Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

slavatuvs posted:

What ever happened to no clancy chat?
Clancy died so we must compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Eastern Europe: The Hunt For Red Potato.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

slavatuvs posted:

Its that time again friend. We have to have it at least quarterly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

blowfish posted:

Eastern Europe: The Hunt For Red Potato.

That's clearly in Belarus.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

Its that time again friend. We have to have it at least quarterly.
Last one was like in July though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If Russia full out invaded all their former warsaw pact holdings Germany would fall over them selves to excuse it and defend it, even offering up most of eastern germany (this would pass with a 90% referendum in bavaria). The entire thing would be blamed on NATO imperialism provoking poor russia and perhaps if Germany just totally disarmed and signed a treaty recognizing eastern europe as belonging forever to Russia it would finally make poor Putin feel safe. gently caress germany and especially gently caress the "german left"

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Enough Clancy chat. How's the bridge coming?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

OddObserver posted:

That might even cause Europe to stop buying Russian oil and gas!

For, like, a week. But no longer than that.
And only spot rate business. We wouldn't dare deviate from long term contracts.
Don't want to be seen as untrustworthy by a country that steals provinces from other countries, do we now.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Last one was like in July though.

Its not a perfect schedule. :)

In actual military news apparently Russia has reinforced its forces in Donbas with the 60th motorized brigade equipped with Tor-M2 AA missile system under the command of Lt. Colonel Sergey Tupichenko.

http://www.tvn24.pl/systemy-tor-m2-pojawily-sie-w-donbasie,668791,s.html

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Skeesix posted:

Enough Clancy chat. How's the bridge coming?

Bridge to Crimea looking good. 60th Motorized Construction Brigade reports that it's ready to construct create land bridge on the coast to Crimea this spring. Very fast process, you'll be surprised!

I suppose tonight I'll stare into the Abyss of Ukrainian politics since the fall of the USSR. Should be wonderfully depressing :smith:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That's clearly in Belarus.

Did it get stolen from Latvia?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Elyv posted:

Latvia never had potatoes, tovarich; is capitalist lie.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elyv posted:

Eastern Europeans make potato jokes about Belarus, which is the most correct version anyways, given that they clock pound of potatoes consumed. Per capita. Daily.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Eastern Europeans make potato jokes about Belarus, which is the most correct version anyways, given that they clock pound of potatoes consumed. Per capita. Daily.

It's also like the only thing left of their economy under Lukashenko. And they get to keep the hideous Soviet Belarus flag rather than appropriating the awesome Grand Duchy of Lithuania one, making them kinda Red.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Huh, the more you know.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elyv posted:

Huh, the more you know.
Latvia isn't too far behind though, we are 7th or so in potato consumption per capita, about 30% less than Belarus.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OddObserver posted:

It's also like the only thing left of their economy under Lukashenko. And they get to keep the hideous Soviet Belarus flag rather than appropriating the awesome Grand Duchy of Lithuania one, making them kinda Red.

They also make tractors. Huge, beautiful tractors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a decade old, but it ought to still be about the same, unless there have been dramatic shifts in potato world.

Looking at this, I suggest making Rwanda an honorary Eastern European country.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
No Ireland. Shameful.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It's a decade old, but it ought to still be about the same, unless there have been dramatic shifts in potato world.

Generally you would expect slight decline in outright potato consumption with increase in quality of life and public education, since nutritionally you won't really see diets or meal plans featuring potatoes all that often, but that is neither applicable to most countries there in meaningful fashion, nor does it affect the entire population, so I'd too think this holds true nowadays either.

Also drat you, Lithuania, again better than us. :argh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

waitwhatno posted:

They also make tractors. Huge, beautiful tractors.

They're also a major oyster exporter!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

If Russia full out invaded all their former warsaw pact holdings Germany would fall over them selves to excuse it and defend it, even offering up most of eastern germany (this would pass with a 90% referendum in bavaria). The entire thing would be blamed on NATO imperialism provoking poor russia and perhaps if Germany just totally disarmed and signed a treaty recognizing eastern europe as belonging forever to Russia it would finally make poor Putin feel safe. gently caress germany and especially gently caress the "german left"

Don't worry, the German Left will never be elected again, they've turned themselves into a bunch of assclowns no-one wants to work with. Even the Greens are considered more reliable as part of a coalition these days.

