Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Don Lapre posted:

Does the one that actually draws cooler air even make a difference when the air is travelling through a 900 degree turbo anyway?

Good question. People piss and moan about heat soaking and intake air temps constantly on the forums, but ultimately is it that important? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Bigger intercooler would be far more important, I'd think.

Where I'm at literally everything with a turbo is heatsoaked in about five minutes during the summer anyway.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So, is it normal for cars to roll off the line without the ability to adjust camber?

My car is in for its first alignment and they said it needed a small camber adjustment but that required installation of camber kits first.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Ferret King posted:

So, is it normal for cars to roll off the line without the ability to adjust camber?

My car is in for its first alignment and they said it needed a small camber adjustment but that required installation of camber kits first.

Totally. What kind of car? Some cars come with only toe adjustment. If it can't be adjusted, sometimes they'll try and move around the engine mounts a little bit to shift the weight to one side or the other.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's a 2014 Focus ST. Disregard my post above, though. Turns out the mechanic scanned some barcodes and their computer brought up a parts list for a Ford F150 instead. My car does not need these parts afterall.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Bigger intercooler would be far more important, I'd think.

Where I'm at literally everything with a turbo is heatsoaked in about five minutes during the summer anyway.

Intercooler upgrades are definitely more significant. It sounds like unless youre going bigger turbo, intake isnt necessary outside of more noise.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, for a sweet kids' car that vroom vrooms this thing is way too quiet. I just dislike the arbitrary nature of the sympozer, it seems to pipe intake and the occasional turbo swish back into the car whenever it feels like it. I know "cold air" intakes are mostly useless for this car, as the turbo gets fed plenty of air by the stock system, but it would be nice to hear some intake and turbo sound from my real fast rollerskate car, so I may end up buying or making something that punches up the intake sound a bit. I had a SRI on my last car that was obnoxiously loud and I loving loved it.

The air filter box is like a 'stack' shape, with the filter housed up high in it. Hack just the bottom portion of this air filter housing off and get a drop-in Cobb filter. Makes a huge difference audibly without being obnoxious. Was basically a free mod for me since I bought my AP during a sale where I got 10% off and the filter.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PaintVagrant posted:

Intercooler upgrades are definitely more significant. It sounds like unless youre going bigger turbo, intake isnt necessary outside of more noise.

The biggest intercooler on the market (without cutting/wielding poo poo) at this time is the Cobb. There is another company that makes a larger one, but it involves replacing the crash bar with a flimsy piece of junk (info earlier in this thread) and in hindsight I'm not sure it would actually provide any additional cooling capacity, just more metal to sink heat into.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Good question. People piss and moan about heat soaking and intake air temps constantly on the forums, but ultimately is it that important? :shrug:

It's all important, if only incremental. If you can bring your turbo inlet temps down, that only helps bring down the final temp of the air by the time it hits the combustion chamber given the same IC efficiency and what not. A better IC will help as well with cooling that air, obviously, but if you can bring it down more before it even enters the IC, all the better. Problem with giant IC's is that they tend to block flow to the radiator or give it hotter air entering it = less cooling capacity. And with more power you're putting more heat into your coolant, only making things worse. Pay attention to the ducting and shrouds between the IC and radiator to make sure when installing aftermarket stuff you don't ditch those pieces and allow air to flow around the radiator.

This really should only show up while on track after a few minutes of hard driving (street driving, who cares).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

This really should only show up while on track after a few minutes of hard driving (street driving, who cares).

There are actually quite a few people straight up overheating driving on the street due to intercooler/radiator issues. There are good replacements for both that apparently alleviate the problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Matt Farah already got rid of his focus RS cause its so terrible and its terrible paying 750/m on a leased focus.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fknlo posted:

There are actually quite a few people straight up overheating driving on the street due to intercooler/radiator issues. There are good replacements for both that apparently alleviate the problem.

I was breaking in my new pads and rotors and got up to 240 degrees oil temp, 220 water temp, on the street. Now, it might not be normal street driving, sure, but that is WITH upgraded cooling. I've seen 250 oil/230 water on the track. I shudder to think how hot this thing gets, and how quick, stock.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 16, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Don Lapre posted:

Matt Farah already got rid of his focus RS cause its so terrible and its terrible paying 750/m on a leased focus.

Wait you can lease a Focus RS? For 750/month!? People don't actually do this right?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The stock radiator is pretty dinky.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Residency Evil posted:

Wait you can lease a Focus RS? For 750/month!? People don't actually do this right?

The smoking tire guy did

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don Lapre posted:

If you read his article, that's not what he said at all - he says the car is awesome, but as a daily driver for his particular use case, he never actually gets to drive it except in city traffic.

