Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Peak Geralt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Accordion Man posted:

And is slowly and inevitably dying out too.

Isn't that because monsters are dying out too? In the game they're everywhere but I heard in the books Geralt says he struggles to find work anymore.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

Case-in-point for this entire discussion:

What is that tattoo. :stare:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also that the process for creating Witchers is lost.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RatHat posted:

Isn't that because monsters are dying out too? In the game they're everywhere but I heard in the books Geralt says he struggles to find work anymore.
It's mainly because witchers just end up getting hunted down by mobs like what happened to the Wolf School after the attack on Kaer Mohren a century before the games which pretty much prevented the creation of more Wolf School witchers. It's to the point where Vesemir, Geralt, Eskel, Lambert, and technically Ciri are all that's left. If I remember right they are references that the other Witcher schools ain't doing that hot either.

But yeah, I remember it being brought up that monsters aren't as abundant in the books as they are in the games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The cat school seems like the only school that might still be pumping out Witchers. At least they seem better off than the Wolf school.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

poor life choice posted:

What is that tattoo. :stare:

You don't know about the glory that is the Blue Stripes tattoo?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RatHat posted:

The cat school seems like the only school that might still be pumping out Witchers. At least they seem better off than the Wolf school.
Perhaps, but I made sure they lost two members. :smuggo:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RatHat posted:

Book Geralt screws himself out of about as much work as he actually gets paid for. I think his ratio of jobs he's paid for versus jobs he either fucks up hilariously or gets screwed by the client is about 50:50.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

RatHat posted:

There's still enough monsters in Toussaint, the rest of the inhabited world is basically more or less stripped clean.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Lareine posted:

You don't know about the glory that is the Blue Stripes tattoo?

No. Go on. I thought I picked the Roche-friendly save state stuff, too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

poor life choice posted:

You need a Witcher 2 save for it to transfer over. You get it in an early side-quest in Flotsam where you get piss drunk with the Blue Stripes and Geralt wakes up the next morning hung over and with that tattoo.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 16, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

poor life choice posted:

It's a sidequest in Witcher 2. Get wasted with the blue stripes in act1 and get a sweet tattoo

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Incredible.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Shame there's no way to get it on PS4.

Morvran Voorhis: Have you ever been so inebriated that you tattooed yourself?
Geralt: ...yes, actually
Tattoo suddenly appears

Does anyone in W3 comment on it?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So how ere you supposed to access the tower with the wyvern on it for the Griffin gear quest? I ended up hopping directly at the drawbridge, landing on a tiny ledge, and sidling along until I found an unlikely wall to scrabble up and over. I couldn't find any other way up and my way seems unintentional.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

So how ere you supposed to access the tower with the wyvern on it for the Griffin gear quest? I ended up hopping directly at the drawbridge, landing on a tiny ledge, and sidling along until I found an unlikely wall to scrabble up and over. I couldn't find any other way up and my way seems unintentional.
There's an underwater passageway in the ocean below.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also you'll want to go back and find that underwater passage, because you also screwed yourself out of a circle of power.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And don't worry about the Drowners around the tunnel, the crossbow does huge amounts of damage when you're underwater.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Protip: Do not use exploding bolts when performing the old "shoot an apple off someone's head" trick.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I got a kick out of Geralt in the books. He's just such a grumbly dweeb, I can't help but like him for it. Geralt in the games is likeable too, he's just a fun dude who loves to play Gwent.

I think he's balanced out by Dandelion constantly clowning on him and telling strangers embarrassing stories.

Anyway, going through the game for the first time and I just finished clearing out all the Skellige Undiscovered Locations, except for the four or five that were too high level for me still or locked away by story progression. I hope Toussaint rises in quality again, because clearing out Skellige was WAY less fun than Velen. Just way too much empty water everywhere, and all the Undiscovered Locations out in the ocean were just the same thing over and over again. While in Velen I was praising this game for finally managing to make clearing out a map in a videogame fun, but boy did they drop the ball here.

Still having fun with the quests though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm half way through Novigrad (I think) and I still don't have enough Gwent cards to even use any deck but the Northern realms, despite hitting up every merchant/tavern I come across.

seems lovely

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Do only the Gwent quest and go to Skellige ASAP to be able to play other factions early. Alternatively, install this mod that adds all basic cards to the quartermaster in the Baron's castle (so cards that can only be won from generic merchants and such):

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1054/

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Viridiant posted:

I got a kick out of Geralt in the books. He's just such a grumbly dweeb, I can't help but like him for it. Geralt in the games is likeable too, he's just a fun dude who loves to play Gwent.

