Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Ah cool, I was doing that but I'm pulling them back inside at the first hint of buildup since I heard they can get dementia at medium. Just looked up medium and it's 40% so I think I can afford to let them loose a little bit longer. I'll keep them below 20% in case of rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

You can actually stay outside for a good long time in toxic fallout. Just watch your guys and let them recover whenever they hit minor. Even serious is rarely an issue, but keep it to emergencies.

What I tend to do is unrestrict them one by one and let them go get acid rained on in shifts and stuff can still get done (if slowly)

between this and that guy talking about the slow bleeding rate, i wonder if they adjusted these values to match the hour-length buff they did a bit back.

i mean, neither has usually been a pressing concern for me in the past, but maybe damage over times caught a stealth/accidental nerf? they do seem weaker, speaking anecdotally

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

a7m2 posted:

i love that my guy is still in his honeymoon period after his wife got killed

My last colony ended when the last two colonists (of 5) who'd survived a series of raids slowly burned to death in the spreading fire of the remains of a manhunting boomrat.

The woman had been rescued from a pod a few days after the colony started and fell and love and married the man. They were still in their honeymoon phase and even in her last few moments of life after her husband's clothes had literally burned off him and he'd died, only 1 tile away, she was still in the glow of her honeymoon.

Then she died.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Someone needs to make a Snowpiercer mod for this game. All the elements are there.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Man, I've had a volcanic winter going on for 27 days (I'm mostly solar powered) and I'm about a week into toxic fallout, not good base building weather.

I have two big problems, the first is food, I butchered everything I could on the map without getting toxic buildup so I have 35 meals and about 450 meat for 8 colonists, about ten meals each. I haven't seen another animal other than an Alphabeaver swarm that decided for some reason it didn't want to stick around the barren hellhole I find myself in and went away. I do have some indoor growing facilities but they won't support 8 people so I'm ok for now but it's a worry since I'm used to just shooting things when food gets low.

The other is power, I have eight lots of solar power and two wind turbines but there's a volcanic winter on and I've just set up my indoor farming so it's not doing it unless it's windy. I have four wood burners but it's no fun trying to keep them fueled when outside is poison and everything is dying.

Looks like tough times ahead. I'm drowning in fabrics and furs so a trade ship or caravan or even a friendly cargo pod drop would be really, really nice.

For issues like this, I draft all the colonists and hit the beavers with a firing squad and have them haul back immediately.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Is there a list of backer characters? I feel like this character must be some kind of GamerGate-style social justice warrior parody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I found a dead guy in a cryopod whose job title was "game dev" :stare:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

ToadStyle posted:

Is there a list of backer characters? I feel like this character must be some kind of GamerGate-style social justice warrior parody.

I never looked at the backer rewards but it seems like you could only get name+backstory with everything else random.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's $45 for your name or $200 for backstory, can buy em straight from the steam page if you want

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the gently caress is this room 17 degrees Celsius? The surrounding hallway is like 22. The cooler is pointed blue-end into the room with the controls set to -10 degrees Celsius. I had no problem setting up a freezer in my last colony. What the fuuuuck.

This is the only way to get it to freeze. Why is one cooler unable to handle this small room, but on my other colony, this one is perfectly sufficient?

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 16, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does it have a roof?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Is it the 4 torches providing heat? Your refrigerator doesn't really need lighting at all.

Could also be the wooden walls I guess, I'm not sure exactly how the game handles those (and I always make refrigerators/coolers out of steel).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

John Charity Spring posted:

Is it the 4 torches providing heat?

:suicide:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
It's also that you're using wood walls - wood walls insulate very poorly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Matrim posted:

It's also that you're using wood walls - wood walls insulate very poorly.

I read somewhere that people had done tests and the walls don't matter. But it may have changed.

Also, four members of a trading group waded into a firefight between my people and some raiders, and they all died. I buried them, but now the trading group is extremely hostile to me. How do I say I'm sorry?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Squeegy posted:

I read somewhere that people had done tests and the walls don't matter. But it may have changed.

Also, four members of a trading group waded into a firefight between my people and some raiders, and they all died. I buried them, but now the trading group is extremely hostile to me. How do I say I'm sorry?

Ah yep, they changed it but I tested just to make sure. There's no difference in material used, but thickness does matter. Double-insulating provides a lower possible temperature with a single cooler than single-insulating.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Do mountain walls count? I've always been sorta confused on how the whole mountain temperature thing works.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

the enemy AI is pretty smart in this game. can someone post some good defense strategies that don't exploit weaknesses in the game too much? guiding them into a hallway is still fine but i don't want it to be like dwarf fortress where you just have a hallway of cage traps that will stop pretty much anything

Matrim posted:

Ah yep, they changed it but I tested just to make sure. There's no difference in material used, but thickness does matter. Double-insulating provides a lower possible temperature with a single cooler than single-insulating.

