Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iirc the new units are like, barely edited versions of existing units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How long does a Grand Campaign usually run? I got to turn 130~ and had accomplished basically none of my major goals.

And is that Radious mod pretty popular? It seems to add a lot of unit variety and redo some balance stuff. New units seem cool, but I don't know if people generally think it's balanced well or not.

I think the base game by itself has enough variety and I really don't like what I've read about the changes the Radious mod makes, but as with all mods it's up to you whether you want to use it or not and may be someone else here can give you more info about it. I will say that unlike a lot of games I really don't feel like the base game is broke in such a way that any mods are considered requirements. Personally the only mod I sometimes use is one that gets rid of the AIs public order bonus at high difficulties. I like that the AI has to worry about rebellions and I like that certain agents who are normally useless against the AI (most agents that cause - public order) are useful again.

Grand campaign length can vary greatly from faction to faction and game to game. I would say that most I play typically last 80-150 turns or so, but I've had campaigns that last over 200+ turns and some that end even quicker. Certain factions like the greenskins have harder/longer ultimate victory objectives than others. My beastmen campaign lasted well over 200 turns, mostly because I only had a couple of hordes and no town management so turns went by quick, and also because the ultimate win condition of 'raze 50 settlements' can take a long time.

Also, the game length can vary greatly depending on the actions of the NPC factions that you have no control over. For example, if the Dwarfs take over the southeast the VC campaign can potentially drag on a long long time as you siege them out of the mountains.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How long does a Grand Campaign usually run? I got to turn 130~ and had accomplished basically none of my major goals.

And is that Radious mod pretty popular? It seems to add a lot of unit variety and redo some balance stuff. New units seem cool, but I don't know if people generally think it's balanced well or not.

The lengths of campaigns are very variable, depending on who you play and what strategy you pursue. On the quick end you can probably complete a Chaos campaign in 50 turns with certain strats. On the long end well... yeah. I think generally if you know what you are doing you should win about turn 130-ish yeah.

Radious is rather poorly regarded, its changes are not well balanced.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Do vassalized awakened tribes ever rebuild the razed villages in their province?

Yeah, in my last chaos game i've had three awakened tribes (including the first) take over the entire north, you just need to give them a push, build them up and once they get one, they'll start snowballing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

And why is Bretonnia playable in battles but not in the campaign? Is there a mod that will conveniently add them to the Grand campaign?

Their buildings and quests aren't done but their units are. All of their buildings are dummy copies of empire buildings that just produce Bretonnia units when a Bretonnia AI controls them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Their buildings and quests aren't done but their units are. All of their buildings are dummy copies of empire buildings that just produce Bretonnia units when a Bretonnia AI controls them.

Has CA said they're going to release them as a faction in the near future? Perhaps at the fair price of $25.00? I really dig cavalry armies, so I was pretty bummed they're not in the Grand Campaign.

I see a mod, Bretonnia my Prater, anyone have any experience with that?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Has CA said they're going to release them as a faction in the near future? Perhaps at the fair price of $25.00? I really dig cavalry armies, so I was pretty bummed they're not in the Grand Campaign.

Bretonnia will be free.

I will say after beastmen im concerned about CA focusing on providing real value for their paid dlc. The beastman faction is alright in the grand campaign and pretty fun to play as, but their mini campaign is awful. Most people balked at their asking price and in retrospect i think that was fair. Leave out the mini campaigns or expand them into something more akin to CiG or Hannibal.

With the broad opportunities for expansion i hope CA makes an effort to provide deep and replayable value at fairer prices. Adding more factions to an already cramped grand campaign isnt going to cut it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I feel like it was still worth $17 or whatever it was, really.

That said, the mini-campaign was definitely not on-par with CiG or Hannibal mostly because you only have the one faction with the one set of objectives. In exchange, beastmen are infinitely more worth their portion of the price than 3 c/p factions. Like, with CiG it was "awesome mini-campaign with a bonus 3 factions!" whereas this is more like "awesome new faction with a bonus mini-campaign"! The bonuses aren't terrible in either case but they're not exactly what they could've been either due to budget just not being there. I imagine most other factions they'll be giving packs to rather than full stand-alones are inherently going to let them strike a better balance, budget-wise, due to unit models and animations not eating up so much of it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

I will say after beastmen im concerned about CA focusing on providing real value for their paid dlc. The beastman faction is alright in the grand campaign and pretty fun to play as, but their mini campaign is awful. Most people balked at their asking price and in retrospect i think that was fair. Leave out the mini campaigns or expand them into something more akin to CiG or Hannibal.

I enjoyed the mini campaign for the beastmen.
Sure it could've been better and has little to no replayability, but thought it was ok for what it was.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tequila Sunrise posted:

That Bretonnia mod is definately the best 'play as Bretonnia mod that exists.

