Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/765449240982073345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Starshark posted:

Bit hypocritical you being opposed to imperialism, don't you think, Xerxes?

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Have you considered that great power imperialism is only ever kept in check by other great power imperialism, and with the US being so much more insanely powerful (and also, insane and powerful) there is literally nothing to keep its imperialism in check? I mean, if you really assess the situation, you'd be willing to let the Russian/Chinese empires expand a little in order to check the US. Otherwise they're just going to continue to encircle everyone, as they do now.

Please see:

BBJoey posted:

For real tho do the people who are subsumed by China and Russia 'expanding a little' get a say or are their needs secondary to ensuring the great video game that is international geopolitics is well balanced?

If Poland, the Baltic, Romania etc are all going "please help us out NATO" in regards to Russia. I don't see it as expanding NATO influence to encircle Russia but rather people seeking protection from something that's harmed them in the past. This is fair and reasonable.

Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, etc are all asking for backing against Chinese expansion I'm guessing it's not because Uncle Sam is keeping poor 'ol plucky China down. It's because China is an rear end in a top hat and is starting poo poo with all it's neighbors. For gently caress sake, if Vietnam, who the USA waged chemical and conventional warfare on for decades is now is happy to let bygones be bygones in return for backing against China, that says it all really. The people/governments of these two regions are against the idea of being consigned to their respective regional power's "sphere of influence". I am in no way willing to let Russian/Chinese empires expand because that just means I am consigning millions of people to live under lovely hegemonies that I would never want to have over myself, as BBjoey says, for the videogame model of geopolitics.

Cartoon posted:

:bang: Allow me to ask. Why do you think the first world war was really stupid? That was what I used as my comparison. I didn't just pluck it out of my arse for no reason. While you're pondering that.

This is not a case of all in and everyone not for me is agin' me. I can criticise the US for a ridiculously ham fisted piece of rhetoric which is reasonably clearly aimed at a domestic audience in an election year without having to also endorse China's actions in the South China Sea. There are an almost infinite number of steps that should be taken that fall short of military action (of any kind). So while you apparently disagree with me I am in agreement with your statement 'Belligerence should, and must, be countered where it appears.' Even when it is from the mouth of the US president. Imagine, if you will,words of that sort being applied to North Korea. What about Israel? This sort of belligerent talk never leads to good outcomes. The last time a US president used similar language (Axis of Evil) North Korea started production of nuclear weapons.

This will do nothing but raise the stakes with the Chinese hawks. Any difficulties that the central committee might have had with military procurement are now overcome. This is what starts arms races and eventually someone decides they have to make the first move.

I think the first world war was loving stupid because it was a bunch of European Empires jockeying for advantage that we had no skin in. But this is not 100 years ago. I agree, there are a lot of steps that should be tried before war and I am not in any way arguing for a War. However we cannot throw our regional neighbors under the bus and that means we have to put some money where our mouths are. I also don't think China's belligerence is going to be countered with words and treaties as if they were going to, they already would have. The current driving force behind the CCP right now is revaunchist ethno-nationalism with their "century of humiliation" narrative. Christ, just look at the way they flipped the gently caress out about Horton's drug cheating comment, or how they rejected the south China Sea international court ruling before it was even released.

Quite unfortunately, the way I see things going is that the major thing that deters the CCP is military force. They leave Japan alone because it actually has a credible deterrent. The Philippines has jack poo poo and as a result is getting pushed around.

I mean, this 9-dash line is totally the idea of a reasonable and diplomatic government that is interested in fairness and international law.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

if anyone is interested in the aus census stuff my buddy actually worked there for several years in an infosec role and still keeps in touch with the people working there so he's fed me some tidbits:

* the 2016 census program manager gave David Kalisch (head of the ABS) a no-go order months before commencement as they weren't ready. kalisch ignored this and went ahead anyway
* 90% of the ppl working at the ABS hate kalisch's guts
* the head of IT security at the ABS was replaced 2 months before the start of the census
* the infosec team at the ABS is almost entirely GRC people with like 2-3 actual infosec ppl. they are also completely swamped with work so nothing ever gets done well or at all
* for the 2011 census which was both paper and electronic the ABS did request DDoS protection from their upstream provider which at the time was Telstra. several months after the census the reps from Telstra gave a presentation to the ABS sec team which included data showing that they did mitigate several attacks and kept the site online

so yeah it's a shitshow top-to-bottom due to poor decisions that weren't based in reality and i wouldnt expect anything less

Amazin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also hey if I dont want my energy coming from one of the lovely major providers, what are my options in Victoria? Powershop's advertising is everywhere, who else is in the field that's decently renewable?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Momentum Energy has been pretty good in my experience.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they're doing you a service

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Hunt would be a coal miners wet dream.

