Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, can daylight white LEDs be used like CFLs for lighting plants? Does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I just saw a thing on youtube showing that LEDs don't have as good a spread of light as CFLs; the wavelengths are probably fine so its more whether you're getting sufficient coverage for your tank or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWRT3X_uPE

Also not sure how much impact the lamp holder (or plastic pot lol) has, it still looks like the CFL beams out all over the place while the LED just goes straight down.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 15, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was more worried about the light wavelengths if they were wide enough for plant growth as well.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Is this a good place to say I LOVE ghost shrimp so loving much?!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SynthOrange posted:

I was more worried about the light wavelengths if they were wide enough for plant growth as well.

I think most led lights made for plants tend to have extra led's to fill in the blanks (so, red specific leds basically).

ANUSTART posted:

Is this a good place to say I LOVE ghost shrimp so loving much?!

yes

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Right now I've got a 75g heavily planted tank with current occupants of 10 cory catfish, 3 clown loaches, and maybe 30 neon tetra (currently in quarantine because they're new).

Any recommendations for my next fish? I wanted something a little flashier/larger but will still get along with the current fish.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

sharkbomb posted:

Right now I've got a 75g heavily planted tank with current occupants of 10 cory catfish, 3 clown loaches, and maybe 30 neon tetra (currently in quarantine because they're new).

Any recommendations for my next fish? I wanted something a little flashier/larger but will still get along with the current fish.

Tetraodon mbu :smuggo:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think red rainbowfish would look pretty badass in that tank. The males are red and gold mottled, and very sparkly. Here is one I've got in my planted 90g community tank. (pic is while he was in QT)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Enos Cabell posted:

I think red rainbowfish would look pretty badass in that tank. The males are red and gold mottled, and very sparkly. Here is one I've got in my planted 90g community tank. (pic is while he was in QT)

I need this, I have a bunch of rainbows but this guy is beautiful.

I also have an amazing snailsplosion! Thousands of MTS and rams horns. So I added 15 assassins and they are murdalizing the gently caress out of these little guys.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.

I love the way they steal food from my cory catfish and scuttle directly up with their ridiculous bodies, like giant dorks

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
What's the current go-to high-quality canister filter these days?

I have a heavily planted 70G/260L Fluval Osaka that's on a custom stand ( hardwood & steel for longevity to replace the lovely original laminate ) with a Fluval 405 canister.

The new stand is quite a bit higher - it's 40" from the top of the canister to the top of the tank, and so I had to cut new hoses that are 50" each. We made this change ( what a nightmare moving a stocked 260L tank from 1 stand to another ) almost a year ago now and at first the flow was definitely reduced but still sufficient with an additional HOB to have a good overall current. Now however I think the 405 is dying because even running it with literally no media ( temporarily ) inside, I can only just barely feel it coming out of the outflow. At this point the HOB is generating most of the current.

Obviously this low flow is not good for the plants or the fish, so I need a new canister ASAP.

Initially I thought of sticking with Fluval and going to a higher rating one ( the G6 looks really cool ) but I can't confirm where they are made and the reviews are spotty - best filter ever! vs. worst filter ever didn't last 5 months!. My wife insists something like Eheim will be better because they are made in Germany but there aren't many reviews and the few there are all give 4 stars, saying it's great BUT and listing things like hoses being too stiff, no way to adjust the outflow/spray bars and so on. Then there's the cheapo SunSun's which seem to get great reviews, but again are made in China and thus apparently not worth it.

Either way, due to the length of hose and height the flow has to go up I'm looking at filter that are "good for" 120G+ because I still want a good flow rate ( and most of these big ones you can just reduce the flow anyway ).

What would you suggest?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FWIW my fluval 206 has been going great for years now. I did bust the priming stick but they send me a new head unit free of charge anyways, so at the very least the customer service seems to be pretty great still.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got an Eheim 2217, a Fluval FX-5 and an AquaTop CF-300 (same as the SunSun). They have all been in use for years now, and I can't say I've really had a problem with any of them. The FX-5 is the easiest of them to start, while the Eheim can be real finnicky. For the money, it's hard to beat the AquaTop/SunSun/clones. I like it better than the Eheim I've got, and it cost a lot less.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
How often do you all change out the media in your canister filters? I've had mine running for a few months now so I've never replaced any the pads or carbon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I almost never change the media, apart from some filter floss. Otherwise I just clean the sponges as well as I can. They're a bit discolored but they still stop stuff just fine.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I just bought some Seachem Flourish and wantonly dumped half a cap into each of my 29 gallon tanks. There should be no adverse effects from doing that, right? Per the instructions that is the correct amount to dose each tank but I've been reading horror stories of people waking up to dead fish after the first dose.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 19, 2016

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pandas have been hit or miss for me for loving years. I get from farms, they die. From breeders, they last a little longer but die. Anywhere else, die sooner. I honestly think they, like so many awesome cats (looking at you C. perugiae), don't ship well and just aren't bred as strong as the aeneus cories. Or paleatus. gently caress I had wild caught elegans cories (awesome and they are dimorphic too!) that lasted through everything, including three different shipments and trials of pandas. Pandas are cute but pandas suck.

