Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Is there any way to clear skjall's name

No, but he comes up again later in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Sort of.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's strange that neither of these issues bothered me. Do most of you recommending the carry weight mod have PTSD from the launch version of the game when crafting materials and books added to weight and there wasn't a Stash to store stuff you want to keep but don't want to carry? I didn't start playing until this year and can't say I ever had much issue remembering to dump all of the swords I was looting and clicking over to the Repair tab any time I was near a blacksmith. I always ended up back near a vendor frequently enough that it's not like I had to make any special trips. I waste more time making special trips to actually perform the crafting of stuff like Witcher gear.

I have no idea, I play without any mods and weight/durability were slightly annoying at launch but I don't really notice them in my recent NG+. I don't think I've bothered to repair more than once or twice this game, I upgrade Witcher sets every few levels and that pretty much takes care of it.

Really I think the game is fine without any mods but if you wanted quality of life stuff, there's really no reason item weight and durability need to be in the game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where do you find all the enhanced and superior oil recipes? Are they in fixed points or is it random?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Random. But there are a couple of places that tend to have a lot.

For Enhanced recipes there are two herbalists of particular note. One is NE of Oxenfurt, with his own hut and signpost. The other (even more important) is south of the river in Novigrad, One of the Witcher Contracts in Novigrad send you to buy burdock from him, this is the easiest way to find him.

For Superior recipes you need to talk to Gremist in Skellige. There's a questchain involved.

For the remainder it's all random boxes. Not neccesarily fancy reward boxes, can just be boxes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also you may never collect all of them, you have to realize that before you set yourself up for disappointment.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish there was an option to Axii that fucker in Skellige who decides to pay me less because I told him it was a Forktail I killed, and not a dragon.

This is why we need a Lambert game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hope CDPR considers reducing or removing entirely a bunch of the residual and meaningless RPG trappings like levels/XP, inventory management, and ability specs.

They've totally blown it out of the water in terms of actual storytelling and role-playing, a lot of the "RPG" elements feel tacked-on and unnecessary since it's the dialogue driving the game and not really the combat and level progression.

In Witcher 3, levels mostly serve to gate content. If you're not high enough level, monsters are extra hard. If you're going to do the W3 thing and have awesome dialogue and side-questing without XP/item rewards, just do away with XP altogether. Have the character gain ability points (or similar) from doing major quests. If you need to gate content to progression, I don't think most players would be bothered by having a plot requirement for some monsters. That is, you need to progress the main quest to point X which gives you information to be able to beat Y. That feels in keeping with being a Witcher where knowledge of a monster is very important.

JaucheCharly posted:

This is why we need a Lambert game.

Lambert, you're a genius.

Edit: also, a prick.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just let Ciri give him a kiss before he dies and it's all good.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I know, you should have seen what happened next when I axii'd the prick that wanted to cheat me out of the money for that contract. Ever seen a man trying to insert his head into a cow's rear end?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

I hope CDPR considers reducing or removing entirely a bunch of the residual and meaningless RPG trappings like levels/XP, inventory management, and ability specs.

They've totally blown it out of the water in terms of actual storytelling and role-playing, a lot of the "RPG" elements feel tacked-on and unnecessary since it's the dialogue driving the game and not really the combat and level progression.

I disagree with this. For me the combat and level progression plus the exploration aspect are the driving factors of the game

The writing and characterisation for the most part is typical fantasy dreck. Geralt is such an obvious self-insert power fantasy that is impossible to take seriously. Are we supposed to take him seriously??? I wonder how closely the author of the novels has in the production of the game. Has anyone read the books? I can only imagine them being exceedingly terrible

Although I've only just gotten to skellige, maybe it gets better??? Does Geralt ever stop lusting after every pair of tits???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fridge corn posted:

I disagree with this. For me the combat and level progression plus the exploration aspect are the driving factors of the game

The writing and characterisation for the most part is typical fantasy dreck. Geralt is such an obvious self-insert power fantasy that is impossible to take seriously. Are we supposed to take him seriously??? I wonder how closely the author of the novels has in the production of the game. Has anyone read the books? I can only imagine them being exceedingly terrible

Although I've only just gotten to skellige, maybe it gets better??? Does Geralt ever stop lusting after every pair of tits???

:allears:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fridge corn posted:

nope!!!

he is a 100-year old manchild

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I may have slightly overprepared for this auction.
"Hmm, is 20K going to be enough? Better be safe, I'll make sure I have 25K."

Edit: At least I got these badass glasses.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 16, 2016

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Turn on auto-scaling in the options and then becoming over-levelled from doing all the side-quests won't spoil the main quest line fights. There is a good chance you will repeatedly die to wolf and dog packs however.