I'd participate in a Prime Minister Hunt.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Lookit dis poo poo. They claim areas that are beyond Vietnam from where they are. They claim areas that come practically to the coast of Malaysia and Brunei but are extremely distant from their own coasts. There is no basis to any of these claims except for an old map they dug out of somewhere and can't explain to anyone where it came from.

This isn't a case of being reasonable. It's a gross claim that can't possibly be justified and the fact that they're trying to press it with military force can't be defended. This is awful, awful behaviour.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So do freedom of navigation exercises, don't recognise their claims and protect shipping. There's no need to call for war.

e:Still think appeasement over the waters and then standing firm if they try anything more is the more sensible option that lets both sides save face.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 16, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SynthOrange posted:

Also hey if I dont want my energy coming from one of the lovely major providers, what are my options in Victoria? Powershop's advertising is everywhere, who else is in the field that's decently renewable?

Powershop has been pretty good for me, been using them at my rental

Or don't read any News Corpse media :ussr:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So do freedom of navigation exercises, don't recognise their claims and protect shipping. There's no need to call for war.

e:Still think appeasement over the waters and then standing firm if they try anything more is the more sensible option that lets both sides save face.
giving away in any aspect is absolutely the wrong approach because if you're willing to compromise your sovereignty wrt water, why not land? the hitler references are trite but this is basic sudetenland->czechoslovakia stuff. appeasement adds fuel to the flame of belligerence, it doesn't slow it.

also natsec wonks will always be jerking their misshapen dicks to the idea of a cataclysmic war, that they are raring to have a war with china should not be taken as broad us policy consensus that war is the solution.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

AgentF posted:

They claim areas that come practically to the coast of Malaysia and Brunei

I'm sure this all historical and not to do with oil reserves no sir.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There are quotes from the china.jpg threads that I will adapt here.

"The CCP neither appreciates nor returns displays of goodwill. Their attitude can be summed up with 'What's mine is mine and what's yours is also mine."

If you give in to the CCP here, they will only get worse. Also "both sides saving face" is a farcical idea as just lookit dat map. You're asking countries to give up huge swathes of thier EEZ to appease the bully. That would be humiliation to them and a signal from us that we won't help them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Amethyst?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/davpope/status/765518834333659136

Best Roberts, or best Roberts?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
I thought this was the greens echo chamber. War is Bad, lest we forget?

http://www.solidarity.net.au/imperialism/australia’s-war-against-japan-the-myth-of-the-&%238216;good-war&%238217;/

quote:

A critical examination of some of the hidden aspects demonstrates that WWII in the Pacific was much the same as all of the other wars: fought to consolidate Australian commercial and strategic interests. Rather than promoting human rights, it featured Australian military authorities extending white supremacist policies across the region.

Or is this a "broken clock" thing, where if Australia sucks at human rights domestically at least that means our military might be hard as balls?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cleretic posted:

I'd participate in a Prime Minister Hunt.

ending in a hanged parliament?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

agreed, allowing them to get exactly what they want is the only sure path to stop them escalating further.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

asio posted:

I thought this was the greens echo chamber. War is Bad, lest we forget?

http://www.solidarity.net.au/imperialism/australia’s-war-against-japan-the-myth-of-the-&%238216;good-war&%238217;/

Or is this a "broken clock" thing, where if Australia sucks at human rights domestically at least that means our military might be hard as balls?

I've actually never heard anyone claim that the war in the pacific was a war to protect/promote human rights, the war of self defence/against an existential threat thing seems far more common.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I honestly don't know enough about this stuff to bother continuing this argument, I just really couldn't give a single gently caress about China taking some water and would prefer not to die in a nuclear holocaust over it. It's as simple and as non-thought out as that.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't this what is happening though?

Nobody (ok there might be probably some completely crazy neocon types) is advocating "china stop your poo poo or we will nuke Shanghai", what they are saying is that hawkish pro-war sentiments revolve around the idea that doing the above will be interpreted by China as hostility (which it already is) but inevitably lead to a violent escalation.

You can't do military exercises and protect shipping in the area unless you have a credible military force behind it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just really couldn't give a single gently caress about China taking some water and would prefer not to die in a nuclear holocaust over it.

look at this pussy, doesn't want to die in a nuclear holocaust

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I long for the sweet embrace of radioactive death.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I honestly don't know enough about this stuff to bother continuing this argument, I just really couldn't give a single gently caress about China taking some water and would prefer not to die in a nuclear holocaust over it. It's as simple and as non-thought out as that.

I suppose an analogy would be if Indonesia decided to claim the Tasman sea.

