Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was a mistake to have isaac talk. it's part of what makes 1 a lot better than 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I really enjoy DS1 alot more than DS2 personally. It has a much better sense of atmosphere and location.

I agree, the DS1 ship is a really beautiful, fully realized environment, with a great map system to let you navigate it. The space-walk sections were a really inspired idea, too. I loved DS1.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was a mistake to have isaac talk. it's part of what makes 1 a lot better than 2.

I didn't like it at first but it grew on me a lot and I really love how pissed off he is in 3.

DS3's navigation is extremely bad but I like the idea of exploring space wreckage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah, I actually liked how absolutely sick of this poo poo he was in 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Was it here I talked about the FEAR series or was that the Early FPS thread? Anyway, I my favourites Are FEAR 2 and Perseus Mandate, but I loved all of them (except for FEAR 2: Reborn, that was pants).

I have all the Dead Space games on PC, but I've only played the first one, and even then not to completion. I was like, 95% finished with the first game but then I lost my saves at some point, and I haven't gotten the will to go through the game again. It was good, sure, but I keep on thinking of those bits that annoyed me and don't want to get through, again.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm playing FEAR 2 for the first time and in my opinion it kinda takes a nose dive almost into the realm of cheese. The scene where you're getting operated on and such... It's just going full gonzo whacko from the start when the first game slowly built it up really well. And my last FEAR 1 replay isn't that far off, not to mention I've played that game to death. Never really got around to the expansions though. Should probably look into them.

This is really awful pacing combined with a general lowered fidelity in the writing. I guess to make room for a sequel that wasn't going to happen.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 16, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

FEAR is basically Elfen Lied the game made by westerners.

Sure, have you seen Monolith's Shogo?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm well aware that monolith has a heavy Japanese influence. I mean do you remember when FEAR came out? Everyone was making the comparison.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 16, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well the villain is just ju-on ghost lady

they even ripped the end of ju-on2 off pretty hard for 3

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 16, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just on a personal level I prefered Dead Space 1 because of how crazy and weird the bosses were. Like that giant wall of flesh in the bio-tubes and the final worm thing. Nothing came close to those in 2, although I did love the little raptor monsters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, I actually liked how absolutely sick of this poo poo he was in 2.

that doesn't refute my point. horror games tend to be scarier when you can inhabit the character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drunken Baker posted:

Just on a personal level I prefered Dead Space 1 because of how crazy and weird the bosses were. Like that giant wall of flesh in the bio-tubes and the final worm thing. Nothing came close to those in 2, although I did love the little raptor monsters.

Oh god those things, to this day one of the most nerve wracking enemies I've fought in a game.

Well, until you figure out how to manipulate their AI anyway.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

that doesn't refute my point. horror games tend to be scarier when you can inhabit the character.

I really haven't given much thought to ~*my immersion*~ since I was thirteen. I tend to think what makes anything horror scarier is appropriate theme, pacing and careful building and maintenance of tension.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

treat posted:

I really haven't given much thought to ~*my immersion*~ since I was thirteen

that's a really bad post.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I also really preferred his silence in 1, mostly because it culminated in that final scene when he takes off his helmet, and you get to finally see this stoic, powerful 'hero' that you've been controlling this entire time is just loving done. He's been through some incredible poo poo and just has this look of utter exhaustion, and you're reminded that this guy is just some engineer, not a marine or a master chief, just some guy who has been completely beaten down by what he's been through.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm well aware that monolith has a heavy Japanese influence. I mean do you remember when FEAR came out? Everyone was making the comparison.

I... what? I complete missed that. I am not sure I follow either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mindblast posted:

I... what? I complete missed that. I am not sure I follow either.

I think he's saying that the game developer Monolith is heavily influenced by Japanese culture - you can tell this influence exists in FEAR by way of the 'spooky young girl with hair over her face' trope that is so common in Japanese horror media.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i feel like the general representation of little girl alma goes back pretty far in japanese culture but i can't remember the mythological precedents there right now. the closest thing i can think of is the shibito from the Siren games, which are basically the same general idea as Alma (reanimated deadmans with a sense of personality and force) which i'm almost positive has an older shinto myth but i can't remember the specifics right now.

it's an interesting thing to be aware of for ultra-nerds, but summing it up as 'this anime only by western people' is pretty stupid and shallow, which i presume is why he edited his post

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japanese women wore their hair down when buried so the white clothed, long hair female ghost with dangling limbs entered popular culture. The ghost woman crawling out of the well is hundreds of years old.

But the original comment was the ties to Elfen Lied which I can sort of see but I don't think it had a great impact on the game except some of the psychic death scenes. The manga never made it officially in English and the anime was mid-2004. The psychic stuff is straight from Akira and Alma is totally Ring inspired.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The only link I sort-of see, but can easily come from different sources, is "morally corrupt science mans fucks with lady, makes her uncontrollable and batshit powerful". Beyond that it seems largely different and thank gently caress for that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm playing FEAR 2 for the first time and in my opinion it kinda takes a nose dive almost into the realm of cheese. The scene where you're getting operated on and such... It's just going full gonzo whacko from the start when the first game slowly built it up really well. And my last FEAR 1 replay isn't that far off, not to mention I've played that game to death. Never really got around to the expansions though. Should probably look into them.

This is really awful pacing combined with a general lowered fidelity in the writing. I guess to make room for a sequel that wasn't going to happen.

