Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oooh, hang a moment. Do you actually have to pay for the month of service or can you just cancel immediately after activating?
You can cancel immediately, but I think you still get hit for the $20 base fee. I can't confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

OK, so I have an issue and I think I need a little guidance.

Long term (10+ year) VZW customer. Have four iPhones and an iPad all on a family plan that I pay like $325/month for. All my devices are under the VZW payment plans where I pay money towards the device cost every month.

We just found out that the house we are moving to has terrible Verizon coverage. 1x data speeds, broken voice signals, texts that don't go through, etc. Apparently AT&T has good coverage.

I've never switched carriers before, and I know that I owe like $350 on each phone and something like $700 on this iPad.

I'm looking at AT&Ts website, and they say they offer "up to" $650 per device if we switch, but they are only offering $80 trade in value to a couple of the phones that we have (16g 5s). What am I missing? How is this supposed to work? Am I hosed?

Also I would just buy a booster but this place I'm moving to doesn't even have high speed internet, I get DSL :suicide:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I've got a Galaxy S5 on Verizon for 2+ years. Was looking to upgrade, its starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

I was thinking about the Nexus 6, but I made the mistake of looking at the Android thread and reading stories about exploding chargers and software updates that break WiFi.

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

exploding mummy posted:

I've got a Galaxy S5 on Verizon for 2+ years. Was looking to upgrade, its starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

I was thinking about the Nexus 6, but I made the mistake of looking at the Android thread and reading stories about exploding chargers and software updates that break WiFi.

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot.

You're an idiot.

Phones been out a while, look at the nexus 6P. Actually, new nexus phones are launching in the next month or so, so if you can wait a bit, wait.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Q-sixtysix posted:

OK, so I have an issue and I think I need a little guidance.

Long term (10+ year) VZW customer. Have four iPhones and an iPad all on a family plan that I pay like $325/month for. All my devices are under the VZW payment plans where I pay money towards the device cost every month.

We just found out that the house we are moving to has terrible Verizon coverage. 1x data speeds, broken voice signals, texts that don't go through, etc. Apparently AT&T has good coverage.

I've never switched carriers before, and I know that I owe like $350 on each phone and something like $700 on this iPad.

I'm looking at AT&Ts website, and they say they offer "up to" $650 per device if we switch, but they are only offering $80 trade in value to a couple of the phones that we have (16g 5s). What am I missing? How is this supposed to work? Am I hosed?

Also I would just buy a booster but this place I'm moving to doesn't even have high speed internet, I get DSL :suicide:

You're not hosed. The buyout is simple.

Say you owe $300 on phone A. ATT offers $80 on phone trade in. You would get $80 upfront, and the remaining $220 as a gift card.

That's it. None of the carriers buy out iPads unfortunately.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a question.

Last time I looked into phones was 2-3 years ago. Back then, Nexus phones had a unique feature: you could root them, install whatever rooted software you wanted, and then lock the bootloader again to prevent unauthorised access, without losing your changes. (Other phones would reset when you re-locked the bootloader. You could enable encryption if you wanted to protect your data, but at the time that hurt both battery life and performance.)

1) Which current phones have that feature?
2) Does the feature still matter, now that (apparently) encryption is smooth enough to be enabled by default on Android 6+?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

You're not hosed. The buyout is simple.

Say you owe $300 on phone A. ATT offers $80 on phone trade in. You would get $80 upfront, and the remaining $220 as a gift card.

That's it. None of the carriers buy out iPads unfortunately.

Thanks man, that's a relief. Guess I'll be heading to the AT&T store this week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I have a question.

Last time I looked into phones was 2-3 years ago. Back then, Nexus phones had a unique feature: you could root them, install whatever rooted software you wanted, and then lock the bootloader again to prevent unauthorised access, without losing your changes. (Other phones would reset when you re-locked the bootloader. You could enable encryption if you wanted to protect your data, but at the time that hurt both battery life and performance.)

1) Which current phones have that feature?
2) Does the feature still matter, now that (apparently) encryption is smooth enough to be enabled by default on Android 6+?
Ask the rooted thread, but I assume Nexuses still do this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Looking for a solid Android with a ~4 1/2" screen (or <13cm/5" height), good camera, reliable GPS, passable battery life, with Lollipop or higher? I'm in Denmark if it matters.

Selane
May 19, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Looking for a solid Android with a ~4 1/2" screen (or <13cm/5" height), good camera, reliable GPS, passable battery life, with Lollipop or higher? I'm in Denmark if it matters.

