Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lonk posted:

Because I'm right and people are making this pretty casual MMO into something that sounds harder than it really is. The only "angry" part about any of it for me is when some people take it to the point of wanting to exclude or poo poo on others for playing how they wish and act like if you're not ~optimal~, you're totally poo poo at the game. I've had pleeeeenty of times where I got called out by goons for my gear/stats/skills/etc even though I do perfectly fine in PvE and that poo poo is rather dumb. This game is not exactly rocket science and about the only place where you "need" to be "optimal" in any capacity is raiding or the rear end-end of high level fractals.

The stuff about Guardians was in the context of high level fractals.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

CPC is a projectile block, and Guardians are no longer allowed in t4 fractals due to light fields becoming self-aware and plotting to destroy groups, so you may as well have at least one of your four Reapers do something helpful besides stand near mobs that happen to be dying.

tyblazitar posted:

It's more about the inevitability of all fractal bosses having 100% retaliation uptime if any guardian is allowed in.

(tyblazitar was also talking about T4s, though it's less obvious. The boon thief instability only exists in T4s)

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So how about Mesmers in high level fractals? I dig Reaper and Druid a whole lot but I'm pretty sure Mesmer is always going to be my main. What should I do to be as helpful as possible?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Harrow posted:

So how about Mesmers in high level fractals? I dig Reaper and Druid a whole lot but I'm pretty sure Mesmer is always going to be my main. What should I do to be as helpful as possible?

Mesmers are all about making GBS threads out alacrity and quickness through wells now.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Utility_DPS

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Trashcan posted:

Should I use my lvl 80 boost on my necromancer? At 37, it is now my highest level character, I like playing her, and I think it would be cool to start some end game content. Am I going to be gimping myself by skipping 40+ levels?

Also, I was in voice chat for some sort of SFD guild event on Wednesday night but I didn't participate because I had no idea what was going on =O

tbh, I wish I used my 80 boost on my necro rather than my rev. Rev is neat but WELLS

My only two non 80s are Necro and Ele and those are both how I like to wvw

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Serenade posted:

tbh, I wish I used my 80 boost on my necro rather than my rev. Rev is neat but WELLS

My only two non 80s are Necro and Ele and those are both how I like to wvw

Revenant is so weird because, on paper, I love everything about them. If they could get some pets or orbitals, I'd be in heaven.
Except... it didn't click with me.

I know that is vague but I constantly felt like every other class did aspects of it better. Maybe it's because I was full power build but it seemed anaemic. That was just after release so maybe they are better now.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Harrow posted:

jjac posted:

Mesmers are all about making GBS threads out alacrity and quickness through wells now.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Utility_DPS

Yeah this, although I find I'm always changing poo poo around though depending on the fractal, there are few places where ports are nice or sometimes you'll want an extra stun or stunbreak or reflect or whatever. It's pretty fun.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I want to start running more dungeons and fractals with my ranger, but I'm not sure I want to just be a healbot. Could I combine my Longbow/Sword+Axe power build with the druid so I could use something else than the staff, more like just using druid utilities (+ the avatar) combined with the power play style?

My personal fractal level is about 20, but I've been building AR in case my guild mates have a spot for higher levels. It's annoying when everyone else is just doing T4. Although I've managed to build my AR to 124 with +8 and +9 infusions, but haven't infused my backpack or attuned my rings (because I don't have the ingredients).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If your baseline is 124, you can get a potion (Anguished Tear of Alba) that'll jump you to 139, which is enough for most T4 fractals.

Also this build might be exactly what you're looking for, based on what you said, given that it's specifically S/A+LB and Druid utilities + Avatar for heals. Their food and sigils are dumb though. The Sigil of Force is fine, replace Sigil of Night with Sigil of Water (30% chance on hit to heal allies around the target on a 5s cooldown, the heals will help you build Celestial Force), and I'd replace the food with Omnomberry Pie (66% chance to steal life on crit, and the heal from stealing life builds Celestial Force).

I'm not 100% sure you need the extra Celestial Force generation from food on a power build (I'm more experienced with condi druid than power druid, and you definitely need it on condi druid) so take my food recommendation with a grain of salt, but if you find yourself often lacking in Celestial Force don't be afraid to pop some Omnomberry Pie, it's only 3s70c for a half hour, which is basically a negligible cost compared to what you make doing T4s. Screw DPS consumable though, 60s per Seaweed Salad is ridiculous.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 16, 2016

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Alternatively if you do wvw at all, get the provisioner item. I put one in one of my shared slots. It can be used anywhere to trade 5 badges of honor for a food or consumable equivalent to the level 70 versions of most major food types. Super veggie pizza for 20% condi duration? ~30 silver. Veggie pizza for 18% condi duration in a can? 5 badges. Seaweed salad with 10% bonus damage while moving? ~60 silver. Canned salad with an 8% bonus to damage while moving? 5 badges. It's nice. Badges are super easy to get, especially if you have the wvw mastery that causes enemies to drop bonus badges. It's not uncommon to get 3-4 badges from kills.