Yeah the atmosphere in FEAR 1 worked because it's these mundane office and city environments set off against the player uncovering the mystery of an increasingly bizarre and hosed up ghosty family drama. It's Die Hard meets The Ring and somehow it works. The rest of the series (or even the first's expansion packs) never quite live up to it, although 3 at least has some pretty decent gunplay and fun co-op.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

well the villain is just ju-on ghost lady

they even ripped the end of ju-on2 off pretty hard for 3

Things to remember about the F.E.A.R games.

Fear 1: Made by Monolith.
Fear expansions: Not made by Monolith. Made by some random developers on the demand of Sierra. Not canon.
Fear 2: Made by Monolith
Fear 2 expansion: Made by Monolith
Fear 3: Not made by Monolith. Crashed and burned the series and story. Canon unless Monolith ever gets the name back and/or gives a gently caress about the series.

Monolith is either bad at holding on to its IP's or doesn't give a gently caress. Should have at least had a clause that prevents another dev team from hijacking the story and basically making it impossible to carry on.

As for the Japanese influences the main two are the design of adult Alma which is very Ring and or Grudge and the second is the design of her prison containing a dangerous psychic entity under the ground is very Akira. More the manga than the anime but both are relevant.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 16, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which expansion let you shoot Norton in his big fat head? That was the best expansion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DeathChicken posted:

Which expansion let you shoot Norton in his big fat head? That was the best expansion.

norton-stuck-in-air-vent.gif

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Things to remember about the F.E.A.R games.

Fear 1: Made by Monolith.
Fear expansions: Not made by Monolith. Made by some random developers on the demand of Sierra. Not canon.
Fear 2: Made by Monolith
Fear 2 expansion: Made by Monolith
Fear 3: Not made by Monolith. Crashed and burned the series and story. Canon unless Monolith ever gets the name back and/or gives a gently caress about the series.

Monolith is either bad at holding on to its IP's or doesn't give a gently caress. Should have at least had a clause that prevents another dev team from hijacking the story and basically making it impossible to carry on.

As for the Japanese influences the main two are the design of adult Alma which is very Ring and or Grudge and the second is the design of her prison containing a dangerous psychic entity under the ground is very Akira. More the manga than the anime but both are relevant.

It's more like Monolith has a history of being yanked back and forth. The original game was owned by Sierra while Vivendi held the rights to the trademark. Monolith was working on Condemned so the expansion packs were made without them. Warner Bros acquired Monolith and the game rights, but not the trademark to the actual name (it was going to be Project Origin) until much later. So FEAR 2 was made then Monolith started working on Middle Earth games and I guess someone at Warner Bros was like "Call of Duty is making money. We have a first person shooter with multiplayer. Why aren't we making Call of Duty Multiplayer money?" And FEAR 3 was born.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I have a PS4 coming in next week. Besides Until Dawn, what other horror games should I check out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

joylessdivision posted:

I have a PS4 coming in next week. Besides Until Dawn, what other horror games should I check out.

It's rather slim pickings on PS4, unfortunately. The two best recommendations I can give you are Forbidden Siren (a PS2 remaster) and P.T. (a demo that isn't available any more for a game that got canned). :(

Alien: Isolation and Metro: Last Light are worthwhile pick-ups if you haven't played them on PC or last-gen consoles yet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked SOMA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isaac always has a lot to say when I played DS1.

ughn

argh

raaaar

unf

gently caress

poo poo

graar

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is fear the game series with ghost rape

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Tired Moritz posted:

is fear the game series with ghost rape

That's two.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

FWIW (nothing) I thought Perseus Mandate was better than fear 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

joylessdivision posted:

Bloodborne

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne

I keep forgetting about that game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Well time to remember and :getin: then son.

There may be games with technically better graphics but the atmosphere is just amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

joylessdivision posted:

it's the only reason to own the console.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have some strong recommendations for good Twine/IF/Text adventure horror games? I'm looking for really good horror games that are heavily narrative- or text-driven. I've played My Father's Long Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, both were really good, and I have Layers of Fear, which I'm to understand at least tells a lot of its story through in-game documents. Anything else I really need to try?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have some strong recommendations for good Twine/IF/Text adventure horror games? I'm looking for really good horror games that are heavily narrative- or text-driven. I've played My Father's Long Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, both were really good, and I have Layers of Fear, which I'm to understand at least tells a lot of its story through in-game documents. Anything else I really need to try?

I've heard good things about Terror Aboard the Speedwell as an Alien-like game. And now that I've checked after a year of it on my backlog it's officially pay-what-you-want so it's effectively free.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently they announced a new Metal Gear that looks like it has some horror elements to it? It looks kinda interesting, honestly, but then again, Konami (also I've only played a little tiny bit of MGS 2 and 3, like, 20 minutes each).

Also there's a new trailer for RE7, in case you're not also following the RE thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So this is something potentially interesting. It starts out (frankly) kind of ugly and cheap looking, like someone took the worst visual design of Telltale and combined it with stiff Pixar characters. Then the kids with pig masks show up...

NIS' Yomawari also seems to be shaping up well. I think there's a demo on the Japanese PSN, I might make an account for it.

catlord posted:

Apparently they announced a new Metal Gear that looks like it has some horror elements to it? It looks kinda interesting, honestly, but then again, Konami (also I've only played a little tiny bit of MGS 2 and 3, like, 20 minutes each).

Also there's a new trailer for RE7, in case you're not also following the RE thread.

It's a multiplayer game where the soldiers at the original Mother Base are sucked through a portal during the attack and have to fight zombies. Considering Konami's handling of Metal Gear Online expect a janky rear end shooter that would make Umbrella Corps look like Overwatch. Let's start a betting pool, bet you $5 the way you acquire gear is by putting real money into a slot machine.

They're even treating it as canon from what I heard.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 18, 2016