Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Summer Transfers
This poll is closed.
Your dad's dick 46 21.50%
Manchesters 20 9.35%
ITK Taff 51 23.83%
What's his name 72 33.64%
London 25 11.68%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah who needs a competent backup, injuries to Arsenals twink squad are pretty rare

are you intentionally being thick as poo poo? we have a backup, his name is gabriel, he got hurt too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

vyelkin posted:

wtf really?

That's right. I expect they want a higher initial payment.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Calm down, wicka

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

wicka posted:

oh wow, THREE weeks, this changes everything

Did you support Arsenal before the brain injury?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kwagga posted:

Calm down, wicka

stop shitposting

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"wenger should have signed a defender earlier, when he had no need to make a signing" - a person who professes to be sane

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
arsenal did need another centre back though

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Wenger did buy a defender earlier though this whole chain of posts makes no sense

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose posted:

arsenal did need another centre back though

:agreed: but it was clear wenger was going to put his faith behind mertesacker and gabriel, as he is wont to do. and considering the defense played well as unit last year and this team has far, far greater needs, it's just not worth the effort agonizing over. his hands been forced now though.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

ah yes, he should have predicted that two of his center backs would be injured a week before the season started. typical wenger.

A club of Arsenal's standing/expected position shouldn't be plunged into crisis with two injured centre backs. There's a big grey area between having 4 world class centrebacks and an adequate number of capable deputies. If you're starting a literal child in defence against a top four rival, you've hosed up somewhere.

What seemed more odd was Wenger not putting Monreal at centre back as cover then someone else in at left back, unless of course Gibbs is injured and Arsenal literally have no one else to cover the left back position in that case.

Get as pissy as you like, but Arsenal's squad depth is woeful considering the number of competitions they're supposed to compete in.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
You got to love Arsenal being Arsenal IMO.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Bruno Peres is having a medical with Roma today. That's a nice signing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

Wenger did buy a defender earlier though this whole chain of posts makes no sense

arsenal always need another defender

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ninpo posted:

A club of Arsenal's standing/expected position shouldn't be plunged into crisis with two injured centre backs. There's a big grey area between having 4 world class centrebacks and an adequate number of capable deputies. If you're starting a literal child in defence against a top four rival, you've hosed up somewhere.

What seemed more odd was Wenger not putting Monreal at centre back as cover then someone else in at left back, unless of course Gibbs is injured and Arsenal literally have no one else to cover the left back position in that case.

Get as pissy as you like, but Arsenal's squad depth is woeful considering the number of competitions they're supposed to compete in.

tell me more about how teams should carry 6, 8, 10? i guess center backs, just in case

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
wicka is cracking up and needs to walk

edit: every arsenal fan was saying from the start of the summer that they were sure Wenger was going to sign a CB because it was such an obvious need.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

tell me more about how teams should carry 6, 8, 10? i guess center backs, just in case

To take an example from my own club, Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Jones, Rojo, Borthwick-Jackson, Carrick and Fellaini is probably the preferred order of people capable of playing at centre back before literal children with no Premier League experience are thrown into the line up.

It's a similar story at the other clubs looking for at least a top four finish. Except Arsenal. Where two CB injuries mean you're starting Chambers and some other infant in a big match.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wicka posted:

:agreed: but it was clear wenger was going to put his faith behind mertesacker and gabriel, as he is wont to do. and considering the defense played well as unit last year and this team has far, far greater needs, it's just not worth the effort agonizing over. his hands been forced now though.

I don't think his hands have been forced, Arsenal have needed quality players for years and here you are

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ninpo posted:

To take an example from my own club, Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Jones, Rojo, Borthwick-Jackson, Carrick and Fellaini is probably the preferred order of people capable of playing at centre back before literal children with no Premier League experience are thrown into the line up.

It's a similar story at the other clubs looking for at least a top four finish. Except Arsenal. Where two CB injuries mean you're starting Chambers and some other infant in a big match.

Don't throw in children with no Premier League experience says fan of club who pride themselves on doing that and are upset that their new manager won't do it anymore, instead choosing to sell them all to Sunderland.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ninpo posted:

yeah idk if playing your midfielders and fullbacks out of position is a great counterpoint? i mean you could make a similar list of arsenal if you include monreal, debuchy, coquelin, but those are all terrible ideas. also we're forgetting koscielny simply being late due to the euros.