Of course there was the obligatory shitstorm when the new Weissbuch for the Bundeswehr hinted at maybe we need to defend ourselves against Russia a little bit more? But apparently everyone immediately forgot about that, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the news again. So I guess all signs point to Germany rearming, I guess. :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

They're also a major oyster exporter!
And caviar! And blue cheese! And salmon! Oh wait.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Of course there was the obligatory shitstorm when the new Weissbuch for the Bundeswehr hinted at maybe we need to defend ourselves against Russia a little bit more? But apparently everyone immediately forgot about that, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the news again. So I guess all signs point to Germany rearming, I guess. :shrug:

The broomsticks will be upgraded to vacuum cleaners.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm still damned impressed with Belarus's potato consumption considering they're a nation of 9 million while China has 1.6 billion.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kalstrams posted:

And caviar! And blue cheese! And salmon! Oh wait.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

blowfish posted:

No Ireland. Shameful.

The Irish aren't known for their consumation of potato, they are known for their failure to consume potato.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ukrainian politics is uh, fractious, to say the least. Not to mention confusing with it's split Party Vote/Geographical Vote seats system, with Runoff elections and etc. Dammit guys, just have preferential voting for gently caress's sake :negative:

Only managed to cover recent events so I still need to look at the 90's era, but overall politically speaking Ukraine looks kinda.. okay? It certainly has the fuckwit fringe going at the moment, but the wild fluctuations in votes from election to election makes it impossible for me to have a feel for how the future of them will go. At the very least, further EU involvement with free and untampered elections, courts and anti-corruption measures will hopefully bring about good results for them.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Dammit guys, just have preferential voting for gently caress's sake :negative:
This is basically true for most of the world.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think people brought up Seselj in here a few months ago. Well, he's doing a thing again:
https://theintercept.com/2016/08/16/serb-inspired-ethnic-cleansing-bosnia-leads-vote-trump-rally-belgrade/

:psyduck:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Some sort of "anti-terrorism" op in SPB today (supposedly involving people from the caucuses as the suspects), and a couple of shootouts near Moscow?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Apparently four militants from North Caucasus were killed in a shootout with FSB special forces in St. Petersburg. Also two guys from Central Asia armed with axes were killed when they tried to attack a police checkpoint near Moscow.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This has been posted in the Trump thread in C SPAN subforum, it's relevant to this thread too.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12512370497

There's supposed to be more coming this week about Paul Manafort and what he's been doing for the Kremlin before his current demoted gig with Donald Trump.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

slavatuvs posted:

there is a spectre haunting eastern europe. it is the spectre of a fat white Republican man who wrote lovely novels and died of a heart attack at 65

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Latest Caspian Report touches on some of the last week's discussions, here. The guy's from Azerbaijan and has consistently done solid explainers on various events in the region and, increasingly, around the world. Think it's about time I threw him a few dollars on Patreon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4sK36cU3Y

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, the German Left will never be elected again, they've turned themselves into a bunch of assclowns no-one wants to work with. Even the Greens are considered more reliable as part of a coalition these days.

For them to be elected again would require them to have been elected once before

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
edit: wrong thread

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 18, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Latest Caspian Report touches on some of the last week's discussions, here. The guy's from Azerbaijan and has consistently done solid explainers on various events in the region and, increasingly, around the world. Think it's about time I threw him a few dollars on Patreon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4sK36cU3Y

This is very high quality content. Thank you very much for posting it

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Forgive the question out of left field but is this article sensationalized?

http://reprints.longform.org/putin-conspiracy-banned-story-anderson

I'm fairly astonished and horrified. (Since there doesn't seem to be a Russia thread on any other subforum figured it might be best to ask here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

Forgive the question out of left field but is this article sensationalized?

http://reprints.longform.org/putin-conspiracy-banned-story-anderson

I'm fairly astonished and horrified. (Since there doesn't seem to be a Russia thread on any other subforum figured it might be best to ask here)

No. Not at all sensationalized. The Moscow apartment bombings have been long thought of, mostly overseas but also in Russia, a false flag attack that gave pretense for the second war with Chechnya as well as allow for Putin and United Russia to consolidate power. Given the fact of unusual behavior concerning the FSB's involvement as well as the Duma denying any independent investigation has not help disprove those rumors.

Also, what doesn't help is many of the Russian sources, investigators, and journalists who have tried to look into the apartment bombings have ended up dying of mysterious circumstances, most famously former FSB agent Alexander Litvinenko, who was assassinated in London via polonium poisoning, and oligarch billionaire Boris Berezovsky, whose death from hanging is still considered "open", or have been forced into exile.