Android phones that small don't exist any more. But just to be sure, I ran a search for 4.5 or smaller screen, 10mp camera or better, made in the last 2 years, and got literally one result. I hope you like $600 flip phones!

I guess if you were willing to go a little bigger you could get a Z5 compact, but honestly Sony's phones have been hit or miss lately. If the size is really important to you you're gonna have to suck it up and get an iPhone SE.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Selane posted:

Android phones that small don't exist any more. But just to be sure, I ran a search for 4.5 or smaller screen, 10mp camera or better, made in the last 2 years, and got literally one result. I hope you like $600 flip phones!

I guess if you were willing to go a little bigger you could get a Z5 compact, but honestly Sony's phones have been hit or miss lately. If the size is really important to you you're gonna have to suck it up and get an iPhone SE.

It's not so much the screen size itself as the height and width of the phone. The phone is for my dad and he thinks my Nexus 5 is too large. He still has a lovely Wildfire S, which is too small. Go figure.

Searching for 130mm height with Lollipop or higher gives a few more results, but they're mostly older ones with 5MP cameras and poo poo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

It's not so much the screen size itself as the height and width of the phone. The phone is for my dad and he thinks my Nexus 5 is too large. He still has a lovely Wildfire S, which is too small. Go figure.

Searching for 130mm height with Lollipop or higher gives a few more results, but they're mostly older ones with 5MP cameras and poo poo.
I don't know what's available in Denmark, but in the US I can still buy a MotoX with lollipop on Sprint for like $130. It's a good enough hardware in small package, but not as good as Nexus 5/6. If size is a factor, it's either that or iPhone5.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nitrox posted:

I don't know what's available in Denmark, but in the US I can still buy a MotoX with lollipop on Sprint for like $130. It's a good enough hardware in small package, but not as good as Nexus 5/6. If size is a factor, it's either that or iPhone5.

Can only seem to find later versions, which are just as large as the Nexus 5. There's also the S5 Mini, but it doesn't have Lollipop (yet?). Think I'm just going to tell him to get with the times.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I finally totalled my Moto X 2nd gen. and so find myself in the market for a new phone. Android highly preferred to iOS. I'm in the US and on AT&T. Unfortunately, waiting for new models is not an option, since I own a business and cannot go without a phone. Storage and size are secondary concerns.

My first inclination is the Moto X Pure, which I can get from their store for $299 (the 2016 models are Verizon only at the moment). However, from this thread and elsewhere, I get the impression that since Lenovo bought Motorola the quality has dipped substantially.

What would be a better alternative? I am looking at the Nexus 6p, but it's another $100 (Google has it for $399) and I'm not thrilled about having to stock up on a bunch of new chargers (especially since I already shelled out for that Motorola turbo charger). The Nexus 5x is $349, but it looks to me like the performance increase from the 6p is worth the extra $50 if I go with a Nexus.

Other options look like grotesque piles of bloatware, which was one of the main reasons I went with the Moto X in the first place. Pure android best android, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Either of the Nexuses are good options, and if you have Amazon Prime, you can get it today for the same price as from Google.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You can apparently get the 5x substantially cheaper if you order it with Google Fi service (which you can cancel after a month since it's prepaid). The 6p is a very good phone but it's also a very large phone (if that makes a difference to you).

Also be aware that the new Nexus phones will be introduced sometime in the next few months so it might be worth waiting a bit either for them, or for a price drop in the current models.

e. The biggest issue with the Moto X Pure (and all of Motorola's phones, really) is that you may not get timely, or any, Android updates, including the monthly security updates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, ordering through Fi offers $150 off the 5X (though a bit less if you're sticking with your current service since you have to active it on Fi, even if you cancel immediately). But everyone seems to agree with 6P is a better phone unless you don't want that big a phone.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Endless Mike posted:

Either of the Nexuses are good options, and if you have Amazon Prime, you can get it today for the same price as from Google.

I do have Prime, but since Amazon charges sales tax in my state it is actually less expensive than buying from Google and expediting.

docbeard posted:

You can apparently get the 5x substantially cheaper if you order it with Google Fi service (which you can cancel after a month since it's prepaid). The 6p is a very good phone but it's also a very large phone (if that makes a difference to you).

Also be aware that the new Nexus phones will be introduced sometime in the next few months so it might be worth waiting a bit either for them, or for a price drop in the current models.

e. The biggest issue with the Moto X Pure (and all of Motorola's phones, really) is that you may not get timely, or any, Android updates, including the monthly security updates.

Size is not really an issue. I would love to be able to wait, but I am currently without a phone at all and that won't do.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, ordering through Fi offers $150 off the 5X (though a bit less if you're sticking with your current service since you have to active it on Fi, even if you cancel immediately). But everyone seems to agree with 6P is a better phone unless you don't want that big a phone.

