Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This reminds me of a great blog where someone did a road trip to hit up all the major locations from New Vegas:
http://www.falloutnewvegastour.com/2011/03/introducing-my-fallout-new-vegas-tour_24.html

PleasingFungus posted:

this is a game and a series that features giant mutant ants and a superhero called The AntAgonizer

idk what you're expecting

In New Vegas, the army positions on the map make sense. The objective they're fighting for is reasonable and tied into real logistics and economic factors. The minor factions fit into the landscape in reasonable ways and you can see how culture and demographics is shaped by geography. There is enough wackiness to be fun, but it's subordinate to having the feel of a real lived-in region. And because Obsidian spent more than 15 minutes designing the lore, talking to the locals and reading books gives you a real sense of the history and geography of the place. That's cool.

Some people might like "Ooh, here's another wacky situation environmental storytelling 50s 50s 50s hurf durf :roflolmao: " but I didn't

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

New Vegas also has the best concept for a faction in any RPG ever, the Kings.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Obsidian's biggest strength is world building. Bethesda's strength is building funhouses. For better or worse a dead open world filled with interesting fun houses is more interesting to me than an accurately empty and desolate open world. I'm kind of with the folks that say an accurately built world isn't priority number 1 for an open world game and I prefer Obsidian's world building focused narrative style on a tighter path like Pillars of Eternity.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

those were pretty clearly explained in-game. did you actually play it?

I don't think they ever explained where the new children for the children-city came from

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In New Vegas, the army positions on the map make sense. The objective they're fighting for is reasonable and tied into real logistics and economic factors. The minor factions fit into the landscape in reasonable ways and you can see how culture and demographics is shaped by geography. There is enough wackiness to be fun, but it's subordinate to having the feel of a real lived-in region. And because Obsidian spent more than 15 minutes designing the lore, talking to the locals and reading books gives you a real sense of the history and geography of the place. That's cool.

Some people might like "Ooh, here's another wacky situation environmental storytelling 50s 50s 50s hurf durf :roflolmao: " but I didn't

yeah, nv and fallout 3 are very different games. i'm not sure we're really disagreeing, i think i'm just communicating poorly - sorry!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Well, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

But surely those kids mostly stay with their existing communities

If you snoop around their caves the background seems to be that the children-city was formed after the adults died on a schooltrip during the nuclear war. And they did the Logan's Run thing from the start so I don't see how they could remain a city

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Lamplight

quote:

Finally, one of the adults inside Vault 87 told the children to go away (saying that they were "already dead"). This was likely Peter Stevens, a vault technician stationed near the door to Little Lamplight, who thought that the children were hallucinations of his dead son. As a result, the kids turned against all "Mungos," kicking out residents once they turned 16.

So who the gently caress is kicking out their kids and sending them to this dumb cave

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can I assume that the thread title will be updated the second that V3 is finally announced?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Enjoy posted:

So who the gently caress is kicking out their kids and sending them to this dumb cave

memes

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Can I assume that the thread title will be updated the second that V3 is finally announced?

Yeah. Then it'll be "Still waiting on Victoria IV".

Enjoy posted:

My theory that I just made up right now is that they kidnap children from other settlements.

To kind of bring it back around to Paradox games without totally dropping the Fallout thing - I think it would be cool if Paradox and Obsidian did a team up for a new post-apocalyptic setting. I like Fallout but it's kind of the only game in town at the moment for its particular niche (I'm not counting Wasteland 2 because it's a classic isometric RPG rather than a shooter). Since the STALKER series died and the spiritual successor they're working on is taking forever, there really haven't been any more serious takes on post-apoc open world stuff (Metro is cool but not open world at all). My suggestion: Bring some of the After the End guys on board and build a full game out of that setting.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 17, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of Victoria, is 2 worth playing now? I remember when it first came out it was a typical paradox release with people saying to wait for patches/expansions.

I have fond memories of Victoria 1 since it was the first paradox grand strategy game that really clicked for me for some reason.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Speaking of Victoria, is 2 worth playing now? I remember when it first came out it was a typical paradox release with people saying to wait for patches/expansions.

I have fond memories of Victoria 1 since it was the first paradox grand strategy game that really clicked for me for some reason.

Yeah on release it was real buggy but it's a solid game now. Even without mods.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Enjoy posted:

Yeah on release it was real buggy but it's a solid game now. Even without mods.

Nice. I assume the content DLC (Heart of Darkness/House divided) is worth it too? And thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Nice. I assume the content DLC (Heart of Darkness/House divided) is worth it too? And thanks!

Absolutely get the DLC if you plan on playing Victoria 2.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The DLC are mandatory.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Enjoy posted:

For some reason I thought the game mentioned kids from Big Town being sent back but I guess not.

