Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cool, thanks!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The correct answer is SMS Backup+, and then never worrying about restoring again because its all filed neatly in gmail

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Neatly is a stretch. Some of my conversations aren't threaded properly so they are scattered between different threads with no way to merge.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh ok, that's odd

The only break in mine are from when I've flashed from scratch with a complete wipe , otherwise it's all exactly as you'd expect it

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cool, thanks!!!

Why not just use Smart Switch if you're just switching SMS over?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

Why not just use Smart Switch if you're just switching SMS over?

I'm not switching from another Samsung phone, my personal line is a Nexus 6P.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Oh I know. It's just that's the main feature I use hangouts for.

Same, man. Same. :(

Skarsnik posted:

The correct answer is SMS Backup+, and then never worrying about restoring again because its all filed neatly in gmail

Like you I've never had a problem with misthreaded conversations. It's perfect in every way.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My only gripe with SMS Backup+, and this may be a limitation of Gmail, is that threads can only be up to 100 messages long. After that, a new one is created for the next hundred messages. But since I so rarely go back through my texts, it doesn't really matter to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

My only gripe with SMS Backup+, and this may be a limitation of Gmail, is that threads can only be up to 100 messages long. After that, a new one is created for the next hundred messages. But since I so rarely go back through my texts, it doesn't really matter to me.

That is a Gmail thing. I had a really long running thread with a friend of mine through Gmail and it would start a new thread every 100.

Annoyingly, sometimes it would switch at like 98/99 messages, end the next thread at 100, then put 1-2 messages in the previous thread before creating a new one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Note 7 reviews are coming in :cool:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/08/16/note-7-review-the-best-big-phone-ever/
http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-note-7-review/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12491196/samsung-galaxy-note-7-review

quote:

Make no mistake; if you’ve been waiting to pick up a large Android smartphone, the Note 7 is the device of your dreams.

quote:

The Galaxy Note 7 is the best no-compromise, big-screen phone you can buy if price is no object. All but the most devoted stylus lovers, however, will do just as well with the cheaper S7 models.

quote:

The Note 7 is Samsung’s best device ever, and arguably the best big phone ever made.

:drat:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Still made by a company who keeps threatening to abandon Android, still going to get shat up by your carrier, still not worth it.

Really next time they talk about switching everything to Tizen Google should pull their GMS privileges. Don't let the door hit you and all that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's easy to say that in our Android thread bubble, but Samsung IS Android for the average consumer.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Still made by a company who keeps threatening to abandon Android, still going to get shat up by your carrier, still not worth it.

Really next time they talk about switching everything to Tizen Google should pull their GMS privileges. Don't let the door hit you and all that.

Somehow I don't see Google getting belligerent with their most important partner.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Do you see Google capitulating to Samsung?

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's easy to say that in our Android thread bubble, but Samsung IS Android for the average consumer.

Which is probably why Google will have to replace Android entirely sooner rather than later. ... There's actually plenty of reasons, like the kernel/feature management being a huge boondoggle, but each of those and several others are on their own enough reason to replace Android.

ARC on Chrome OS is probably more important than we're giving it credit for.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

A lot of people had awful experiences with the 4 and 5 galaxys. They weren't the greatest devices. I have my note arriving on Friday. Glad to be moving off the Nexus 6, pure android isn't the greatest if the hardware is just passable. I'm happy to finally have a camera that works again

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

A lot of people had awful experiences with the 4 and 5 galaxys. They weren't the greatest devices. I have my note arriving on Friday. Glad to be moving off the Nexus 6, pure android isn't the greatest if the hardware is just passable. I'm happy to finally have a camera that works again

For sure, they've come a long ways in fairness. The S7 is a fantastic phone, and I've had an amazing experience starting with the Note 5. I remember the Galaxy Nexus, ugh.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Do you see Google in some kind of struggle with Samsung?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When Intel said no more (handheld) mobile processors, I thought the were just bowing out of the handheld market.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/16/intel-arm-manufacturing-licensing/

The next few years could get very interesting in mobile SoC development.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That's just their foundry being able to make ARM parts for other chip designers, not Intel saying they're going to make ARM SoCs of their own. ARM designers having access to Intel's 10nm FinFET process is enticing, but it's hardly earth-shattering.

bull3964 posted:

The next few years could get very interesting in mobile SoC development.
It's already been rather interesting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

For sure, they've come a long ways in fairness. The S7 is a fantastic phone, and I've had an amazing experience starting with the Note 5. I remember the Galaxy Nexus, ugh.

