Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Speleothing posted:

Holy poo poo. This sherman discussion is giving me so much deja vu. Did it show up in this thread with the exact same points like 8 months ago?

Ronson chat is eternal because wehraboos never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Polikarpov posted:

Unlike german tanks :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Commissar Kip posted:

And what are you using as a base? 25mm plywood?

Just occurred to me that I didn't answer this question in my previous post.

I use lasercut MDF circles for bases. They're 25mm in diameter and 3mm thick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't there a Roman era version of SAGA or just the Crusades?

There's a Byzantine list for SAGA which is basically Romans. I mean, late Iron Age Romano-brits would be pretty much indistinguishable from Saxons as far as battle order goes. If you wanted to go for a more fantasy "what if the Legions fought Vikings" thing (in the imaginary world where the staggeringly more advanced steel from Dark Ages France and Germany doesn't cut Roman armor into pretty ribbons) then you could use the Jomsviking list or maybe the Scots list. You could justify using most of the lists that don't use crossbows for Romans in SAGA TBH since by the time you reach the disorganized later era of Western Rome (because, you know, lets not get into the "when did Rome fall" thing because the answer is either after WWI or the late-1800s depending on how you judge legitimate claims) most of the core SAGA warbands are influenced by late Roman and Roman Successor battle tactics anyways.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Since we are on the subject, how are Lion Rampant and Hail Ceaser (and any other dark age to gunpowder age) differ from SAGA?

I know this thread loves SAGA to death but my own group does not share that love. We bought into it when it came out as we were looking for a historical skirmish game but nearly universally ended up not liking it and abandoning it.

But now we all have big piles of 28mm Viking age/dark age dudes lying around but no ruleset to use them with. Note I did advance the idea of giving SAGA another try but it was not meet with much enthusiasm.

I'm probably going to pick up Lion Rampant and the KoW historical book to pass them around and give them a try, but what else is out there?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Buy Lion/Dragon Rampant. It's a good system, doesn't require loads of extra gubbins, and are simple to play.

The systems are the same, but Dragon Rampant gives you fantasy options to layer on top.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Polikarpov posted:

I was at the War Museum in Ottawa and hears a guy tell his son about how easily the Sherman burned. The plaque on the M4A3E8 also has the dumb Ronson bullshit on it.

Also their T-34-85 was missing, but they had a Lend Lease Valentine.

Also you'd think that they would try to get Canadian subjects in their gift shop, but 90% of the models in there were German. I think you could get a Universal Carrier and one or two landing craft, and that was it for the Allies.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 14, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was at the tank museum in Bovington and got told Ronsons stuff by the tour guide there. He also said the T-34 needed a hammer to change gear and was really thinly armoured and mass produced and overwhelmed the Germans with force of numbers.

It was also a T-34-85, which is particularly exceptional because that had a straight-up tiger-killer gun.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Numlock posted:

But now we all have big piles of 28mm Viking age/dark age dudes lying around but no ruleset to use them with. Note I did advance the idea of giving SAGA another try but it was not meet with much enthusiasm.

I'm probably going to pick up Lion Rampant and the KoW historical book to pass them around and give them a try, but what else is out there?
You could always check out Blood Eagle if you wanna skirmish, or else there's Dux Britanniarum from the fatties who made Chain of Command. Both games have robust campaign options.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Open Combat is also a great option for small skirmishes, but you have to stat your own dudes.

I'd also hesitate before referring to Lion Rampant as a Skirmish game, despite the fact it calls itself one, because you're still pushing around multiple 12 model units, making it closer in scale to Warhammer Ancient Battles or what I'd imagine Kings of War Historical to be like.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was at the War Museum in Ottawa and hears a guy tell his son about how easily the Sherman burned. The plaque on the M4A3E8 also has the dumb Ronson bullshit on it.

Also their T-34-85 was missing, but they had a Lend Lease Valentine.

