted:

Its not really that hard to predict, CM punk will probably get clipped by a punch that doesnt look that hard and go down and get TKOd, or he will get taken down and outgrappled and then TKOd. Nothing against him but its super unlikely hes gonna come out and surprise everyone by doing something really good

But the odds only have him as roughly a 3 to 1 underdog, so the betting public at least thinks he has like a 25% chance of winning, which i think is generous but hey who knows

I liken they way you start off your post by saying its a sure conclusion, then end it by saying who knows, thus proving my point. Classic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CoolCat posted:

I liken they way you start off your post by saying its a sure conclusion, then end it by saying who knows, thus proving my point. Classic

He ended his post talking about where the public is placing gambling money. That is different than the start. It is a foregone conclusion that Punk is gonna get punked.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i would think that the money comes from wrestling fans and people who think the fix is in, hence the weirdly good odds for punk.

e: that is to say, betting odds for crowd darlings are always deflated because there's so much money coming in usually, so in case there's an upset, the betting company doesn't want to risk paying for everybody's wrestlemania next year.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CoolCat posted:

lol "classic"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CoolCat posted:

if Punk was destroying people in training and generally beasting about, word would make the streets. Instead we get a gif of him throwing what looks to be working punches.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm more interested at this point to see what becomes of his legal disputes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm more interested at this point to see what becomes of his legal disputes.

it'd be pretty cool if the judge made Punk apologize to the doctor live on a RAW or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i would think that the money comes from wrestling fans and people who think the fix is in, hence the weirdly good odds for punk.

e: that is to say, betting odds for crowd darlings are always deflated because there's so much money coming in usually, so in case there's an upset, the betting company doesn't want to risk paying for everybody's wrestlemania next year.

Yeah the odds should probably be longer. Personally i like "any outcome other than CM punk by submission" at a cool 24 to 1 favorite

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
25% odds is pretty good when mickey gall's most notable win is over a boxing journalist or whatever

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
I would defend manyaks post but you all got it covered. Can't wait to watch

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Classic

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

25% odds is pretty good when mickey gall's most notable win is over a boxing journalist or whatever

CM Punk has the exact same record and level of experience in pro mma as that guy though.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1Vj8Pd8uM

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Funnier in black and white

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Yeah the odds should probably be longer. Personally i like "any outcome other than CM punk by submission" at a cool 24 to 1 favorite

Vegas Dave just put 24 million on that

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So should I bet on MMA?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Herr Tog posted:

So should I bet on MMA?

The answer to this question is simultaneously "never" and "always."

It is a phenomenon known as the Jase Paradox.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Didnt that "Evolution of punk" Documentary air tonight?? did anyone watch it (I'm in the UK so it wasn't an option as far as i know)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

So should I bet on MMA?

Absolutely. Make sure to post in the gdt after the fight in question.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gaz2k21 posted:

Didnt that "Evolution of punk" Documentary air tonight?? did anyone watch it (I'm in the UK so it wasn't an option as far as i know)

It did. He got worked pretty thoroughly in his first smoker and everyone at Roufus Sport had dejected "we've made a huge mistake" looks on their faces as Some Dude Named Craig tapped Punk twice

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LobsterMobster posted:

It did. He got worked pretty thoroughly in his first smoker and everyone at Roufus Sport had dejected "we've made a huge mistake" looks on their faces as Some Dude Named Craig tapped Punk twice

thank you for your field report

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also Ben Askren hit a Stone Cold Stunner on Punk at the end of a grappling practice and everyone laughs except Phil who is all "gently caress me!"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

Also Ben Askren hit a Stone Cold Stunner on Punk at the end of a grappling practice and everyone laughs except Phil who is all "gently caress me!"

Hahaha

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LobsterMobster posted:

i need this on video

it'd be doubly funny if he immediately got side control and duke counted a pinfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

keep this on the DL since my fam over at uproxx are gonna include it in a write-up of the episode, but i love y'all

https://vine.co/v/5htJj0L27he

• Locked thread