Also if you are playing Beastmen or Bretonnia and want some variety down south, The Southern Realms is a pretty well done mod that mixes up the human factions down there. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=708051537&searchtext=

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I really need to just take some time and look at a giant map of the world and all the factions. I've never been into Warhammer Fantasy so I have no concept of the geography and factions.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I honestly don't even want to think about how much I'd be willing to pay for the races I want the most (Skaven and Ogres).

Some stupid amount.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I really need to just take some time and look at a giant map of the world and all the factions. I've never been into Warhammer Fantasy so I have no concept of the geography and factions.

Make sure it is this one.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

fnordcircle posted:

I honestly don't even want to think about how much I'd be willing to pay for the races I want the most (Skaven and Ogres).

Some stupid amount.

I rationalize the price by telling myself it's probably cheaper than buying all the miniatures.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

I rationalize the price by telling myself it's probably cheaper than buying all the miniatures.

Easily. poo poo, the RULEBOOK is the base price of the game alone, if you're lucky.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Constantine XI posted:

I rationalize the price by saying if I buy all of the DLC they probably intend to release, I will only have paid $250 for a computer game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I downloaded the Bretonnia mod and holy god it takes so long to get cavalry. I'm on turn 50, crushed Mr. Lion the Lionheart and Artois and I've just now got cavalry and can't even gently caress with the Undead to the east of me. poo poo is rough.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Some stupid amount.

For me it is basically "Take my money CA", since this is the game I have wanted ever since I played Shogun and WHFB in the 90s.
The Beastmen DLC was pretty great and 17 USD is hardly any sum (like 2 beers or so) for the play value.
After a 5 year stint playing WoT, this is nothing.
Can't wait for the Skaven and the Dark Elves.

Dark Elves and Lizardmen should come in the same DLC, especially since both factions use Cold Ones?

Have there been any information on how the Wood Elves will play?
Haven't played WHFB since 2d or 3d Ed, but they don't really have settlements?
So will they be a Horde army without the constant raiding/razing part of Chaos/Beastmen?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I want this style of game, just in warhammer 40k with cover mechanics programmed in..

Do chaos in the fantasy version of warhammer have different gods like Slaanesh/Nurgle/Khorne/Tzeentch?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nope, same gods

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I want this style of game, just in warhammer 40k with cover mechanics programmed in..

Do chaos in the fantasy version of warhammer have different gods like Slaanesh/Nurgle/Khorne/Tzeentch?

Nah, you want the Wargame engine for Wh40k.
Although with a better campaign system than Wargame has.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Though in the current canon, after Chaos won and destroyed the world, Slaanesh is out (the Mary Sues of the Elves became Gods and Slaanesh was bloated from consuming all the souls of the Elves at once, so he/she got squatted) and the Great Horned Rat, patron of the Skaven, is in (though his portfolio doesn't really digress in any real way from Nurgle or arguably Tzeentch).

Four Score fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 16, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Read: Slaanesh was removed because GW thought it would make it more likely that parents would buy the figures for their children

Not that it matters either way since this game is based on the setting as it was before all that happened.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Nope, same gods

There's a bunch of other 'gods' who may or may not exist - Ulric, Morr, Sigmar, etc. Plus the Horned Rat (who definitely exists), and maybe Malal.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a bunch of other 'gods' who may or may not exist - Ulric, Morr, Sigmar, etc. Plus the Horned Rat (who definitely exists), and maybe Malal.

The elves (pre Age of Sigmar) also still have most of their original pantheon hanging around, which in 40k was mostly eaten by Slaanesh. But I think they're under a commandment not to interfere with mortal affairs, so you don't really see them doing a whole lot.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Perestroika posted:

The elves (pre Age of Sigmar) also still have most of their original pantheon hanging around, which in 40k was mostly eaten by Slaanesh. But I think they're under a commandment not to interfere with mortal affairs, so you don't really see them doing a whole lot.

Tell that to Bretonnia.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I thought it might be fun to give Ironbreakers guns instead of blasting charges. Turns out I was right to think that.

That was three full stacks of late game Orcs with Azhag and Grimgor. Two units made it into melee range and died as soon as they got there.

Guest starring Thorgim Grudgebearer, four organ guns, four cannons and two gyrobomber squadrons I modded to have 5 units so they're actually useful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm having a tough but enjoyable time figuring out what's the most satisfying thing you can do to a Marauder Horsemen unit after you catch it in a net:

1) Handgunner volleys
2) Helblaster dumping everything
3) Charging them with a Knight unit that couldn't catch up until now

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
ubercrunchy and Wookums replays are in:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aRlNURzRqX2xTOE0/view?usp=sharing

First round is another Dwarf vs Beastmen match-up. Minotaurs have less health than a unit of Gors so they are something of a glass cannon when it comes to being shot at, but in this match they weren't targeted by the Quarrelers again, which allowed them to savage the Dwarfen infantry. Nonetheless the Beastmen army was too small to outlast the Dwarfs in a fight. I suspect those BM characters could have had some abilities removed to cut costs, or one less unit of Minotaurs could have paid for multiple units of Gors. I wouldn't overlook Bestigors either. This was another close one though, mainly due to the questionable decision of the ubercrunchy to split up his Dwarf units rather than keep them together, which almost allowed Wookums to make a comeback with his chariot micro.