I think he's balanced out by Dandelion constantly clowning on him and telling strangers embarrassing stories.

Anyway, going through the game for the first time and I just finished clearing out all the Skellige Undiscovered Locations, except for the four or five that were too high level for me still or locked away by story progression. I hope Toussaint rises in quality again, because clearing out Skellige was WAY less fun than Velen. Just way too much empty water everywhere, and all the Undiscovered Locations out in the ocean were just the same thing over and over again. While in Velen I was praising this game for finally managing to make clearing out a map in a videogame fun, but boy did they drop the ball here.

Still having fun with the quests though.

I'm currently working my way through 100%ing all the achievements, and I'm so happy there's not one for getting all those locations. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Viridiant posted:

I got a kick out of Geralt in the books. He's just such a grumbly dweeb, I can't help but like him for it.

He's a likable character - despite his best efforts to project being a morally apathetic social outcast, he just can't help being a decent dude that misses his batshit crazy girlfriend. And Dandelion just gives him endless poo poo for it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

There's an underwater passageway in the ocean below.

Yeah that ended up being my exit point, so I worked backwards. I still found the place of power but I found it by going around the cliff and swimming there before I ever found the underwater entrance.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Viridiant posted:

I hope Toussaint rises in quality again

it does. hanza bases.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Yeah that ended up being my exit point, so I worked backwards. I still found the place of power but I found it by going around the cliff and swimming there before I ever found the underwater entrance.

I did the same thing: Somehow clamored my way up to the top, and then discovered the water entrance once I made my way down through the tower.

VVVV
I didn't know about the cave!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 17, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You can jump up to the entrance unless they've changed the geometry, but it's easier to just go in through the cave

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

10 Beers posted:

I'm currently working my way through 100%ing all the achievements, and I'm so happy there's not one for getting all those locations. I just can't bring myself to do it.

:same:

I'm really not looking forward to the 50 headshots one though.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
^^^ It's not TOO bad if you grind the devil's pit in Velen after completing blood and wine. Fast travel to the imperial palace then back, repeat. Slow motion and aim carefully. You can also Axii them. ^^^

The only achievement I have left is the "kill two contract monsters w/ no potions, oils, mutagens" thing. Now I can still have the skill tree things, just no r/g/b mutagens or B&W special mutagen selected, right? I think I did it properly with the NG+ griffin in white orchard. Figure the doppler is another trivial one.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
double post

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
triple post :pwn:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

poor life choice posted:

^^^ It's not TOO bad if you grind the devil's pit in Velen after completing blood and wine. Fast travel to the imperial palace then back, repeat. Slow motion and aim carefully. You can also Axii them. ^^^

The only achievement I have left is the "kill two contract monsters w/ no potions, oils, mutagens" thing. Now I can still have the skill tree things, just no r/g/b mutagens or B&W special mutagen selected, right? I think I did it properly with the NG+ griffin in white orchard. Figure the doppler is another trivial one.

I've got that one, and yeah, it's no bombs/signs/potions/decoctions/oils/mutagens. You can still have your skill tree skills equipped.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Might not be worth sharing, but I found this moment amusing, it's when Geralt's witnessing the burning doppler when first arriving to Novigrad.

Check out the background characters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

poor life choice posted:

Figure the doppler is another trivial one.
JFC. Use the White Frost Hound in the halfing beehive farm or something instead.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Nycticeius posted:

Might not be worth sharing, but I found this moment amusing, it's when Geralt's witnessing the burning doppler when first arriving to Novigrad.

Check out the background characters.

Holy poo poo, they're everywhere. Are they randomly placed and I just got unlucky, or did it happen to everybody else?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nycticeius posted:

Holy poo poo, they're everywhere. Are they randomly placed and I just got unlucky, or did it happen to everybody else?

Maybe it's just asset reuse, half the NPCs in the game look like that guy.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe it's just asset reuse, half the NPCs in the game look like that guy.

Sure, I know, but if they're handplaced in cutscenes, makes it more than just amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

JFC. Use the White Frost Hound in the halfing beehive farm or something instead.

That seems good too. Am I missing something with the doppler fight or are you just rightly calling any Geralt that would kill it a monster? It shouldn't have attacked! My NG+ Geralt makes nothing but horrible decisions, from getting a Lemmy to ending up in prison.

I got my happily ever after my first playthrough, I figure that NG+ is just a non-canon victory lap.