Also the merchants in Beauclair in B&W will have the recipes you're missing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

kim jong-illin posted:

In my game B&W merchants sell no recipes and I'm missing quite a few.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I went into B&W missing just one superior and one enhanced recipe and the alchemist in Beauclair had just those two, so I assumed it was an added feature in the DLC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maybe it's a bug that I didn't know about but it's too late to restart the expansion now.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I did it! I finally finished Collect Em All! There was a sneaky merchant I hadn't found in a cage somewhere. Finally!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Do you keep all your oils & decoctions in New Game+? I'll be very happy if I can skip going to herbalists in my next playthrough.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kim jong-illin posted:

Turn on auto-scaling in the options and then becoming over-levelled from doing all the side-quests won't spoil the main quest line fights. There is a good chance you will repeatedly die to wolf and dog packs however.

The problem with auto-scaling is it makes some boss fights ridiculously hard. The Genie in Skellige will have ridiculous amounts of health and one-shot you for example.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Hobo Clown posted:

Do you keep all your oils & decoctions in New Game+? I'll be very happy if I can skip going to herbalists in my next playthrough.

Yes, you don't keep any weapon/armour diagrams though as they will all be scaled to whatever level you enter NG+ at.
Though you can keep using Aerondight as it scales with you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
lol at Keria's underwear magically covering more of her tits than her outerware.

Gonna gently caress her though, even though every sorceress is the same character and is using sex as a weapon to point me towards their target. Geralt never passes up an opportunity.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I just got a 12 MB update. What? Something to do with the GOTY version?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

I just got a 12 MB update. What? Something to do with the GOTY version?
Nvidia Ansel compatibility.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Like every self-insert power fantasy, geralt was literally killed by a farmer with a pitchfork.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Digirat posted:

Like every self-insert power fantasy, geralt was literally killed by a farmer with a pitchfork.

I don't understand is this a spoiler?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

fridge corn posted:

I don't understand is this a spoiler?

The books end with Geralt trying to stand up for some oppressed elves, and being stabbed in the gut with a pitchfork by a random villager and dying of his wounds for his trouble. The games take place after the books, with Geralt waking up with amnesia, part of the mystery being how he survived.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

The books are fairly well-done and I typically hate translated books. They're good pulpy fantasy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The ending in the books has little to do with the writing in the game...

You can play Geralt as a total straight edge fwiw.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

The books end with Geralt trying to stand up for some oppressed elves, and being stabbed in the gut with a pitchfork by a random villager and dying of his wounds for his trouble. The games take place after the books, with Geralt waking up with amnesia, part of the mystery being how he survived.

Oh okay, I don't see how it changes anything though. A subversive twist at the end doesn't magically make a bad book good, if thats what Digirat was suggesting

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
By all accounts Geralt should be a total Marty Stu character (scars/gravelly voice/white hair/special eyes/fucks everyone) but in my opinion he somehow avoids it, though I have no idea what this x-factor is that makes him likable and not totally insufferable like Kvothe from Kingkiller or something.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He's fantasy batman imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like all the little touches in incidental dialogue and gestural cues that quietly reveal that Geralt is actually a giant dork who makes dad jokes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

By all accounts Geralt should be a total Marty Stu character (scars/gravelly voice/white hair/special eyes/fucks everyone) but in my opinion he somehow avoids it, though I have no idea what this x-factor is that makes him likable and not totally insufferable like Kvothe from Kingkiller or something.
He's generally upbeat, chases down goats, humors the elderly, and even after killing So Many Things, still seems pretty low-key and chill.

I've been watching the TV series, and actually enjoying it once it got past the first few episodes of setting the stage for adult Geralt, which were pretty slow and humorless. I love that each episode ends with Dandelion singing a different song, specific to each episode (I think they're different, at least). There was even a CG golden dragon! The sets are good, the music is solid, the towns are fully populated by grungy folk, and the animatronic snake monster they keep reusing has been a delight.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 16, 2016

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Geralt also gets a ton of poo poo from basically everyone; his friends clown on him constantly. Plus his profession makes him hated by the populace at large.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Coughing Hobo posted:

Plus his profession makes him hated by the populace at large.
And is slowly and inevitably dying out too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Geralt also gets a ton of poo poo from basically everyone; his friends clown on him constantly. Plus his profession makes him hated by the populace at large.

And that's because all of his friends see right through his act, they know he's just a giant dork trying to act cool. And if in the course of playing the game someone isn't taking every opportunity to let Geralt's inner dork shine through then any complaints about his character is the player's own fault. Like when I decided to have Geralt bow to Emhyr way back in the beginning, it was so funny that I knew I'd made the correct decision.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Case-in-point for this entire discussion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"No massacre is complete without a pitchfork," Geralt quips when he finds a child's skeleton impaled with said implement.