Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Okay so judging from how completely ridiculous the guy at the mic looks, I thought TPM was going to be a satire/parody site. I should have known better than to hope for that.

You're taught to wear hats like that in the military, most people stop after they get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

axe_vendetta posted:

Clinton's team is getting started on debate prep already and they're having a difficult job casting Trump's stand-in. My tip is Jared Leto, such a dedicated method actor that he turned himself into a monumental rear end in a top hat for his latest role. Or could they just do it on the cheap and trawl run-down psychiatric hospitals for grossly undermedicated paranoid schizophrenics. What say you goons?

It's actually just gonna be Joe Biden wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap over an orange toupee.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Michael Moore says Trump never expected to get this far and is purposely sabotaging himself..

http://michaelmoore.com/TrumpSabotage/

Didn't Michael Moore just have one of his really bad polls/extrapolations or whatever a week or so back about how Trump was definitely winning

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife is freaking out about all these companies getting out of Obamacare when they have crazy high stock prices that are only going up. She's from Korea. The funny thing is I totally agree with her but she keeps going after it like I'm supposed to disagree.

I suspect a lot of non-Americans from countries with UHC have a hard time understanding how Americans put up with their crappy health care system. I honestly get the politics behind the US system and understand why reform is so hard. However I have to admit to an irrational instinct to personally blame Americans for failing to implement UHC, like are you guys too stupid or something? A bunch of total backwater nations managed to implement single-payer, you can't seriously claim it's impossible in the vaunted US of A etc etc.

Re the Aetna thing, I honestly thought Obamacare was a major win for the insurance industry. Mandating everyone buy private health insurance and suppressing any sort of public option seemed like an insurance company CEO fever dream. I was completely wrong, they can't even keep up the pretense of the private sector being able to provide health insurance for the entire population. The insurers leaving the exchanges are all but formally announcing they only want to insure people who don't have any real health issues and let the government deal with the rest.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Trump and his surrogates have obsessively vilified Clinton this election cycle with such utter foaming-at-the-mouth, burn-the-witch vitriol it's going to be strange seeing them in the same room together, let alone attempting to have some kind of conventional political debate. I mean, there's "going negative"and then there's mock Stalinesque show trials, calls for execution by firing squad for treason, blaming Clinton for founding America's numero uno enemy and of course the "2nd amendment people" travesty. Even if Trump goes ahead with the debate, he's continually made the classic mistake of drinking his own kool-aid. There is no way he will be able to treat his opponent with civility or respect. And I'm not even going to bother arguing that Clinton will mop the floor with him, it's how he reacts that could send us into uncharted waters. I'm hoping for a national meltdown of historical proportions

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Tonk posted:

You're taught to wear hats like that in the military, most people stop after they get out.

Nobody I know in the military wears a ballcap like that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

So what are the odds of house republicans trying to spin this against Hillary? The FBI turning over their investigation report to the House seems like a really bad idea, and a partisan move by Comey.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/16/politics/hillary-clinton-interview-fbi-notes/index.html

Wasn't Comey obligated to release them since congress requested it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Didn't Michael Moore just have one of his really bad polls/extrapolations or whatever a week or so back about how Trump was definitely winning

I think he just posted a "this'll scare them into voting!" Kind of article about how trump could win if we don't have good turnout

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mr Interweb posted:

Wasn't Comey obligated to release them since congress requested it?

I could be wrong, but the FBI isn't required to release those reports, as it may damage future investigations.

I feel like there is almost no chance the house doesn't leak choice damaging quotes against Hillary.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DarkstarIV posted:

I could be wrong, but the FBI isn't required to release those reports, as it may damage future investigations.

I feel like there is almost no chance the house doesn't leak choice damaging quotes against Hillary.

It's all huffing and puffing for fucks sake. It was evident from day 1 of this email thing that the gop has gently caress all because Hillary did gently caress all wrong.

