Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Were you hanging out with the lost boys?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

"just relax baby we need this to save our relationship"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I see the Eugenics wars left some deep scars.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I liked when Voyager went back to 1996 and Janeway was like "Well Tom we will be relying on your encyclopedic knowledge of the 20th century more than usual to get us through this pickle!" Then when they beam down and start interacting with real people and not historical 20th century holograms they realise Paris knows gently caress all

"Groovy!"

"Secret agents blah KGB blah"

"I studied at Starfleet Academy...doh...I mean east coast school"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah that was an effective bit of SHOWING rather than TELLING that Paris' 20th century fandom doesn't hold up. If he actually knew history then he wouldn't have made the KGB gaffe, but he clearly doesn't beyond a general sense of "late 1900s."

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

The first time they got home they went back in time to watch Sarah Silverman be wacky and to wear 90's clothes (especially Tom) and steal a holo-emitter from Ed Begley Jr. but when they went back to the 24th century they were in the delta quadrant again for some reason.

They went back again to watch Janeway's whiney lesbian grandma fight the building of a giant millennium penis on her uncles apartment building or something.

Then they went back again and Janeway got a teaching job at ITT Tech but then Tuvok had congenital space madness so Janeway had a flashback then a flash-forward then a flash-sideways until she was blowing up the Borg transwarp conduit because somehow that prevented Tuvok's space madness and the Doctor could marry a real lady.

All this despite the time the Jeffries tubes turned into time tubes and Janeway saw that Voyager was still in the DQ when the Borg boy Icheb was an adult and plowing Naomi Wildman.

:prepop:

this is not convincing me to not continue watching all of Voiyager

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm watching DS9 "Past Tense" and I'm really enjoying this BC character. They should have found a way to keep him on the show permanently just constantly trying to kill people and saying crazy poo poo and adjusting his hat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also if you made somebody watch DS9 ep 1, said "Which of these characters do you think gets his leg blown off, gets PTSD, and eventually gets mostly over it with holograms?" no way could anyone ever guess that correctly.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

criscodisco posted:

The first time they got home they went back in time to watch Sarah Silverman be wacky and to wear 90's clothes (especially Tom) and steal a holo-emitter from Ed Begley Jr. but when they went back to the 24th century they were in the delta quadrant again for some reason.

They went back again to watch Janeway's whiney lesbian grandma fight the building of a giant millennium penis on her uncles apartment building or something.

Then they went back again and Janeway got a teaching job at ITT Tech but then Tuvok had congenital space madness so Janeway had a flashback then a flash-forward then a flash-sideways until she was blowing up the Borg transwarp conduit because somehow that prevented Tuvok's space madness and the Doctor could marry a real lady.

All this despite the time the Jeffries tubes turned into time tubes and Janeway saw that Voyager was still in the DQ when the Borg boy Icheb was an adult and plowing Naomi Wildman.

The first time they asked to be left at earth and the time guy that took them there is like "Sorry temporal prime directive your asses have to go back the gently caress where you came from. Exactly."

Janeway's ancestor was like, The A plot about some old rear end in a top hat refusing to let the millennium gate be built because he didn't like that it had stores in it. The B plot was that Janeway thought her ancestor was some earth Hero, building that gate and then making the mars missions possible in the 2030s. Turns out she was some fired engineer that was dirt poor and wanted a book store owners dick and convinced him to not be the worlds' biggest rear end in a top hat and take millions of dollars and a free replacement store for selling his old one. Had nothing really to do with anything. This somehow surprised Janeway since apparently nobody in her entire family bothered to do a google search on their ancestor and instead told folk tales about being descended from greatness. That was just a flashback.

The ITT tech job was that Voyager made it home 7 years after when Season 7 took place, but Tuvok died of space Aids after like 4 of those years. So old crusty Janeway travels through time, sends voyager through a borg transwarp thing 7 years earlier than it was supposed to so Tuvok won't die (ending the series as well)

The time tube episode I think is explained that was 17 years later and by then Starfleet had Slipstream figured out and would just go to the Delta Quadrant all the time.

Also Don't forget the time Harry crashed voyager into an ice planet, killing everyone except him and Chakotay who got to Earth. Captain Laforge blew them up though and reset the timeline.

Also Harry Kim traveled into a parallel universe where he was an accomplished scientist and railing his hot fiance on earth but decided he needed to get back to the show timeline.
:goonsay:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

he's assigned as an officer to the voyager because they're going back to the delta quadrant to establish official ties with all the aliens voyager met back in the day and he's the only one from the old crew who is willing to go. then everyone above him dies so he gets to be captain

What species they'd encountered wouldn't shoot at them on sight?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah that was an effective bit of SHOWING rather than TELLING that Paris' 20th century fandom doesn't hold up. If he actually knew history then he wouldn't have made the KGB gaffe, but he clearly doesn't beyond a general sense of "late 1900s."

It's like when people play 80s Trivial pursuit and then get slammed because all they know about is pop-music, cartoons and commercials but know gently caress-all about Perestroika/Glasnost and all the other hugely important events that occurred from 80-89

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

What species they'd encountered wouldn't shoot at them on sight?

I would say the Ocampa but they all starved to death and nobody ever mentioned them again.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I would say the Ocampa but they all starved to death and nobody ever mentioned them again.

"It's vitally important to the Federation that we make contact with this race that's going to die out in a few generations!"
"Really?"
"Actually, I'm just hoping we can get Janeway to go on the mission and get permanently lost this time, before she causes another diplomatic incident with the Vulcans."
"... I though the Vulcans were part of the Federation?"
"They were until Admiral Janeway paid them a diplomatic visit."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Id1aUCkDoM

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Wait a minute... how did they survive without the caretaker? They had enough supplies to last 5 years and then... what?

