Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tunicate posted:

Wait Caliban is a mutant and not just a normal guy with bad fashion sense?

Yeah, he's a Morlock and is really loving cool. He was even a Horseman in the comics.

He can track other mutants and some psychic energy, can cause people to become sick via telepathy and gets SUPER BUFF when people around him are scared.

Oh, he can also absorb fear and emit it as a psychic wave attack.
He's also a pretty good dude but people poo poo on him because he's ugly.

Edit: I can't believe I just made this connection: He's a Nosferatu from Vampire Requiem.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea for some dumbfuck reason Snyder is in this weird OMG DUDE SYMBOLISM AND WE CAN HAVE NO HAPPINESS FOR OUR PRIMARY COLORED CHILDREN'S CHARACTERS. It's like he's trapped in a mixture of teenager angst and art school imaginings.

Yea, Captain Boomerang is a dumb gently caress name, but he does occasionally do cool poo poo in the comics. Just not during the silver age (which is what those are from). Generally though, he's a racist bogan who has 3 or 4 other dudes backing him up when they take on the flash so he doesn't look like so much of an idiot.

Don't get me wrong, he's still an idiot, but when he has the rest of the rogues up with him they can cause some havoc. He may be a boomerang throwing idiot but he's smart. (i.e. has invented technological poo poo and upgraded boomerangs for his various tricks like exploding or razor tipped or whatnot)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope they keep having Spartacus actors play Captain Boomerang in his various live-action appearances

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

JT Smiley posted:

That's why I don't understand why DC movies has decided to go the super serious, no smiles route when they're making movies staring inherently campy characters. Why can't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?

It's like you forgot that Joel Schumacher tried to do that in the late 90's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK7wRdzg0MM
IIRC there was an interview where Schumacher said how much he loved Batman '66 & wanted to emulate that. I believe if he wasn't shackled to the Burton aesthetic from the previous movies he would have gone full camp.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable name for a normal person, it just sounds silly when it's paired with a mass murderer/rapist.

Sort of like how Frost is a normal surname, but it's eyeroll-inducing when a comic book character shows up with that name and has ice powers.

Actual name: Roy G Bivolo. I poo poo you not.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They actually make fun of him in an episode of The Flash for that. I can't recall the exact quote but it's something like "Boy, with a name like that you just never had a chance".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's also a Marvel character called Basilisk. His real name is Basil Elks. That's still my favorite one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

There's also a Marvel character called Basilisk. His real name is Basil Elks. That's still my favorite one.

Black Bolts real name is Blackagar Boltagon!!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So Enchantress tries to tempt suicide squad by showing them what they really want deep down. But captain boomerang doesn't get a flashback! They missed a Chace to show him trying to hurl the Flash into orbit on a giant boomerang!

Also, it seems like the only real requirement for the team was "got my rear end kicked by a meta human ". They seemed like the B-Team. Were any of them cool enough to get into the Legion of Doom?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

Also, it seems like the only real requirement for the team was "got my rear end kicked by a meta human ". They seemed like the B-Team. Were any of them cool enough to get into the Legion of Doom?

On the one hand, when you're forming a team of supervillain convicts your only choices are people who got their asses kicked because the villains who didn't get their asses kicked aren't in prison. On the other hand, most of the Suicide Squad are in prison because they got their asses kicked by Batman - who isn't metahuman.

Of all the criticisms you could have made, I can't think of one that more perfectly threads the Needle of Dumb.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

that's a perfectly normal name on the moon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

So Enchantress tries to tempt suicide squad by showing them what they really want deep down. But captain boomerang doesn't get a flashback! They missed a Chace to show him trying to hurl the Flash into orbit on a giant boomerang!

Digger's fantasy would have just been him, chilling on a beach with a beer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elfgames posted:

that's a perfectly normal name on the moon.

That's why his having an alter ego is so funny. He's literally the ruler of a hidden moon kingdom but for some reason he wears a mask and hides his 'real name' by shortening both words.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

That's why his having an alter ego is so funny. He's literally the ruler of a hidden moon kingdom but for some reason he wears a mask and hides his 'real name' by shortening both words.

The alter ego is for when he's doing poo poo on earth, same thing as t'challa calling himself the black panther when he's outside of wakanda. Black bolt is just too good of a name not to use, I mean his powers have nothing to do with bolts mechanical or electrical and he isn't black so he obviously chose to use the name cause it's :krad:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

bobkatt013 posted:

In a parallel universe Blackadder Goes Forth was about an Imperial Guardsman Captain named Blackagar Boltagon in the 40K universe. None of the lines, characters or plot is changed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Comstar posted:

In a parallel universe Blackadder Goes Forth was about an Imperial Guardsman Captain named Blackagar Boltagon in the 40K universe. None of the lines, characters or plot is changed.

I'd watch it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But is there a triple husbandoid?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Aphrodite posted:

Psylocke's power is telekinesis and telepathy, even in the movie.

She just uses it mostly to make swords.