It was the same drat thing during the Benghazi poo poo fest and likewise for every other fake scandal they dredged out of Rush Limbaugh's rear end.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 17, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Sir Tonk posted:

You're taught to wear hats like that in the military MARINES (HOOAH), most people stop after they get out.

Fixed it. Whenever I see someone who isn't active duty wearing that hat I automatically know that they are still living their past glory days.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

This is painfully stupid. I think it might be oriented towards scaring people into voting by being intentionally disingenuous, but it's still so dumb that it's hard to read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DarkstarIV posted:

That'd be especially ironic considering that the report in question is classified. :v:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

Comey seemed to insist that he made the right call in not charging Hillary with the release of those new notes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/08/16/hillary-clinton-interviews-by-fbi-have-been-delivered-to-congress/

They also say this:

quote:

The bureau said in a statement the materials were provided to “assist [lawmakers] in their oversight responsibilities in this matter,” and they were turned over “with the expectation it will not be disseminated or disclosed” unless the agency agrees.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr Interweb posted:

Comey seemed to insist that he made the right call in not charging Hillary with the release of those new notes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/08/16/hillary-clinton-interviews-by-fbi-have-been-delivered-to-congress/

They also say this:

His mistake is expecting professional courtesy from a rabid partisan panel, the members of whom are legally immune to any consequences for any documents they release as part of their work.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Grouchio posted:

I'm paranoid and resentful of many things, Fishmech.

You've been doin this for years, dude. what the hell is bothering you now

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Can someone point me to examples in our current age of pundit and poll-driven political media in which voter complacency due to early gains has had a measurable effect on the outcome of an election? It makes common sense that counting your electors before theyve hatched is a bad idea, but it could also be the case that people are actually further encouraged to go out and vote because they are on the "winning team". Just curious.

In this case in particular, Trump is really scaring people. I don't see complacency in the left about the poll results, just an indescribable sense of relief that sanity has prevailed but no loss of resolve to follow this through to the bitter end. But that''s only my opinion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Armani posted:

You've been doin this for years, dude. what the hell is bothering you now

He's been having some sort of breakdown across multiple threads and subforums.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axe_vendetta posted:

Can someone point me to examples in our current age of pundit and poll-driven political media in which voter complacency due to early gains has had a measurable effect on the outcome of an election? It makes common sense that counting your electors before theyve hatched is a bad idea, but it could also be the case that people are actually further encouraged to go out and vote because they are on the "winning team". Just curious.

Studies have shown that this is exactly true. People are just longing to freak out over something that they're scared that they're winning by too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Studies have shown that this is exactly true. People are just longing to freak out over something that they're scared that they're winning by too much.

I think people are genuinely worried that things are going to well and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Be it the October Surprise, Hillary accidentally calling someone a foul name on TV or Trump somehow managing to convince everyone to vote for him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

They also say this:

lol welp, they're idiots or it's a wink wink nudge nudge thing because every witch hunt committee the GOP has ever run has been leaky as gently caress, by design

Expect the full report to be in the hands of every far right PAC and O'Keefe style moran within 24 hours

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

I think people are genuinely worried that things are going to well and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Be it the October Surprise, Hillary accidentally calling someone a foul name on TV or Trump somehow managing to convince everyone to vote for him.

I don't doubt that they're genuine, I just think if this isn't the clearest "Slam dunk put it out of your mind" situation, nothing is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Good news is that r/politics is becoming a tolerable place once more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nocturtle posted:

I suspect a lot of non-Americans from countries with UHC have a hard time understanding how Americans put up with their crappy health care system. I honestly get the politics behind the US system and understand why reform is so hard. However I have to admit to an irrational instinct to personally blame Americans for failing to implement UHC, like are you guys too stupid or something? A bunch of total backwater nations managed to implement single-payer, you can't seriously claim it's impossible in the vaunted US of A etc etc.