Also you'd think that they would try to get Canadian subjects in their gift shop, but 90% of the models in there were German. I think you could get a Universal Carrier and one or two landing craft, and that was it for the Allies.
:ughh:

spectralent posted:

I was at the tank museum in Bovington and got told Ronsons stuff by the tour guide there. He also said the T-34 needed a hammer to change gear and was really thinly armoured and mass produced and overwhelmed the Germans with force of numbers.

It was also a T-34-85, which is particularly exceptional because that had a straight-up tiger-killer gun.
They have tour guides at Bovington now?

One the one hand: it's a major bummer that they're parcelling out incorrect information like that.
On the other: that does give me an idea for a career move...then again they'd probably never hire me anyway.

Anyway, I have started to paint my Flames of War tanks! I'll be sure to take pics once the whole gang are together. Although they'll probably belong in the unspiration thread.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 15, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

Since we are on the subject, how are Lion Rampant and Hail Ceaser (and any other dark age to gunpowder age) differ from SAGA?

I know this thread loves SAGA to death but my own group does not share that love. We bought into it when it came out as we were looking for a historical skirmish game but nearly universally ended up not liking it and abandoning it.

Dux Bellorum? It's an Osprey version of DBA fancied up to include more army construction variety and rules for dying gloriously.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I got the PDF for Lion Rampant and after a quick look through the rules think I'll give a go at convincing my friends to try a game or two.

Seems simple enough to convert my vikings over to Lion Rampant but for the probably crippling lack of Calvary or Archers.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I played another couple of CoC games today. Our first game was another teaching game, because we had a couple of dudes there who'd never played before. The first game was good fun, and started with us (the Americans) deploying a scout team and hoofing it forward towards an enemy JOP that ended up kind of in the open. To make things doubly awesome, our first roll included double 6's, so we'd actually get the first two turns. We managed to book our scout team forward to within 4" of their exposed JOP and deployed another two full squads on overwatch, just waiting for something to happen. Their first turn? 66644. That's right, an immediate end of turn, which lost them the JOP (and a Force Morale point) and didn't even let them deploy anything unless they wanted to subject a lone Senior Leader to overwatch fire. Chalk one up to the Americans, -1 German FM before a single shot had been fired! Unfortunately, the end-of-turn cleared out all of our overwatch, and their following roll let them bring on two full squads, one each from their remaining JOPs. Because of the relative openness of the territory between the two forces (mostly low hedgrows), it devolved into a standoff fight between the Americans and the Germans, which the massed weight of the MG42s are almost always going to win. I tried to use an interrupt to move a fresh squad into a rocky outcrop on a flanking position against another German JOP, but by movement roll was about 3" too short, exposing me to fire from two MG42 teams. Needless to say, I lost like 3 guys and gained 4 shock before I was in position, at which point I didn't have the firepower to dislodge the Jerries. It ended up a German victory when they bagged our Platoon Sergeant and dropped our Force Morale to like a 2.

By far more exciting was the second game we played, which was the inaugural game in our home-grown Kasserine Pass campaign. A brief bit of background:

"North Africa, February, 1943. Allied forces are pressing in on 'Fortress Tunis' from all sides. So far, the Allies have had it relatively easy - German and Italian troops, crippled by poor logistics, have largely been willing to give ground in exchange for time. But Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel has now decided that the time is right to strike - a sharp counterattack could put the disorganized Allied advance on its heels, buying valuable time and potentially capturing much needed fuel and supplies.

Meanwhile, Supreme Allied Commander Dwight D. Eisenhower needs a win pretty badly for political reasons. To that end, he has ordered the various forces under his command to push toward Tunis with all haste, not least because he'd like to capture Tunis itself before the insufferable Montgomery breaches the Mareth line and beats him to it.

Seizing the initiative, Axis forces have swept the French and American defenders from Faïd Pass and the town of Sidi Bou Zid, and are quickly advancing across the wide valley between the Eastern and Western Dorsale mountains. As the German and Italian counteroffensive sweeps westward, the Allies are rushing to bring reinforcements forward to halt the Axis advance. Our story begins as those forces meet in that valley, near the center of which sits a tiny Tunisian town called Kasserine."