OH. this is some good info.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Torches can make for pretty nice and cheap lighting outside of your fridges, and do provide a bit of warming in places, which is nice for winter. Won't replace heaters, but makes them run a little less hard. I use them for hallways and such.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh nice, that faction raided me while my base was surrounded by manhunting wargs. I just captured the survivors, nursed them back to health, and released them, and that improved relations. Sweet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Randy Random might be a friendlier fellow, but sometimes he'll feel the need to gently caress you horribly just like his sisters.

I had a decent tundra colony going. Still poor and underdeveloped, but out of the subsistence phase, with 6 colonists, a decent crafting setup, and a big enough hydroponics setup and power grid to keep everyone reasonably fed through the winters. One day a pirate raid shows up. I have a well-equipped defense squad with crafted assault rifles and some rudimentary pillar/sandbag setups to engage attackers from, so I go to see off the raid. Combat begins...and then Randy decides to have almost my entire power grid, deliberately spread around to prevent such a catastrophe, go up in an explosion. The only thing that didn't get hit was my geothermal, which was on a separate grid powering my sun lamps for the hydroponics. Henry, my pacifist crafter, begins trying to fight the Class A Apocalypse Inferno raging through the heart of my base while everyone frantically tries to clean up the pirates, taking scrapes in the process. The pirates book it and run and everyone goes on frantic firefighting duty.

We start to get things under control....and then an infestation pops up in the middle of a new tunnel that was being dug to become private bedrooms(most people were still staying in the communal barracks). Cue me pulling my defense squad off firefighting duty to fight an awful running battle against the infestation that kills or mangles the majority of my animals, leaves one of my colonists missing both their legs, injures several more, and kills Ignat, my researcher. The defense squad, still bleeding and injured from fighting two horrible battles in a row, helps finish fighting the fire. Henry does his best to patch everyone up to ensure no bleedouts.The next day, I mortgage all of my remaining steel and components to begin rebuilding my power grid.

For a day or so I begin the arduous process of rebuilding...and then Randy decides to throw I poo poo you not like 30 manhunting boomrats at me - a threat that would have been easily seen off by the turret nests I was planning to build before I had to rebuild my entire power grid. My brutally mangled defense squad, still bandaged, fights a desperate but useless battle to hold off the little suicide bombing fuckers, but are quickly overwhelmed. Henry and my remaining huskies manage to drag the wounded inside behind my granite autodoors and the remaining boomrats seem content to wander around outside instead of chewing their way in. The remaining boomrats outside slowly die off from the injuries inflicted by my defense squad and the injuries they suffered from blowing up next to each other, but things are looking horribly grim. Everyone is horribly injured except for Henry, and infections begin to spread like wildfire from all the boomrat bites and scratches. Henry patches people up as best he can, assisted by his badly injured and infected wife Toni, but at this point nerves are beginning to fray from the fact that the base is a rubble-covered blood and vomit shitstorm and everyone is horribly injured and sick. The bedridden survivors repeatedly go berserk and attack each other, putting each other into a death spiral where they get injured again and get more pissed off and go berserk again. Henry can't do anything to stop this, because he's a pacifist.

About two days later, I get a sapper raid warning. There is literally no one left on their feet to defend; Henry is the only colonist who isn't bedridden, and he's a pacifist. I assign all the remaining horribly injured dogs and wolves to Henry for a last stand. While the sappers are preparing to raid, I get a warning about a pirate raid simultaneously, coming in from the opposite end of the map. Henry prepares to face the end when I got a message about outlanders from the nearest friendly town arriving to help. This ultimately leads to poor pacifist Henry hugging his dog and watching a titanic gun battle take place outside while his friends die from infection behind him. The outlanders lose the battle and are chased off, though they managed to inflict enough casualties on the sappers that they left after blowing holes in all of my outer walls. The pirates begin breaking through the front door and I have Henry and his dog Yukiko flee to his bedroom, the first private bedroom of the colony, which he shared with his wife, and lock the door. The pirates content themselves with smashing stuff up all through the base and kidnapping the wounded colonists who haven't died of their infections yet....and then they leave.