I should play some more After the End.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Just popped open this thread for first time in a while and was convinced I misclicked.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eh, the New Vegas map is dominated above all by being a horseshoe of progression that has the semblance of being an open-world but for practical purposes funnels the player along a certain series of locations. The bit where it opens up most of all (ie. the North East) is by far the weakest part of the map.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Only if you're not a bad enough dude to get past the cazadores or deathclaws at a low level.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only if you're not a bad enough dude to get past the cazadores or deathclaws at a low level.

You don't even need to fight past them, plenty of ways to sneak through the area. And the game doesn't flip its poo poo when you do. Perfectly viable way of going through the game. In any other game, you wouldn't be allowed into Vegas until you had gone through the entire themepark horseshoe but NV doesn't give a poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The game even hands you a stealth boy so you can do it easily.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

I disagree, having a lot of barren land made it feel so much more real than something like Skyrim where Those Bandits that have been hounding us for generations lived a stones throw away from the village, and where the huge trading hub for all of Skyrim has about 3 dudes and a cow in it. Post apocalyptic stuff works well for the limitations of not actually being able to put in half a million NPCs plus the desert felt appropriately wastelandy.

If anything I wish things were even more spread out.

The Witcher 3 'suffered' from that too, literally almost every village is ten meters away from some kind of ultra-aggressive monster(s) that pose(s) a serious threat even to an experienced witcher.

But contrary to you I do not wish things were more spread out, I hate wasting time getting to places in RPGs and will gladly choose convenience over realism.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

The Witcher 3 'suffered' from that too, literally almost every village is ten meters away from some kind of ultra-aggressive monster(s) that pose(s) a serious threat even to an experienced witcher.
To be fair, like half those monsters are either former/occasionally people, and a bunch of the others are there because of people and their activities.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

mods please merge this thread with the fallout one, it's what the people here want.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now, let me tell you how I feel about Fallout: New Vegas vs Fallout 3

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Phlegmish posted:

But contrary to you I do not wish things were more spread out, I hate wasting time getting to places in RPGs and will gladly choose convenience over realism.

See this is the fundamental difference, I don't see it as wasting time. In an open world RPG (especially a Bethesda one where the quests are dull as poo poo) I think exploring the world is as important a part of the game. If I wanted a more collected experience I'd play something that isn't open world.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

You don't even need to fight past them, plenty of ways to sneak through the area. And the game doesn't flip its poo poo when you do. Perfectly viable way of going through the game. In any other game, you wouldn't be allowed into Vegas until you had gone through the entire themepark horseshoe but NV doesn't give a poo poo.

The game even accounts for you discovering the Nipton massacre after meeting or even killing Vulpes in Vegas.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Heres the real scoop on the fallout series: it's bad (except 1 & 2)

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
thank you

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Anything without out auto-leveled loot and mobs please

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I realise the Fallout chat is in danger of becoming a proper derail but I'm really enjoying seeing NV get some love, everyone I speak to in real life and on non-games forums thinks Fallout 3 was the bestest game ever but New Vegas was a load of boring old poo poo and it makes me want to get animated about video game opinions.

Anyway, it's really made me want to try After the End after years of never playing CK2 with anything more radical than random hordes and shattered world.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Unsurprisingly Paradox have just had their most successful quarter ever.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2016/

quote:

- Revenues for the second quarter amounted to SEK 234.9 (182.0) million, an increase of 29 % compared to the same period last year.

- Operating profit amounted to SEK 142.3 (68.4) million, an increase of 108 %.

- Profit before tax amounted to SEK 142.9 (68.4) million, and profit after tax amounted to SEK 110.6 (53.2) million.

- Cash flow from operating activities amounted to SEK 62.1 (174.5) million, and cash flow from investing activities amounted to SEK -25.1 (-20.7) million.

- By the end of the period, cash and short term placements amounted to SEK 143.2 (176.4) million.

-During the second quarter of 2016, the internally developed games Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV were released. In addition, an expansion for Europa Universalis IV, “Mare Nostrum,” was released. Revenues from the second quarter of 2016 are mainly attributable to Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV, Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis IV, Pillars of Eternity and Crusader Kings II.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That'll happen when you release your two biggest internally developed titles ever in back to back months. Stellaris did surprise me in how well the Steamspy numbers were before Paradox got themselves delisted there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How many was it?

If your game sells over a million copies on Steam alone, you're approaching big league status.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Paradox have gone with Good Quarter have happened to them.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
They had at least sold a half million copies by mid June.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Paradox shares trading at 85% premium to list price. Well done to the new shareholders (admit that I don't know what the day 1 bump was like).

E: Also worth checking the first 6 months figures in the full report though as they are less flattering.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 25, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Progress Report from the Kaiserreich devs, via reddit.

This one's about Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Paradox shares trading at 85% premium to list price. Well done to the new shareholders (admit that I don't know what the day 1 bump was like).

E: Also worth checking the first 6 months figures in the full report though as they are less flattering.

It's too bad I couldn't get in on the Paradox IPO due to it not being traded in the USA. Would've liked to have snapped up some shares. :geno: