Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
select and hold alt to move them, shift rotates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SickZip posted:

Veterancy really elevates them but handgunners are the masters of wildly swingy battle performance for sometimes non obvious reasons.

I'll have a string of battles where they don't pull their weight and I'll get frustrated with them. Then there will be a battle where there's a perfect combination of terrain, placement, and circumstance that causes them to go Ham and singlehandedly win it. Their probably the trickiest unit to use imo.

Any time your ranged units can sit there and fire into enemies unopposed, they're going to rack up a ton of damage. Anecdotally, it feels like ranged units that can fire into an already engaged unit's flank/back will break their morale almost instantly if they can actually hurt the unit in question, and handgunners can hurt everything. The main limitation of handgunners, of course, is that being direct fire they have problems jockeying for position if you aren't fighting downhill or checkerboarding (which is practically cheating with how badly it fucks the AI). If you can successfully flank a line with handgunners and keep them from getting engaged or run down by cavalry, though, you can basically rout an enemy line as fast as you can re-position them to shoot butts.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

ZoninSilver posted:

Tried my hand at a bit of post game commentary of the matches between me and ZearothK, there's some issues with recording not starting in time and other amateur hour stuff, but hopefully worth a watch regardless, the forum doesn't like me trying to link the playlist itself, but there's one for all three rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW06mGwzYHA

This is great, I was hoping I'd get to see some of the matches and the commentary is good.

Thanks!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Anyone know what in the latest patch turned mortars so deadly against light infantry? I wonder if they might be worth taking a unit of in MP now.

Edit: ha, first time not phoneposting in a while. Thanks for the redtext, thread!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that is the kind of groggy poo poo that doesn't even fly in TG, it's best just to report idiot garbage babies like KM Scorchio and move on rather than make yourself a target for passive aggressive title purchases. I'm sure if you PMed a mod, you could get it changed back and get him banned in one fell swoop.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 16, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Or just ignore it which means they wasted their money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think the mods would really ban a guy for buying a lame custom title.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mods do not punish people for giving money to Lowtax.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Four Score posted:

I'm sure if you PMed a mod, you could get it changed back and get him banned in one fell swoop.

hot takes from a 2014 reg :nallears:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^lmao, any idiot trying to pull regdate rank in TYOOL 2016 :sad:

Endorph posted:

I don't think the mods would really ban a guy for buying a lame custom title.

No, you're right, but being really defensive about using the word rape to the point of buying custom titles for being called out is the kind of hill I'd expect a shitbag like him to die on

Four Score fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
:confused:

I wasn't pulling 'regdate rank' (which is lol anyway), I was pointing out that only someone who's been posting as recently as 2014 would think a mod who give one single gently caress about a custom title, let alone to the point of putting in a ban for one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
2014 regdate are scum.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

HiroProtagonist posted:

:confused:

I wasn't pulling 'regdate rank' (which is lol anyway), I was pointing out that only someone who's been posting as recently as 2014 would think a mod who give one single gently caress about a custom title, let alone to the point of putting in a ban for one.

way to completely miss the forest for the trees, but please keep inadvertently promoting the use of the word rape to describe what happens in a video game about fantasy battles? or don't, because it's embarrassing and shameful

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Death to anyone who isn't... gently caress, what's my regdate?

Also, tbh that title is a great trophy, it just screams "I made a guy who's worryingly attached to the word rape so mad he put down actual cash money".

E: Hah, look at me cherry tapping 2012 :smuggo:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Four Score posted:

way to completely miss the forest for the trees, but please keep inadvertently promoting the use of the word rape to describe what happens in a video game about fantasy battles? or don't, because it's embarrassing and shameful

Sweet irony, please spare this man

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Hey guys what's going on in- oh

Hopefully, rape is not turned into a meme by idiots.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
HOW ABOUT THEM WARHAMS, EH? I've been playing that Border Princes/notspain/notitaly mod that the one semi annoying guy made, it's surprisingly fun! I really enjoy different start positions and the alternate roster is good fun, I can't wait till CA starts dropping some official different starting factions, or maybe retroactively allowing the current ones different circumstances, el la Beastmen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Four Score posted:

No, you're right, but being really defensive about using the word rape to the point of buying custom titles for being called out is the kind of hill I'd expect a shitbag like him to die on

If you'd take a moment to think you'd realize that it's very unlikely KM Scorpio (or whatever) purchased that title. Both of them got custom titles in very quick succession which means it's more likely a third party bought both.

Now calm down already jeez.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I dunno if it's a bug or just the content but because of the beastman ambush stance like every single offensive battle I take is an identical set up on the same beast path, it's poopy.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
That's pretty much how the beast ambushes work and yeah it sucks. There's three maps total apparently, I've managed to see the second one at the end of a campaign

E: white noise posting since 2013 I guess

Frankly fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2016

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Mukip posted:

ubercrunchy and Wookums replays are in:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aRlNURzRqX2xTOE0/view?usp=sharing

First round is another Dwarf vs Beastmen match-up. Minotaurs have less health than a unit of Gors so they are something of a glass cannon when it comes to being shot at, but in this match they weren't targeted by the Quarrelers again, which allowed them to savage the Dwarfen infantry. Nonetheless the Beastmen army was too small to outlast the Dwarfs in a fight. I suspect those BM characters could have had some abilities removed to cut costs, or one less unit of Minotaurs could have paid for multiple units of Gors. I wouldn't overlook Bestigors either. This was another close one though, mainly due to the questionable decision of the ubercrunchy to split up his Dwarf units rather than keep them together, which almost allowed Wookums to make a comeback with his chariot micro.