Galaxy Nexus was the last Samsung phone I owned, and it was the one at which I went "gently caress Samsung" too. I have a hard time imagining they've unfucked themselves to be as palatable as the 2015 Moto X Pure, but maybe someone has had both and can share their impression.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

The huge problem? You can ONLY use Duo (and Allo, most likely) on one device and that's it. There is no web app or anything

How the gently caress is this a thing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Works for snapchat. Worked for Instagram for the longest time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Don't worry , they'll make another new messaging app for that.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not switching from another Samsung phone, my personal line is a Nexus 6P.

You can switch from any other Android as well, not just a Sasmung. It just uses WiFi Direct I believe

PS I've had the Note 7 for about 2 weeks now and love it, you probably will too

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 17, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

You can switch from any other Android as well, not just a Sasmung. It just uses WiFi Direct I believe

PS I've had the Note 7 for about 2 weeks now and love it, you probably will too

No way, I thought it was just Samsung to Samsung. And yeah I can't loving wait, this wait is brutal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Desk Lamp posted:

Do you see Google in some kind of struggle with Samsung?

Samsung is building their smart devices empire largely* on Google's back and dragging their name through the mud in a way that Google cannot gracefully deal with, so... uh, maybe?

*Less than they used to but the damage is done.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Samsung is building their smart devices empire largely* on Google's back and dragging their name through the mud in a way that Google cannot gracefully deal with, so... uh, maybe?

How are the other OEMs not making Google look bad? Not that I'm the biggest Samsung supporter but let's face facts, Samsung makes the only aspirational devices that run Google software. If it weren't for Samsung, the reputation of Android would be piss garbage for poor idiots (which it mostly is now). At least Samsung manufactures an Android device that people want.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

I'm sure Google really resents the way Samsung made Android the most popular mobile OS in the world.

Samsung and Google know they're essential to each other's success. When reports of Samsung losing ground to Apple and Chinese OEMs came out they were pretty much immediately followed by news of secret meetings between Samsung and Google execs. Google was more than happy to throw their patent portfolio at Samsung and provide native support for Touchwiz features in Android to get that marketshare back.

Notice how despite offering their own alternatives to native Android features, Samsung stays away from replacing Google's bread and butter services, there is no Samsung ad service or search for example. Their alliance is much stronger than their respective fans want to believe.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Lowen SoDium posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

How are the other OEMs not making Google look bad? Not that I'm the biggest Samsung supporter but let's face facts, Samsung makes the only aspirational devices that run Google software. If it weren't for Samsung, the reputation of Android would be piss garbage for poor idiots (which it mostly is now). At least Samsung manufactures an Android device that people want.

Eh, Samsung fucks with Android by far the most and really makes using it much more frustrating than other OEM devices, especially with all the Samsung account crap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Eh, Samsung fucks with Android by far the most and really makes using it much more frustrating than other OEM devices, especially with all the Samsung account crap.

Have you used a recent Samsung device? The Samsung account stuff is really not frustrating at all, that's an odd stance to take.

vvvv gently caress you i'm normal

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 17, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'm not saying that's not true, but the fact is that none of those manufacturers are making desirable* devices. Samsung turns a profit making devices that people want to buy. No one else does that.

Desirable by normal people, not people in this thread.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you used a recent Samsung device? The Samsung account stuff is really not frustrating at all, that's an odd stance to take.

