Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly they could fix all this by introducing a cone of fire to weapons. As a bonus it would make weapons ranges meaningful beyond having an outer limit on how far you can do damage. Just keep the spread of the cone proportional to distance. It makes sense that a Gauss rifle would be more true to the point of aim at 300 meters than an AC20. If alpha'ing with a Nova at 500 meters means you get a laser shotgun that peppers the whole enemy mech you really don't need BS like ghost heat.

gently caress, it would even be more TT-friendly than ghost heat if you want to approach it from that angle.

As an even bigger bonus it would give you all sorts of new ways to gently caress with quirks and even make target computers something really worth hauling around.

edit: LBX's would even have more of a point, since they're already a defined cone of damage. loving good luck pegging a sprinting light mech at 90 degrees deflection with a single AC 20 at anything but point blank range if you don't have pinpoint aiming, but a LBX20 could do the trick nicely. Pulse lasers could actually be re-worked to function kind of like they did in TT as well.

It's almost like different weapons could have defined roles that countered specific tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

It's a real shame there's no other balance levers. A reeeeeeal shame.

I don't think TTK is MWO's problem. If it goes down, then you die too fast without being able to react. If it goes down, then Xv1 situations and pubbie cowardice get even worse, because you can't prevent an enemy from crippling or killing you by attacking them. MWO's core alpha/TTK/survivability problem problem is that all damage adds up, you only have one life, and you almost always lack the maneuverability to escape a disadvantageous position without taking significant damage. All of these are core design decisions that MWO players - both here and elsewhere - actually like, in the abstract.

It doesn't matter if Russ, Paul, etc. are incompetent or not. There are no balance levers to get around the inevitable consequences of one-life ablative hitbars. MWO is going to forever go around and around, flailing about heat or TTK or what the gently caress ever because it cannot be unfucked without becoming an entirely different game.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
It's funny that Scouting (4vs4 max 55tons) is a very cool game mode. Except for the whole collect poo poo and escape thing. Which amusingly is the same mode MPBT 3025 had on the majority of worlds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's funny that Scouting (4vs4 max 55tons) is a very cool game mode. Except for the whole collect poo poo and escape thing. Which amusingly is the same mode MPBT 3025 had on the majority of worlds.

4v4 was also pretty much the optimal size for tabletop. Enough poo poo going on that it was interesting, not so much that turns bogged down.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly they could fix all this by introducing a cone of fire to weapons.

An argument that has gone on since closed beta. Good luck with that! (unironically!)

Tank Boy Ken posted:

MPBT 3025 solved a lot of the problems MWO has, 15 years before it came out.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Since theyll give me a hellbringer for being an idiot, should i get 2 more next to elite them?
Are they worth it, or should i go for the cataphracts?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Since theyll give me a hellbringer for being an idiot, should i get 2 more next to elite them?

They're my favourite Clan Heavies. A bit fragile compared to T-Wolfs, but ECM and the high torso mounts are nice to have. Build variety is okay, 4x ER LL, 1x ER LL, + 5x ER Med and brawling are all possible.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My KingCrab is cursed i tell you...

CURSED!

I will go HBs then i guess, the ecm/3E torso looks like a nobrainer, and the loyalty variant brings an Energy-RT and people say its good to have, so...

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I like my Hellbringer well enough, and the variants you buy don't matter. Due to the way omnipods work in basically unquirked mechs, you can just jam a fit you like (ECM, some lasers, maybe an AC, probably mid-range because you're fragile) on any given variants you buy.

RE: Cataphracts, I don't know personally, but people have been playing them on the goon drops and getting solid results. The 0XP is the existing ECM variant that seems most reliable, complete with durability quirks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Most cataphracts have a problem of really wanting an XL in order to bring out the best in them.
They are also wide as a barn and about as armored. They're great secondary firing line/fire support mechs but you tend to die easily. Standard fits feel undergunned to me but the 70 ton heavy bracket is my jam.

Hellbringers have similar problems in their fragility but being able to always take an ECM helps with flying under the radar to not get shot at.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So, the sale's about ot end, and I need to buy some assaults to round out my stables.

So far:
Atlas DDC
Battlemaster 2c
A victor. Probably 9b or 9s, as I have heard they're amazing brawlers that are xl safe.
Maybe a banshee. i have a 3E from the op, and did not enjoy it. I could be sold on these.
Possibly a gargoyle.

Convince me otherwise, and/or what to go for. Are there any worth insta-buying 3?

I have 42m to work with. I play lots of atlas, and have kodiaks, so I don't really see the need for king crabs and maulers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

atlas is worth mastering if you haven't already, the speed bonus is really felt there

if you do group drops at all maulers are useful. They're good mechs and 90 tons is a useful weight to have in your garage.