This whole thing is one of those no-win situations. Force freedom of movement and don't recognize China's claim, tension builds.

Ignore the issue and let China do whatever, we are effectively telling all the other nations in the area to suck it.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've actually never heard anyone claim that the war in the pacific was a war to protect/promote human rights, the war of self defence/against an existential threat thing seems far more common.

The fuzzy wuzzies and pigmies we saved as we pushed back the yellow horde

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Surely that's only ever been mentioned as an incidental benefit?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

open24hours posted:

Surely that's only ever been mentioned as an incidental benefit?

Sounds pretty similar to the pro-war lines of thinking in the thread atm is all

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's a shame the only options are on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I can't find an online article about it but reading the Advertiser at work this morning it's amazing how bare faced they can be. In regards to SA's power crisis of late, nowhere do they mention that soaring power prices have to do with deregulation and privatisation.

Instead, they and Greg Hunt blame:
  • A cold snap (fair enough)
  • A connection issue with our powerline to Victoria (okay)
  • Getting power from only one other state when a state like Victoria has links to 3
  • Using too many renewables

Now, I can understand base load power being affected by the amount of renewables being used but blaming high power prices on practically free energy is just completely backwards. Of course the 'Tiser quotes a conglomerate representing power companies to back up Hunt's claims :doh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK resident hawks. What about the Crimea? Ukraine? Tibet? Why aren't we actively pursuing military options in each of those cases? If we really want the Chinese to sit up and take notice we should slam some import restrictions on them. Now that also would need to be done with some care because people who know recent history will recall that this was a significant factor in Japan taking preemptive action against the US. The Chinese and the Vietnamese have been at each other for centuries. Remember this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War. The current claims and small actions in the South China Sea are reprehensible but any response has to be carefully planned and of a proximate level. It would additionally be nice if it was carefully tuned to achieve results rather than escalate matters. Unless you are an accelerationist, no level of escalation (or the build up of forces and materials) is a worthwhile outcome. As ever it won't be Rand McNaly and Serco that do the suffering and dying.

And before we get all high and mighty about China anyone remember the Timor Gap? http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2014/11/25/Australia-East-Timor-and-the-Timor-Gap.aspx The map doesn't look quite as extreme but we might like to think hard before playing the 'You are a regional bully' card too fervently. Speaking of local matters what of West Papua? and West Timor? Aren't these also matters of regional belligerence that need to be urgently addressed? :jerkbag: Yeah get back to me on those.

-/-

Now before completely leaving the subject of military madness and diplomacy ask yourself why, when it is clearly destroying segments of both the US and the Australian economy, this mania for free trade continues? It is 100% untruthful (In the sense that it has been demonstrated to not work) ideaology. And yet today we have:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-17/turnbull-will-challenge-opposition-on-budget-cuts/7749868

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull challenges Labor to back $6.5 billion budget cuts By political reporter Francis Keany Updated about 2 hours ago

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is set to use his first keynote speech since the election to challenge the Federal Opposition to support more than $6.5 billion in budget savings when Parliament resumes. Mr Turnbull will today promise to "reach across the aisle", and vow to "work constructively" with Labor and the crossbenchers to get budget cuts through the Senate. An omnibus bill will be introduced once Parliament resumes on August 30, containing a number of budget proposals the Coalition believes Labor indicated it would support during the federal election campaign. "We are ready to reach across the aisle. But Labor must be prepared to bring an open mind and some fiscal rationality to any discussions, as well as a commitment to support spending reductions they have already said they will back," Mr Turnbull will say. "The budget bottom line that Labor outlined during the campaign relied on over $6 billion in Coalition savings that they have not reversed, including $3 billion in measures that they previously opposed. "The time for posturing is over. The reform challenges for Australia are significant."

PM to warn protectionism could 'destabilise' growth

Extracts of Mr Turnbull's speech, provided by his office, show he will also use the address at the Committee for Economic Development of Australia conference in Melbourne to warn that protectionism is "starting to gain a foothold". The Prime Minister will caution against stoking anger with those who feel they have missed out from the benefits of globalisation and economic growth (Well they aren't alone Malform, the list of globalisation beneficiaries gets smaller by the day and economist have had to invest in electron microscopes to find signs of growth MUPPET). "Political divisions in advanced economies — particularly where there is high unemployment or a high risk of unemployment — are feeding on a sense of disenfranchisement among many people who feel the rapid economic changes of our time have left them behind," he will say. "Political responses to this mood of disaffection can have the potential to destabilise global growth, perhaps even reversing some of the spectacular gains we have made over recent decades through open markets and free trade." (The peasants are revolting! Don't they know this is for my own good?)

