Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I suppose I should post because it's me, I'm who they're making these changes and games for. I don't want a Fire Pro or NJPW game in WWE drag. If I'm buying a WWE game, I want it to feel like the licence, just like I do if I buy a Transformers or Batman game. And WWE guys cut promos, they have a particular kind of match, there are repetitive (yes, this is annoying to play) feuds.

MyCareer mode last year felt like babby steps towards the wrestling game mode I've wanted since I was like 8. I want Mass Effect, but instead of 3rd person shooting, you shoot ON THE MIC BROTHER, or have wrasslin' matches.

I know none of this will change anyone's mind, but hopefully it makes 2K's logic make a bit more sense and gives a teensy bit of insight into the mindset of someone who likes this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You played SLAMMED! right

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Basic Chunnel posted:

You played SLAMMED! right

SLAMMED!! rules

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I suppose I should post because it's me, I'm who they're making these changes and games for. I don't want a Fire Pro or NJPW game in WWE drag. If I'm buying a WWE game, I want it to feel like the licence, just like I do if I buy a Transformers or Batman game. And WWE guys cut promos, they have a particular kind of match, there are repetitive (yes, this is annoying to play) feuds.

MyCareer mode last year felt like babby steps towards the wrestling game mode I've wanted since I was like 8. I want Mass Effect, but instead of 3rd person shooting, you shoot ON THE MIC BROTHER, or have wrasslin' matches.

I know none of this will change anyone's mind, but hopefully it makes 2K's logic make a bit more sense and gives a teensy bit of insight into the mindset of someone who likes this stuff.

I do want a NJPW game in drag, but I would settle for some little stuff that would make the game way better. Like the ability to hop over a downed opponent while running, or being able to hit a running attack off the ropes without it being a major hassle, or a rebound running attack on a guy I irish whipped off the ropes. This is a wrestling game series that since 2011 has had lovely rope running.

Also, wake up taunts in last gen are better than the stalking finisher in new gen.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
One of the problems is that they want to have their cake and eat it to with regards to matches. You can't make a WWE game that is more simulation than arcade, more Sports Entertainment than King's Road, and have every match end up with 2-5+ finishers being performed before a victory.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly what bothers me most about wwe games is that there are move animations that have been in there since I played the very first smackdown game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Honestly what bothers me most about wwe games is that there are move animations that have been in there since I played the very first smackdown game.

And all the ones newer than that are worse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How can 2k gently caress out the game this year? How about not being able to place a ladder anywhere you want? Or losing a multi-man match because the game forces you to be outside the ring?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/15/wwe-2k17-the-6-biggest-changes-so-far

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Davros1 posted:

How can 2k gently caress out the game this year? How about not being able to place a ladder anywhere you want? Or losing a multi-man match because the game forces you to be outside the ring?

I honestly thought you were joking.

quote:

In WWE 2K17, the ladder can only be set up in five specific locations: in front of each set of ropes, and in the center of the ring. Just get close to one, press the right button, and it gets set up properly every time. No more setting it up and climbing to the top, only to find you were an inch too far to the left.

(...)

When a member of a mutli-person match takes a big burst of damage, they will be forced to roll out to ringside, where they’ll rest for a while. Depending on how badly hurt they are, they’ll be stuck there until they’ve at least partially recovered. At that point, you have a choice: do I run back in or do I rest until I’m fully recovered? Coming in early might be the choice if a pinfall is about to be scored, or if you see a perfect opportunity, but coming in fully rested gives you a temporary buff to run wild with.

:laugh:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I can see the theoretical idea of 'Let's make the matches come across more like real matches' but you'd think someone would stop and say 'oh, we're making a video game where the player can't do what they want because they have to fill the script of a WWE match perfectly instead'

so I guess it actually is the ultimate simulation of being a WWE superstar

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And they're letting people choose between the new submission system from last game and the old button mashing one. Even 2K admits it doesn't know how it'll work online.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The ladder thing kind of stinks but maybe won't be the worst. The roll out is awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The ladder thing I get entirely as it was a pain in the arse to fiddle with placement.
The roll out seems like a god-send for playing against the CPU, and it's not like it's any different from what happened if you took too much damage in 2k16 (you'd be laying on the mat selling until you button-mashed your health bar back up), but I can see how people who want the wacky multi-person clownshows would be mad.

The reversals and taunt changes seem cool though. The red reversals lock out the other persons reversals for a bit and taunts give different buffs, which is neat.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I like the addition of putting a ladder on the barricade and apron though. I assume it will function like a table once it's set up.
Backstage brawls that can start from the ring and then area specific OMG moments is a nice little touch.
The taunt from different positions makes me think of HBK's laying on the top rope which was last in War Zone and Attitude.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The roll out seems like a god-send for playing against the CPU, and it's not like it's any different from what happened if you took too much damage in 2k16 (you'd be laying on the mat selling until you button-mashed your health bar back up), but I can see how people who want the wacky multi-person clownshows would be mad.

You say that now, but wait until the computer pins the opponent for the 500th time while you're in the middle of rolling out of the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

You say that now, but wait until the computer pins the opponent for the 500th time while you're in the middle of rolling out of the ring.

