Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How about the Vlad Taltos series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's more of traditional fantasy, though. Swords, horses, dragons. It's a lot of fun but a bit outside the subgenre.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

That's more of traditional fantasy, though. Swords, horses, dragons. It's a lot of fun but a bit outside the subgenre.

They're kind of an explicit reversal of the subgenre. Noir/crime trappings in a fantasy world rather than fantasy trappings bolted onto a modern detective novel.

Anyway, I really enjoy Brust's work (though I'm less fond of the later ones in that series than the first few). Of course if you want a complete departure from urban fantasy, his Phoenix Guards books are one big Dumas pastiche and a hell of a lot of fun.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Wade Wilson posted:

I actually liked that Castor was a fuckup that is just surviving his cases instead of actually winning on his own (he usually has to have someone else do the loving-poo poo-up for him most of the time).

It also helped that the audiobook narrator puts just the right amount of personality into Castor's narration vs. other character dialogue bits.

EDIT: Well, I'm all caught up on the Laundry Series by Charles Stross.

I've read Dresden, Rivers of London, Iron Druid (shudder), Felix Castor, Alex Verus, Sandman Slim, Daniel Faust, Twenty Palaces and now the Laundry Files. What's next that won't make me cringe at how terrible the writing is?

The Pax Arcana series by Elliott James is pretty great. It's about a quasi-werewolf monster hunter who, at the start of the series, has been living in hiding ever since he was discovered to be not 100% human. There's a fairly unique take on the Masquerade as well, with it being an actual magical force instead of being just self preservation and social conventions.

Also, while John is pretty drat competent, he's also not so overpowered that he wins all of his battles on his own. Actually, I don't think that there's a single climactic book villain that he defeats one on one, instead relying on a team effort or arranging for the right people to be in the right place at the right time to take the proverbial shot.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

docbeard posted:

his Phoenix Guards books are one big Dumas pastiche and a hell of a lot of fun.

They are fantastic. The commentary and pretension peppered throughout by the narrator is perfect. And some of the chapter titles... The first book is pure gold.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

They're kind of an explicit reversal of the subgenre. Noir/crime trappings in a fantasy world rather than fantasy trappings bolted onto a modern detective novel.

Anyway, I really enjoy Brust's work (though I'm less fond of the later ones in that series than the first few). Of course if you want a complete departure from urban fantasy, his Phoenix Guards books are one big Dumas pastiche and a hell of a lot of fun.

Agreed. The Taltos books arrive at the noir/magic combo from the fantasy side, rather than the modern day side.

But they're great, mostly. There's a couple duds in there, but the series is like 15 books long at this point.

You're also right about the Phoenix Guards. That series is a lot of fun, if you don't mind the Dumas-esque, paid-by-the-word style.

The part where the friends join the guards and then all manage to get their superior officers killed in increasingly unlikely ways is a riot. It sounds dumb when summarized like that, but it's funny as hell in the book.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed. The Taltos books arrive at the noir/magic combo from the fantasy side, rather than the modern day side.

But they're great, mostly. There's a couple duds in there, but the series is like 15 books long at this point.

You're also right about the Phoenix Guards. That series is a lot of fun, if you don't mind the Dumas-esque, paid-by-the-word style.

The part where the friends join the guards and then all manage to get their superior officers killed in increasingly unlikely ways is a riot. It sounds dumb when summarized like that, but it's funny as hell in the book.

And the dialog.

A:"Sir, pray tell me what is on your mind?"
B:"What? You wish that I tell you my thoughts on the matter?"
A:"Why I believe that is the very thing I just asked"
B:"Then I shall elucidate upon them post haste"
A:"I could ask for nothing more"

You'd think it would get old, but it just keeps getting more grandiose and funnier as it goes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I actually forgot that I'd read Pax Arcana (what is out so far). Also, Paul Cornell's Shadow Police books.

I've also read The Rook and Stilletto.

Hm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

And the dialog.

You'd think it would get old, but it just keeps getting more grandiose and funnier as it goes.
Well, the authors he's spoofing were paid by line...