Henry is saved...but at a horrible price. His wife Toni, lying in bed behind him, died from her infection during the raids because Henry couldn't get to the medicine to treat her while pirates rampaged through the base. After watching literally all of his friends and loved ones die horribly one after another, the pacifist Henry finally goes berserk and attacks the only thing in sight, his loyal husky Yukiko. Unfortunately for Henry, being a pacifist, he really loving sucks at fighting. Yukiko takes a few hits from him before fighting back, at which point she kicks the poo poo out of him and leaves him thrashing and bleeding on the ground. All the food having burned to ash in the raid, Yukiko, his loyal pet, curls up next to him and collapses from starvation and her own injuries and dies. Henry thrashes his life out, utterly alone, in a dark room with the corpses of his pet dog and his wife, until he finally bleeds out.

Thanks, Randy.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

a7m2 posted:

the enemy AI is pretty smart in this game. can someone post some good defense strategies that don't exploit weaknesses in the game too much? guiding them into a hallway is still fine but i don't want it to be like dwarf fortress where you just have a hallway of cage traps that will stop pretty much anything

Seal them in a hallway with a line of burning wooden stools? Tweak number of stools until it raises temperature to 200 C or so, to kill invaders with heat stroke but not set their items on fire.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I started a new colony with new priorities after limping through my first winter. I wanted to grow more food earlier and get heaters/warm clothes going sooner. I think I overcorrected on the food thing.

At one point in this game a pack of beavers showed up so I sent my hunters to deal with them, they shot one beaver and the pack enraged and wiped out my entire colony. I had to roll back a save. This game...

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bunleigh posted:

At one point in this game a pack of beavers showed up so I sent my hunters to deal with them, they shot one beaver and the pack enraged and wiped out my entire colony. I had to roll back a save. This game...

Just had a fledgling colony lost to deer revenge. Had just managed to make my first shotgun, gave it to a skilled shooter and sent him out to bag some game. First deer shot triggered the whole herd (a dozen or so), which proceeded to kill him then rampage through my outer door and walls - tearing into my complex and hallways hunting down and killing every last survivor and pet in my town.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Not to near this extent but Randy is being unkind to me too. My toxic fallout situation and volcanic winter shortly after a blight meant that I had to hoard all the meat possible and bust a gut to get indoor farming set up. Raw meat is looking low and there are only 8 meals left each! Not to fear, though, those crops we threw all our efforts into are so nearly done!

"A mysterious blight has destroyed your crops"

For gently caress's sake.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

a7m2 posted:

I'm not sure what you consider "too much", because that's kind of a sliding scale, but a good early-game defense that isn't really cheesy is just a wall with doors in it every 5 or so spots (use stone doors, they're sturdier), with sandbags right in front of the doors. Stand a colonist with a rifle on each door shooting at approaching enemies over the sandbags. If enemies get too close or if the colonist takes too much damage, retreat them behind the door and send them to another door or to the hospital.

# = wall
- = door
s = sandbag

code:
####-####-####-####-####-####
   sss  sss  sss  sss  sss
You can make the defense stronger by chopping all the trees in front of your wall so that enemies can't hide behind them, laying down concrete in front of your sandbags and under your doors so that fire can't spread to you, moving rock chunks and mining away outcroppings to keep enemies from taking cover in certain spots, etc.

This is easy to set up no-tech no-power early game defense, so it won't work when you're facing late-game stuff where you're badly outnumbered and the enemies have rocket launchers, but it'll let you survive long enough to get to that point. It's pretty good vs. manhunter packs too.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kanos posted:

Thanks, Randy.

:catstare:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The fallout is gone but a nice long eclipse means no way of growing crops. Randy really, really wants my colony to starve. :shepface:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

"A mysterious blight has destroyed your crops"

For gently caress's sake.

Blight would both be less aggravating and make more sense if it only targeted one kind of crop, thus encouraging you to plant a variety of different crops to guard against this sort of thing. Seriously, what kind of blight kills off potatoes, corn, rice, berries, and decorative rosebushes?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I turn off a couple of events because I just find them annoying (mainly power related ones). I also use the less incident trolling mod.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Azhais posted:

It's $45 for your name or $200 for backstory, can buy em straight from the steam page if you want

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

I want to make a girl whose lifelong dream is hauling and cleaning poo poo.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Refried Noodle posted:

I want to make a girl whose lifelong dream is hauling and cleaning poo poo.

The only things preventing you are 200$ and your sense of self-esteem.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Taerkar posted:

I use RedistHeat (I think) and set up a two tier freezer/fridge system with active vents. The fridge side has the meals and the vents are set to 0C. The coolers in the freezer are set to -10C. Tends to keep the freezer arou,d -6 or so and the fridge dances between 1 and 0.

