Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm allergic to fresh pineapple and strawberries. Tongue swells, roof of my mouth might bleed a bit, and I can't really taste much afterwards, usually goes away by the next day. It also wrecks my stomach for a few hours.

I still loving love fresh pineapple.

Same for me but with kiwi fruit. And I eat the gently caress out of kiwi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cdc how about juice? Can you have a delicious Pina colada?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yes, it's definitely to do with the enzymes. In fact, the enzyme in fresh mango and pineapple is good for digestion in many small herbivores, and is a common cure for digestive upset in them, but canned stuff in excess will kill them (cuz too much sugar).

Dried stuff still has some amount of the digestive enzymes, so watch out.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

bongwizzard posted:

The guy said the gun wasn't loaded, no reason to check for myself.

One of these things is an engine of destruction, designed purposefully to harm things, the other is a plate of food (hope this helps, friend). And I notice you didn't answer the question.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. :)

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

Thanks for the thread back, TB. Ya oval office.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Anyone have recommendations on work shoes? I like a work boot style. Durability is key. I dont mind a bit of upkeep if need be.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Turkeybone posted:

It just had to be the weekend that the owner - who has 20 years' experience and counting - came back from a conference ecstatic about looking into locally sourced products. Just now. The guy whose beer store's slogan includes the words "Shop Local". Oh and he just laid off all part timers and cut hours for full timers at said store. Seems like the right time to start investing in local produce for the slop shop, right?

At the end of the month I'm going on a plane for the first time since 2000 for my first real (and paid!) vacation as an adult, spending a week in Portland/Seattle/Tacoma. Thank you industry for giving me what no call center ever could. Truly an industry I love and hate in equal measure.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

ptkfvk posted:

Anyone have recommendations on work shoes? I like a work boot style. Durability is key. I dont mind a bit of upkeep if need be.

Red Wings, the boots are labeled Worx, I believe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm gonna start making customers bid for who gets the check when multiple people insist on paying.

It's probably best the thread was shut down over the weekend. My kitchen were such horrible gently caress ups Saturday I would have gone into such an anti BoH rant I would likely be on probation at least. I know most of you are great, but I really wanted to loving throttle them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
yeah same, the BoH couldn't loving cook to save their lives and frankly there was a waitstaff who had a turbo meltdown because literally someone said to her "are you sure the docket is right?" and turns out it wasn't so she just went home

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I went from being #3 in the company last month, to 45th this month, all because of 3 conventions back to back of lovely picky eaters. First was a book convention full of neckbeards, and bottom of the barrel sci-fi writers. Second was people that collect expensive as gently caress dolls, and treat them like real people. Then the third was a bunch of line dancing rednecks who order poo poo like a burger "medium, no blood."

And now our F&B Director wants to have a meeting about how to fix it, and refuses to accept that the people filling out survers are just whiny manchildren who just wants to eat well done burgers and chicken tenders all day, and wouldn't actually know good food if it hosed them in the rear end.

So yeah, rough weekend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Recoome posted:

yeah same, the BoH couldn't loving cook to save their lives and frankly there was a waitstaff who had a turbo meltdown because literally someone said to her "are you sure the docket is right?" and turns out it wasn't so she just went home

My kitchen was refusing to cook half the menu because they only had two cooks instead of 3. You can't 86 the entire cold line because you're down a man.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

I went from being #3 in the company last month, to 45th this month, all because of 3 conventions back to back of lovely picky eaters. First was a book convention full of neckbeards, and bottom of the barrel sci-fi writers. Second was people that collect expensive as gently caress dolls, and treat them like real people. Then the third was a bunch of line dancing rednecks who order poo poo like a burger "medium, no blood."

And now our F&B Director wants to have a meeting about how to fix it, and refuses to accept that the people filling out survers are just whiny manchildren who just wants to eat well done burgers and chicken tenders all day, and wouldn't actually know good food if it hosed them in the rear end.

So yeah, rough weekend.

hahahahahaha i'm sorry that loving sucks but holy poo poo

like it's the loving trifecta of goonyness, especially the doll thing thats a real :psyduck:

Skwirl posted:

My kitchen was refusing to cook half the menu because they only had two cooks instead of 3. You can't 86 the entire cold line because you're down a man.

lmao we only don't cook poo poo if we run out of the ingredients. That's pretty hectic though, sound like a bunch o' whiners

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

hahahahahaha i'm sorry that loving sucks but holy poo poo

like it's the loving trifecta of goonyness, especially the doll thing thats a real :psyduck:

lmao we only don't cook poo poo if we run out of the ingredients. That's pretty hectic though, sound like a bunch o' whiners

I'm supposed to tell people they can't have a loving BLT or any kind of salad?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

So yeah, rough weekend.

