Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Is there any simple way to add custom fonts? Using Fx to dump into the app's /assets/fonts folder doesn't work (read-only, of course), but there doesn't seem to be a provision for unofficial user-selected fonts like there is for themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Having a weird bug. Every time I open any link the app just crashes. Using a Redmi note 3 with the latest stable MIUI version. Tried reinstalling the app but it still happens.

Edit: doesn't happen in the beta branch.

Adnor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 19, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There've been some fixes for those MIUI phones, they do some weird stuff internally that breaks code

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

baka kaba posted:

There've been some fixes for those MIUI phones, they do some weird stuff internally that breaks code

Definitely not sending your awful posts to China

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this has been mentioned lately, but can we please get a fix for imgur images randomly breaking (requiring multiple reloads to resolve), or at the very least a "refresh this image" option?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone else have the issue when opening a forums link with the app thatbit doesn't jump to the post but stays at the top of the page instead?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Is it possible to create a thread from the app?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ornithology posted:

Is it possible to create a thread from the app?

Nope.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not quite by design, but it's apparently a colossal pain in the rear end to code in and Android devices that aren't obnoxious to type longform on need to get a lot more available before it's worth doing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's not massively different to posting a reply, but there's just enough awkward stuff (like thread tags) and legacy code to work around that it's a hassle to do properly. Properly as in, thoroughly tested and made absolutely sure it doesn't accidentally post in the wrong place and yr banned

It'll probably happen at some point, if someone has the time and motivation

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Why isn't there a way to instantly go fullscreen with scrubby zoom on images? I NEED ANSWERS!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Buttmeister posted:

Why isn't there a way to instantly go fullscreen with scrubby zoom on images? I NEED ANSWERS!

Good question, never had an idea for a good implementation I guess? Might've thought of something just now. As always the answer is "more webviews" :downsgun:

Problem is, I don't have time for that at the moment. I'll try to at least get the beta out this weekend.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I can't seem to zoom into any pictures; touching one just brings up the option to view externally or save. Pinching doesn't do anything either. Am I missing an obvious way to do it, or is it not a feature?

Just wanted to check in case it's just me. Love the app.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

As far as I know you never could do that in the app, something to do with how the web view is fixed I'm guessing. Would save me a few trips to imgur proper though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Literally the post above yours guys!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wouldn't the preferred way to handle it be to use those weird pop out Chrome views?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... What does the attach file function do? When I use it, my posts don't seem to publish and I was looking for a way to post a selfie.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have attempted to write a post with a file attachment directly after my last post and before this one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can you upload the file to imgur and link it here? What device on which version of Android?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sereri posted:

Can you upload the file to imgur and link it here? What device on which version of Android?

Yes I am able to do that, but I'm not sure what the attach file function is supposed to do, then?

Motorola G 2, whatever is the latest edition of Android.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yes I am able to do that, but I'm not sure what the attach file function is supposed to do, then?

Motorola G 2, whatever is the latest edition of Android.

Well it's supposed to be for attaching files but seems to be broken for you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... What does the attach file function do? When I use it, my posts don't seem to publish and I was looking for a way to post a selfie.

Does it work in a browser?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So I tried various things regarding image attachments today. Images too big are cought by the app, as well as if the image is not actually retrieved from what ever file manager handed it over. The only way for me to make a post not show up was to use an image format, that was not actually supported by the forums (.gif, .jpg, .png only). I doubt that is causing you problems, but I made the app look for this anyway.

So basically I got nothing. I just know that for me, everything works perfectly. So let's do it like this, if you have problems with it on the current version, find an acceptable image, smaller than the allowed 1MB, with a filetype png or jpg and attach it here. If it does not work, upload it to imgur and post it here like that. Maybe I can draw something from that. Again, please with your device name and an accurate android version (settings --> about the {device})

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Well I know it caught images that were too large before the update.

Edit: I tried posting it as an attachment and nothing posted.
Edit2, as imgur MESSAGE REDACTED
Well, preview certainly doesn't work, so here I think it is.

Phone: Moto G 2nd gen
Android 6.0 - do you need the kernal info?

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 19, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri's asking you to upload an image you're having trouble with (to imgur) so he can troubleshoot exactly why it's not working, otherwise there's not much he can do!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Sereri's asking you to upload an image you're having trouble with (to imgur) so he can troubleshoot exactly why it's not working, otherwise there's not much he can do!

I'm working on it. Please give me a moment.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Does it work in a browser?

It timed out in my Chrome browser just now: error empty response.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well I tried it in the app and it did not work (:toot:) so I tried it in Firefox and Senor Lowtax told me that "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 1280 x 1024. " :ms:

That will be interesting to solve.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. Obviously you can remove the image.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sereri posted:

Well I tried it in the app and it did not work (:toot:) so I tried it in Firefox and Senor Lowtax told me that "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 1280 x 1024. " :ms:

That will be interesting to solve.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. Obviously you can remove the image.

Thank you!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never really thought about this until just now but is there a technical reason why the app doesn't show admin messages/the red threads that get stickied across every forum or is it just a lot of backend stuff that isn't worth the trouble?

site fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 19, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's one of those things that should be relatively easy but isn't due to how Awful's backend works. I looked at it a few times and every time I go ugggh and move on. It's certainly possible, just haven't found a nice way to do it yet that works well within the app. It's high up there on my personal list though.

Interestingly, last I checked none of the other apps show them as well, so it's not just Awful.apk being weird like with thread posting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I kinda figured that was what was up

I choose to blame radium

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

Can we get the same functionality on image attachments? I would at least like to be able to download them directly.
Done.

And with that :toot:

- New transition screen
- New forum index
- Post preview. Video-related stuff only has placeholders due to limitations.
- Ability to close/reopen threads
- Added "Display Image" options to the image action menus. Zoom away!
- Rearranged image action menu in the process
- Added basic PM notifications
- If you have disabled gifs, tapping emoticons will now resume / pause their animation.
- Fixed a few bugs that made you crash
- More change-log in the app

Apparently it's the first version coming out of beta since May. So yeah, everything is different I guess.

:munch:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is the "youtu" bug on embedded video tags fixed in this version?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That's a forum bug actually. There's work-around in place via javascript for the forums but that doesn't work for Awful.apk. I'll ask ZDR.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh how odd. Thanks anyways, I love the app and how it enables me to endure another day at the office.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

Done.

And with that :toot:

- New transition screen
- New forum index
- Post preview. Video-related stuff only has placeholders due to limitations.
- Ability to close/reopen threads
- Added "Display Image" options to the image action menus. Zoom away!
- Rearranged image action menu in the process
- Added basic PM notifications
- If you have disabled gifs, tapping emoticons will now resume / pause their animation.
- Fixed a few bugs that made you crash
- More change-log in the app

Apparently it's the first version coming out of beta since May. So yeah, everything is different I guess.

:munch:

Awesome, thanks dude!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have you guys done any Nougat testing? I'm seeing some little draw artifacts and such but I'm not sure if I should be blaming the app or the OS yet

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Have you guys done any Nougat testing? I'm seeing some little draw artifacts and such but I'm not sure if I should be blaming the app or the OS yet

I'm getting some glitching when scrolling up or down on the forum index, the thread icon colors flicker white or change color for an instant. Nexus 5x on 7.0. I'm not in the beta so this is the most recent live version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I see that but only the first time I visit the forum listing. I think it's just loading the new icons. However, I'm only on Lollipop.