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't think his hands have been forced, Arsenal have needed quality players for years and here you are

of all the positions in which arsenal have needed quality players for years, center back is one of least concern, at least recently.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wicka posted:

yeah idk if playing your midfielders and fullbacks out of position is a great counterpoint? i mean you could make a similar list of arsenal if you include monreal, debuchy, coquelin, but those are all terrible ideas. also we're forgetting koscielny simply being late due to the euros.

of all the positions in which arsenal have needed quality players for years, center back is one of least concern, at least recently.

Nice

loving

Meltdown

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Didn't this exact situation actually happen with Man U under Van Gaal and they ended up playing buddy cop duo Blackett and McNair in central defence?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Twat le Piss posted:

Nice

loving

Meltdown

thank you!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

Didn't this exact situation actually happen with Man U under Van Gaal and they ended up playing buddy cop duo Blackett and McNair in central defence?

Is this gonna be a new HBO procedural?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
True but then let's be honest, I like Mertersacker but being out with a knee injury for half a season means he is unlikely to come back at the same level given his age and nature of the injury: never mind how slow he was prior to getting injured. As soon as they knew he was out for that length of time they should have started looking seriously, rather than knee jerking it after Gabriel.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Arsenal should get a new manager.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
arsenal should sack all their players and just start again

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

True but then let's be honest, I like Mertersacker but being out with a knee injury for half a season means he is unlikely to come back at the same level given his age and nature of the injury: never mind how slow he was prior to getting injured. As soon as they knew he was out for that length of time they should have started looking seriously, rather than knee jerking it after Gabriel.

There has been a need for a cb all season and it looked like Arsenal were looming for an experienced cb all summer. Even the mustafi rumors predated mertesackers injury. Holding seemed like one for the future, and I don't think anyone expected him to be the cb we needed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

i agree but it's wenger and it's been obvious for months that he would give gabriel the chance to take mertesacker's spot and sign a younger player as a long term option, which is exactly what he did, and that left us with five center backs. again i would have preferred a more guaranteed solution but koscielny/gabriel/mertesacker/chambers/holding is fine, especially if you assume chambers plays as well as he did in the few center back appearances he got last year, and that holding never has to start, which is obviously not how it turned out. it's easy to complain with the benefit of hindsight (who itt was melting down claiming arsenal desperately needed a central defender three months ago?) but it's clear we had far bigger holes in the team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Bruno Peres is having a medical with Roma today. That's a nice signing.

That is pretty good, I wonder if Torino will have time to find a replacement. That's two of their starting defenders (although Peres is more of a wingback) gone this summer, and Maksimovic went AWOL earlier this week.

MSwen23
Jan 20, 2012

Frankston posted:

Yeah. It's not official yet but our owner has tweeted that it's just a case of getting his work visa sorted out now.

There was also an article in which Lyden was quoted saying he had a good conversation with Mile at Bodymoor while he had his medical.

The can't pass comment is worrying having watched Westwood for years, but I do suppose (pray to God above) he can't be worse?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

Don't throw in children with no Premier League experience says fan of club who pride themselves on doing that and are upset that their new manager won't do it anymore, instead choosing to sell them all to Sunderland.

sad but true

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wenger doesn't understand that modern football needs a squad not a team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star Error posted:

I remember this.

United have been playing children with no experience all over the place for ages.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

wicka posted:

far more concerned about getting a central defender tbqh

lol just lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But those kids played for United so they must be good.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bea Nanner posted:

There is noise about Arsenal sniffing around Wolfsburg left back Ricardo Rodriguez. He's already said positive things about Arsenal to the press, and now german site Kicker (don't know how much of a rag this is) are claiming an enquiry has been made. I think there is room for improvement at LB, but it probably means Gibbs would leave. But another CB should be the defensive priority. Who knows.

e: And he's made very clear his intentions to leave the club.

rofl just rofl

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

wicka posted:

well i agree that we definitely need a CB, arguably more than any other position. gabriel had a poor second half of the season but so did most of the team; i'm not ready to write him off yet. chambers played really well in his few appearances but definitely needs more time. that leaves us with exactly one center back i have any confidence in.

running out of acronyms just running out of acronyms

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"another CB should be the defensive priority" doesn't mean more than a forward, lmao (you can use that acronym)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
well i agree that we definitely need a CB, arguably more than any other position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Wenger doesn't understand that modern football needs a squad not a team.

yeah, which is yet another result of him being unwilling to challenge his current players for fear of hurting their feelings.

• Locked thread