Also, side note, I totally main a guard in t4 fractals. I'll admit to popping the occasional retal, but it's not a huge issue typically, and I find my ability to wreck breakbars, tighten enemy groups, and pump out protection is great. When you have more than one viper necro, the occasional boon thievery really isn't a big deal with all the scepter autochaining going on.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The 'Druid is a healbot' memers didn't actually stop to look at the abilities before bailing to a less popular hipster class in anticipation of a wave of new Ranger players. Staff camping with healing power gear is only really useful for learning raid groups who are still getting hit by a lot of avoidable damage, otherwise Druid just makes you a regular Ranger with a bit less personal damage but massive group damage buffs and CC train that happen to heal allies in the process. AoE dazes from Glyph of Equality and Lunar Impact, Path of Scars pull, Lightning Wyvern charge launch, Natural Convergence slow/immobilize (and surprisingly high power damage) and blind spam from seeds let you pretty well lock down groups without breakbars. The only time in Fractals I'm really looking to heal people is on bosses and even then it's not worth spamming wimpy auto heals at them.

Magres posted:

I'm not 100% sure you need the extra Celestial Force generation from food on a power build (I'm more experienced with condi druid than power druid, and you definitely need it on condi druid)

Power Druid actually generates force slower than Condi because force comes from each damaging or healing strike, so a shortbow druid quickness autoing with 5 strikes from Poison Volley thrown in will charge up their bar a bit faster than sword autos. The Metabattle pages suggest Sigil of Water for power druid but not condi, unless it's the dual axe/torch setup.

The safest option is to just let your DPS suffer a bit and keep a staff in one of your weapon sets, even just Solar Beaming through a crowd charges up Avatar incredibly quick.

Priapus Unbound posted:

Alternatively if you do wvw at all, get the provisioner item. I put one in one of my shared slots. It can be used anywhere to trade 5 badges of honor for a food or consumable equivalent to the level 70 versions of most major food types.

Also if you're a turbo nerd, badges are technically worth about a silver each (buy Badge of Tribute from the WvW vendor in the guild hall and list them on the TP) so you can actually craft your own Super Veggie Pizzas or Hardened Sharpening Stones for cheaper.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
I hope I'm not the only person who is relieved the Storm Bow is in the Gem Store because this means I can actually get it instead of desperately hoping I can find the time to do a bunch of achievements.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I hope I'm not the only person who is relieved the Storm Bow is in the Gem Store because this means I can actually get it instead of desperately hoping I can find the time to do a bunch of achievements.

I main a ranger and I played GW1, so it was kind of a "shut up and take my money" situation immediately. It looks really good.

And thanks for the ranger tips. I tried the aforementioned build and it felt good, although the range of the glyphs kinda requires stacking with allies even more and it's something to get used to.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I don't know what the druid pve trait lines are, but in wvw I do not struggle with staff damage or celestial generation due to high quickness uptime via beastmastery's zephyr's speed and WHAO being on a synchronized cooldown. Usually I am waiting on avatar to come off cooldown to get back into it.

Is beastmastery used in raids fractals and the whatnot?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, I never thought about using shortbow's crazy auto seed to build CA juice. I've mostly been camping axe/torch. That will help out my vipers CA generation, which I was having trouble with. Granted I did just finish getting the cactus fruit salad recipe, which makes this kinda moot.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
PvE you pretty much always run Skirmishing for Spotter and Quick Draw, then Marksmanship for an easy 25% damage boost with power builds or Wilderness Survival for poison damage and the offhand trait for condi. Beastmastery is a solid third place for solo PvE, but it gives you a bunch of constant healing pulses and burst potential as well as pet survivability for PvP where they don't get the cleave protection, plus sustained pet damage while you're kiting people.

Sprite141 posted:

Oh man, I never thought about using shortbow's crazy auto seed to build CA juice. I've mostly been camping axe/torch. That will help out my vipers CA generation, which I was having trouble with. Granted I did just finish getting the cactus fruit salad recipe, which makes this kinda moot.

It's also assuming you're dipping into CA for as little time as possible, just to stack Grace of the Land and maybe hit a breakbar, but testing shows SB A/T to be better than just dual A/T in pretty much any situations where you can flank for the shortbow auto.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 16, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I remember hearing something about a raid-viable condi DPS ranger (ie not Druid) build, I wonder if that runs Skirmishing, Wilderness Survival, and Beastmastery.