I got one panda cory from a LFS in 2012 that lived through about 5 different tank changes and didn't die until earlier this year due to (I assume) massive depression resulting in negligence to my tank. I guess they are hit or miss when it comes to hardiness. I want to get a bunch more now that I actually give a poo poo about fish-keeping and my hobbies in general again.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

How often do you all change out the media in your canister filters? I've had mine running for a few months now so I've never replaced any the pads or carbon.

I rinse my media once a year in tank water to remove the debris,the 2 sponges I'll rinse one again in tank water every 6 months as in rinse I give it a few squeezes.The sponges are blue,if they are no longer blue and just black after a rinse it's time to swap in a new one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I freaking jinxed myself earlier, and snapped the water shut off lever on my AquaTop clean off last night.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
My cory catfish are breeding like crazy. It's like an insane fish orgy going on in my tank and there are eggs (non-snail eggs) plastered on the glass. At least 10 I've seen so far just on the front pane.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

My cory catfish are breeding like crazy. It's like an insane fish orgy going on in my tank and there are eggs (non-snail eggs) plastered on the glass. At least 10 I've seen so far just on the front pane.

The infamous T position,read up about it one of the strangest and impressive fertilisation methods.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There haven't been any more problems with my corys, even the trilineatus that had a very thin tail has fattened up enough that I have trouble picking him out now. No sign of breeding behaviour but I suspect they might all still be too young, aside from the surviving original panda, she's huge compared to the others. Hard to pinpoint what happened differently this time aside from the shipping was in cooler weather, and they seemed in better shape when they arrived. I think I fed them up better while they were in quarantine too, and had a bigger and better quarantine set up.

I'm torn between wanting to see breeding behaviour and knowing I'm keeping them in good condition, and worrying that the pandas and trilineatus will hybridise - if I'd known it was possible I probably wouldn't have kept the two species together.

I've seen three different sizes of juvenile glass shrimp though! Seems like the one shrimp that I thought was berried forever has probably been two separate females who are constantly breeding. Shrimplets are surviving even if I haven't really been seeing the process, I suppose they are all much more active at night.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 21, 2016

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
So, my cousin is getting a 75 gallon set up to raise cardinal tetras since his catfish died recently. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him some rough gemstones specimens to make his tank pop just a little more. Any recommendations on good stones to use?

Right now I'm thinking something like a halved quartz geode.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

WombatCyborg posted:

So, my cousin is getting a 75 gallon set up to raise cardinal tetras since his catfish died recently. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him some rough gemstones specimens to make his tank pop just a little more. Any recommendations on good stones to use?

Right now I'm thinking something like a halved quartz geode.

To raise them or keep them? Breeding tetras isn't easy.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think a lot of shiny/sparkly stuff that looks good in air loses some of that effect when under water, due to the lesser difference between the refractive index of the item and water vs the item in air. Kind of hard to find an example of what I mean, but this will do:

The glass pebbles underwater are really indistinct vs the inset picture when they are in air. A white/clear crystal like quartz might end up being even more indistinct. Quartz is aquarium safe though as far as I know. Another consideration to keep in mind is that coloured crystals become coloured due to the inclusion of metals during the formation of the crystal, and while I don't know how likely it is that such metals would leech into the water in an aquarium, it could be harmful to the inhabitants if they did. Lastly, a decent sparkly crystal cluster could have some pretty sharp edges which again could be harmful to a fish. So while geodes are super cool I'd be cautious putting one in an aquarium.