I'll take that over a triple threat match lasting 45 minutes because every pin attempt is broken up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I have fond memories of getting real mad because the RNG slapped Me out of the ring in No Mercy slobberknocker matches. I'm sure I'll be fine.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
These changes are good for what I like to do with WWE games--create my own ridiculous characters, then watch the matches. But yeah, if you actually *play*...they don't sound like fun.

The taunt changes sound interesting, though. I'm glad that top rope taunts will be back--it was always fun to do one right before you did your top rope finisher.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also means that top rope finishers on standing opponents might be viable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

now that the spiderman license got saved by Insomiac and Sony, I guess the new champ of "longest running series of continuously bad games" goes to the wwe2k games.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That ladder thing sounds stupid. That's what you do on the SNES because you can't model physics. Terrible. Also the little blurb about how backstage brawling will change Renee Young's interviews, does that mean if you say something stupid Renee will haul off and hit you in the face?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

projecthalaxy posted:

That ladder thing sounds stupid. That's what you do on the SNES because you can't model physics. Terrible. Also the little blurb about how backstage brawling will change Renee Young's interviews, does that mean if you say something stupid Renee will haul off and hit you in the face?

I hope so

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MisterGBH posted:

The taunt from different positions makes me think of HBK's laying on the top rope which was last in War Zone and Attitude.

The aki games had a few weird taunts I think if you were near the corner.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Snacksmaniac posted:

The aki games had a few weird taunts I think if you were near the corner.

Yeah, DDP and Raven definitely had corner taunts in Revenge.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't mind the ladder stuff, because rearranging furniture has always been the stupidest and most finnicky part of these games. Everything else sounds pretty neat so far!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I'm getting 2k16 Free from XBox Gold.

Looking at the add-ons. Is the 2015 Hall of Fame Showcase granting you those characters for the whole game, or just giving you the option of certain famous matches with those characters?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Anything that affects nL's botch videos of these games is a bad call imo

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

So I'm getting 2k16 Free from XBox Gold.

Looking at the add-ons. Is the 2015 Hall of Fame Showcase granting you those characters for the whole game, or just giving you the option of certain famous matches with those characters?
They're in there for whatever purpose you want them for.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I like how they came up with the great idea to customize match length - "short, normal and epic," or whatever it was - so guys would take more or less damage and you could simulate both squash matches and PPV main events. And instead of adding to this feature - maybe making it a long sliding scale, maybe showing how much time it would take to complete an average "epic" or "very epic" or "10/10 epic" singles match, maybe adding a random option so you don't know how long it will go - they got rid of it. And there's no way it's coming back, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

I like how they came up with the great idea to customize match length - "short, normal and epic," or whatever it was - so guys would take more or less damage and you could simulate both squash matches and PPV main events. And instead of adding to this feature - maybe making it a long sliding scale, maybe showing how much time it would take to complete an average "epic" or "very epic" or "10/10 epic" singles match, maybe adding a random option so you don't know how long it will go - they got rid of it. And there's no way it's coming back, right?

Probably not. And if they do, it'll be one of the only big updates to a future game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It was borked in 2k16 anyway, since it didn't affect how much damage you took, just how fast you gained finishers. Which resulted in quicker matches, but not squashes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The day these games stopped letting you give yourself infinite finishers and the AI no finishers at all is the day they became Bad.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Backstage brawling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_DahoIlLw

New Roster members that weren't in past games:

Charlotte
Sasha Banks
Becky Lynch
Alexa Bliss
Dana Brooke
AJ Styles
Bubba Ray Dudley
D-Von Dudley
Braun Strowman

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I like how Bubba Ray looks nearly photorealistic while Emma looks like a 2008 CAW

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 16, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that superkick in the dressing room spot.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Small stuff but I hope we get some options to replace the indy kick to seated opponents. It's just kind of weird to see guys like Undertaker or Luke Bushwacker throwing those around willy nilly. I also hope physics get reapplied to the stairs, as it is a bummer that in 2k16 people cant be dropped on them any more.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 17, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I can see the theoretical idea of 'Let's make the matches come across more like real matches' but you'd think someone would stop and say 'oh, we're making a video game where the player can't do what they want because they have to fill the script of a WWE match perfectly instead'

so I guess it actually is the ultimate simulation of being a WWE superstar

I think this is the biggest issue they struggle with right now. Like, everyone buying these games knows there's a script, we know when Cena gets kicked out of the ring and has to pant and recover on the side it's because the script called for some time so Reigns can do some one on one work with Ambrose or whatever. We don't actually want to play that out, we like watching it, but this is a different medium.

Looking at stuff like the backstage video they seem to be genuinely trying to do interesting poo poo, and getting rid of Showcase mode seems to be them wanting to focus on 'you make a cool rear end match and play it' but as long as they're shackled to 'but hey remember when the script called for this to happen? THAT WAS SO REALISTIC RIGHT? We built a major feature entirely around that one moment!' it's gonna be weakened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Again, I think that feature is their answer to 'gently caress, i hate multi-man matches because pins always get broken and they take twice as long as they should'. And they already had a similar feature in 2k16, it just meant you had a body lying in the ring getting in the way.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Davros1 posted:

these are both good things, trust in 2k, trust in WWE, and anyway if it sucks wait until you see WWE 2K18 with a completely overhauled cage match system!

2k has to dump MyCareer and Universe Mode to fit in the cage match system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Davros1 posted:

All of this actually sounds cool.