Battlemasters are good, but weigh the same as a stalker.

Did victors get a stealth buff? I've never noticed them being any kind of a threat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Victors can do work but aren't really suited to the current meta

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Most cataphracts have a problem of really wanting an XL in order to bring out the best in them.
They are also wide as a barn and about as armored. They're great secondary firing line/fire support mechs but you tend to die easily. Standard fits feel undergunned to me but the 70 ton heavy bracket is my jam.

This is wrong. All the X variant 'phracts can face tank like a loving beast. My 0XP only runs five weapons on it ( 4 MLas and an AC20 ) and I consistently am one of the top scorers with it. Yeah, it's not for everyone because brawling DOES require a STD and sometimes Ferro Fib and Endo, but telling people it dies easy and is only a support mech is wrong. At 22 points to CT Structure, it can afford to be as wide as it is because you can soak up a LOT of damage and keep going.

It's mainly the 3D that got poo poo on and everyone knows why for that one. The Muromets and 4X just have a lower engine cap than the others but it doesn't make them less good.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Skoll posted:

This is wrong. All the X variant 'phracts can face tank like a loving beast. My 0XP only runs five weapons on it ( 4 MLas and an AC20 ) and I consistently am one of the top scorers with it. Yeah, it's not for everyone because brawling DOES require a STD and sometimes Ferro Fib and Endo, but telling people it dies easy and is only a support mech is wrong. At 22 points to CT Structure, it can afford to be as wide as it is because you can soak up a LOT of damage and keep going.

It's mainly the 3D that got poo poo on and everyone knows why for that one. The Muromets and 4X just have a lower engine cap than the others but it doesn't make them less good.

What this guy said.

Cataphracts with heavy structure quirks rule with an STD in a brawl.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For reference, this is the super simple 0XP build I use. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=311&l=5fe5717ea843b3a84fadca033bbf5b5731d49054

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anyone have experience with a 4x LBX10 Kodiak? Thinking of converting my UAC10 one.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Skoll posted:

For reference, this is the super simple 0XP build I use. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=311&l=5fe5717ea843b3a84fadca033bbf5b5731d49054

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Seconding the amazing 0xp. This is what I run. Both work fine. Standard engine, max critstuffing for engines and the 20.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Anyone have experience with a 4x LBX10 Kodiak? Thinking of converting my UAC10 one.

Best robot in the game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Do you want to do close to or over 1000 damage a game, and eat armor and components at insane speeds as long as you fight mid-close range?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

TheParadigm posted:

Seconding the amazing 0xp. This is what I run. Both work fine. Standard engine, max critstuffing for engines and the 20.
There are no engine crits in MWO, so you can move the BAP to the AC/20 torso and have an extra ton to play with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I find the lb40 kodiak underwhelming. I want to love it, but you just don't have that crazy loving double alpha. If you're having trouble overheating just down shift to a 2uac10 2uac5

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I remembered that this is a thing after several years of forgetting about it. Is now a good time to start playing it, and if so could someone pm me information about the mumble server?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

mumble.goonrathi.com pw:mellon

:wom:

e: :ducksiren:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Tips for the XL 280, 4x MPLas, 2x LBX-10 Catapult K2? I have 4 tons of ammo, having stripped some leg armor for weight, and the rest is heat sinks.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

I find the lb40 kodiak underwhelming. I want to love it, but you just don't have that crazy loving double alpha. If you're having trouble overheating just down shift to a 2uac10 2uac5

2x UAC5 and 2x UAC 10 with 2x ER ML is still hotter than 4x LB-10X. Even without the ER ML.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

As for Cataphracts I found them mostly miserable, but the 0XP was the exception. The ML/AC20 builds linked are alright, but I preferred an AC20/LPL build. This lets you go full deadside with much better convergence and a slightly bigger alpha at the slight expense of either heat or speed, depending on your preference. I consistently perform well in this thing, even on brawl-unfavorable maps like Polar.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Muromets is really nice I find. I run it with an XL, 3xuac/5s and a PPC. But you can also do it with 2 MLs instead of the PPC, or only use the 3 uac/5s and put a STD engine in it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Artificer posted:

Tips for the XL 280, 4x MPLas, 2x LBX-10 Catapult K2? I have 4 tons of ammo, having stripped some leg armor for weight, and the rest is heat sinks.

Hold back for most of the fight using your lbxs to keep snipers heads down, then roll in at the mid/late game and eat damaged robots alive.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Which raises another question, will the loyalty MASCaphract be worth taking over the ECMaphract?
1B + 5E with masc sounds like a good brawler on paper (if memory serves, cant check at work).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to rip MASC out personally. At 75, the Phract is already plenty speedy for its tonnage.