Matt Farrah posted:

Let me make something very clear if I haven’t already: the Focus RS is an incredible performance machine. I’m not bailing because the car isn’t good, or because the lease is too expensive, or anything like that. I’m getting rid of my Focus RS because it’s not matched to my real world needs for an everyday, Los Angeles car. If it was a Shelby, I’d probably deal with it, because the thing sounds so drat cool at low revs, that I could probably be satisfied. But the Focus sounds like nothing, feels like nothing, and isn’t anything special at all until you actually go out and use it for what it’s meant for; then it becomes very special indeed. In traffic, it’s just a stick-shift Focus with pretty blue paint and a stiff suspension.

Matt Farrah posted:

And if you’re considering buying a Focus RS, I will leave you with this: do it, if you’re gonna use it. Ford has gone above and beyond building what is most certainly the world’s finest performance hatchback.

Link - http://www.focusrs.org/forum/2-news/17642-ford-focus-rs-world-s-finest-hot-hatch.html

No idea where the original is that was reposted there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The smoking tire guy did

He can probably call it a business expense.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Matt Farah soul crushed by traffic. Needs to become a browdozer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Basically he has a bitch made left leg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't disagree with his thoughts in theory (having never driven the RS) - if you're sitting in stop and go traffic for 95% of the car's life, why buy the RS?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It still sounds like he's terrible with money. haha.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The RS should spit fire at idle dammit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Larrymer posted:

It still sounds like he's terrible with money. haha.

yeah he probably should have figured that out beforehand

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, for a sweet kids' car that vroom vrooms this thing is way too quiet. I just dislike the arbitrary nature of the sympozer, it seems to pipe intake and the occasional turbo swish back into the car whenever it feels like it. I know "cold air" intakes are mostly useless for this car, as the turbo gets fed plenty of air by the stock system, but it would be nice to hear some intake and turbo sound from my real fast rollerskate car, so I may end up buying or making something that punches up the intake sound a bit. I had a SRI on my last car that was obnoxiously loud and I loving loved it.

I felt the same way after I bought mine (especially when the Abarth sounds sooo nice) so once springtime came around I said screw it and bought a MBRP 3" catback, AccessPort with Mountune flash and performance air filter, and then blocked off the symposer for good. I have been happy with it so far but it can be loud at certain times (particularly inside the cabin) so do your research before committing. Like what was posted above about the RS, driving it in anger usually clears away any regrets about fiddling around with it - plus it sounds best on the outside and I have received plenty of complements so far, youtube videos do the sound justice as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Residency Evil posted:

He explained it on his podcast, Ford Leasing won't do RSes but he found a bank that would. Leasing makes sense for him for tax reasons, I guess he can write off pretty much the entire payment rather than just part. He leased the Fiesta ST they had previously as well.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't disagree with his thoughts in theory (having never driven the RS) - if you're sitting in stop and go traffic for 95% of the car's life, why buy the RS?

For autocross and trackdays!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

For autocross and trackdays!

40k gets you a lot of track car

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

$25K gets you a decent road car and $15K gets you a decent track car (if you don't mind shopping around a bit).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sigma X posted:

$25K gets you a decent road car and $15K gets you a decent track car (if you don't mind shopping around a bit).

Yep, exactly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

And if you ball it up at the track you can still get to work on Monday :)

I'm just glad the R is still fun in traffic. Sounds great at idle, if not a smidge quieter than I would like. My flaps never get shut, still debating on deresonating it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I can tell by this thread that I'm old. One of the things I really love about the Focus ST is that it's quiet, and I disconnected the fake noise thing to make it even quieter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Locator posted:

I can tell by this thread that I'm old. One of the things I really love about the Focus ST is that it's quiet, and I disconnected the fake noise thing to make it even quieter.

I haven't yet disconnected the fake noise thing but I agree the car makes the right amount of noise for the daily commute.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It doesn't if you read Vorshlag.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FiSTers, is your auxiliary fan running almost all of the time? It's warm because of summer but it seems to be running a LOT, even with AC off. Temp gauge sits dead center all the time even when the car is just turned on.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

With the hot weather mine has definitely been running almost all the time once the car is up to temp. It wasn't that way from October to June.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What coolant mix are you guys running in the fiesta st? Any water wetter or anything?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

What coolant mix are you guys running in the fiesta st? Any water wetter or anything?

Whatever weird orange poo poo it comes with from the factory, mine has ~550 miles :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This is probably part of our problem. How much of this radiator is actually getting airflow? 30 square inches?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Looks pretty normal. Veloster is similar with the intercooler vertical and 1/3rd covered by the crash bar. Depending where you live a 50:50 mix could be excessive anti freeze and holding heat in somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My fan is running constantly but no overheating problems and I usually drive it pretty hard whenever I'm driving.