Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sheep posted:

Python.org's Tutorial is decent for wrapping your head around the basics. After that just have the Library Reference open in another window (you want section 11 for file manipulation, for example) until you get the hang of things.

The Fool posted:

That thread has been in a tizzy about the definition of DevOps since your question.

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

Thanks! This is more or less exactly what I am looking for, and the Reference Library instantly filled a gap for me.

Wonder if I can manage to fit learning this into my unemployed time between moving and job hunting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My yearly review is coming up, and I'm tired of being second fiddle to the ridiculously incompetent sysadmin. The plan is to propose a new position of Information Security Admin and nominate myself for the role. We're a decently sized financial organization with no infosec roles, which just seems silly. It's currently up to senior admin and myself to monitor all anti-virus and firewall logs, maintain network security, implement new firewall policies and VPNs. Except I've had to explain in childish terms how VPN tunnels work to the senior admin. He's very much a physical equipment guy and doesn't have much of a mind for the digital side of IT.

Any recommended talking points to hammer on to convince the org I'm worth an extra $15k focusing more on the infosec side of financial IT?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://jurinnov.com/information-security-compliance-which-regulations/

Which acronym applies to you? Scare them into giving you a raise and position!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Guys, what experience do you have regarding security training and monitoring?

I'm talking about products or services that provide a security awareness training and then monitor the effects of the training through false phishing and stuff of the sort - is there a company that stands out regarding such training?

I want to convince my boss that we can sell this service to our clients, possibly starting a new business area, and I'm currently looking for partners to possbily buy the information and products from.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Most of us use KnowBe4 for phishing training, at least. They've got a ton of educational videos as well but I wasn't impressed enough with them to go importing users, giving them accounts, and trying to get them to actually watch them.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 16, 2016

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't yet have the powershell chops to iterate through all shared folders and output file and share permissions. This one client has 8 billion shares each of which has subfolders with difference access controls. I guess I get to do this by hand :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If I ever take a subversive action just prior to quitting this place it will be to meld all the stupid network shares into a streamlined and sensible arrangement. The chaos it would create would be most enjoyable.

"BUT WHERE'S THE W DRIVE? AND X? AND Q? AND T? AND L? AND O? AND AND AND AND..." :byodood:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't yet have the powershell chops to iterate through all shared folders and output file and share permissions. This one client has 8 billion shares each of which has subfolders with difference access controls. I guess I get to do this by hand :(

How big is this environment?

This is one of the things Varonis does.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Varonis (DatAdvantage at least) might be the best enterprise product I've ever used, but it's expensive as balls.

I was once trying to do the exact same thing you're trying to do, and that started us on a demo of Varonis and led to buying it eventually.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Varonis (DatAdvantage at least) might be the best enterprise product I've ever used, but it's expensive as balls.

I was once trying to do the exact same thing you're trying to do, and that started us on a demo of Varonis and led to buying it eventually.

What's the pricing like? gently caress requesting quotes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jeoh posted:

What's the pricing like? gently caress requesting quotes.

High. It's impossible to say unless you get an actual quote, because obviously there are some major discounts and environmental differences that come into play. Your purchasing department definitely needs to talk to them to get an accurate idea. They licence by user count for AD modules, and by number of probe/collector/file servers, number of Exchange mailboxes, etc. All depends on what parts you buy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dick Trauma posted:

If I ever take a subversive action just prior to quitting this place it will be to meld all the stupid network shares into a streamlined and sensible arrangement. The chaos it would create would be most enjoyable.

"BUT WHERE'S THE W DRIVE? AND X? AND Q? AND T? AND L? AND O? AND AND AND AND..." :byodood:

Who uses mapped drives when you have SharePoint? :smug:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

You poor poor soul.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ptier posted:

You poor poor soul.

Nah my dude you just gotta login as the Site Collection Admin to Central Admin, update the permission inheritance on the sub-site then modify the document set meta-data and everyone sharing!

So simple they should rename it SimpleSharePoint.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

SharePoint Online with mapped drives :smug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There's one share just for the CEO's family pictures. 200 loving gigs of them. :negative:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

There's one share just for the CEO's family pictures. 200 loving gigs of them. :negative:

honestly, who cares*, he's running the company, it kind of is his choice to do what he wants with the stuff there.

*if you are running out of space and he refuses to buy more that's a problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bear in mind this is just one aspect of the way he treats the company staff and resources as if they're his personal playthings. And we are running short on diskspace and I can't get approval to expand, so blowing away 200 gigs of his dumb poo poo is appropriate. There's no good business reason for them to be on our server.

It's a quibble in the big picture of how lousy this place is but it still annoys me.

EDIT: VVVV Hmmmmmm! I'll take a look at those.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

Run JPEGMINI and PNGGauntlet against them, depending on what format they're stored in. You'll save as much as 100 GB of storage space and it'll be visually indistinguishable to him, especially if these are full 12+ megapixel straight off the camera/scanner or whatever.

https://pnggauntlet.com/
http://www.jpegmini.com/

In fact, for a lot of business image use as well, JPEGMini and PNGGauntlet are great ideas, particularly PNGGauntlet because that's entirely lossless recompression where JPEGMini is going to eliminate some small details.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

code:
Get-ChildItem \\server\share\* | Get-ACL | Select-Object path,owner,accesstostring,group | Export-CSV security.csv
This might get you started; recurse isn't set so this would only get you the top level directories of that domain. AccessTo will include permissions on the path like so:

quote:

COMPANY\JohnDoe Allow ReadAndExecute

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Trauma posted:

Bear in mind this is just one aspect of the way he treats the company staff and resources as if they're his personal playthings. And we are running short on diskspace and I can't get approval to expand, so blowing away 200 gigs of his dumb poo poo is appropriate. There's no good business reason for them to be on our server.