Had a fatality today, the guppy I'd been treating for white patches and had pretty much fully recovered, jumped out of the hospital tank through the a tiny gap in the lid at the end of the light, and was a floor chip by the time I found her. I'm quite sad to see her go, she was quite distinct among my other female guppies due to her slightly wrong elongated shape. I noticed her as an odd looking fry and put her out in the pond for green water and sunlight, where she grew to adult size and was among the last fish I brought inside at the start of winter. Just a dumb way to die but apparently insane jumping is what guppies do to spread to new bodies of water so she was only doing what comes naturally. One giant leap for guppy kind.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I am ridiculously excited about my new tank. The plan is to start a betta sorority and name them all really stereotypical sorority-girl names. Becky, Jessica, Kendra et al will be sharing a spacious planted 65G. Everything I have read has emphasized the need for enough hides and space for them to establish their own turf and get away from each other (just like a real sorority house :allears:), which shouldn't be that hard with the setup that I have planned. Any general tips for pledge week?? Additional name recommendations also appreciated, as I'm shooting for 6 or 7 girls to help distribute the aggression.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Asstro Van posted:

I am ridiculously excited about my new tank. The plan is to start a betta sorority and name them all really stereotypical sorority-girl names. Becky, Jessica, Kendra et al will be sharing a spacious planted 65G. Everything I have read has emphasized the need for enough hides and space for them to establish their own turf and get away from each other (just like a real sorority house :allears:), which shouldn't be that hard with the setup that I have planned. Any general tips for pledge week?? Additional name recommendations also appreciated, as I'm shooting for 6 or 7 girls to help distribute the aggression.

Brittney, Samantha, Casey, Kaley, Mercedes, Royalty.....I also vote in some cories for ground crew. Name them after nerds!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Fuckin fish. I had something happen in my goldfish aquarium. I have no idea what. Both my fish just died. I test water parameters constantly and everything is within range, but they both started floating erratically two days ago, I did a water change, tested again, everything fine, dead this morning. They have been in there for almost a year, no new additions of plants or animals or decor in 6 months, weekly water changes of 30%

I'm stumped.

So I'm going to break this tank down completely and disinfect the whole thing and set it up as a reef with just coral and inverts. So far my living room community tank is doing just fine.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Recent water change? I'd be suspicious of something new either in your water supply or maybe something like neighbours setting off a bug bomb and the fumes got into your tank somehow. Really sorry to hear that your goldfish died, they are usually tough as balls once established. Is there any obvious difference between your tanks, ie the community tank is covered better, or you stagger your water changes and haven't done that one yet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, is your locale doing any pipeworks or having water supply issues?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Stoca Zola posted:

Recent water change? I'd be suspicious of something new either in your water supply or maybe something like neighbours setting off a bug bomb and the fumes got into your tank somehow. Really sorry to hear that your goldfish died, they are usually tough as balls once established. Is there any obvious difference between your tanks, ie the community tank is covered better, or you stagger your water changes and haven't done that one yet?

I haven't done a water change on the community tank, it was planned for this weekend. But I did top it off when I did the emergency change on the goldfish. The only really big difference is the community tank hasn't torn all the plants apart like the goldfish always did, so it has a large plant load in it.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, is your locale doing any pipeworks or having water supply issues?

Not that I know of, but San Antonio is huge so there is always the chance SAWS is doing something somewhere. I will probably just get 15 gallons of RO to do the water change in the CT just in case.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I also vote in some cories for ground crew. Name them after nerds!

Okay now I very much have to do this

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Fuckin fish. I had something happen in my goldfish aquarium. I have no idea what. Both my fish just died. I test water parameters constantly and everything is within range, but they both started floating erratically two days ago, I did a water change, tested again, everything fine, dead this morning. They have been in there for almost a year, no new additions of plants or animals or decor in 6 months, weekly water changes of 30%

I'm stumped.

So I'm going to break this tank down completely and disinfect the whole thing and set it up as a reef with just coral and inverts. So far my living room community tank is doing just fine.

So Texas is pretty hot right now I imagine, any chance of a power outage and the temp spiking?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ColHannibal posted:

So Texas is pretty hot right now I imagine, any chance of a power outage and the temp spiking?

No I work from home. No power outages. I really don't know what could have done it aside from some kind of infection or something got into the water. I started dosing antibiotics when they got sick just in case. Put in the last dose yesterday. Then I tore down the tank, scrubbed everything, cleaned all the filters and replaced the media except for the matrix and added peat moss pellets where the phosgen was.

After that I hit the LFS and grabbed a bunch of new Amazon swords and ghost shrimp and some new cool pieces of driftwood. Redesigned the aquascaping and planted it all with new substrate (bunch of stuff I had leftover and some new sand basically). Got it all set back up in a new config and am just waiting for the giant Indian Almond Leaves I ordered from Amazon today.

