Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nostrum posted:

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but how bad is the Free-to-Play aspect of the game? It seems like if you can resist the urge to gamble for lockboxes, you can play just as well without spending any real money at all.

Not bad at all. Pay $5 to remove the EC cap and that's basically the extent of the p2w unless you have a horrible gambling problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, pretty much. There's an EC (normal currency) cap and some other QoL things you miss out on but if you save up dilithium (daily limited currency) you can buy the zen (real money currency) with that instead of actual money, and from there get the in-between subscriber and pure f2p account status.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Most of the subscriber benefits are more slots for stuff like inventory, boffs, ships and retrain tokens. The former aren't really necessary if you're just starting to play and the last one isn't necessary because theres a skill guide in the wiki so you get it right the first time. None of it affects your ability to get the good fleet related gear and if you stick around someone will probably toss you a lockbox ship eventually. So you don't really have to spend any money at all.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
F2P isn't bad at all as long as you either don't care about having the best gear/build (which you don't actually need) or are willing to roll some extra chars to farm extra dilithium for the character you actually play. Dil is the time-gated currency you need for buying nearly all the good gear or can sell for store-credit. Except it's gated per char and you can move it between chars without much effort.

Also if you're going to pick up this game at this point either don't or start with an original series character and make it past the intro missions. There's currently an event on that will get you a shitload of bonuses that will save you a shitload of effort down the line as long as you get past the intro before the event ends. There's like a week or two left I think and it'll take you a couple of hours to do at most.

Also if you're going to stick around be sure to post your @handle and get in the goon chat so we can yell at you for being bad help you out with free advice and gear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nostrum posted:

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but how bad is the Free-to-Play aspect of the game? It seems like if you can resist the urge to gamble for lockboxes, you can play just as well without spending any real money at all.

It isn't as F2P friendly as it was two years ago, but it's still super F2P friendly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

To be honest, going pure F2P is a bit worse than it was before, yeah, thanks to the new ship tier. You can't gain a T6 ship through leveling alone so you basically wind up two ship tiers behind the curve (fleet T5 and T6, arguably fleet T6 too). This isn't really crippling if you know how to do a good build but it's still a noticeable handicap, especially since the free ships you get from leveling tend to be unoptimized launch-era ones.

With that said, Cryptic gives away a free T6 ship at least twice a year with a long but trivial grind, though the next one is going to be around Christmas. But an upgrade token for a T5/fleet T5 ship is relatively cheap in game, you might luck into goon charity if you aren't a total rear end in a top hat, and even in the worst case you really only need a single ship so picking a good T6 c-store boat will basically last you until the next time they decide to add a tier a few years from now. And aside from the credit cap you basically don't need to buy anything else, yeah.

Lagomorphic posted:

Also if you're going to pick up this game at this point either don't or start with an original series character and make it past the intro missions. There's currently an event on that will get you a shitload of bonuses that will save you a shitload of effort down the line as long as you get past the intro before the event ends. There's like a week or two left I think and it'll take you a couple of hours to do at most
To clarify, you only need to create a TOS character during the event and get them past the tutorial missions (rather quick, like an hour tops) for them to qualify for the bonuses. Once you've done that you can earn them at your own pace, even after the event ends. So if you're on the fence you might as well make a character now anyway.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

you really only need a single ship so picking a good T6 c-store boat will basically last you until the next time they decide to add a tier a few years from now

This is the important bit and what I referenced before. If you stick around a bit and aren't a total shitlord chances are high you'll get a freebie lockbox ship or some fsm/upgrade token to fill this need. The latter aren't all that expensive anyway and its easy enough to grind up a few mil to get yourself a decent endgame ship anyway.

Or you will have played enough by that point to realize you don't like this game and you don't have to bother with any of that.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The thing is yeah you can play but you probably really want to be subscribed while leveling and if you're not set up you're gonna miss out on a ton of good ship traits and duty officers and a bunch of other small stuff you can do without while still doing better than most random people in the game but the same is true for half your brain and that's still a thing you're gonna miss. I mean you are sort of in luck since one of the recent lock boxes made some essentials really cheap again but some of it was never and will never be cheap and if you want to be the very best like no one ever was be ready to grind your rear end off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The biggest problem is that Bort loves exclusivity, so a lot of the freebie rewards are never going to be given out again. Not that they're necessarily best in slot, but the shotgun is fun, and the various free ships are nice.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
My son is also named Bort.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A very charitable Redditor gave my LC 19 Fed character 1,000,000 EC.