Right, so this campaign pits the Germans and Italians against the Americans, British, and Free French. Each player gets to pick a force, and each for gets something cool and something bad related to their force. It's designed to support "Big CoC' with 2-on-2 or 2-on-3 play, but because we wanted to start small, this first battle pitted the Italians (who get an extra "free" regular infantry squad but who receive a -2 to their beginning Force Morale roll - I naturally netted us an abyssmal 8) versus the Americans (whose troops count as green, but who always get the benefit of a pre-game barrage, even for scenarios that don't normally offer it like Patrol). So the Italians are numerous but will roll up like a cheap carpet when things start to go south (historically accurate) and the Americans are in way over their collective heads but make most of their gains behind effective air and artillery power (also historically accurate).

Making matters worse for the Italians, the Americans chose an additional pre-game barrage, and what this means is that the barrage effects last through the first TWO turns of the game. This would prove to be brutal. For their further support choices, they picked a sniper and an armored car (the one with the .50 CAL up top, I forget the type). With only 1 support choice, we Italians chose a Satchel Charge.

The patrol phase started out relatively sedately, but very quickly turned into a sort of turning-movement, where instead of fighting across the field the short way, much of the action went the long way. With the higher Force Morale (a whopping 10!), the Americans deployed first, conservatively just to see what we'd do. The artillery barrage really screwed with us, and in the end we were only able to bring on one of our squadros (which is should be pointed out is like 20 men!) and the rifle team (sans Caporale) from the "supernumerary extra" squadro we got as our special rule.

In short order we started exchanging fire, with the complete Italian Squadro deployed in a rocky outcrop laying down withering fire. To his credit, his American counterpart was making some killer rolls, accruing almost no kills and very little shock. I tried twice to bring on our second full squadro to lock down our left flank, and each time the barrage prevented us from doing so. The American sniper tagged our deployed Sergente at one point, reducing his CIs to 1. Suck, because now he couldn't direct the fire of the twin Breda sections in his squadro. And that was when the American armored car came on. Things were looking bad for the Italians, and I think by this point we were down to FM 5 vs FM 7 or 8.

At long last I finally brought on our second squadro on the left flank and began moving them forward, firing at half effectiveness as I went. I was trying to get within the magic 18" because at close range the green Americans would just start to evaporate (needing only a 3+ to hit them). Unfortunately, my movement scores were for suck. I kept rolling 1s and 2s. Fortunately, they weathered the incoming fire pretty well and didn't accumulate too much shock. I even used a CoC die interrupt to get them closer and up to a good hedgeline for cover, but suffered an awful round of half-strength shooting.

It was about this time that the American Armored car made a rush on our rightmost (and almost totally exposed - because the barrage kept us from putting guys there) JOP, getting to within the magic 4". And we were sitting at FM 4. Fortunately, they didn't have a CoC die to end the turn - yet. In desperate response, the Tenente sent a brave Satchel Bomber out to deal with the AFV, but the poor bugger tripped or balked or just thought better of his life choices - right up until the .50 CAL HMG eradicated him. now we were down to FM 3 versus the Americans FM 4 (we'd wiped out the enemy squad on our right.

Finally, I got the shot I was looking for on the left - a full barrage at under 18" against green troops in light cover. Needless to say, they broke, bringing American FM down to a 2. At this point they couldn't win the scenario, but our previous roll (with our whopping 3 dice) had included 2 6's, meaning one more phase before they could disengage. Turning my sights to the relatively fresh American squad in the center, I unloaded on them. It was just outside close range, but the effect was devastating. Not only did they suffer a couple of casualties and significant shock, their Lieutenant got straight up killed, the combined effect dropping their Force Morale to less than 0 an routing them from the field. Our Force Morale was still at 3, just barely enough to win the scenario. Had they been able to end the turn before our go, they'd have captured our JOP and forced us to pull back. All in all it was an incredibly close game, a nail-biter right down to the end, which I absolutely love.