Mr Turnbull will also pledge that business tax cuts remain high on the Government's agenda going into the new Parliament, as well as reintroducing the Australian Building and Construction Commission.(Jesus loving wept) Treasurer Scott Morrison earlier this month said Labor indicated its support for $6.5 billion worth of measures, after the Opposition included them in its pre-election costings. It is unclear how many of those budget cuts will end up being included in the Coalition's proposed bill when it is introduced to Parliament.
It's almost like they realise their policies are hurting people. Stop cutting poo poo you douche bags. It doesn't work. It fucks the economy. Restructure taxation to redistribute wealth. Perhaps a return to the tax rates of the fifties? And for fucks sake stop with the trickle down two! This time it works! bull poo poo. Oh gently caress it I'm getting my rude agricultural implements and coming to Canberra for a bit of uppity peasant action. After all, you have to draw the line somewhere and this is the only language these people understand.

Act now or become one of the under class. You know like our indigenous cousins.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-16/indigenous-death-in-custody-the-aboriginal-legal-service-says/7748554

quote:

NSW records first Indigenous death in police cell since 2000, Aboriginal Legal Service says By state political reporter Sarah Gerathy Updated yesterday at 5:13pm

New South Wales has suffered its first Indigenous death in a police cell in 16 years, the Aboriginal Legal Service says. The ABC reported on the death of Rebecca Maher, 36, at the Maitland Police Station on July 19, but police did not reveal at the time that she was Aboriginal. Police said she was found dead in a cell less than six hours after she was arrested walking along a road in Cessnock while appearing intoxicated. The Aboriginal Legal Service's chief executive, Gary Oliver, has accused police of failing to follow proper protocols, which dictate officers must alert the Custody Notification Service (CNS) whenever an Indigenous person is arrested. "There wasn't any notification that Ms Maher was being held by police," Mr Oliver said. "We're very concerned that there's been a procedural failure this time. If the CNS had been used by police when they detained Ms Maher, there may have been a different outcome."

He also criticised police for not notifying the Aboriginal Legal Service of Ms Maher's death until August 12. The ABC has sought comment from NSW Police about whether officers were aware Ms Maher was Aboriginal, and why they did not alert the custody notification service of her arrest. "A critical incident investigation is underway with all information to be provided to the coroner. It would be inappropriate to comment further," a police spokesperson said. Mr Oliver said the custody notification service ensured Aboriginal people who were arrested have access to a lawyer and a health check. "Even if a person is seen to be intoxicated, the police still ring us and let us know they've got a person in custody, and NSW Police ensure that person in custody is made safe," he said. Mr Oliver said it was the first Indigenous death in a police cell since the notification service was introduced in 2000. Police launched a critical incident investigation immediately following the woman's death, which will also be examined by a coronial inquest. The custody notification service was one of the key recommendations of the 1991 Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. The notification service was recently thrown a lifeline after a funding stoush between the Federal and State governments.
Yeah go on cut those services more Turdball! Go hard!

So we know the police involved disobeyed their own procedures. What else did they do to provoke this woman's death? I really hope the coroner takes this one up with vigilance because I smell pig flavoured fishy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Crimea, Ukraine & Tibet all have nothing to do with our Regional security.

I'm not pro-war by any means, but it's facetious to suggest that China's shenanigans in South Asia are in any way equivalent from an Australian perspective to those aforementioned conflicts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It is becoming increasingly difficult to see a future that doesn't involve armed conflict in the South China Sea. When the Chinese government is willing to state publicly that its citizens should prepare for war while simultaneously ignoring the UNCLOS tribunal on the legality of its navy violating territorial waters, we're reaching the end of the diplomatic rope - and it is absolutely China's fault.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
shut the gently caress up

Endman
May 18, 2010

Recoome posted:

shut the gently caress up

Can't argue with that

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i'm not super keen on the idea of war with china.

nor am i real keen on the idea of just letting china take whatever territory it wants.

diplomatic options seem to be running out fast or being ignored by the potential belligerents.

it's not a simple situation and trying to guess at potential outcomes is probably unhelpful.

china really are coming across as the aggressor though.

otoh duterte is a loving madman

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

i'm not super keen on the idea of war with china.

nor am i real keen on the idea of just letting china take whatever territory it wants.

diplomatic options seem to be running out fast or being ignored by the potential belligerents.

it's not a simple situation and trying to guess at potential outcomes is probably unhelpful.

china really are coming across as the aggressor though.

otoh duterte is a loving madman

Yeah the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Endman
May 18, 2010

While it annoys me to say so, we have to rely on America to be the limiting factor. It's really Washington that gets to decide how far this escalates.

Let's hope they don't elect Trump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

i wouldn't go that far

there probably is no truth

• Locked thread