Voyager's bad writing gets worse all the time.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Met posted:

Wait a minute... how did they survive without the caretaker? They had enough supplies to last 5 years and then... what?

Voyager's bad writing gets worse all the time.

He filled their batteries and then caved in the hole they lived in... so... ya... :shrug:

Look, sometimes you just have to drown the bag of puppies.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 16, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Ocampa are a terrarium-dwelling race. Their stupid bullshit thrives if self-contained and they are allowed to ingest the decay byproducts of their own species in a closed loop.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm watching DS9 "Past Tense" and I'm really enjoying this BC character. They should have found a way to keep him on the show permanently just constantly trying to kill people and saying crazy poo poo and adjusting his hat.

that's the one star trek story that is guaranteed going to loving happen irl within the next 25 years

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hey, between the cardies and the romulans, who was more technologically advanced?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Romulans had ship cloaking where Carsassians did not.
Romulans could detect a fake Cardassian optolythic data rod.
Romulans could make a distilled spirit palatable to more than a single race.
Cardassians had superior filing systems.
Cardassian males eschewed the sciences.
Cardassian and Romulan brain-implant tech seemed to be pretty much on par given Garak's pleasure switch and Geordie's mind-control assassin radio

As much as I prefer the Cardassian peoples, I'd have to go with the Romulans.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cardassian and Romulan brain-implant tech seemed to be pretty much on par given Garak's pleasure switch and Geordie's mind-control assassin radio

blah blah professionals study logistics etc

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Everyone hates Cardassian cuisine, even Cardassians. Technology was second rate, scientists were under the control of the military and supervised by the Obsidian Order so their could never hope to match the Federation's technical expertise. Their justice system was a farce. Dr Bashir finds Cardassian literary classics "boring". Their empire is smaller than the Federation, Romulan and Klingon Empires respectively. They couldn't drive the Klingons or maquis out of their territory until they joined the Dominion and got the Jem Hadar to help them. Everybody hates them because they were mean to the Bajorans for fifty years

Pretty cool architecture though
Best Star Trek race

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

probably demons in bed since they are the vulcans that got kicked out for being too depraved and emotional

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My sister is staying with me for a few days, and yesterday she asked why I turn on Voyager before I fall asleep. So I turned on an episode of Voyager, and she fell asleep.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also Harry Kim traveled into a parallel universe where he was an accomplished scientist and railing his hot fiance on earth but decided he needed to get back to the show timeline.
:goonsay:

I'm pretty sure the only reason Tom Paris was in that ep was so they could do this dumb joke:

:v: "I'm going to Marseilles, France!"
:bigtran: "Why?"
:v: "I have to see Paris!"
:bigtran: "But you said you were going to Marseilles!"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh Libby was the worst in that episode. She only existed to have baths and whine gently in Harry's ear

""Haaaarrry"

"Haaaaaaaaaarrrry"

Don't keep dating your college gf Harry Kim particularly if you're posted on a ship the other side of the alfafa quadrant

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Man I didn't remember any of this Season 7 poo poo, why is Harry such a little bitch.

He yells at a Klingon woman who wants to bone him, but then he runs away like a little scared bitch and lets Neelix have her.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Figaro posted:

Pretty cool architecture though
Best Star Trek race

I thought of a long list but it all boils down to the fact that Cardassians are better at antagonizing O'Brien so they win by default.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Urgh, why is every Gul Dukat episode after Waltz such a letdown? Some of them aren't even bad, like the one where he prank calls Kira to say he hosed her mother, but they just aren't as good as the ones before his psychotic breakdown.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The writers were irritated by the fact that people on Usenet were believing Gul Dukat's bullshit and found him to be a sympathetic character so they made him cackling batshit insane evil to make it clear he's meant to be a villain. Which for those of us who aren't literally nazis kind of ruined his character.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I remember some (hopefully minority) of DS9 fans back in the day wanting a Dukat/Kira romance. Particularly during season 4 and 5, it was all pretty gross. Mmm genocide of my peoples what a turn on!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Endbringer posted:

My sister is staying with me for a few days, and yesterday she asked why I turn on Voyager before I fall asleep. So I turned on an episode of Voyager, and she fell asleep.

It's great, isn't it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Figaro posted:

I remember some (hopefully minority) of DS9 fans back in the day wanting a Dukat/Kira romance. Particularly during season 4 and 5, it was all pretty gross. Mmm genocide of my peoples what a turn on!

I like how they taunted those fans with the episode where Dukat gets Ziyal back. He and Kira have all this goofy antics going on in the cave where they "bond", and then Dukat immediately follows it up by declaring vengeance on everyone who wronged him after the moment passes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pretty sure Dukat creeps on Kira multiple times.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

cheerfullydrab posted:

Pretty sure Dukat creeps on Kira multiple times.

*ring ring*

hey major kira, dukat here. i banged your mom

*end transmission*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Figaro posted:

Supposedly some of the writers wanted that to happen and Nana Visitor basically had to tell them she'd straight-up refuse to do any such thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No one ever remembers that time a concentration-camp survivor fell head over heels for hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
What do you think Cardassian music sounds like? The only musical tastes we've really observed in ST races is Klingon Opera.

Thinking that it's mentioned in-universe that their hearing isn't as keen as humans (probably from their ears being just an evolved tympanic membrane), I'm thinking Cardie music probably has a ton of bass and fast-driving beats.

Spoonheads would love industrial and dubstep.