Gotta n'th the Paarfi of Roundwood love here, these books are nothing short of amazing, especially since I read most of Dumas as a kid and the style rings all the right nostalgic bells.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 16, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Decius posted:

The Craft Sequence gets brought up a lot here, even if it is not quite the typical Urban Fantasy with a down-on-his/her-luck investigator in a contemporary city. It is very good however.

Going to give this series a shot.

quote:

I also devoured the Kate Daniels series this year, your enjoyment might depend on how much you like some sprinkles of Romance novels (and a female protagonis) in your manly UF.

I generally don't care for "romance" in my fiction reading (especially if it's being used as a crutch to pad the word count in the book).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wade Wilson posted:

Going to give this series a shot.
If you end up liking that one, also check out City of Stairs.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am presently reading the first Mindspace Investigations novel. It's similar to Dresden in a sense, but it's not urban fantasy so much as a sort of pulp detective / cyberpunk thing. I think I saw it described as being sort of like Blade Runner crossed with Chinatown. I am roughly halfway through the book so far; it's not bad.

I've read all the series so far and I like them. If you think they guy is too powerful ability wise, that gets "fixed" at the end.

Decius posted:

The Craft Sequence gets brought up a lot here, even if it is not quite the typical Urban Fantasy with a down-on-his/her-luck investigator in a contemporary city. It is very good however. I also devoured the Kate Daniels series this year, your enjoyment might depend on how much you like some sprinkles of Romance novels (and a female protagonis) in your manly UF. Definitely Pax Arcana should be something you'd enjoy though.

The Craft Sequence series is ace, the magical law/investment banks theme just feels fresh and well put together.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

flosofl posted:

And the dialog.

"Why, I've been asking for nothing else for an hour!"

and later, he starts to lampshade it.

"You wish that I te--"
"Yes! Yes! Speak, man!"

(or something like that)

I think I'm gonna go dig up my copies now.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am presently reading the first Mindspace Investigations novel. It's similar to Dresden in a sense, but it's not urban fantasy so much as a sort of pulp detective / cyberpunk thing. I think I saw it described as being sort of like Blade Runner crossed with Chinatown. I am roughly halfway through the book so far; it's not bad.
I was pretty underwhelmed with Mindspace. The protagonist isn't particularly compelling and the female lead is pretty transparently Early Murphy but with bigger boobs and less competence..

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Geokinesis posted:

The Craft Sequence series is ace, the magical law/investment banks theme just feels fresh and well put together.

Seriously- there's pretty much nothing about this series I don't enjoy, it's just an interesting take on a fantasy world.

I just finished the newest book that came out recently, and just, so good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Decius posted:

I also devoured the Kate Daniels series this year, your enjoyment might depend on how much you like some sprinkles of Romance novels (and a female protagonis) in your manly UF. Definitely Pax Arcana should be something you'd enjoy though.

I really didn't care for the Kate Daniels books. I love the worldbuilding. I like the main character. I like most of the tertiary characters. But the whole love interest plotline was just so painfully bad. "Mated to the alpha werelion billionaire pack leader" style romance bad. Everything about it was terrible.

Pax Arcana is excellent, though. One of the best in the genre, easily. Better than Dresden, even, I think.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I like Stephen Blaockmoore's Eric Carter series - though there's only two books so far (Dead Things, Broken Souls). He wrote a third, tore it up because he thought it sucked, and started it over - it's due in late 2017. But City of the Lost is a stand-alone book set in the same LA with a different protagonist and shares some secondary characters - I'd recommend starting with that one first if you're interested.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'd also recommend Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. Werewolves, fae, vampires - with a healthy bit of Native American mythos - set in Washington State. Well-written and not cringe-inducing.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wizchine posted:

I like Stephen Blaockmoore's Eric Carter series - though there's only two books so far (Dead Things, Broken Souls). He wrote a third, tore it up because he thought it sucked, and started it over - it's due in late 2017. But City of the Lost is a stand-alone book set in the same LA with a different protagonist and shares some secondary characters - I'd recommend starting with that one first if you're interested.