Sorry man. You can't make lovely eaters suddenly have a non-lovely palate. We had two separate conferences of crabby old white people come through this summer. One day I made some pretty rad as hell pho, and one of those crusty fuckers poked his finger in the bowl and goes, "what the gently caress is this?" :eng99:

All they wanted for breakfast was incinerated bacon (we went through 95# one morning for 450 ppl :suicide:) and unseasoned country hash browns.

It hurt our hearts a lot.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Save me jeebus posted:

Sorry man. You can't make lovely eaters suddenly have a non-lovely palate. We had two separate conferences of crabby old white people come through this summer. One day I made some pretty rad as hell pho, and one of those crusty fuckers poked his finger in the bowl and goes, "what the gently caress is this?" :eng99:

All they wanted for breakfast was incinerated bacon (we went through 95# one morning for 450 ppl :suicide:) and unseasoned country hash browns.

It hurt our hearts a lot.

Actual response:

quote:

Too many spicy food choices. Not enough plain food choices. Why does everything have to have pepper on it?

e: another good one:

quote:

Was so swollen from salted food I had bruise marks on back of legs and saw my Doctor Monday who took blood tests

This might blow your mind lady, but if you need to watch your salt intake, just loving tell us.

But no, it's cool, give me a 1/10.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 16, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Actual response:

This might blow your mind lady, but if you need to watch your salt intake, just loving tell us.

:psyduck: jfc

Customers should never be trusted with quality feedback that is taken without judicious editing from someone who knows better. Like those evaluations should never have landed on the desk of anyone in charge for anything other than a good laugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Customers should never be trusted with quality feedback that is taken without judicious editing from someone who knows better. Like those evaluations should never have landed on the desk of anyone in charge for anything other than a good laugh.

Welcome to the Era of Yelp.

I've been chewed out over reviews that I'm pretty sure were from people at our other location.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Back to the let your server know, and for those of us who will dismiss wayward "Im allergic" notifications from guests who dont seem super worried:

I have a really good friend who 100% suffers from Celiacs disease. He hasn't eaten pasta, bread, or any of that for years because it RUINS him. Like, him and his dad cant touch that poo poo. It was with great lament that he cant, because he was a pizza hound when he was younger, he loved pasta and all that. Then one day, he was basically incapacitated after having two slices and ran to the hospital where he got the news only a late life dairy lover will know.

We went to a restaurant that one of my buddies is the GM for, and let the server know "yo, no bread for this guy, nothing with flour or anything, it will ruin his life".

Server says that's cool, but it wasn't. It wasn't cool guys. We ask and confirm with the server what the bisque is thickened with. I know that my place uses rice, I know other places that use a corn starch, so its a long shot but it was worth the effort, and like, no big deal waiter, the salads look dope. Well gently caress us right? Def flour thickened as deigned by my buddys violent reaction. It starts slow, but man, hes basically crying on the car ride home. My Gm buddy picked up the tab, and offered him a free meal next time he was in, but man, gently caress that waiter. Dude apparently never even asked chef, who is also an acquaintance of mine. My friend had the shittiest (pun intended) day the next day.

I also watched a man choke at the table after the waiter told the line and chef "hey this dudes really allergic to tree nuts, so none of that!". Line left in a pecan and wowee, did that change the tone of the evening.

I guess what I am saying is, suck it up, deal with the weird requests, and keep the stuff out of the dish no matter what. Is that lady allergic to onion? probably not man, just don't use it. It isn't worth the gamble.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

That's just the food quality poo poo. He's not even getting into the folk who order drinks for their dolls or the rednecks addressing the black server as "boy".

The line dancer who ordered ketchup for his salmon seemed content though. Its the little victories that keep ya going in this game.

You have to approach this from the direction of "the customer is always right"

This person says our portions are too big, so maybe put out a separate menu of half portions, okay? We should be able to do this, okay?

the voice is in your head now, you're welcome

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Peanut allergies are tough to avoid because flour is produced in a facility that produces peanuts and aerosolized flour gets into everything to an extent. It's good to not only prepare it as carefully as possible, but to also be realistic and warn them about things you can't control.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Secret Spoon posted:

...two hosed up stories...

I guess what I am saying is, suck it up, deal with the weird requests, and keep the stuff out of the dish no matter what. Is that lady allergic to onion? probably not man, just don't use it. It isn't worth the gamble.

Jesus, those are some hosed up stories, and some hosed up people. I will bitch about bullshit allergies as hard as anyone else, but if someone comes in and tells a server that they're "allergic to red peppers but do we have any green peppers because those are fine?" or that they're allergic to olive oil, you better believe I'm pulling out a clean cutting board and making sure to control everything that touches anything that goes on their plate. It might be bullshit 99% of the time, but anyone who doesn't take every notice of an allergy 100% serious needs to not be in the business of preparing food for other people to eat.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

This person says our portions are too big, so maybe put out a separate menu of half portions, okay? We should be able to do this, okay?

the voice is in your head now, you're welcome

There's a special place in hell for people like you.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Skwirl posted:

We have one girl who will 86 poo poo if she's in a bad mood, and the owners allow it for some reason because they give this girl the majority of hours.

