Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ruddiger posted:

Roger Corman had the right idea and Charlie Band followed his business model. Strike up the poster art first, see which artwork is popular with the public, make the movie based on which artwork gains traction. Rinse, repeat.

It's funny, there was a time when Fangoria did an article on Full Moon selling their unmade movies at some festival, I don't think it was Cannes, but it might have been, and they showed all these posters with unfinished special effects in them. Like Puppet Master 3, where Six Shooter was literally just a four armed foot soldier toy, and Subspecies had the original idea of hairy stuntmen in costumes for the little demon things Radu makes.

Some notes on the poster post:

Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys was made by SyFy, not Full Moon. They leased the licenses. The puppets look AWFUL. I once asked Charles Band on twitter if it was canon to the series, and he very clearly said it was not.

Speaking of Demonic Toys, part 2 also a sequel to Hideous! which is actually pretty good. Also, Blood Dolls apparently has a sort of extra-dimensional connection to Demonic Toys, as the clown manservant character is said by Full Moon to be a human version of Jack Attack. Blood Dolls is also supposed to technically be Head of the Family part 3. There is no part 2.

InfiniteZero posted:

This movie is now notable because it stars Greg Sestero from The Room.

It's bad. Apologists for Sestero's performance in The Room should be forced to watch Retro Puppet Master, Clockwork Orange style.

I liked Retro! <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The excellent and excellently-named horror short Chainsaw Scumfuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEVmiB9hgQ

That felt like some bizzare proto-August Underground.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

It's more like Driller Killer or Evil Dead Trap. It doesn't have the obsessive attention to detail of August Underground.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I need to see Head of the Family at some point. A comic shop down the road has a bunch of Full Moon merchandise, including Evil Bong and Gingerdead Man cereal boxes. I'm pretty sure they come with dvd's as well, but I find that company's marketing hilarious and amazing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Evil Bong movies are, uh, bizarre.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've actually never been able to finish a August Underground film. It's too much I just end up turning it off.

edit:

Huh, I didn't even know Full Moon had a streaming service.

Kvlt! posted:

http://fullmoonstreaming.com/

Did you know about this?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 15, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Avclub did a run the series on puppet master recently that was pretty funny. I remember being scared of the first one as a kid but it's definitely a fun Classic in retrospect

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

FastestGunAlive posted:

Avclub did a run the series on puppet master recently that was pretty funny. I remember being scared of the first one as a kid but it's definitely a fun Classic in retrospect

The second terrified me as a child. I caught it on the Scifi (syfy?) channel and couldn't stop watching it, but it wasn't much later that I actually actively enjoyed/sought out horror movies. I credit that to a thunderstorm and Friday the 13th part 4.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Hollismason posted:

I've actually never been able to finish a August Underground film. It's too much I just end up turning it off.

edit:

Did you know about this?

If that works in the UK I might have to get involved especially since Shudder much like Netflix have clamped down on VPN use.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like scary movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

I like scary movies.

What's your favorite scary movie?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Basebf555 posted:

What's your favorite scary movie?

Jeepers Creepers

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never got the Showgirls line in Scream 2. That film geek would be all over Verhoeven's dick, I just don't see a dude like that bashing that director or his film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I never got the Showgirls line in Scream 2. That film geek would be all over Verhoeven's dick, I just don't see a dude like that bashing that director or his film.

Scream 2 came out just two years after Showgirls, long before the critical reevaluation of that movie began.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Bananana posted:

Jeepers Creepers

That's a good choice because the final girl in the film is a guy which is pretty interesting.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's more like Driller Killer or Evil Dead Trap. It doesn't have the obsessive attention to detail of August Underground.

Is it a full movie? Or just that clip?

Hollismason posted:

edit:

Did you know about this?

August Underground is very hard to watch. Not just because of the gruesome content but the way it's filmed can be nauseating, especially to those with motion sickness.

I haven't heard of full moon streaming but I'll definitely check it out. I don't think i've seen one, which ones should I start with?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think I'd ever watch one of the August Underground movies in their entirety, but S&Man did pique my interest. Fred Vogel is a great interview subject.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

August Underground is very hard to watch. Not just because of the gruesome content but the way it's filmed can be nauseating, especially to those with motion sickness.

I haven't heard of full moon streaming but I'll definitely check it out. I don't think i've seen one, which ones should I start with?

Puppet Master series is a lot of fun up til 3 , actually most of the First films in all the series are pretty good.

I'm going to hold off and buy a 12 month because it seems the best deal 6 movies plus you get a 50 dollar gift card. That's kind of crazy.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think I'd ever watch one of the August Underground movies in their entirety, but S&Man did pique my interest. Fred Vogel is a great interview subject.

I actually really liked that film. Although I found the interviews more interesting than the actual "story".