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah you want/need to be switching weapons for quick draw. When you swap into A/T, hit Torch 5, then your other abilities, then hit Torch 5 again. Camp A/T and mash buttons until Torch 5 is down to 10s left on cooldown (or like 13s if you have alacrity) then switch to Shortbow and quickdraw your Shortbow 4, then hit Shortbow 2 and spam autos until Shortbow 2/4 come back up and hit them on cooldown until weapon swap comes back up, then switch back to A/T and repeat.

Cactus Fruit Salad helps a ton too, but it doesn't obviate the need to switch weapons to proc quick draw - if nothing else, you lose a ton of DPS by not using quick draw, which pretty much kills the whole point of bothering with condi druid.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well I wasn't going to get into it, but what I meant by camping axe was that when I need to use staff I tend to switch shortbow out for it. Nit that I don't quickdraw. I try to only use staff as a utility weapon, which gives me a bit of a CA generation loss as I switch out asap.

Maybe I really should drop my current staff for a full on magi staff instead.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4xpoe3/i_found_a_present_in_my_home_instance_today/

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Well I wasn't going to get into it, but what I meant by camping axe was that when I need to use staff I tend to switch shortbow out for it. Nit that I don't quickdraw. I try to only use staff as a utility weapon, which gives me a bit of a CA generation loss as I switch out asap.

Maybe I really should drop my current staff for a full on magi staff instead.

Oooh okay that makes way more sense. I was pretty baffled at the idea of you not using quick draw on SB/A+T Druid after raiding a bunch on it :cheeky:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I decided to shuttle my other two level 80's out to Bloodstone Fen, but neither had much of the map explored. I used teleport to friend for the first, them decided to blow some dust on a portal scroll while just assuming a scroll would be single use. It isn't. Glad I wasted a teleport!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Is this a goon? They state in one of their posts that their raiding guild is BURD.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I used my level 80 boost on my Engineer which may have been a grave error in judgement.

Any pro Engi-strats?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Priapus Unbound posted:

Is this a goon? They state in one of their posts that their raiding guild is BURD.

There are non-goons in BURD, also it could be there is another BURD out there... :ms:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same, but kilograms

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ManSedan posted:

I used my level 80 boost on my Engineer which may have been a grave error in judgement.

Any pro Engi-strats?

Have you looked up the Engineer Handbook? It's maintained by a new guy now, but yes Engineer is so complex that a fan compiled all the tricks and tips over the years into it's own website. It can be found here now: http://www.sheriffsauer.com/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ha, engineer is stupid simple.
Fast Kits, flamethrower, rocket boots and that purple elixir.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Ha, engineer is stupid simple.
Fast Kits, flamethrower, rocket boots and that purple elixir.

Pffft, look at this scrub. My top tier engi strat is to equip flamethrower and tape down my 1 key. Flamethrower trait optional.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh poo poo drat. U should write a guide.

I booted up my Necro again. Running around and not really getting why my damage was low and no crits.

Dire gear, woops.
Reequipped my princess scepter and dagger and laughed and laughed and I could not be killed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to replace my carrion poo poo but don't know with what.

I want to put forth as little effort as possible.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Pffft, look at this scrub. My top tier engi strat is to equip flamethrower and tape down my 1 key. Flamethrower trait optional.
Took down a treasure mushroom the other day with an engi who used this strategy. Can confirm top tier status.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have tried to flamethrower 1 most open-world events and can regretfully announce that it loses a lot of effectiveness when the bosses in question are the kind that can shoot back

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i tried to engi and am lucky i play a charr because the skill hidden pistol allows me to shoot myself

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kessel posted:

I have tried to flamethrower 1 most open-world events and can regretfully announce that it loses a lot of effectiveness when the bosses in question are the kind that can shoot back

If you're a Real Pro you can try something risky and press flamethrower 3 on cooldown as well, and try and hope the timing matches up with the boss attacks

This is an advanced tactic, though, so in the meantime keep on hiding inside red circles until you feel confident enough to try another button

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dreggon posted:

i tried to engi and am lucky i play a charr because the skill hidden pistol allows me to shoot myself

Condi Elementalists are currently so bad that the Charr racial utility Shrapnel Mine is a gigantic DPS increase.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flamethrower 4 at your own feet and then Rocket Jump is a good way to stack might.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flamethrower is Good and Cool you plebs

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Flamethrower is Good and Cool you plebs

If your flamethrower is cool you are using it wrong

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nah dude. Flames so hot they feel like Tom Jane is caressing you with a popsicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the Chronotank Mesmer build as fun as it sounds? Obviously one would need to really know raid encounters to tank 'em (and I haven't even started raiding yet) but I'm tempted to work on building up the Commander gear required to do that if it's actually a cool and fun way to play Chronomancer.

• Locked thread