In the second BM vs VC round, a bunch of Minotaurs with great weapons make it difficult for Mannfred to get anything done on his zombie dragon. Mr. Wookums may have benefited from sniping the BM wizard or general early on with an overcasted Spirit Leech, but instead they only managed to cast a wet fart of a Wind of Death. Effectively shutting down the Vampire flanking and aerial charges is a great way to beat them since they they often lose a straight-up grind.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I thought it might be fun to give Ironbreakers guns instead of blasting charges. Turns out I was right to think that.

That was three full stacks of late game Orcs with Azhag and Grimgor. Two units made it into melee range and died as soon as they got there.

Guest starring Thorgim Grudgebearer, four organ guns, four cannons and two gyrobomber squadrons I modded to have 5 units so they're actually useful.

That's cool! Did you just port the thunderer stats? Ironbreakers could take pistols instead of shields on the tabletop, that sounds like a fun mod.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nah I made a custom projectile for them. It's just a rounded up version of the projectile the thunderers use with the range of a crossbow. Their melee stats are exactly the same as Ironbreakers plus a little AP. They're OP as hell but sometimes it's fun to just gun down a horde of angry greenskins.

I might try giving them pistols but the only pistol model is for the empire so, I dunno, might not work with the skeleton.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
So are Gelt's spells pretty much useless (buffs notwithstanding)?

I'm wondering if it's worth going down that skill tree for just buffs that may or may not prove a difference in the battlefield. I feel like a VH Gelt playthrough requires more an investment in the red tree and not his spell tree. Maybe blue just for lightning strike eventually. This is mostly to get through a rough early start of getting quadruple teamed by Secessionists, Marienburg (gently caress Marienburg), Orcs, and Beastmen. :downs:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Tried my hand at a bit of post game commentary of the matches between me and ZearothK, there's some issues with recording not starting in time and other amateur hour stuff, but hopefully worth a watch regardless, the forum doesn't like me trying to link the playlist itself, but there's one for all three rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW06mGwzYHA

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
What Bretonnia units do they still need to add? Questing Knights for anti-large, armor piercing cavalry. Grail Pilgrims for a tarpit infantry line. The Fay Enchantress and a couple of different lore damsels. Maybe peasant bowmen with flaming arrows.

I really just want questing knights more than anything else, they would really help against some of the things I have the most trouble dealing with, such as demigryphs and Gorebulls.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Grail Reliquary as a sort-of monster. The Green Knight as.... a summonable unit?

peer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 16, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
They are really only missing two units - questing knights and grail pilgrims and two LL choices. But they are missing quite a few variant choices for units that do exist (great weapon ap cav in particular) and blessings/banners.

When they are added into the grand campaign I could see their unique faction mechanic be based around applying different blessings of the lady to your units. Maybe even replacing the standard vet system (although I don't think they have ever strayed from the vet=stat increase formula).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 16, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, hitting a specific veterancy threshold must turn your Handgunners into FotS-era riflemen. I just played the Reikland Runefang battle, and my 4 Handgunner units killed 800 out of 1300 dead Norsemen in total. My cavalry didn't even get to do a thing except run down a netted Warhound unit.

EDIT: Even then, they still didn't deplete their ammo with rank 3 Pistolkorps. I can't imagine what sort of battle would let them empty their reserves if I had researched the +ammo tech.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2016

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus, hitting a specific veterancy threshold must turn your Handgunners into FotS-era riflemen. I just played the Reikland Runefang battle, and my 4 Handgunner units killed 800 out of 1300 dead Norsemen in total. My cavalry didn't even get to do a thing except run down a netted Warhound unit.

EDIT: Even then, they still didn't deplete their ammo with rank 3 Pistolkorps. I can't imagine what sort of battle would let them empty their reserves if I had researched the +ammo tech.

Veterancy really elevates them but handgunners are the masters of wildly swingy battle performance for sometimes non obvious reasons.

I'll have a string of battles where they don't pull their weight and I'll get frustrated with them. Then there will be a battle where there's a perfect combination of terrain, placement, and circumstance that causes them to go Ham and singlehandedly win it. Their probably the trickiest unit to use imo.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm doing that checkerboard thing with the dwarfs, is there any way for me to lock that formation in place and move it in unison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Doctor Schnabel posted:

If I'm doing that checkerboard thing with the dwarfs, is there any way for me to lock that formation in place and move it in unison?

Put them into a control group and hit either Ctrl G, or click the little lock button next to the control group number.

• Locked thread