The main issue is poo poo like... for example, my sister tried to upgrade her S5 to an S7. Sorry, turns out Samsung turned off contacts syncing to your google account by default because they wanted to you sign in with your Samsung account and sync to there even though it's a horrible service!

Little bullshit like that just makes the whole experience more painful.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not saying that's not true, but the fact is that none of those manufacturers are making desirable* devices. Samsung turns a profit making devices that people want to buy. No one else does that.

Desirable by normal people, not people in this thread.

True for a lot of devices, but I don't think they're that much superior for the consumer than some of the other better OEM devices so much as just much better branded and marketed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The main issue is poo poo like... for example, my sister tried to upgrade her S5 to an S7. Sorry, turns out Samsung turned off contacts syncing to your google account by default because they wanted to you sign in with your Samsung account and sync to there even though it's a horrible service!

Little bullshit like that just makes the whole experience more painful.

You're right, it's this poo poo that makes OEM poo poo terrible but it's hardly unique to Samsung. Further, it's hardly unique to smartphones. If this kind of stuff bothers you, don't buy devices that aren't produced by the curator of the ecosystem. The thing is, most people don't mind.

MikeJF posted:

True for a lot of devices, but I don't think they're that much superior for the consumer than some of the other better OEM devices so much as just much better branded and marketed.

But we're talking about how they supposedly "dragging [Google's] name through the mud". The fact that they're branded and marketed well enough to be thought of as the Apple alternative demonstrates that they're making Google look good, if any of it rubs off on Google at all.

CLAM DOWN posted:

LOL you and me both, buddy. Hell, we're all normal in here, aren't we, guys?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ehud posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We are in a weird spot with this initial batch of phones. They are having some custom software loaded onto them and then being resold to customers. I'm working on some long term plans to use an MDM solution in the future, but for now I just need to strip out the useless apps, add our software and then I'm not touching these phones again.

We may start reselling Verizon service to our customers soon, at which point we'll start the process of using an MDM to manage those devices. I think I will work on the batch file just to get through this round of phones.

Quick follow up to this:

I am working on the batch file to uninstall a bunch of apps. Here is an example of the command I am using:

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.UNINSTALL_PACKAGE -d "package:com.gotv.nflgamecenter.us.lite"

The problem I'm running into is that the phone then displays a confirmation, "Are you sure you want to uninstall NFL Game Center?"

How would I answer that dialogue box automatically to confirm the uninstallation? Sorry, I realize this is basic. I have zero experience with any of this stuff, which made me the obvious choice for this project :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe by the time the S11 or S12 comes out, the other non-Chinese OEMs will all be dead and/or even more irrelevant than they are now and Samsung will just make additive changes to Android.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Which is probably why Google will have to replace Android entirely sooner rather than later. ... There's actually plenty of reasons, like the kernel/feature management being a huge boondoggle, but each of those and several others are on their own enough reason to replace Android.

ARC on Chrome OS is probably more important than we're giving it credit for.

Welcome to... Magenta?

The Register UK posted:

The source code of Google's latest operating system has emerged, and it looks like all new code from the ground up.

The Fuchsia project can be found here, and uses an entirely new kernel, "Magenta." It boots on ARM and x86, and the authors say they've managed to boot it on a Raspberry Pi. The IPC part is Mojo and higher up the stack is support for Google's Flutter graphics.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/15/googles_new_os_could_replace_android/
https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/?format=HTML

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everything I've seen about Magenta looks like it's designed for embedded devices and is part of google's automation and device plans. Probably'll end up powering Chromecast dongle v3 and devices like that (at the moment they're running a heavily modified stripped down Android)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 17, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
So I'm looking pretty closely at this galaxy note 7 for my next device. According to the releases it has gorilla glass 5 and it says it can withstand a drop from 6 ft onto concrete without breaking 80% of the time. How does that translate to, say, 150 ft and falling into a grassy meadow, from a bird's talons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

African or European swallow?