Final casualties:

Italiano Squadro 1: 4 casualties, sergente minor wound, caporale minor wound <- these guys spent most of the game in hard cover on a rocky outcrop, and probably suffered more casualties to .50 cal and sniper fire than infantry fire.
Italiano Squadro 2: 6 casualties, caporale minor wound <- This was my squad that couldn't move fast to save their lives
Italiano supernumerary rifle team: 3 casualties <- It should be pointed out that these guys sucked up an IMMENSE amount of fire early on and weathered it like champs. They were eventually pinned, but never broke - a good thing because we didn't have the Force Morale to spare

US Squad 1: 12 casualties, JL killed, Platoon Sgt minor wound
US Squad 2: 5 casualties
US Squad 3: 2 casualties, Lieutenant killed

Using the "At the Sharp End" campaign system, many of those dudes will be back. The Americans also have a special rule that effectively lets them rotate 2 platoons in and out of action each turn, so they may want to do that. I suspect the next game is going to see a hell of a lot more armor on the allied side, which will be interesting.

Once we've had a chance to put this campaign through its paces, I'll pitch it to Big Rich and see if he wants to include it in either the Winter Special or as its own Pint Size campaign. And if he's not interested, gently caress it, I'll give it away for free on the forums.

Hope you enjoyed!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

spectralent posted:

the T-34 needed a hammer to change gear

i thought that was the kv

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's also what I've heard, I think he was describing fallacies the tour guide was promoting.

I was watching WW2 in Color the other day and the narrator mentioned "stories" of Polish calvary charging tanks without explicitly calling it out as Nazi propaganda. It's like - goddamn, people.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

That's also what I've heard, I think he was describing fallacies the tour guide was promoting.

Yeah, the T-34 was the one that was apparently hammer-change gear.

quote:

I was watching WW2 in Color the other day and the narrator mentioned "stories" of Polish calvary charging tanks without explicitly calling it out as Nazi propaganda. It's like - goddamn, people.

There are two events that gave rise to this. The first was the Charge at Krojanty, which was executed against infantry who were unexpectedly reinforced by panzers. They routed the infantry but were cut down by the tanks, and the germans spun the narrative that it'd been a suicidal charge against their tanks.

The second event was an accidental charge against some tanks that ended with the Poles winning.

quote:

The 21st Armoured Battalion under Maj. Stanisław Gliński, equipped mostly with Polish TKS tankettes was ordered to counter-attack the village, along with the cavalry squadron of Captain Jerzy Hollak. In the clouds of smoke of the burning village, the Polish units accidentally drove right into the middle of a German tank column. Although the Polish tankettes were no match for the heavier Panzer II German tanks and the cavalry was very vulnerable to tank fire, the confusion in German ranks prevented their commander from responding quickly enough. The Polish units managed to break through the German column with negligible losses and seized the forest to the Northwest of Mokra. This manoeuvre is sometimes referred to as a charge of Polish cavalry on German tanks, although no charge was planned nor executed. Nevertheless, the German tanks again lost orientation and the column withdrew from the village, again leaving it in Polish hands. The tanks withdrew to their initial positions in Wilkowiecko, leaving behind the infantry supporting the failed assault. German losses were high and a large number of German troops were taken prisoner.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, would anyone be interested in trying a game of Sharpe Practice over roll20?

I can't really commit to a game in one strech, but with roll20 we could leave the game "set up" and do turns asymietically. It would be interesting to make a thread and do a battle report to keep the other person informed in how the turn went, and to entertain people.

any takers? I can do the graphical bits.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am sorely tempted by this Sharp Practice offer, but I quite literally have too much poo poo going on right now. I'm painting my Oath (trying to get ready for an upcoming Infinity Tourney), managing an ongoing Infinity campaign, and just kicked off a Chain of Command campaign. But gods drat does Sharp Practice look sexy.