It's a quibble in the big picture of how lousy this place is but it still annoys me.

EDIT: VVVV Hmmmmmm! I'll take a look at those.

Put them all on an external drive and share that with him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Customer 10 months ago: Our primary internet connection is 4 times faster than our secondary connection. We're technically not supposed to use the primary connection during the day, but let's let it slide for now.
Customer 2 weeks ago: OMG why are we using the primary internet connection during the day?! This isn't supposed to happen!
Customer today, after support team made requested changes: Our branches are reporting that internet connectivity is incredibly slow. WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Jeoh posted:

SharePoint Online with mapped drives :smug:

There's a special place in hell for these people...

Honestly, all companies ought to offer IT Training for all new employees but we all know how that turns out...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Customer 10 months ago: Our primary internet connection is 4 times faster than our secondary connection. We're technically not supposed to use the primary connection during the day, but let's let it slide for now.
Customer 2 weeks ago: OMG why are we using the primary internet connection during the day?! This isn't supposed to happen!
Customer today, after support team made requested changes: Our branches are reporting that internet connectivity is incredibly slow. WHAT DID YOU DO?!

you fixed the glitch

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

This is the universe presenting you with the means to learn some powershell.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

How the gently caress does Exchange not have DBL support? What do people use as a spam addon for exchange so it isn't complete loving garbage

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

psydude posted:

... why would you not want to use the primary connection during the day?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FireSight posted:

... why would you not want to use the primary connection during the day?

It's a local government entity that piggybacks on another agency's network.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Mo_Steel posted:

code:
Get-ChildItem \\server\share\* | Get-ACL | Select-Object path,owner,accesstostring,group | Export-CSV security.csv
This might get you started; recurse isn't set so this would only get you the top level directories of that domain. AccessTo will include permissions on the path like so:

This is pretty close to where I was when I gave up, except I used WMI to get all the shares and then foreach() looped against that list. (While driving I realized just a bit ago that I would have to use Get-ChildItem -recurse because of the special snowflake subdirectories.) The issue I am finding is that I can't (don't know how to) filter accesstostring so that I only end up with interesting domain\secgroup entries and not NT AUTHORITY or BUILTIN whatever permissions. I can't seem to get any of the conditional logic operators to work on it.

Also, because I have to recurse through 4 or 5 directory layers, in an instance where a root share has 10 standard-permissioned subdirectories each with 10 standard subdirectories and 1 special snowflake folder, I will either have to code for every special condition (how?) or manually trawl through all the duplicates

Thanks for the help :)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Erwin posted:

This is the universe presenting you with the means to learn some powershell.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1617291080

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All of us at the corporate headquarters are required to attend one of those teambuilding "everyone work together to get out of a locked room," in groups that were selected by HR.

This is in lieu of a company picnic at a ballgame for all the families.

I declined explaining I have contractors scheduled off site to supervise, but I was told in no uncertain terms to be there.

Kill. Me. Now.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Look at this scrub and his PS v2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those room escape puzzles are actually quite good. But enforced fun time with work colleagues is not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've had a great time doing those room escapes with work groups :shrug:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Look at this scrub and his PS v2

I'm pretty sure it's just the second edition of the book. It was published less than a year ago.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've had a great time doing those room escapes with work groups :shrug:

The only time I was subjected to this, I was paired with a person who would not stop farting. In a closed room. In a 150-year-old building. Without ventilation.

"Team building" where you are forced to suffer for the company can go to hell. If you want to build a team without spending money, setup a goddamn pot luck.

Edit: Oh, and the lady in there was convinced that Canada was secretly the British wing of the Kremlin. :shrug: It was fun listening to her while trying not to pass out for two hours.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the second edition of the book. It was published less than a year ago.
"This edition is appropriate for PowerShell version 3 and later."

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

devmd01 posted:

All of us at the corporate headquarters are required to attend one of those teambuilding "everyone work together to get out of a locked room," in groups that were selected by HR.

This is in lieu of a company picnic at a ballgame for all the families.

I declined explaining I have contractors scheduled off site to supervise, but I was told in no uncertain terms to be there.

Kill. Me. Now.

Scout out the situation/theme park before-hand. Bring lock-picks or thermite, as appropriate.

"What? I'm just practicing disaster readiness."

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man the more I hang out with guys who used to be technical and moved into management naturally and hate it, the less I ever hope to be that person.

On the plus side of this job, I've finally gotten past the "clean up bullshit" that I had to deal with from the previous not as technical network SE, and now I am architecting and helping close huge projects that I'm actually excited to build. VARs own.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

There does seem to be a 3rd edition coming out in a couple months that's updated for PS v5, fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617294160