The focused totality of her telepathic powers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable name for a normal person, it just sounds silly when it's paired with a mass murderer/rapist.

Sort of like how Frost is a normal surname, but it's eyeroll-inducing when a comic book character shows up with that name and has ice powers.

A couple of Marvel games have joke loading screen tips about how Emma Frost has no ice powers. "Cyclops actually has 2 eyes" is another common one.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Actual name: Roy G Bivolo. I poo poo you not.

Have you read the 'Your Name is What?' thread? Parents inflict that poo poo on their kids all the time.

We know that what actually happened is the creators just chose a name based on the character and powers they thought of, but at least in a lot of cases it can be hand waved in character as the villain intentionally choosing their theme/name based on their real name. Like Roy G Bivolo there has no actual powers, but when he decided to be a supervillain he thought "Alright what can I do with rainbows?" Or why Captain Nathaniel Adams chose the name Captain Atom for his generic energy shooting superhero identity.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aphrodite posted:

Have you read the Your Name is What? thread? Parents inflict that poo poo on their kids all the time.

It's a silly thing in comics, sure. But seriously if my last name had "Biv" in it at all, there's no way I wouldn't name my kid Roy G. The G wouldn't even mean anything. It's just a shame my last name is unpunnable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Bell Biv DeVoe didn't name their kids Taco, Roy G. and I don't have a joke for this one, what's even the point of fame?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Okay, real talk: If you look it up online, you'll find Galactus's actual name “Galan”. I'm not joking, it's Galan. Galan A. Lactus.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Digger's fantasy would have just been him, chilling on a beach with a beer.

He doesn't like beaches after he got stranded on a desert island. He tried to escape by, you guessed it, building a giant boomerang.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I don't understand the bivolo reference :classiclol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Biplane posted:

I don't understand the bivolo reference :classiclol:

You didn't learn Roy G. Biv to remember the colors of a rainbow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROYGBIV

...I guess in hindsight I have no idea why we had to remember the colors of a rainbow. But I know that off hand while I have no clue how to do a quadratic equation anymore, so I guess points to them.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I get why people like The Notebook but Ryan Gosling's character comes off as a bit of a psycho in it.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Panfilo posted:

I thought in batman v supes, the flash runs back in time and yells at bruce, and bruce doesn't recognize him, so if the flash is "from the future" then why would captain boomerang have a arch enemy yet?

I didn't see either movie, was his intro a maroon blur punching him into a jailcell?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Romcoms are just stalker movies with upbeat music and attractive people

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

Romcoms are just stalker movies with upbeat music and attractive people

Addicted to Love was actually honest about this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every time someone says Bivolo I get this stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkLSjsiqlM

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Bivolo bivolo Bivolo bivolo bivolo bivolo Bivolo bivolo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aphrodite posted:

If Bell Biv DeVoe didn't name their kids Taco, Roy G. and I don't have a joke for this one, what's even the point of fame?

DeVoe could have named his kid We Are

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

Krinkle posted:

I thought in batman v supes, the flash runs back in time and yells at bruce, and bruce doesn't recognize him, so if the flash is "from the future" then why would captain boomerang have a arch enemy yet?

I didn't see either movie, was his intro a maroon blur punching him into a jailcell?

He described it as more of a red streak, but yes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Memento posted:

DeVoe could have named his kid We Are

The father is Robert DeVoe. He has a son, Robert Devoe the second. Or as they call him, "wee R. Devoe".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jermaine Jackson has a son named Jermajesty and that's the best thing.

On topic, how did the monster from Jeepers Creepers get a vanity license plate for his large truck? Did he go to the DMV and buy it and if so why wasn't that scene in the movie?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

On topic, how did the monster from Jeepers Creepers get a vanity license plate for his large truck? Did he go to the DMV and buy it and if so why wasn't that scene in the movie?

The DMV extended him professional courtesy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

He built it himself

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Not a movie, but it (along with many, many other things) always irrationally irritated me about Prison Break: how contrived everything about Michael's tattoo was. I was willing to go along with it when it was just the blueprints of the prison and other details about the escape, but especially in season 2 when it's shown that he included EVERY aspect of their plan for getting to Panama it started getting ridiculous. I mean, I understand he had to have a detailed plan for everything, but was it really necessary to number it so anyone could figure it out and jump to the end of the list and wait? Some of the stuff would have been pretty easy to remember and surely could have been left out.

It's like he never even thinks that someone could possibly "crack" the code of the tattoo, which seems out of character for the super-genius master planner he's portrayed as.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like it would have made more sense to leave his post escape plans somewhere else instead of on the tattoos that the government has pictures of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It seems like it would have made more sense to leave his post escape plans somewhere else instead of on the tattoos that the government has pictures of.

Yeah, just like...remember where he put them and pick them up later. Then again there was a lot of stuff in the escape plan and post-escape plan that it seemed like he could really easily remember if he just tried. Things like stashing some clothes and money isn't something he should require a reminder to find, damnit!