If you do get any takers, pleasepleaseplease do some good play-by-play action for those of use who want to live vicariously through you.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think I asked this before but how does Sharpe Practice differ from CoC? Aside from the time period.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I won my LGS' Tanks! tournament! :toot:

Man, the mission is pretty drat biased against the attacker, though - it usually takes 3 turns to get anywhere near the objective (and you have to clear out any enemy tanks to even score the necessary victory points). I think I only won by dint of picking a list of 3 Comets so I could make an extra move a turn. Plus they proved solid enough on defence to survive more or less unscathed (I only lost 2 tanks over 4 games, and that was in the last 2 games). I chose as a prize a free IS-2 and I bought a SU-100 to help defend the glorious workers' revolution. :ussr:

I'm savouring this feeling of victory while it lasts, I'm sure once other more competent people figure out the meta I'm screwed, but I actually won something! :gifttank:

Also I met some nice old dudes playing Bolt Action. I think I'm probably going to get into that (my quixotic obsession with building Flames of War armies aside) with 2nd edn, even if they still have that 'ronson' nonsense :argh: - they do at least usually have the option to remove that rule as an upgrade, from the flipthroughs of the books I've had. Not sure whether to pick US or Brits as the free infantry box, though. I'd be interested to hear a breakdown of the various pros & cons of each.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I think I asked this before but how does Sharpe Practice differ from CoC? Aside from the time period.
NOTE: The following is what I have gleaned from obsessively watching Rich's videos and reading the TFL Forums - I do not yet own the actual rule book. Hopefully someone who actually owns the game can set it straight where I've screwed it up or misunderstood something.

The big differences are the importance of leaders and in how the turn mechanics work. Instead of activation dice that you roll at the beginning of a phase which dictate what you can do, you have one chit for each Leader, as well as a couple of flags (four for each player, I think). All of these get thrown in a bag, along with a "Tiffin" chit, which signifies the end of the turn.

When a leader's chit (or card, I guess, you can do it with cards too) gets pulled, that leader gets to do stuff. Different levels of leaders have different amounts of stuff they can do, much like the "Command Initiatives" for leaders in CoC. One of his basic actions is to "activate a unit." Activated units get two actions (e..g. load + move, or present + fire, or whatever). Shock is still a thing, and rallying it off is an important activity for your leaders.

The Flag chits are special - they represent extra stuff you can do (essentially adding to a leader's action count). You don't have to spend them immediately, and in fact it can be in your best interests to try to hang onto them to do cooler stuff - and that's because many units have special abilities that can get activated with one or more of these Flags. Like "Step Out" gives you an extra move, which can be super handy for trying to get skirmishers into the cover of the woods. "Thin Red Line" lets you fire a volley and then immediately make a bayonet charge (AWI British troops drilled heavily on this tactic). The trick is, if the Tiffin chit comes up and the turn ends, the only thing you can do with unspent flags is activate a unit that has not yet activated that turn (and without the benefit of any leader actions - like rolling a 2 on a Command Die in CoC). I think if you manage to save up all 4 flags before the Tiffin chit comes up, you get to activate a leader a second time, which is hard to pull off, but hugely effective if you can get it to work.

The other neat thing about the system is that units come in "Groups" (usually around 6 or 8 dudes, which tend to get stuck on those sexy multi-slot movement bases), but certain Groups can combine together into Formations. This is directly analogous to Teams and Sections in CoC in that while in Formation, Groups share their hits/shock evenly, making them much harder to break. Not all Groups can combine into Formations (e.g. lovely militia units and most skirmishers), so it pays to know what kinds of troops you have or are facing.

