Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Photex posted:

https://youtu.be/vxvmnE57xPk

here is my POV from the Ace Gaming match, it was a lot better than the VOD with the terrible casters.

this is cool tfp (thanks for posting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm guessing it's hardware since it's a brand new thing, but anyone have any ideas on what would cause this so I can avoid RMA hassle if it is a software problem?

New computer, fresh Windows out of the box, updated video drivers, install Steam, install CS, verify CS successfully.

Load any map offline, no bots, can barely walk across a map before the screen goes black, followed shortly by a hard lock.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Does this only happen in CS? If not then I'd give it a fresh reinstall or possibly try and rollback your GPU drivers.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It also sounds like overheating, if it doesn't happen in some system intensive game maybe not. The tech savy goons in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=80#lastpost could probably help a bunch if you give them your specs and details.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Does this only happen in CS? If not then I'd give it a fresh reinstall or possibly try and rollback your GPU drivers.

I think I'm stuck with the RMA. After spending a while with drivers and such, I gave into waiting an hour for Windows to do its thing with a fresh wipe/recovery/whatever it's called in Win10, then went straight to a driver update, Steam install, CS install, verification of CS to the same result. I've only tested CS as being connected over mDP to a 144Hz screen and spending time Netflix in bed are going to be how 98% of its operation time is spent. e: before the Windows re-do, I rolled back drivers to an older set that was hosted from Asus themselves and same thing persisted

Goofballs posted:

It also sounds like overheating, if it doesn't happen in some system intensive game maybe not. The tech savy goons in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=80#lastpost could probably help a bunch if you give them your specs and details.

Overheating is plausible with how it acts, but this is going from a time frame of launch game, load map, run around map. It's going blank and then locking up literally in less than 2 minutes of game play. Either way for a brand new gaming branded laptop if it's overheating this quickly that's not something I'm going to tear into to fix, it's going back.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I had a latop go bad like that before but it was after like 3 years of fairly heavy use. I'd still recommend asking that thread in the future or now if you get your refund. They should at least be able to point you in the direction of reliable hardware. I made my current box with some of their recommendations that saved me a bit on price.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah I've got my solid built desktop in my basement, but that's wired to a 50" plasma. This laptop is being used to connect to a new speedy LCD panel for CS and other laptopish stuff. If the replacement also shits the bed, then I'm just going to get a big screened tablet, put together a small ITX box for this monitor and be done with the current idea.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Well, this isn't as earth-shattering a roster change as the Fnatic/GODSENT swap yesterday, but Allu replaced fox in FaZe, meaning that the only original member left from the Kinguin days is rain. Maybe they'll become legends again.

I want to believe. :norway: :finland: :sweden: :france:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I say Faze should kick Kio and jkaem and replace them with a Danish and an Icelandic player. Time to complete the true Nordic dream team. :getin:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Smol posted:

I say Faze should kick Kio and jkaem and replace them with a Danish and an Icelandic player. Time to complete the true Nordic dream team. :getin:
Aizy's Danish, so now they just need to recruit pallib0ndi.

Brilladelphia
Jun 26, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah I've got my solid built desktop in my basement, but that's wired to a 50" plasma. This laptop is being used to connect to a new speedy LCD panel for CS and other laptopish stuff. If the replacement also shits the bed, then I'm just going to get a big screened tablet, put together a small ITX box for this monitor and be done with the current idea.

I bought my sister a laptop recently and her's had a similar problem fresh out the box like yours. After a bunch of troubleshooting it turned out to be a hardware fault (processor iirc, might be wrong) and we just returned it and got a new one sent out which works fine.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
valve please ban everyone who rotates sites on dust CT side through T spawn

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://nip.gl/news/2016/annoucement-regarding-player-injury-on-jacob-pyth-mouruj%C3%A4rvi

"Pyth has a broken hand and we're using disco doplan for pro league"

surc
Aug 17, 2004

HIko just read an email ESL sent out on his stream; All valve sponsored events are limiting coaches to talking in warmup, half time, and 4 30-second timeouts throughout the game (Coaches or players can call them), and ESL is going to follow that as well, starting with ESL NY.

:rip: coaches

surc fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 17, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Not a bad change imo. Think it's a tiny bit bullshit that you can employ a 6th purely to strat call and focus on tactics while all five players just focus on playing. Part of what's cool in CS is how important a team's IGL is when it comes to reading the game and opponents while playing the game itself. It also demonstrates how well a team communicates. As usual though I have no idea why Valve would be pushing this specifically.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't think this is RIP coaches at all. That still allows for a lot of reading from the coach; it can still be a big difference maker.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Value of players like pronax, seangares, gob b, adreN and ex6tenz (maybe) just went way up. Also lol at c9 who just benched Slemmy and are about to pick up autimatic in his place. Also NaVi who benched Zeus and picked up s1mple

RIP DaZeD :smith:

NiKo now the most valuable player in the world??? Also Fallen and shox????

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 17, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hiko's ending his stream by going over his thoughts about how different teams will be impacted, kind of interesting to hear.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

exethan posted:

http://nip.gl/news/2016/annoucement-regarding-player-injury-on-jacob-pyth-mouruj%C3%A4rvi

"Pyth has a broken hand and we're using disco doplan for pro league"
:getin:

surc posted:

Hiko's ending his stream by going over his thoughts about how different teams will be impacted, kind of interesting to hear.
I would love a brief summary of his thoughts, since I'm at work and can't watch it.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Well, it's not a summary of all the details he was saying, but here's the text file he wrote out while talking about it:

The "******" are the ones he thinks are especially hurt by it, the "?" category is he's not sure on their IGL situation.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
free my niggas dazed and steel

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

surc posted:

Well, it's not a summary of all the details he was saying, but here's the text file he wrote out while talking about it:

The "******" are the ones he thinks are especially hurt by it, the "?" category is he's not sure on their IGL situation.