I just can't deal with all the sexual violence poo poo in the August Underground series.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 16, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

Haha, that is the full movie.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think I'd ever watch one of the August Underground movies in their entirety

The thing about them is that they are very boring. You want to talk found footage, they are literally like watching home movies just with meticulous and seamless effects. It feels like they were made to demonstrate to apprentices what you can accomplish with practical tech.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hollismason posted:

That's a good choice because the final girl in the film is a guy which is pretty interesting.

I like it for lots of reasons. Though I think the 3rd act is weak. (I'm not against the ending though)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The thing about them is that they are very boring. You want to talk found footage, they are literally like watching home movies just with meticulous and seamless effects. It feels like they were made to demonstrate to apprentices what you can accomplish with practical tech.

I actually kind of respect that, one of my problems with a lot of found footage movies is how conspicuously edited they are.

I more just don't really wanna watch an extended sequence of someone being raped with dogshit or whatever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They have really good practical effects as someone who was a paramedic some of their stuff looks legit real. It's like watching a full video of the movies of Henry and Otis from Henry : Portrait of.. just more graphic. Like they were like "That home invasion part of the Henry film let's make that but worse".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If I was like 13 when those movies first came out, I definitely would have told people at school they were real.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I was like 13 when those movies first came out, I definitely would have told people at school they were real.

It took this post for me to realize what a straight line you can draw from Guinea Pig to August Underground

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Actually... you guys are more movie knowledgeable than I... what changes would have made Jeepers Creepers perfect?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Bananana posted:

Actually... you guys are more movie knowledgeable than I... what changes would have made Jeepers Creepers perfect?

Not hiring the guy who rapes kids to direct it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Not hiring the guy who rapes kids to direct it.them.

:agreed:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 16, 2016

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You guys hit the hail on the head in regards to AU. The AU films are literal found footage- they're meant to be like tapes from a serial killer. There's no story or anything like in a traditional found footage movie. There's no narrative or any real character development. It's an "uncensored" look into the lives of some hosed up people. As hard as they are to watch, they are pretty unique movies. I'm a big Toetag fan so I might be biased but I found them to be a really original horror concept.

I actually met Fred Vogel and his wife, both were really nice and genuinely care for their craft.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Scanners is actually real fuckin' bad, and I will fight you if you have anything good to say about it. A movie that is reducible to a single gif, and that scene happens like 10 minutes in.

It's a laborious slog through sub-Dan-Brown level technothriller bullshit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Scanners is actually real fuckin' bad, and I will fight you if you have anything good to say about it. A movie that is reducible to a single gif, and that scene happens like 10 minutes in.

The film has Michael Ironside :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The film has Michael Ironside :colbert:

So does Total Recall, making Scanners superfluous in the cinema canon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Holy crow this print of Blood Mania in this mill creek pack is surprisingly clean. I'm kind of shocked.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Scanners is great, and the final battle is fantastic. Ironside was also pretty great in Visting Hours which is an alright little slasher that Shatner is in for like 10 minutes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

As I said earlier, it's his worst film. Like, you can see all the good ideas hiding behind the corners, but at the end of the day it's a mess that can't seem to decide what it wants to be.

Getting back to Full Moon Streaming, I had a subscription gifted to me for the year of 2014, which really was great. Especially when they managed to get both Something Weird Video and Blue Underground to sign on under them, so their catalogs keep getting added too, not to mention stuff Charles Band made or had rights to sitting around that's not Full Moon. My only complaint is there's no dedicated app, you just watch straight from browsers. Though mobile browsers have no problems with the films. I've asked for another subscription for my birthday at the end of the month. That, and one for shudder.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Scanners really is Cronenbergs worst film, but even then it's a really great film.

Full Moon doesn't have the catalogue to really justify that 8 buck a month. However, the yearly subscription for 65 and you get 6 films on DVD apparently plus a 50 dollar gift card sweetens the deal to just getting the yearly.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I want to talk about horror movies with you guys.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I like the old Italian giallo and lots of 60s -80s stuff, too. I like the hammer movies, the universal monster stuff and lots of old b movies. Recently I re-watched Tombs of the Blind Dead and Blood and Black Lace.
Edit: on-topic, the AU movies are fine but not really my thing. I don't find them offensive but the lack of narrative just doesn't work for me.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 16, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Scanners is great nails that sweaty fever dream feeling it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

PinkoBastard posted:

I like the old Italian giallo and lots of 60s -80s stuff, too. I like the hammer movies, the universal monster stuff and lots of old b movies. Recently I re-watched Tombs of the Blind Dead and Blood and Black Lace.
Edit: on-topic, the AU movies are fine but not really my thing. I don't find them offensive but the lack of narrative just doesn't work for me.

I like those things too. :yeah:

Have you dabbled in the Amicus anthologies? They're pretty fun.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 16, 2016