Can you do a little writeup on RedistHeat? I have a freezer I want to keep at one temperature in a core of my base, and would think using ducts would simplify everything. Turns out I can't find a tutorial that's worth a poo poo anywhere and either the losses in the system are so great or I'm missing something that makes the mod actually worth it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not sure what you consider "too much", because that's kind of a sliding scale, but a good early-game defense that isn't really cheesy is just a wall with doors in it every 5 or so spots (use stone doors, they're sturdier), with sandbags right in front of the doors. Stand a colonist with a rifle on each door shooting at approaching enemies over the sandbags. If enemies get too close or if the colonist takes too much damage, retreat them behind the door and send them to another door or to the hospital.

# = wall
- = door
s = sandbag

code:
####-####-####-####-####-####
   sss  sss  sss  sss  sss
You can make the defense stronger by chopping all the trees in front of your wall so that enemies can't hide behind them, laying down concrete in front of your sandbags and under your doors so that fire can't spread to you, moving rock chunks and mining away outcroppings to keep enemies from taking cover in certain spots, etc.

This is easy to set up no-tech no-power early game defense, so it won't work when you're facing late-game stuff where you're badly outnumbered and the enemies have rocket launchers, but it'll let you survive long enough to get to that point. It's pretty good vs. manhunter packs too.

what happens when i do this, is that the human enemies are pretty smart and approach via the blind spots (the sides. by the time i can fire on them i can get like two shots in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah you gotta add walls along the sides so they have to run up to the doors from straight ahead.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kinetica posted:

For issues like this, I draft all the colonists and hit the beavers with a firing squad and have them haul back immediately.

Everytime I've tried to get rid of beavers without using a drafted firing line I wind up with 1-2 dudes getting swarmed down while everyone else is hauling corpses back to the freezer; one of my primary crafters once lost several fingers to this. Just not worth trying to keep the rest of the colony functions rolling while colonists go out to hunt singly if you ask me.

Also, a few days ago I was setting up some farm expansions when I heard what turned out to be a Timber Wolf in a really long combat. I went looking for the wolf with some draftees because I make it a policy to execute any animal which comes near my colony and might wind up eating one of my puppies or rabbits, but I couldn't find it and got distracted. Next game morning, I notice there's a bleeding tortoise chilling near the fields, and on checking out his health tab he's got a couple of bleeding wounds and both of his eyes have been torn out, all from a Timber Wolf.

I think this loving tortoise killed a wolf in self-defense, is what I'm saying. I tamed the poo poo out of that fucker and then a couple of lady tortoises for him to gently caress, because :drat:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Forer posted:

Can you do a little writeup on RedistHeat? I have a freezer I want to keep at one temperature in a core of my base, and would think using ducts would simplify everything. Turns out I can't find a tutorial that's worth a poo poo anywhere and either the losses in the system are so great or I'm missing something that makes the mod actually worth it.

I haven't really done much with the ducts, though they've gotten better with just a simple 'Upper/Lower' system instead of the old method that drove me nuts.

I can only talk about what I mainly use (other than the more aesthetically pleasing regular vents and coolers/heaters). The freezer is set up with a number of small coolers in the wall, venting outside, and they get the freezer down to around -6C or so fairly reliably. There's a number of active vents in the wall between the freezer and the fridge with the yellow side (this isn't as important) on the fridge side. The vents are set to 0.

How the vents work is as follows:

A -> Active Side
P -> Passive Side
t -> Toggle point.

If t is between A and P (either direction), the vent is open.
If t is not between A and P, the vent is closed.

The freezer normally is around -6 or so. The fridge is almost always in the 1-0 range. With the vent set to 0, it'll stay open until the fridge gets to 0, then it closes.

I also use it with some other heat-generating stuff to keep parts of the base from getting too hot, though I plan upon using them later on to set up a proper heat piping network.

Sadly my crazy airlocked system for venting outside didn't work as the heat wasn't propagating fast enough.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Oh no, maneating wargs!

Oh, look, traders with bows, muffalo and arctic wolves :getin:

Sometimes problems solve themselves if you cower long enough.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I had a huge pack of yorkshire terriers appear and join my colony right before a band of traders showed up who, it turns out, were interested in buying some useless lap dogs for like $100 apiece. Score!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

How do you guys deal with the mood hit from harvesting organs? I just took them to replace on my colonists, not even to sell, and everybody's sulking.