Any significance in the order or the spacing between Renegades and Navi?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

sterster posted:

Any significance in the order or the spacing between Renegades and Navi?

that divides the na and eu teams lol

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Smithereens posted:

that divides the na and eu teams lol

Thanks, totally didn't pick up on that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Reminder that ESL Pro League Season 4 started today. You can catch the new line-ups of FaZe, CLG, Liquid, and Cloud 9 in action today, as well as NiP with disco doplan.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

Not a bad change imo. Think it's a tiny bit bullshit that you can employ a 6th purely to strat call and focus on tactics while all five players just focus on playing. Part of what's cool in CS is how important a team's IGL is when it comes to reading the game and opponents while playing the game itself. It also demonstrates how well a team communicates. As usual though I have no idea why Valve would be pushing this specifically.

How is it bullshit? American football, for example, has a coach to dictate the general direction of the game, while the Quarterback is able to dictate the moment to moment.

By allowing the coach to dictate the big picture stuff, this allows to the QB to focus on the game, while still allowing some tactical breathing room. I see CS as being similar.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I do too. That's kind of what a coach does. I think in tennis the coach is not allowed to communicate with the player except at designated times, for example.

Plus I think Valve's statement that they want CS to be a 5v5 sport, not a 6v6 sport, has inherent merit.

It's a good change.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

How is it bullshit? American football, for example, has a coach to dictate the general direction of the game, while the Quarterback is able to dictate the moment to moment.

By allowing the coach to dictate the big picture stuff, this allows to the QB to focus on the game, while still allowing some tactical breathing room. I see CS as being similar.

lol at citing to american football as an example of something reasonable and appropriate for sport

(authors note: esports are not sports)

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
People crying that this destroys CS. That's bull, they're acting like innovative CS didn't exist before the slow encroachment of external coaches in the game.

I'm all for the change. CS is still going to be there, same nutty plays.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Dat flashbang into a defuse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FaZe just got 16-0ed on Cobble.

Again.

:cripes:

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
Nobody views basketball as a 6v6 sport because they have a coach who can call plays and yell at them while on the floor; the argument that having a coach makes CS a 6v6 game is equally absurd. You still only have to kill 5 people to win the round.

Having a coach leading the team means that every team can have 5 impact players, instead of one guy who has to do all the in-game thinking and calling PLUS trying to keep his fragging up. It's a natural progression for any sport, IMO. Sometimes as a spectator it's a real drag to watch gob b buy an UMP every round because he knows he's useless as a fragger. The coach just calls the plays, he doesn't micromanage what players do in 1v1s. And as far as I know, every pro team on the stage at any major LAN can afford a coach, so there's no fairness argument.

On the other hand it does act as a huge impediment to non-professional teams trying to climb the ranks. If you can't afford a coach as a team it becomes almost impossible to knock even a low-tier pro team out of their spot. At that point, the extra man becomes an unfair advantage. The 76ers are never going to get demoted to the D-League, as much as they may deserve to be.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

real dilemma posted:

If you can't afford a coach as a team it becomes almost impossible to knock even a low-tier pro team out of their spot. At that point, the extra man becomes an unfair advantage. The 76ers are never going to get demoted to the D-League, as much as they may deserve to be.

Also because the NBA lacks a relegation system...Much like the ESL Proleague.

Guess we're more alike than your analysis proves.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I think the decision is more interesting than it is really good or bad, the bad part is that this is another instance of valve being all "Oh hey btw pros, the game is now totally different, have fun!" without getting input beforehand.

CS is also vastly different than basketball and american football, because a game of CS does not take place in a giant flat rectangle with no obstructions to vision beyond other players, and the goal is not something you need to get past other players to get to, it is largely about eliminating the other players. (I mean technically you can get a bomb plant/defuse without killing people but there's the element of the re-take and all sorts of other factors that aren't in sports as a whole)

Also:

Famethrowa posted:

This is not a good comparison, because this change makes CSGO way more like american football now with the coach's role. Previously the coach could be dictating the moment to moment, and now they can't, they have 4 timeouts in which to discuss things with the IGL/QB.

surc fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 17, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

FaZe just got 16-0ed on Cobble.

Again.

:cripes:

hahahahah

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

surc posted:

This is not a good comparison, because this change makes CSGO way more like american football now with the coach's role. Previously the coach could be dictating the moment to moment, and now they can't, they have 4 timeouts in which to discuss things with the IGL/QB.

Most coaches I see in CS are pretty quiet during rounds. They seem to know better then to do callouts when the IGL should be. This rule makes it so they can't talk before and after rounds, which is dumb.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Famethrowa posted:

Most coaches I see in CS are pretty quiet during rounds. They seem to know better then to do callouts when the IGL should be. This rule makes it so they can't talk before and after rounds, which is dumb.

Going along with the dumb football (american) argument, coaches can actually talk to the QB between plays, they have microphones that allow QB, coach, assistant coach and offensive coordinator (maybe others) to quickly chat between plays

But, sports =/= esports so meh

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MF_James posted:

Going along with the dumb football (american) argument, coaches can actually talk to the QB between plays, they have microphones that allow QB, coach, assistant coach and offensive coordinator (maybe others) to quickly chat between plays

But, sports =/= esports so meh

Counterstrike is the one esport that hews pretty closely to RL sports in terms of structure. At least, it's the most simple and least video gamey.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

that's because we took away their in game sound in Columbus, AFAIK they used to be able to hear in game stuff as well but slowly coaches have been getting snipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Which teams rely on the coaches most? Nip, liquid, navi anyway I think. Anyway I guess it buffs the pronaxes of the world