Re the Aetna thing, I honestly thought Obamacare was a major win for the insurance industry. Mandating everyone buy private health insurance and suppressing any sort of public option seemed like an insurance company CEO fever dream. I was completely wrong, they can't even keep up the pretense of the private sector being able to provide health insurance for the entire population. The insurers leaving the exchanges are all but formally announcing they only want to insure people who don't have any real health issues and let the government deal with the rest.
I'm just hoping that this leads to an actual public option, but I tend to doubt it. The main problem I had with Obamacare was exactly this: that it was a half-measure at best. Granted, going from our current system straight to single-payer would be messy, but considering how the right-wing has acted like Obamacare is basically that anyway, that's what they should have done. People like Max Baucus in the Senate ensured that there would be no public option though, since they were buddies with the healthcare industry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Michael Moore got really bad when he grew weird long hair

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Michael Moore got really bad when he grew weird long hair

Moore has always been an rear end in a top hat, unfortunately individuals outside the hellscape known as Michigan have had to hear his BS.

Fuckin' commie apologizer, doesn't even max out his contributions to causes he claims to believe in. If you-d rather put food than money where your mouth is, go gently caress useless self.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nobody I know in the military wears a ballcap like that.

They're not wearing like a ballcap, they're taking it and squaring it off a bit to make it look like a utility cap

Why? Who the gently caress knows.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I didn't see it here, but John McLaughlin has died.

Edit: nm, looks like I needed to go back a few more pages.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

I didn't see it here, but John McLaughlin has died.

John McLaughlin: LIFE OF MEANING or DEAD TOO SOON? Here tonight to discuss the issue are David Brooks and some woman I met at the tortilla coast bar.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

axe_vendetta posted:

Clinton's team is getting started on debate prep already and they're having a difficult job casting Trump's stand-in. My tip is Jared Leto, such a dedicated method actor that he turned himself into a monumental rear end in a top hat for his latest role. Or could they just do it on the cheap and trawl run-down psychiatric hospitals for grossly undermedicated paranoid schizophrenics. What say you goons?

If Bill Maher doesn't hate the Clintons he'd be loving perfect.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Maybe Steven Colbert

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Zhirinovskiy.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's not a baseball cap, guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That's not a baseball cap, guys.

The trucker hat is a degenerate form of baseball cap.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

trap spring, randroid

i knew you hadn't watched twin peaks yet

http://i.imgur.com/Lbv8iEF.jpg

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

The trucker hat is a degenerate form of baseball cap.

Trucker hats are amazing once it gets over a 100 degrees though, degenerate or not.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I conflate support of Trump with an abdication of the responsibilities of being a citizen of this country in regards to things like protecting the Constitution and the separation of powers, not to mention the recognition of the fact that the history of America will based on the decisions made by person we elect. And in that respect, the numbers that Trump is still getting are kind of tragic.

On a different note, it would be an interesting project to put up a series of three or four quotes on a topic - the previous couple presidents, Hillary, and Trump - without attribution, to see if they can be identified. It's darkly hilarious to put a quote by Trump and a quote by Obama next to each other and think this could be America's next step.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

If Bill Maher doesn't hate the Clintons he'd be loving perfect.

He's got the self-centered poo poo head down for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
I really think Trump effectively conceded defeat when he announced his enemy was just as much the ""crooked media"" as CrookedHillary. A war against the national media - which is what is happening in Trump's mind - is in Trump''s mind a doomed but righteous struggle. A war that can be lost without dishonor.

Even more so than his feelings about possible vote rigging, it gives him a preconceived excuse not to participate in election tradition, such as the debates and publicizing his tax return and true health status since he can claim the MSM can't be trusted or compromised with. The lie of a hostile media resolves the cognitive dissonance of Trump being one of the worst presidential candidates in recent history (after all, in Trump's internal mythology, it took a great conspiracy of the entire national media to bring him down). When narcissists fail they don't take a long hard look in the mirror, they simply change the goal posts and maintain it was ever thus.

• Locked thread