There are a few other cool things too, like differences for moving in line or column, reforming your unit, and (one of my personal favorites) "uncontrolled fire." If a leader gives a command to a Formation (i.e. a unit comprised of several Groups) to fire-at-will (i.e. as fast as they can load and fire), they enter "uncontrolled fire" and the leader actually needs to take a test to get them to stop - because it's a big unit where no one can hear him shouting over the din or see him frantically waving his sword through all the smoke. This can lead to hilarious consequences if a forward unit breaks from "fisticuffs" and is forced to retreat into the line-of-fire of a friendly unit engaging in uncontrolled fire. A couple of the batreps I've read have exhibited exactly this kind of period-appropriate comedy gold.

Rules for cavalry and artillery round things out, covering pretty much all of the period bases.

Because the period covers a pretty wide variety of both technological and tactical/training innovations, there are minor differences for troops armed with muskets vs rifles, or buck-n-ball, or dragoons versus lancers, or solid shot versus canister shot or whatever. But the beauty of that is that the glorious grognards on the TFL forums have done virtually all of that research for you. Wanna play a Napoleonic game set during the Iberian Peninsula Campaign? There's a list for that. Want to do some American War of Independence? Early or Late? There's a list for that. Seven Years War? That depends, do you want to play it in Europe or in the New World? Either way, there's a list for that. Indian Mutiny? Maori Wars? They've gotcha covered.

Each list breaks down the available units (there's usually only a handful) and whatever special abilities they have (there's usually only a handful) and off you go. Each unit has a points cost (there's a "Sharpulator" similar to the "CoCulator" for coming up with points costs for your own lists should you choose to play in an era that miraculously doesn't already have one), and the game uses a CoC-like method that allows units with lower points values to take extra support options.

I already have too many miniature wargaming obsessions, but I am gonna get this game. It is only a matter of time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grey Hunter posted:

So, would anyone be interested in trying a game of Sharpe Practice over roll20?

I can't really commit to a game in one strech, but with roll20 we could leave the game "set up" and do turns asymietically. It would be interesting to make a thread and do a battle report to keep the other person informed in how the turn went, and to entertain people.

any takers? I can do the graphical bits.

I'd be interested, but I would need to get into the rules, hard.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I could consider it too, we're getting into Sharp Practice but I'm still painting my first troops and haven't read the rules that much yet. And I'm not familiar with Roll20.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Roll20 will have a few quirks for this - the biggest one is that its grid based, which may casue a few oddities. Its main advantage is that is web based, and saves the setup automaticallty, so you can log in at any time. It also saves the diced rolls and has a card system, meaning its good for this.
Its also free. Which is also good!

Here is an example of what it could look like. (I'd do better art assets for the proper game.)

I should also point out I've not played Sharp Practice yet either!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Endman posted:

Thank you!

These guys are from Footsore Miniatures, specifically this range.

I'm painting them for SAGA: Invasions (due Q1 2017) and for other various small-scale Skirmish games like Open Combat.

Endman posted:

Just occurred to me that I didn't answer this question in my previous post.

I use lasercut MDF circles for bases. They're 25mm in diameter and 3mm thick.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know there was going to be a late roman era SAGA! This has me hyped as gently caress -- can't wait to play Romano-British. I imagine it will use the regular SAGA setup of a warband?

Is there any info yet if cavalry is an option? I'd love to run a warband with a mounted warlord, 2 units of 4 hearthguard (using roman heavy cavalry) and 2 units of 8 warriors (roman armoured infantry).

Endman
May 18, 2010

Commissar Kip posted:

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know there was going to be a late roman era SAGA! This has me hyped as gently caress -- can't wait to play Romano-British. I imagine it will use the regular SAGA setup of a warband?

Is there any info yet if cavalry is an option? I'd love to run a warband with a mounted warlord, 2 units of 4 hearthguard (using roman heavy cavalry) and 2 units of 8 warriors (roman armoured infantry).

I'm assuming that the Romans will get mounted Warlords and Hearthguard. Possibly even Cataphracts, but I can't say for sure.