I'll be keeping my service, especially since I share it with iPhone users.

Going with the 6s, thanks guys!

Edit: Weird, went all the way through checkout with Google and it did not show sales tax, then it popped up the last second before I hit "confirm." Guess I'll be doing prime, but if any of you buy through the Google store that's something to be wary of.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 10, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just landed in Liverpool, UK. Looking to get 2 x SIM card plans and broadband (once a place is sorted out). We're looking at EE, is that a good choice?

Pretty light usage on calls / data, but probably fairly heavy on home internet. Any suggestions?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yesterday I broke a 15-year stretch of not smashing the gently caress out of expensive electronic devices, and my precious Nexus 6 needs replacing.

I'm looking at the Nexus 5x, currently on sale at Argos for £199.95. Any Britgoons know if I can do any better?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Wachter posted:

Yesterday I broke a 15-year stretch of not smashing the gently caress out of expensive electronic devices, and my precious Nexus 6 needs replacing.

I'm looking at the Nexus 5x, currently on sale at Argos for £199.95. Any Britgoons know if I can do any better?

I was literally just about to ask about the price of the Nexus 5X, because this guy said he got it for £129:

Funso Banjo posted:

Pretty cheap in the UK, though. I bought one for £129 a couple weeks ago.

I think it's outstanding at that price.
Funso Banjo, was that used/refurbished or something? It does seem a great price

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I was literally just about to ask about the price of the Nexus 5X, because this guy said he got it for £129:

Funso Banjo, was that used/refurbished or something? It does seem a great price

Brand new, in ice blue.

It was an upgrade price for O2 from Carphone Warehouse. They do a pay as you go upgrade thing, so long as you have an O2 sim card at least 6 months old. Here in the UK O2 runs a thing called Priority Moments (by having a sim with O2 you get daily discounts and vouchers for freebies, and the sim card is free) so virtually everyone has an O2 sim card here just for that reason, though it may be rotting in a drawer somewhere.

That said, you could get it outside of an upgrade for £20-£30 more than that at the time I bought mine.

Here is the link that alerted me to the £129 price: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-nexus-5x-16gb-black-ice-blue-white-o2-upgrade-129-99-o2-2478886 The site is really useful if you're in the UK for deal alerts.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A friend of mine is paid in advance a few months on her Verizon (USA) contract and her phone broke so she wants an adequate replacement. Budget is only about $100, and it really only needs to be a basic Android, mainly for calls and texting. At this price, it looks like it's basically down to "seller refurbished" phones, or maybe new budget phones that happen to be a couple years old. Is there anything remotely recommendable in this range? It doesn't really matter if the display or camera suck, and it doesn't need 4G or a nice processor; just having acceptable KitKat performance would be fine.

edit: I'm looking at used Samsung Galaxy S5's, seem to be decent phones and not too old. This might be more phone than is really necessary, though?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 13, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
They do or did make a Moto E Verizon model that would fit the bill, my girlfriend got one as a replacement for about 20$, they are dirt cheap

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

They do or did make a Moto E Verizon model that would fit the bill, my girlfriend got one as a replacement for about 20$, they are dirt cheap

That looks great, and Wal-Mart has it for $30. She has Verizon prepaid already. Ordered!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Its honestly not bad for what it is, I think they'll enjoy it :)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Yossarian posted:

a replacement for about 20$, they are dirt cheap

That's crazy. Living in the future is crazy. Imagine what the computer in a moto E would have been worth 20 years ago.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My LG G4 has just been struck down with the sodding infamous bootloop problem after 12 months and three weeks of ownership. Have reported it to LG UK, but until they get their collective heads out of their arses I need a new phone. I don't know if I want to keep with LG after this, so what's a good new alternative to the G4? Moto X Style? Nexus 5X (oh, that's from LG as well)?

Can't afford to drop £450+ for a new phone. It's a shame it's happened as I thought the G4 was a brilliant phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom has been bitching about the reception she gets with TMobile. My dad uses Ting and his reception is great, so she was thinking of switching to there. She'll need a new phone.

She currently has a Windows Phone, but isn't super happy with it. I see the Moto E is real cheap, but I think she'd probably get along better with iOS, especially if she gets one of the small models. I don't really have experience with Apple devices.

Ting has refurbished 4 and 4s's for not much, 5 and 5c's for about $200. Anything newer and more expensive is going to be overkill for her (calling, minimal SMS, email, taking photos). I'd like for her to have up to date software. I gather the 4's are no long getting updates?