I did really enjoy those books and was excited for the third before he restarted- good to know it actually has a date finally. Might need to look up that standalone one now.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

anilEhilated posted:

The Rook? Or the Shadow Police series by Paul Cornell.

I've read The Rook-its fun and different. Check it out.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

OmniBeer posted:

I did really enjoy those books and was excited for the third before he restarted- good to know it actually has a date finally. Might need to look up that standalone one now.

Ah, even better - I misremembered and it's slotted for February 2017 - not so far off. From the author's site:

"A lot of people have been asking when HUNGRY GHOSTS will be coming out, since it was so badly delayed. Well, I turned it in in January, and since it was over a year late they had to figure out where to put it into the production schedule. Right now it's set for February 7th, 2017. Trying to get it in any sooner would be like trying to slot a boxcar into the middle of a moving train."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I felt like The Rook spent way too long on exposition and kind of descended into incoherence toward the end, but I enjoyed the ride.

Also, to whoever originally recommended the Last Policeman books: THANK YOU.

They've not been a super-popular read around here, and they certainly aren't perfect, but I really enjoyed Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, especially the couple in the middle of the run where she isn't playing with big apocalyptic plots and just has some neat supernatural private investigator stuff going on.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I picked up Descended from Dragons: Moonlight Dragon Book 1, a book a goon wrote and pimped in the thread. It's in the same neighborhood as Dresden, but with some degree of romance. Not as much as you'd think. Some decent characters, couple memorable scenes, dialogue went fast.

I wish it had more plot meat on the bones, but it doesn't feel it's length and read pretty quick. The MC does burn down a building with magic, though. 3/5 Dresdens, not bad urban fantasy.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Wade Wilson posted:

I've read Dresden, Rivers of London, Iron Druid (shudder), Felix Castor, Alex Verus, Sandman Slim, Daniel Faust, Twenty Palaces and now the Laundry Files. What's next that won't make me cringe at how terrible the writing is?

Repairman Jack is pretty good, from what I remember. It's a series that ties into another arc which is pretty epic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

Repairman Jack is pretty good, from what I remember. It's a series that ties into another arc which is pretty epic.

The Adversary Cycle. There's also three young Repairman Jack novels that are their own thing. Plus the novel Black Wind is in the same universe.

Funnily enough the last book in the series, Night World, was published long before the other Repairman Jack books. When he decided to create the series to tell Jack's story of what happened between The Tomb and Night World, he ended up having to highly revise Night World and re-release. I have both editions and there are significant changes.

Repairman Jack is one of my favorite series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

The Adversary Cycle. There's also three young Repairman Jack novels that are their own thing. Plus the novel Black Wind is in the same universe.

Funnily enough the last book in the series, Night World, was published long before the other Repairman Jack books. When he decided to create the series to tell Jack's story of what happened between The Tomb and Night World, he ended up having to highly revise Night World and re-release. I have both editions and there are significant changes.

Repairman Jack is one of my favorite series.

I've been looking this up and it looks interesting - is there a suggested reading order?

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

I've been looking this up and it looks interesting - is there a suggested reading order?

If you read The Keep and The Tomb, that sets up the Adversary Cycle and introduces Repairman Jack, so you can jump off into the rest of the Repairman Jack series from there. Alternately, if you really dig that series, just read everything up to Reprisal and stop at Nightworld, since Nightworld is the big apocalyptic ending that happens after the Jack books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it turns out I actually read The Keep before, had no idea it continued into anything. Got myself The Tomb, will see where it goes from there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

The whole collection is called "The Secret History of the World".

This page has the Books arranged in chronological order of events (this is F Paul Wilson's official site).

http://repairmanjack.com/books/the-secret-history-of-the-world/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wizchine posted:

I'd also recommend Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. Werewolves, fae, vampires - with a healthy bit of Native American mythos - set in Washington State. Well-written and not cringe-inducing.

I'm always the one recommending this series (and the slightly better Alpha series in the same universe).