I'm leaving this kitchen at the end of the month, because this girl can't work pantry but she's getting twice my hours- while I work grill and sauté and can't get a crumb of respect.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

virinvictus posted:

We have one girl who will 86 poo poo if she's in a bad mood, and the owners allow it for some reason because they give this girl the majority of hours.

I'm leaving this kitchen at the end of the month, because this girl can't work pantry but she's getting twice my hours- while I work grill and sauté and can't get a crumb of respect.

but do you get down?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Canuck-Errant posted:

but do you get down?

The chances are basically 0% that he does, in fact, get down.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Canuck-Errant posted:

but do you get down?

I date outside of the industry.

Getting down in this biz is not my cuppa.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

It just had to be the weekend that the owner - who has 20 years' experience and counting - came back from a conference ecstatic about looking into locally sourced products. Just now. The guy whose beer store's slogan includes the words "Shop Local". Oh and he just laid off all part timers and cut hours for full timers at said store. Seems like the right time to start investing in local produce for the slop shop, right?

At the end of the month I'm going on a plane for the first time since 2000 for my first real (and paid!) vacation as an adult, spending a week in Portland/Seattle/Tacoma. Thank you industry for giving me what no call center ever could. Truly an industry I love and hate in equal measure.

Woo nice, I did a week in Seattle at the end of July. Where are you gonna hit up?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

There's a special place in hell for people like you.

As a teenly schween I liked the jhonen vasquez conception of hell where it's exactly like the world as it exists, but bagels cost three dollars apiece.

Speaking of which, now that we aren't giving two loaves of ciabatta to each guest thereby enticing them to maybe spend money on an entree, maybe, I'd like to look into maybe giving the guests bagel chips. Because that isn't weird and hosed up at all, in fact lots of people are doing it!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Willie Tomg posted:

As a teenly schween I liked the jhonen vasquez conception of hell where it's exactly like the world as it exists, but bagels cost three dollars apiece.

Speaking of which, now that we aren't giving two loaves of ciabatta to each guest thereby enticing them to maybe spend money on an entree, maybe, I'd like to look into maybe giving the guests bagel chips. Because that isn't weird and hosed up at all, in fact lots of people are doing it!

Give them peanuts and let them throw the shells on the floor, it creates a casual, laid-back vibe

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Actual response:

So...you seasoned your food and they complained. Cool.

I loving hate people.

In other news, our corporate overlords are all freaked out about food illness so we have to put the kibosh on:
- house charcuterie
- house pickles
- smoking meats
- house jams and jellies (actually canning of all kind)
- sous vide (I finally got them convinced, only to be shot down days later).

I kind of want to die.

In other other news, I was invited (along with our EC and catering director) to an appreciation dinner hosted by our #1 VIP client.

It's being catered by a different company b/c the VIP's assistant isn't happy with our catering. My EC didn't alert me to any of the issues until I had already RSVP'd "yes". Of course, he decided he won't go, so now I have to be the face of 100 BoH on my own. Somehow I have to keep myself from drinking during what is sure to be the most awkward professional event of my life. :suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Save me jeebus posted:

I loving hate people.

In other news, our corporate overlords are all freaked out about food illness so we have to put the kibosh on:
- house charcuterie
- house pickles
- smoking meats

I kind of want to die.

In other other news, I was invited (along with our EC and catering director) to an appreciation dinner hosted by our #1 VIP client.

It's being catered by a different company b/c the VIP's assistant isn't happy with our catering. My EC didn't alert me to any of the issues until I had already RSVP'd "yes". Of course, he decided he won't go, so now I have to be the face of 100 BoH on my own. Somehow I have to keep myself from drinking during what is sure to be the most awkward professional event of my life. :suicide:

obligatory post/username combo reply

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
people who dont freak the gently caress out over nut allergies just want to watch guests die imho

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Save me jeebus posted:

I loving hate people.

- house charcuterie
- house pickles
- smoking meats

I kind of want to die.

You should be able to do those house things with proper HACCPs in place, cororate overlords or not.

Also, gently caress going to catering event and NOT drinking. Last one I went to I got absolutely smashed, and had a few KM and sous offers the following week.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Turkeybone posted:

Woo nice, I did a week in Seattle at the end of July. Where are you gonna hit up?

I'm going to figure all that out the week before because if I don't leave most of the time unplanned I'll never enjoy myself. Just going to go exploring more or less, and be high as fuuuuuck doing it. I am making a day out of getting my medical card in OR though because I can't think of a better souvenir.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Save me jeebus posted:

i kind of get the concern with the other stuff, but this is just baffling

unless they think you're too incompetent to properly temp things, in which case all of your food is suspect anyway

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quick poll on everyone's opinions about radishes in tacos.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what else is in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i've had some really good pork belly tacos that had like, finely julienned radish as a garnish.

• Locked thread