Any opinion on which ≈$200 iPhone to get?

https://ting.com/shop?Brand=Apple

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

My mom has been bitching about the reception she gets with TMobile. My dad uses Ting and his reception is great, so she was thinking of switching to there. She'll need a new phone.

She currently has a Windows Phone, but isn't super happy with it. I see the Moto E is real cheap, but I think she'd probably get along better with iOS, especially if she gets one of the small models. I don't really have experience with Apple devices.

Ting has refurbished 4 and 4s's for not much, 5 and 5c's for about $200. Anything newer and more expensive is going to be overkill for her (calling, minimal SMS, email, taking photos). I'd like for her to have up to date software. I gather the 4's are no long getting updates?

Nexus 5x, and check to see if Google Fi is cheaper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Duckman2008 posted:

Nexus 5x, and check to see if Google Fi is cheaper.

It's not (if she shares a plan with Dad) and the 5x is going to be too large for her. She complained that the Lumia 530 she has now was too large at first (it's hilariously small).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

The 5 and 5C are basically the same thing, but she should really, really get the 5S.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's crazy. Living in the future is crazy. Imagine what the computer in a moto E would have been worth 20 years ago.

Absolutely agreed. My dad doesn't have a smartphone, but it still blows his mind whenever he uses my phone or my mom's

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Country/Provider: US T-mobile

Current contract status: 6GB Family plan

Budget (phone/plan): ~$100 (We pay $120 after taxes now)

Switched to T-mobile from AT&T a few months ago. The only issue I'm having is that the LTE is weak or non-existent indoors sometimes and I was aware of that prior to signing up. However, another family member won't stop bitching about no signal in the middle of the woods. He was able to use AT&T there and his hunting buddy has Verizon that works without issue. T-mobile says it will be at least a year before they have towers nearby. So, it looks like we're switching again.

We need 2G or more data (would prefer throttling to overage fees). There would be 2 smartphones and 1 dumbphone on the plan. Since AT&T worked before, wouldn't Cricket be a good choice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

harmless_fun posted:

Country/Provider: US T-mobile

Current contract status: 6GB Family plan

Budget (phone/plan): ~$100 (We pay $120 after taxes now)

Switched to T-mobile from AT&T a few months ago. The only issue I'm having is that the LTE is weak or non-existent indoors sometimes and I was aware of that prior to signing up. However, another family member won't stop bitching about no signal in the middle of the woods. He was able to use AT&T there and his hunting buddy has Verizon that works without issue. T-mobile says it will be at least a year before they have towers nearby. So, it looks like we're switching again.

We need 2G or more data (would prefer throttling to overage fees). There would be 2 smartphones and 1 dumbphone on the plan. Since AT&T worked before, wouldn't Cricket be a good choice?

Cricket would be a very good choice.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I pulled the trigger on the Nexus 6p as discussed a page or two ago. Generally, I am very happy with my purchase.

However, I get weird lag issues with Hearthstone. I don't have any other games installed, so I don't know if its unique to that one. It runs fine for one or two games, then starts stuttering. The stuttering effect snowballs. The game ran quite well on a Moto X (2014), so I did not expect to have issues with this phone. Anyone have any insight on this?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I would like to buy a unlocked galaxy 7 note. I would also like to use t mobile as my carrier so that I can be on a monthly plan. I want my galaxy 7 note to be unlocked, not whatever locked version t mobile would sell me.

That being said, where can I purchase a stock, unlocked, note 7 from? I hope this makes sense and is the right thread. I'm new to the whole smartphone game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Subways Jared posted:

I would like to buy a unlocked galaxy 7 note. I would also like to use t mobile as my carrier so that I can be on a monthly plan. I want my galaxy 7 note to be unlocked, not whatever locked version t mobile would sell me.

That being said, where can I purchase a stock, unlocked, note 7 from? I hope this makes sense and is the right thread. I'm new to the whole smartphone game.

I guess Samsung? Best Buy? Just expect to pay about $850, the phone has not even launched yet.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess Samsung? Best Buy? Just expect to pay about $850, the phone has not even launched yet.

Actually, all of the pre-orders I've seen are carrier locked, so far - and just checking Samsung.com, they ask for a carrier also. I think he'll have to wait until release to find the unlocked ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I somehow cracked the screen on my LG G2 without even dropping it, rendering it completely unusable on top of the many issues it had developed. I am switching to T-Mobile. I'm looking at getting a new 16gb Moto G4 with ads from Amazon for $150 (and promptly removing the ads). Are there any used former flagship android phones worth looking at in the $100-200 price range?