The pictures of the game in testing located here may shed some light.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd play Sharp Practice if the time was right. I even have a rulebook- i'd probably want to be not-English though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, I could also play a "Let's Learn" Sharp Practice, as it could be a good way to get to know the rules better. Maybe we can set up a series of games, and take turn?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Endman posted:

I'm assuming that the Romans will get mounted Warlords and Hearthguard. Possibly even Cataphracts, but I can't say for sure.

The pictures of the game in testing located here may shed some light.

Yesssss. Thanks!

Going to start working on my Roman army asap.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, I could also play a "Let's Learn" Sharp Practice, as it could be a good way to get to know the rules better. Maybe we can set up a series of games, and take turn?

Sounds good! once I've made the art assets it should be easy enough to play different games - only maps would take time to learn.

I made a thread to stop cluttering this one up!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Roll20 will have a few quirks for this - the biggest one is that its grid based, which may casue a few oddities. Its main advantage is that is web based, and saves the setup automaticallty, so you can log in at any time. It also saves the diced rolls and has a card system, meaning its good for this.
Its also free. Which is also good!

Here is an example of what it could look like. (I'd do better art assets for the proper game.)

I should also point out I've not played Sharp Practice yet either!

I don't have a rulebook but this is wrong. You go up to the map settings and disable the grid, giving you free movement. You can even set the map scale and use the measuring tool for measuring correct distances.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

spectralent posted:

I don't have a rulebook but this is wrong. You go up to the map settings and disable the grid, giving you free movement. You can even set the map scale and use the measuring tool for measuring correct distances.

I knew about the map scale, but not the grid, That make thing easier!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I finally played a game of TY.

It is fun,cool, and good

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

I finally played a game of TY.

It is fun,cool, and good

I've only played a couple of games with it, but I think it really needs some work to be more playable. Lists are very rock-paper-scissors; "all comers" is really hard to build for. Air power is either dominating or useless depending on AA assets. Most importantly, everything on the US side is thermal vision, so you have a 1/6 chance of getting completely hosed in a bunch of missions (and 1/3rds chance of getting partially hosed on top of that) as the USSR since it's pretty much impossible to win against an army that starts at 5+ to hit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Welp, it looks like I'm buying the Bulge compilation for Flames too. Hopefully I can avoid the urge to buy a third (!) company of British Shermans to paint in winter camo, though. I've manged to talk myself off the ledge of building a Czech Cromwell company and instead just making a platoon for a Parachute Company - but now I'm undergoing decal anxiety to find ones that will actually fit on the tanks in question (the Dom's Decals ones seems like they might actually be a bit big for Cromwells) - plus figuring out what the correct unit markings would be for a seaborne Airborne Armoured Reconnaissance Platoon are. Im also considering a Black Panther armoured company (plus that one I was already considering)... I really need to stop chasing after armies for a game nobody around me plays.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Coincidentally my group had its first game of Sharp Practice 2 last night, an ACW bash. It didnt go particularly smoothly to be honest, in fact we spent more time pouring over and arguing about the vagaries of the rules, in particular the shooting rules. By the end of the night we had resolved most of the problems but we didnt come close to concluding the skirmish. We all agreed to try again as it definitely feels as if it has loads of potential.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So a friend and I are thinking about making the leap into Bolt Action. However, I just found out today that BA2 is coming out soon. If we got a BA starter set, would we be throwing our money away or will it be compatible with BA2?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Apparently the 761st Tank Battalion is gonna be in the new Bulge books (As Fearless Vets!) so that's something to look forward to.

Also Battlefront is now selling individual plastic sprues, which is kinda cool I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ExtraNoise posted:

So a friend and I are thinking about making the leap into Bolt Action. However, I just found out today that BA2 is coming out soon. If we got a BA starter set, would we be throwing our money away or will it be compatible with BA2?

The models will be compatible, the rules are changing to some extent but they'll be broadly the same, so you'd be fine to start learning how to play.

Honestly, I'd just wait the 3 or 4 weeks for the new starter set to come out so you don't have to get a new rulebook.