I'll probably build the 3L similarly to the 0XP, with an added Medium I guess and the saved tonnage from the ECM going to either a marginally larger engine or just another DHS.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

So, the sale's about ot end, and I need to buy some assaults to round out my stables.

So far:
Atlas DDC
Battlemaster 2c
A victor. Probably 9b or 9s, as I have heard they're amazing brawlers that are xl safe.
Maybe a banshee. i have a 3E from the op, and did not enjoy it. I could be sold on these.
Possibly a gargoyle.

Convince me otherwise, and/or what to go for. Are there any worth insta-buying 3?

I have 42m to work with. I play lots of atlas, and have kodiaks, so I don't really see the need for king crabs and maulers.

Well Maulers let you run the 5x5 mx90, kingcrabs might be outdated but still fun.
I tried to love the highlander iic due to the glorious weapon arm but its rubbish in every aspect.

Ive seen some ppc-boating awesomes that might be fun if not best in slot.
Direwolves basically fell victim to the kodiak.
If i had cash to spare, id try warhawks for a speedy alternative, but ultimatly i dont think it can do anything a kodiak doesnt manage.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I'm going to rip MASC out personally. At 75, the Phract is already plenty speedy for its tonnage.

I'll probably build the 3L similarly to the 0XP, with an added Medium I guess and the saved tonnage from the ECM going to either a marginally larger engine or just another DHS.

My only masc-mech is the spirit bear, and i can honestly say its AMAZING for acceleration.
Tipping the button sees you at max speed, which is godlike for a 100-ton assault, but i can see diminishing returns in a heavy.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hope you like your autocannons:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/230555-power-draw-what-we-know-how-it-will-work/

looks like its not ghost heat, its... ghost heat.
Appearently you can alpha for aroudn 30 damage and then it heat-spikes you to narnia.

First question that pops up in my mind, will the clan ppcs count as 10 or 15?
Second is, will an Atlas survive its own alpha?

e:
Someone did some testing, probably on pts math with the data revealed up until now.

quote:

Test(1)
5MPL fired, 30damage in 0-0.5sec, no penalty heat(20Heat Total)

Test(2)
6MPL fired, 36damage in 0-0.5sec, +6(30ish%) penalty heat(30Heat Total)

Test(3)
7MPL fired, 42damage in 0-0.5sec, +33(120ish%) penalty heat(61Heat Total)

General opinion seems to be 30 damage per 0.5sec being the safe cap, so ballistic boats like the 5x5 // 6x5 maulers will rule supreme.
I have one of those, and so should you.
Get them while theyre on sale.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 17, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PUNISH THE SRMS

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Black widow purchase looking sound. Free nova not so much.

Will my oxide/splatwolf be ok :ohdear:?

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 17, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/230555-power-draw-what-we-know-how-it-will-work/

Appearently you can alpha for aroudn 30 damage and then it heat-spikes you to narnia.

First question that pops up in my mind, will the clan ppcs count as 10 or 15?
Second is, will an Atlas survive its own alpha?

e:
Someone did some testing, probably on ptu

What.The.gently caress?

Ghost heat is complicated and extremely stupid but at least it can be boiled down to "Don't fire x amount of y weapon at the same time". This seems to be....insane, like a fevered dream.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thanks for the link. I wonder how this is supposed to promote variety. And what variety is supposed to solve. I can't believe that they are creating this system to push "stock" or "bracket" loadouts as the way the game is meant to be played.
So if you get a huge spike for s light increase in alpha damage (example: 5-10 over limit), then builds will be around getting to max "allowed" alpha and then getting the highest DPS possible.
I guess it will be too much to ask to have a "Energy" Scale besides the heat scale in the UI. So people will get live and direct feedback.

TjyvTompa posted:

What.The.gently caress?

Ghost heat is complicated and extremely stupid but at least it can be boiled down to "Don't fire x amount of y weapon at the same time". This seems to be....insane, like a fevered dream.

It's easy, don't fire more than X damage at once, unless you have Weapon class A, this only counts for 75%. Oh and Weapon Class D counts for 120%. While Weapon Class Z counts for 50%. Enjoy!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Some say cannons and missiles arent affected, some say they are and will be useless.
Some say that not all weapons will scale their draw with damage 1:1, i.e. cannons drawing 7 power for 5 damage to prevent boating, whereas missiles could draw 1 per 2 damage or something like that.
Just assuming it stays the way its prophecied, you cant fire 3LPL safely, but 3ppcs are ok. An ac20 and a srm6 would not be safe, dual gauss would.

Whatever it will be im sure it will gently caress 90% of current builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
And it'll take people about 90 seconds to work out what will be optimal under the new system and then they'll use that.

• Locked thread