Also, reiterate the Joe Pitt casebooks by Charlie Huston.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, it turns out I actually read The Keep before, had no idea it continued into anything. Got myself The Tomb, will see where it goes from there.

Amusingly enough, there is no tomb in The Tomb. IIRC, his publisher slapped the title on, because they wanted the series to all have "The (Whatever)" titles, and just arbitrarily chose it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just about finished with the first Sandman Slim, is there any noticeable rise or dip in quality over the next couple books?

I liked it, but it's a little weird how he often views himself as an underdog even while talking about murdering hell's generals. With how easy everything went down at Avila, and in the nothing versus Mason you'd think he would have a little more self confidence. Another thing that I thought was weird was that neither Parker nor Mason seemed to give a poo poo about their plan failing, they just say "Well, on to the next plan I guess!" Did Mason actually even expect the Avila thing to work? Given his conversation with Stark at the end it seemed like Avila wasn't even really a priority for him and didn't fit into his overall scheme. I guess maybe he just had plans for whether Stark succeeded at Avila or not, as a proper villain should.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Inspector 34 posted:

Just about finished with the first Sandman Slim, is there any noticeable rise or dip in quality over the next couple books?

I liked it, but it's a little weird how he often views himself as an underdog even while talking about murdering hell's generals. With how easy everything went down at Avila, and in the nothing versus Mason you'd think he would have a little more self confidence. Another thing that I thought was weird was that neither Parker nor Mason seemed to give a poo poo about their plan failing, they just say "Well, on to the next plan I guess!" Did Mason actually even expect the Avila thing to work? Given his conversation with Stark at the end it seemed like Avila wasn't even really a priority for him and didn't fit into his overall scheme. I guess maybe he just had plans for whether Stark succeeded at Avila or not, as a proper villain should.

Yes. I personally liked the first, disliked two and three.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

torgeaux posted:

I'm always the one recommending this series (and the slightly better Alpha series in the same universe).

Also, reiterate the Joe Pitt casebooks by Charlie Huston.

Yes this series is pretty solid. Yeah it had the whole alpha male pack leader line interest thing but it's handles about as well it could be in my opinion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Inspector 34 posted:

It's a steady decline in quality through book 3, then a substantial reversal after that. Books five and six are on par with the first, if not a little better, you just have to wade through some poo poo to get there.

Edit: got my book numbers mixed up, corrected

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 17, 2016

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I would read the original Adversary cycle which is quite good with the possible exception of the deus ex machina bit at the very end. The Repairman Jack novels you can read at any point, but try to stop after the second or third of those books because they kind of turn into a libertarian superman power-fantasy which I'm not fond of (think of a lower-key Sword of Truth).

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh-huh. Not gonna lie, that's a scary comparison; how bad is it with regards to politics?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anilEhilated posted:

Uh-huh. Not gonna lie, that's a scary comparison; how bad is it with regards to politics?

Repairman Jack is a libertarian ubermensch.

Wilson is a pretty good writer when he's not shoving his political views down your throat.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

Repairman Jack is a libertarian ubermensch.

Wilson is a pretty good writer when he's not shoving his political views down your throat.

Yeah, it's not Larry Correia bad (but what is?), but boy, Wilson sure wants you to know how Jack can solve problems better than that mean old government can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

One of the people in Let's Play just self-published a short urban fantasy novel:

Chokes McGee posted:

Astin Fell lives the life of a struggling barista until he inexplicably sprouts wings and horns. Now he's the last servant of an unknown power, conscripted to fight the Taint---a horrific evil devouring the world one tiny piece at a time.

He'll have help: Nemesis, the shotgun-toting Goddess of Vengeance; Claudia Fischer, a woman with three different souls bonded inside of her; his nightmarish vampyre ex-girlfriend; and his telepathic house cat. But if Astin and his friends can't unravel the vast conspiracy lurking in the city's shadows, the Taint will consume everyone and everything in it... and there'll be nothing left to stop its spread.

It's a fun short read that helped to fill that ever longer Dresden wait. I hope the author keeps writing and improving.

Also, about Phoenix Guards, is it worth continuing on to the rest of the books?