What do I blow it on? Romualn Ale and Orion whores?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Oh wow, an entire million. Just don't spend it all in one place.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
1m EC is pocket change, it won't get you anything of importance.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

IPCRESS posted:

[Tell] Gary@lwbluemax: I was actually kicked out of the Starfleet Dental Academy a few weeks ago, 1 thing i learned is that there aren't many members that share info on hacks/glitches in the game
There are no hacks/glitches, only PWE sanctioned items and commands.

CobiWann posted:

Transwarp.

If you have a TOS toon you should be able to get a couple of millions from just finishing story arcs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

A down payment on part of a single weapon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fakemirage posted:

If you have a TOS toon you should be able to get a couple of millions from just finishing story arcs.

yeah but as a counterpoint: gently caress that poo poo I ain't got time for that

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DancingShade posted:

A down payment on part of a single weapon.

THIS is Gene Roddenberry's utopia economy?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

THIS is Gene Roddenberry's utopia economy?
No, this is a F2P MMO made by people who think the Koreans have some great ideas when it comes to grinding and pay2win.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Owned by a Chinese company notorious for that crap.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Why can't I get past 15k?!?

Full thread.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
To his credit, at least he's got the cutting beam/borg console. So he's not doing everything wrong.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
He's a Tac though, he should sneeze and do 20k

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

CobiWann posted:

A very charitable Redditor

That's a major red flag in of itself.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Speaking of charitable redditors, some of the advice in that thread is interesting.

Note for pubbies: if someone from Reddit is being nice to you, you are being groomed. Find an adult.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I missed out on the Delta Recruitment stuff - would making a second AoY character and running him through his paces mean I can double up on the account-wide rewards?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

S.D. posted:

I missed out on the Delta Recruitment stuff - would making a second AoY character and running him through his paces mean I can double up on the account-wide rewards?

Sadly no.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Any thoughts as to what they'll be giving away before the next season launches? Last year, they tossed a slew of things our way, including an upgrade requisition and an upgradeable T5 for each faction.

Think they'll do it again? Or maybe offer one of the not as well-selling T6s? (Though I can't think of any T6s which I would consider as not selling well, really...)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I doubt they'll give any away, but I expect the worst selling Fed T6 would be Scryer or Dauntless, especially now that Voyager and Ballship are out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 17, 2016

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. At most probably a T5 and an Upgrade - not that those would be bad at all. Though hm, of the T5s, they've given out, we have...

T5 Science Ships (Nebula / Varanus)
T5 Cruisers (Excelsior / Marauder)
A T5 Warbird (Ar'Kif)

So we might be looking at something more tactical this time? Or something more eclectic like Atrox / Guramba Siege Destroyer (which, like the Marauder Patrol Cruiser has no Fleet Upgrade) / Dhelan?

alfheimwanderer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 17, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alfheimwanderer posted:

Yeah. At most probably a T5 and an Upgrade - not that those would be bad at all.

They've really hit the point where they need to just make upgrades free, though.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Probably why they throw one in for free for each purchase of a T5 during ship sales...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tribble:

quote:

Resolved an issue where sometimes, lips would not be synced when NPCs were talking.

I'll believe it when I loving see it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I doubt they'll give any away, but I expect the worst selling Fed T6 would be Scryer or Dauntless, especially now that Voyager and Ballship are out.
Probably the Dauntless. The Scryer has a cloak, intel powers, and a pretty good boff loadout, while there's been some other high-tac sciboat options for Feds. No real reason to fly one with the 31st century not-Vesta around, for example.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't mind having a lil space squid to mess around with.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Not sync'd? They just plain haven't moved at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can anyone confirm that the All-reps-to-Tier-5 temporal recruit reward does affect project rewards but doesn't affect stuff from the rep shop?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

MikeJF posted:

Can anyone confirm that the All-reps-to-Tier-5 temporal recruit reward does affect project rewards but doesn't affect stuff from the rep shop?
The reputation stores are unaffected from what I can tell.

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't mind having a lil space squid to mess around with.
Please don't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fakemirage posted:

Please don't.

I won't be held responsible for your filthy brain.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

That gels with what the devs have been saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoerp
Sep 29, 2012

Lord of the Seas

MikeJF posted:

I won't be held responsible for your filthy brain.

We all know what you meant. :cthulhu:

• Locked thread