Yes this bitch is going black water and it's going to be sexy. Just need to get it fully cycled again and start buying gouramis to make sweet sweet tea colored water love.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Sooooo I guess I'm not a good fish keeper. I had 2 giant danios that were floating odd and very pale colored in the community tank a few weeks ago and just in case they were sick I took them out and chucked them in the pond. 400 gallon good filtration etc.

They were spawning.

My pond is chock full of Danio fry right now.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
loving eheim 2217 priming.

So today,i visited my other halfs dads house because her brother is away and he's just got into tanks to my delight.Some tetras and a pair of Apistogramma agassizii. So do a water change because he's suffering from horrible algae all over his glass which is caused by the blinds being up all day and night and sunlight hitting the tank. I cycled his tank for him and told him the importance of WCs and maintenace. His tank is filthy,I do a 50% WC which I rarely do on mine cos I wanna suck up all that freshwater I've scrubbed off with my magnet cleaner for glass. I even buy him a bottle of prime and live mosquito larvae to cheer em up.
This gives !e the urge to clean my filter,Ive neglected it for 5 months. The Eheim 2217. I fill my two basins up of tank water for my mechanical and Bio sintered glass wash. Give them a rinse, replace a sponge and add new filter floss,shes ready to go,(canister empty) hook it back up and suck on the outlet for a sec,cannister fills, Sounds good,plug that poo poo in then I near a terrible garrgling,air is caught between the head of the filter. 7 times I empty my eheim of water,not a drop and suck on the intake, not once does the air gently caress off. I finally figured d a vid with as many likes as dislikes,He recommends filling the canister up with valves open so the water spurts out when you seal it. Do it,plug it in,gargles for 10 secs then sound and flow is perfect. Thanks neutral like dislike dude,thumbs up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lord Kinbote posted:

loving eheim 2217 priming.

So today,i visited my other halfs dads house because her brother is away and he's just got into tanks to my delight.Some tetras and a pair of Apistogramma agassizii. So do a water change because he's suffering from horrible algae all over his glass which is caused by the blinds being up all day and night and sunlight hitting the tank. I cycled his tank for him and told him the importance of WCs and maintenace. His tank is filthy,I do a 50% WC which I rarely do on mine cos I wanna suck up all that freshwater I've scrubbed off with my magnet cleaner for glass. I even buy him a bottle of prime and live mosquito larvae to cheer em up.
This gives !e the urge to clean my filter,Ive neglected it for 5 months. The Eheim 2217. I fill my two basins up of tank water for my mechanical and Bio sintered glass wash. Give them a rinse, replace a sponge and add new filter floss,shes ready to go,(canister empty) hook it back up and suck on the outlet for a sec,cannister fills, Sounds good,plug that poo poo in then I near a terrible garrgling,air is caught between the head of the filter. 7 times I empty my eheim of water,not a drop and suck on the intake, not once does the air gently caress off. I finally figured d a vid with as many likes as dislikes,He recommends filling the canister up with valves open so the water spurts out when you seal it. Do it,plug it in,gargles for 10 secs then sound and flow is perfect. Thanks neutral like dislike dude,thumbs up.

Man the marinelands you just pump the button a few times and it's ready to go.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sooooo I guess I'm not a good fish keeper. I had 2 giant danios that were floating odd and very pale colored in the community tank a few weeks ago and just in case they were sick I took them out and chucked them in the pond. 400 gallon good filtration etc.

They were spawning.

My pond is chock full of Danio fry right now.

I reckon your instinct was good and they were stressed or unwell. Spawning danios from what I've seen doesn't involve odd floating, it involves chasing and thrashing around and circling and entwining. They probably got triggered to spawn by the change of scenery (or temperature or chemistry). I've saved a few sickly fish through pond therapy myself, not sure if it's the sunlight, fresh algae or live insect food that helps but it does seem to do them some good. Congrats on your new pond population! Depending how cold it gets and how deep your pond is you can probably let them live there permanently. They'll probably be quite happy in a big school in your pond.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Man the marinelands you just pump the button a few times and it's ready to go.

When life gives you lemons bro. I bought it,its an excellent filter I'd just wish it had a prime option,its super easy to clean though it does have its merits just wish air would gently caress off when I'm dealing with tubing and water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lord Kinbote posted:

When life gives you lemons bro. I bought it,its an excellent filter I'd just wish it had a prime option,its super easy to clean though it does have its merits just wish air would gently caress off when I'm dealing with tubing and water.

I have the same model on one of my tanks, and I put off maintenance on it way longer than I should just because it's such a pain in the rear end to get going again.