In the second BM vs VC round, a bunch of Minotaurs with great weapons make it difficult for Mannfred to get anything done on his zombie dragon. Mr. Wookums may have benefited from sniping the BM wizard or general early on with an overcasted Spirit Leech, but instead they only managed to cast a wet fart of a Wind of Death. Effectively shutting down the Vampire flanking and aerial charges is a great way to beat them since they they often lose a straight-up grind.

I brought a unit of Irondrakes game 1 because I'd never used them before, and probably 100% misused them because they did gently caress-all. I should have just grouped up my remaining infantry at the end and let his chariots come to me rather than chasing them around. Also his minotaur were all shield variant IIRC, that's why I didn't focus them with the quarrelers. Or does their shield even work while they're in melee?

Game 2 was fun. I hadn't used great weapon minotaur before but knew they had anti large, so I took 2 units to throw at whatever monsters he brought along. It was pretty funny watching Mannfred land and then almost immediately run away when the minotaur charged in. I completely forgot about my bray shaman for most of the battle, I summoned a cygor and then next thing I know he's alone in a field on the verge of routing. I cast devolve maybe once the entire battle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shields don't make them totally immune to archer fire, it's just a 25% block chance. If they're a big threat like minotaurs with low hp, two or three units of quarallerers focusing fire will still take them down.

Besides, it's only when they're being shot at from the front, so you could make your formation wide and shoot at them from the sides as they come in.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Endorph posted:

shields don't make them totally immune to archer fire, it's just a 25% block chance. If they're a big threat like minotaurs with low hp, two or three units of quarallerers focusing fire will still take them down.

Besides, it's only when they're being shot at from the front, so you could make your formation wide and shoot at them from the sides as they come in.

I think minotaurs get silver shield, so 50% block chance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How do missile spells interact with flying mounts? Do you preferentially want to cast them from the ground to get nice piercing shots, or does it not matter?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

How do missile spells interact with flying mounts? Do you preferentially want to cast them from the ground to get nice piercing shots, or does it not matter?

Missile Spells tend to be both far more accurate and devastating when cast from, or used against flying targets, so it can be a double-edged sword.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

I dont know posted:

I think minotaurs get silver shield, so 50% block chance.

Shield minotaurs get the silver one, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

got them confused with gor herds

there's only 9 models in the minotaur unit tho, like 160 guys firing at them is still a lot for them to block.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there some option or mod that makes each squad have more individual units in it or something? I feel like I see a lot of screenshot where each squad is huge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is there some option or mod that makes each squad have more individual units in it or something? I feel like I see a lot of screenshot where each squad is huge.
unit size in the graphic options. you can toggle it on for unranked multiplayer matches too.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It doesn't effect strength of the units or anything, just the size of the squad?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unsure if the unit's total HP changes, but the combat stats remain the same.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It doesn't effect strength of the units or anything, just the size of the squad?

Combat stats are the same, single model units get more health, pretty sure units get overall more health since each model still has the same individual HP and now there's more of them. Probably makes artillery more effective since it's harder to miss bigger targets? Not sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

human-sized melee lords become less effective since ungrim or whoever can still only kill one or two dudes per attack, and he's attacking at the same rate

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Endorph posted:

human-sized melee lords become less effective since ungrim or whoever can still only kill one or two dudes per attack, and he's attacking at the same rate

On the other hand, still only ~20 guys can attack him and now he's got a billion health. Lords are super hard to kill with rank and file infantry on Ultra size

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
What are ranked mp matches set to for unit size?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

bonds0097 posted:

What are ranked mp matches set to for unit size?

Large (I.E. 3 warmachines, 9 minotaurs). I'm personally convinced the game is balanced around that size

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How well would a goblin line in front of Black Orcs do against a Dwarf army? I'm thinking of using the Goblins as quarreler targets, but I'm worried that the Black orcs won't be able to last long enough against Dwarfs without shields.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
420 beat me 2-0. I think I did better this time around, but still have a lot to learn. Despite losing, it was a lot of fun! I definitely need to work on my micro, the Empire Cavalry and Vargheists performed pretty badly for me

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!ndoBBQ7B!Dy60tNHarS4RAv1IHqhbmCT6OhnF8oXrXWiItXYrOIw

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
It can work, sort of. Even campaign AI has a nasty habit of focusing on anything without a shield, so Big Uns, Black Orcs, Trolls can take a savaging. Gobbo shields can work but I wouldn't rely on it 100% and they're still excellent at taking charges from anything while your Black Orcs get a nice run up

The best thing I find against dwarfs is realize your cavalry advantage (because you actually have cavalry) and bring them instead of skirmishers V dwarfs unless you're going for Night Goblin shenanigans. Roll up everything at once to minimize Quarreler shooting time as they are pretty much Enemy #1 to take out most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kaza42 posted:

420 beat me 2-0. I think I did better this time around, but still have a lot to learn. Despite losing, it was a lot of fun! I definitely need to work on my micro, the Empire Cavalry and Vargheists performed pretty badly for me

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!ndoBBQ7B!Dy60tNHarS4RAv1IHqhbmCT6OhnF8oXrXWiItXYrOIw

For your empire match, I'd say you definitely kept your foot force way too clumped together. He took a lot less mortar attrition than you did. You also wasted your cavalry. As a rule of thumb, they should never go into the front of a unit, and should definitely not be anywhere near spears or halberds.

• Locked thread